Tequatl the Funless

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

After having a few goes at Tequatl 2.0, I have to say that for me, this is one of the most frustrating updates to this game. The following are my reasons.

1. Deaths from….everything!

ANet, I don’t know how to stress this enough. Spending more time dead, than fighting is frustrating, and excitement draining experience.

There is simply no need for poison pools/enemies to drain heath at a rate that verges on instant death. This adds nothing at all to the fight other than frustration.

Before people start up with the, “Learn to dodge” arguments. I only have so many dodges. In addition, many times the AoE circles are overlapping, hidden by water/FX, or simply larger than they appear on screen.

ANet, I understand that you’re trying this new idea where you’re trying to encourage players to move around, opposed to standing in one place auto attacking, but there is a difference between getting us moving, and getting us contently killed.

2. Player Interaction

When players are frustrated, they start taking it out on others. The Teq 2.0 fight is bringing out the worst in players. People are shouting, insulting, abusing others, and even going so far as to avoid reviving people.

When a game is designed in a way that causes so much frustration, something needs to be looked at. This is a video game, we’re all here to have fun. If the task at hand is frustrating to the point where players are lashing out, then something is wrong.

3. Timers and Persistance

Lets be honest here. This boss fight plays out like a sitcom episode. Player are now understanding that if the timer is at a certain point, and the dragon health is at a certain point…it’s a total bust.

Players stop caring, they stop trying, and they start leaving.

When players band together to beat a world boss, they want to feel like at any time the tide will turn and something will start going right. They want to feel like if they can get a few players to cooperate, it may sway things in their favour.

Teq 2.0 has none of that. You know in the first 5 minutes if it’s worth trying or not. The only reason many are even sticking around is because there is a “boss daily” that they need.

Timers do not encourage players to push on and get er dun!

4. Achievements

ANet….you have forums, use them! Players have been saying for months that achievements that rely on groups of people doing everything right, are ridiculous. Not everyone has the same goals, and not everyone cares if they win or lose. Relying on everyone else to care that I get my achievements will never work.

You have to start listening. Let ME achieve something, they are MY achievements, not Captain Spanky’s and Sally Supercools’ I’m fighting with.

Look, I get what you’re trying to do with these boss fights. I appreciate that you’re taking the time to try and find solutions to the monotony of most of these boss fights, but you need to take the time to understand what does, and doesn’t work.

Simply throwing in super-kill mechanics and upping the HP is not a long term solution. Players will not stick around and attempt these bosses if it becomes nothing more than a futile effort, on top of a massive gold sync.

Players will find something else to do if they start feeling like nothing they do matters anyway, and the whole thing is doomed from the start. I do not appreciate walking into an update and finding myself dead for most of the fight. There is nothing fun about that.

I would personally really like to hear thoughts from other players regarding your experience, and how you feel the fight(s) could be improved.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Challenging content should also be punishing.
If that’s something you don’t like, there’s plenty of content out there.
Personally, I hate SAB and I have played it maybe twice and I don’t care about the fact that I wont get all achievements or weapon skins, and I don’t come here whining about it, why can’t you do the same?

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

Simply put, maybe this content is not for you. This is hard content and people have been asking for stuff like this for a while.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

1) Uh, no. If you are dying repeatedly, there are multiple ways you can fix that. Does your gear have toughness/vitality? The best gear for this fight is Power/Toughness/Vitality, since you cannot crit him. This gives you plenty of effective health to survive poison for long periods of time, easily survive wave damage, and gives you plenty of time to heal/dodge.

2) Agreed. Thats one of the reasons this event should have been in a raid instance. You cant expect a group of random players to defeat this boss, aint gonna happen.

3) The timer is only there to make it harder to kill him, it serves no other purpose. Lazy design.

4) Agreed.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I love all these comments about, it should be punishing, and, at last a worthy event, yadda yudda, its BS,

I love the idea behind an event is hard, and takes time to learn, what I CANNOT stand, is the fact it fails time and time again because of people who jump in the dam turrets ( WHICH ARE NEEDED TO WIN) and then decide oh ill go AFK for an hour now, hope no one will mind,

We just failed teq, 2 of the people in turrets where afk, 2 more where firing the turrets in the total wrong direct, it took 12 minutes to get teq down to 75%

Clearly when this event was designed and apparently tested ( I use that term openly ) everyone on there test server was active, I guess they never thought for 1 moment that in the open world there might, just might be clueless people, people who love to afk, or people who love to troll ( IE, firing the turrets the wrong way )

So far the only way to really beat him, is to get a group together a good hour before the event spawns, go down to teq ( on the primary server ) and wait, because if you leave it nearer the time, you can bet that the afk’s are already waiting in the turrets.

I understand your comment about if you don’t like it then don’t do it, but fact is they decided to link rewards to this event that CAN ONLY be gotten if you take part in the event, but the event can be failed before it starts….. it needs addressing.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Carrera.9016

Carrera.9016

Unfortunatelly one or a couple servers managed to kill him using www zerg strats, so the conclusion is, if onr could do it, then all others should.

So we are stuck with Teq the Funless for a while.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Judging from your post only, you seem to not fully understand the encounter mechanics yet.

That aside and even once you do, this content is probably not for you because it sounds like you prefer lone-wolfing, while this encounter is a team effort.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I believe the majority of complaints don’t stem from ‘this is too hard for me, make it easier’, but from ’I’d like to succeed at this hard content, but my success depends on what 79 other random people are doing’.

I don’t want raids in GW2 (or at all, really), but I can see why people think this encounter should be raid content. The fight definitely requires coordination, and I just don’t see how you can realistically achieve that with 80 random people on an overflow server :/
Yes, I know he has been beaten by several servers. But if your server/overflow lacks competent commanders (or vocal people in the chat), you just don’t stand a chance – and that’s quite frustrating.

Polka will never die

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Agree wholeheartedly with everything the OP said.

Nick, the SAB isn’t my cup of tea either but I don’t complain about it because it’s good. The Tequatl encounter should be my cup of tea but I unfortunately I don’t think it’s good, for the reasons outlined above. I hate having to read players cussing out everyone who was downed and blaming them for failure (fortunately I stick to turret defence so I’m never the target of these comments but if I were, you bet that I wouldn’t come back to the encounter). Mind you, I don’t think I’ll ever get to play on my own server … yesterday I only managed to get into overflow, despite one of the attempts being at an off-peak time (and turning up 5 minutes early).

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Judging from your post only, you seem to not fully understand the encounter mechanics yet.

That aside and even once you do, this content is probably not for you because it sounds like you prefer lone-wolfing, while this encounter is a team effort.

The problem with outlining concerns on this forum is that you often have to address the many, “You need to learn how to play” responses that are sure to follow. The problem with this overly dismissive and often fallacious argument is that most players who take the time to write out there criticisms, are often quite aware of what needs to be done.

I understand the concept here. I understand that big red circles, mean poison. Poison, equals death. To avoid death, avoid the poison.

The issue is, as I have stated above, I am relying on a lot of factors to go right (for 15 minutes) for me to stay alive long enough to participate in the battle. For example, when I am not dodging overlapping, super quick killing, often invisible AoE circles (That I am waiting for someone on a turret to clear), I am dodging “fingers”, mobs, waves, projectiles, Tequatl, etc.

I could probably handle most of these with my top level 80 armour, but the problem is that most of the things trying to kill me are scaled up so high, I often don’t have time to even react.

I go down, and I now must WP and run back to the fight, often finding myself dead again. The more times you die, the more your gear is damaged. The more it’s damaged the more it costs, or the more you die.

Needless to say, I get the mechanics. There is nothing inherently difficult in what is going on from a gameplay perspective. I just can’t stand mechanics that overly punish players to the point they’re not even playing.

As for the idea that it should be punishing. I wholeheartedly disagree. Chess can be a challenging game, but you don’t have to jam your hand with a hammer after every move. “Punishing” is simply an excuse to not create interesting or fair mechanics. The idea is that it “feels” hard because you’re aware of how often you’re dying.

Is it “hard” to dodge out of an AoE circle? Not particularly…. Is it hard to dodge out of an AoE circle twice, or more, while taking 25% – 75% damage in every one? Yes…it’s beyond ridiculous.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

2. Player Interaction

When players are frustrated, they start taking it out on others. The Teq 2.0 fight is bringing out the worst in players. People are shouting, insulting, abusing others, and even going so far as to avoid reviving people.

Reviving defeated players is a waste of time as if you look at the minimap there is usually 20+ dead.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

After having a few goes at Tequatl 2.0, I have to say that for me, this is one of the most frustrating updates to this game. The following are my reasons.

1. Deaths from….everything!

ANet, I don’t know how to stress this enough. Spending more time dead, than fighting is frustrating, and excitement draining experience.

There is simply no need for poison pools/enemies to drain heath at a rate that verges on instant death. This adds nothing at all to the fight other than frustration.

Before people start up with the, “Learn to dodge” arguments. I only have so many dodges. In addition, many times the AoE circles are overlapping, hidden by water/FX, or simply larger than they appear on screen.

ANet, I understand that you’re trying this new idea where you’re trying to encourage players to move around, opposed to standing in one place auto attacking, but there is a difference between getting us moving, and getting us contently killed.

2. Player Interaction

When a game is designed in a way that causes so much frustration, something needs to be looked at. This is a video game, we’re all here to have fun. If the task at hand is frustrating to the point where players are lashing out, then something is wrong.

Lets be honest here. This boss fight plays out like a sitcom episode. Player are now understanding that if the timer is at a certain point, and the dragon health is at a certain point…it’s a total bust.

When players band together to beat a world boss, they want to feel like at any time the tide will turn and something will start going right. They want to feel like if they can get a few players to cooperate, it may sway things in their favour.

Teq 2.0 has none of that. You know in the first 5 minutes if it’s worth trying or not. The only reason many are even sticking around is because there is a “boss daily” that they need.

4. Achievements

ANet….you have forums, use them! Players have been saying for months that achievements that rely on groups of people doing everything right, are ridiculous. Not everyone has the same goals, and not everyone cares if they win or lose. Relying on everyone else to care that I get my achievements will never work.

You have to start listening. Let ME achieve something, they are MY achievements, not Captain Spanky’s and Sally Supercools’ I’m fighting with.

1. Uhm. I know you even said it, but this really is a L2P issue. Use the right build, the right traits, know when to dodge and not to dodge. Know your position.

2. Becouse its team effort, it does that. Even a dungeon run does that. I have seen this over-and-over that every update in the LS brings out the worst in people. As for not revivng: I don’t revive fully dead guys either, if you do, you lose the event, it’s very much time wasted. There are lots of situations when revivng is not an option, people need to recognise these situations. This is one of them.

3. The timer is what makes this boss allthe more exciting. I can understand that some get frustrated by it. I personally would raise it to 20 mins. But that’s what the chest are for at every 25% – to give you incentive to continue, even if you don’t succeed.

4. I like workin in teams. But that’s me.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Simply put, maybe this content is not for you. This is hard content and people have been asking for stuff like this for a while.

A world boss, in a level 60 zone is not for me? If that isn’t for everyone, then what is the point of playing GW2? Should I just stick to level 15 Skritt where I belong, and not get in the way of the big shots?

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

This event has two possible scenarios :

1) Sooo much fun with a coordinated group
2) Sooo frustrating in an overflow, with afkers or with no coordination

However, it’s not true that you can easily see if it’s a total bust in the first few minutes. I think some people give up way too easily thinking that it is. If you get to 75% with about 4minutes left, you can still make it.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Destroyer Bravo.5391

Destroyer Bravo.5391

FYI you are supposed to waypoint to broonolu point, swim to that battery, and use the pad to return. If you sit there you screw the event over for everyone else!

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

FYI you are supposed to waypoint to broonolu point, swim to that battery, and use the pad to return. If you sit there you screw the event over for everyone else!

Yes!! Use the jump pad by the battery to get back as to not agro all the krait and pull them into the turrets.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

This event has two possible scenarios :

1) Sooo much fun with a coordinated group
2) Sooo frustrating in an overflow, with afkers or with no coordination

However, it’s not true that you can easily see if it’s a total bust in the first few minutes. I think some people give up way too easily thinking that it is. If you get to 75% with about 4minutes left, you can still make it.

Perhaps, but I think most players (especially in an overflow) see 20+ dead bodies, AFKers, Teq 2.0 with most of his HP still intact, a bone wall, dead turrets, and people WP to other boss fights, the timer ticking down, and think. “What am I really gaining here?”

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Yes, I understand all this. This post isn’t a, “How do I beat the dragon?” walkthrough post, it is a criticism of the mechanics and how they’ve been implemented for all players.

I realize some level 75+ tanks out there can run around and not care all that much what they’re running through, but there are also other players who aren’t that, and have much different experiences.

Next time you fight, take a look at who is dead. Try to understand what might be the reasons (beyond them just sucking). Maybe, just maybe the mechanics (as we’ve seen elsewhere in this game) are simply not being implemented with enough consideration.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: abcruziii.9405

abcruziii.9405

Whatever happened to the design philosophy that open world events are easy and fun to jump into if you’re at the appropriate level? With Teq 2.0, you simply can’t jump in. If a level 80 character has to check his build/food/gear before this event, then whatever is a level-appropriate (Level 66) character to do for this particular event?

I personally like challenges, and I will work hard for an achievement if it pokes at me that much (Liadri The Concealing Dark comes to mind – which I did complete thanks to persistence). However, this Teq 2.0 fight which hinges on so many factors outside of one’s control can be very frustrating:

1. clockwork precision and skill rotation of turret-gunners
  2. gear/skill/focus/competence/food/dps of everyone else at the event

I don’t have problems with food, gear, survivability or dps for this event. Neither is dodge-rolling through or jumping over the shockwave too much of a hassle for me.

• If the winning solution involves stacking in one spot (or in one tight, general area), then how successful was the design goal of removing monotony and getting players to move more?
  • If the winning solution involves level 80 chars, exotic (and/or better) gears, and specific builds, why is this event not set in an appropriate level-80 area?
  • If the winning solution involves smart use of turrets, can everyone please get them? (This question’s worth a shot!)

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Again, the solutions aren’t particularly practical from less ‘hard-core’ players.

Change your entire gear set, foods etc for one boss encounter?

Wait for hours doing nothing so you are co ordinated and have a chance (if the turret guy doesn’t happen to have something to do in RL when the boss actually spawns/isn’t a troll/is clueless/etc)?

Learn to dodge out of invisible circles.

Learn to jump over waves before they reach you, if you can even see them.

Don’t bring any condition using class, you’re a waste of space. Yet more design bias for heavy armor wearing classes with group might stacking/cleansing abilities.

Don’t bother coming if you can’t totally change your build, gears, armor, weapon set (oh, and have ascended weapons and jewellry), remove all your crit stuff, etc etc.

Start camping out at 4am in the morning server time so that there is a chance in hell of getting on the main server 12 hours later, so anyone with a job or that has a RL, forget it, this content is not for you (or join TKS and server hop guest kill it, which kinda defeats the whole object of having the boss in the first place).

I’m not against hard content, we need a lot more of it (especially that can be instanced for solo and small parties). At the moment the game totally lacks any solo mode stuff (like dungeons, fractals, etc where you need to collect drops for armor, ascended stuff, etc), and this leap into needing at least 80 people to complete something just alienates casuals even more.

My favourite boss is now golem mark 2, as you can clearly SEE the fields of death and can dodge out of them.

Having red circles appear and hit you before they even rendered, or have them so you can’t even see them as they are underwater, is just bad design. I like the waves, now that the damage from them has been reduced by half (first time they basically took 90% of your hp off, and knocked you until a red circle to finish you off), but a 4 foot wave shouldn’t take more than 10% off your HP – you could have more frequent waves if you like the mechanic.

Having champs attack the turrets also isn’t particularly good mechanics, as squishies can’t deal with them. Sure, I can switch to my tanky guardian and play with a champ all day, avoiding red circles, but for the casting and ranged medium armor and light armor people these become a headache real fast, again marginalising a lot of classes and builds.

I guess the ‘we want to design a game that YOU play the way YOU want’ mantra is now well and truly dead.

This boss fight could be epic with some changes and some decent scaling for smaller groups to be able to complete it – after the initial couple of weeks there just aren’t going to be that many servers that will still be organising groups and being bored for hours just so they can hopefully get their 10th kill in.

The only thing that attracts a lot of people to it at the moment is the achievement, once that goes will it be worth the waste of RL time?

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Thank you. I cannot tell you how many times our commanders have to stress “Please waypoint back if you are dead and not simply downed, you are wasting time we need for offense and defense if we have to rez you all the way up. We cannot spare time to get you up if you are dead.” – this isn’t refusing to rez the dead out of being malicious or mean, it’s sticking to strategy so the entire group can pull off a good attempt or a win – including the person who has to wp back!

The only time I’ve heard of it being malicious was a story on the forums of a commander telling folks not to rez the dead after a failed attempt because he was kittened off.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Title is correct, encounter is not fun. Getting thrust into overflows that only get 10% of his life off is not fun. At least the overflows I got put into for Scarlett usually finished the event around 50% of the time.

My favourite boss is now golem mark 2, as you can clearly SEE the fields of death and can dodge out of them.

This. Golem Mk2 was the best redesign so far. Tough but also fun and fair.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: MistMirage.4706

MistMirage.4706

1) if your team is doing everything right, there is no danger. Well, jump a couple of times in 15 minutes – it’s easy.
2) try to stay on map. all offended leave.
3) Last time when I killed Teq on Deso it was ~10 min.
4) Achieves killed many online games
Thats what I said in another thread, I think in that format of event all will enjoy, casuals and hardcore players:

Good idea – instead of the current parody on PvE add a truly complex PVE content that requires the coordination of 20+ people.
Bad idea – do it in the open world without any possibility of kicking afkers/trolls. I saw with my own eyes how people from servers that already killed Teq, took the turrets and did not do anything, just for fun.
It would be better to run such an event after testing LFG by making a raid to the super-boss dungeon.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

A world boss, in a level 60 zone is not for me? If that isn’t for everyone, then what is the point of playing GW2? Should I just stick to level 15 Skritt where I belong, and not get in the way of the big shots?

You mock, but that doesn’t make it unreasonable. Level 60 zone doesn’t mean anything when it’s handing out level 80 potential top end gear. The fact that it’s a world boss should have taken it out of the “it’s for everybody” target from the beginning. It’s only just now that world boss is starting to mean something.

So yeah, maybe level 15 skritt is your cup. If it is you shouldn’t be trying to mess with something in other peoples cups.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

rizzo.1079

Yeah, I guess events where you have to stand around for hours just to make sure you’re in your home server and have so you can have a tiny chance of winning just aren’t for everyone…

Edit: I guess since any mob in the game can drop lv 80 exotics if you’re lv 80, only lv 80’s should be fighting mobs?

(edited by rizzo.1079)

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

You know what’s not fun (for me)? Showing up to an event, not caring about who’s there, spamming autoattack while you go get a glass of water, and coming back to pickup your loot.
Many people, myself included, really like to strategize, organize, and attempt something very difficult that requires people to synchronize their efforts and skill usage.
I like the fact that after every failure we have to analyze what went wrong. I like the fact that it is very difficult, that it has become like a badge of honor to have beaten him.
Previously there was nothing to be proud of accomplishing in pve since all it required was braindead farming.
As mentioned, this content might not be for everyone.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

(edited by Quick Mouse.7635)

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

rizzo.1079

You know what’s not fun (for me)? Showing up to an event, not caring about who’s there, spamming autoattack while you go get a glass of water, and coming back to pickup your loot.

If you were afk spamming 1 at Teq then you were one of the people that I’d always have to rez after the event. You’re welcome!

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Quick Mouse.7635

Yeah, I guess events where you have to stand around for hours just to make sure you’re in your home server and have so you can have a tiny chance of winning just aren’t for everyone…

Edit: I guess since any mob in the game can drop lv 80 exotics if you’re lv 80, only lv 80’s should be fighting mobs?

You know what people have started doing? Purposely going into overflows instead of trying to get into home servers for this exact reason.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Quick Mouse.7635

If you were afk spamming 1 at Teq then you were one of the people that I’d always have to rez after the event. You’re welcome!

did you read past the first line?

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Really need to have instanced versions of world bosses that are hard with like 10-50 people range.

I don’t care how fun or interesting your content is, if it ends up being stupid 100+ zergfests I’m not bothering with it.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

rizzo.1079

did you read past the first line?

Yep!

You know what people have started doing? Purposely going into overflows instead of trying to get into home servers for this exact reason.

What overflow are they in and how can I be sure I can get to it, please? All the overflows I’ve gotten in are disorganized and futile.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Tadz.2870

Tadz.2870

Its not that he isn’t fun, he just relies on 6 players way way way too much. I love the fight and the mechanics but those turrets really need to be automated to make this event what it really should be. Automate them and just add another 2 enemies spawn with the mobs, make us fight to keep them up. Sure it means changing some mechanics ( how many turrets need to be up to keep his scales off etc, turrets target CO’s or something along them lines )

Another problem is if I tag up and fail I get a incoming of hate from left right and center, even if its the turrets fault. I have been there to beat him, and many times knocked him down to 50% but in the end lots of off peak time zones are missing out, what are they supposed to do? stay up till 5am ( If they are lucky enough to be in main server ).

All in all I love the event, I love the difficulty, but I hate them kitten turrets with a passion. The event also starts the wrong way around, IMO it should start with the laser ( even if this mean dropping the timer to 12 mins or so ) charge, much more fun and less ‘zerg group, press a few skills and jump on occasion’. It would eliminate the need for voice comms and give smaller less organized servers/timezones a fighting chance for loot.

We shouldn’t need to use a 3rd party program ( Voice comms ) to complete a IG boss. Its just ridiculous. EDIT, Remember its also in a level 65 zone, so lets all get a level 65 character and see how we fair against a level 65 boss?…. Yeah that’ll end well.

#FreeDolan

(edited by Tadz.2870)

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Kal Spiro.9745

[quote=2881195;Tadz.2870:]

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Kal Spiro.9745

Its not that he isn’t fun, he just relies on 6 players way way way too much. I love the fight and the mechanics but those turrets really need to be automated to make this event what it really should be. Automate them and just add another 2 enemies spawn with the mobs, make us fight to keep them up. Sure it means changing some mechanics ( how many turrets need to be up to keep his scales off etc, turrets target CO’s or something along them lines )

I like the idea of this, but the turrets are also for clearing poison and buffing. So obviously there would need to be a different way to do those things if the only things the turrets did was clear Tequatl armor.

Another problem is if I tag up and fail I get a incoming of hate from left right and center, even if its the turrets fault. I have been there to beat him, and many times knocked him down to 50% but in the end lots of off peak time zones are missing out, what are they supposed to do? stay up till 5am ( If they are lucky enough to be in main server ).

I guess I don’t understand this because I don’t follow Commanders for any reason. I know how the event works and I know what I’m doing at any point I choose to participate. The failure isn’t any one person’s fault, unless he’s putting up bone walls all the time. It belongs to the entire event.

All in all I love the event, I love the difficulty, but I hate them kitten turrets with a passion. The event also starts the wrong way around, IMO it should start with the laser ( even if this mean dropping the timer to 12 mins or so ) charge, much more fun and less ‘zerg group, press a few skills and jump on occasion’. It would eliminate the need for voice comms and give smaller less organized servers/timezones a fighting chance for loot.

While I can sort of see the reasoning here the current set up is for lore. Tequatl comes out of the water and they need to charge up the laser. They don’t have it charged up all the time because that would be a waste of power and resources. So you have to hold back Tequatl and minions while they get it ready. Once it’s ready they blast him.

And thankfully he’s really stupid or he’d come around behind it and wreck up the place since it apparently can’t turn around.

We shouldn’t need to use a 3rd party program ( Voice comms ) to complete a IG boss. Its just ridiculous. EDIT, Remember its also in a level 65 zone, so lets all get a level 65 character and see how we fair against a level 65 boss?…. Yeah that’ll end well.

I agree.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

well in Fa we invited everyone on the map to our wvw ts where we made a tequilla channel. 100 people were online ther and we had a ton of fun and our wvw commanders even joined in and helped. yeah we got him down very very low …but failed, but no cussing out no nothing. we were dissapointed, but we had fun on ts…so instead of raging at people and calling everyone a noob, join the team and work as a team.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

I would like if dead people automatically respawned in a near waypoint (obviously with the normal penalities and costs).
So that i don’t have to see dead people cluttering the terrain and doing nothing at all just because they don’t want to spend a couple silvers.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

No but it does not seem like the kind of fight that is fun for you, so why do it?
There are many things in the game that I do not like and I just don’t do them.
I don’t care what people think- it is a game I play for fun

Gunnar’s Hold

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

My experience with Teq is not so well with current internet condition.Manage to get in to main SV then wait for 30 minute for Teq to popup then suddenly skill lag happen and kicked out of game end up to overflow with 0 chance to success. funtime

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

If they want harder boss fights then there should be better way to make raid groups. Let everyone pug and crank up the diff of encounters is just dumb.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: urzen.7096

urzen.7096

This. Timers are not fun. Only death should be the end. We should be able to keep fighting Tequila until we are all dead, give up, or rally for the win.

Sanctum of Rall

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: urzen.7096

urzen.7096

No but it does not seem like the kind of fight that is fun for you, so why do it?

I imagine many people are giving up doing it. If nothing changes, there will be no one left as the reward (fun or loot) wont match the grind. People who win it wont do it again. People who cant win it, will go do something else. So much like most of the game, it will be empty.

Path of least resistance.

Sanctum of Rall

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

This. Timers are not fun. Only death should be the end. We should be able to keep fighting Tequila until we are all dead, give up, or rally for the win.

The only timer should be a 15/10/5/whatever minute timer on no one attacking Teq. If he isn’t attacked for 15/10/5/whatever minutes, then he should despawn. Otherwise, he should be up until he’s killed.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“1. Deaths from….everything!”

You are doing it wrong. You are meant to stack in one place on a commander and have good Turret users cleanse the ground so the poison is less of an issue. Guardians are meant to use WoR to help mitigate the fingers. Warriors are meant to use banners, etc etc. Every class has some sort of roll in the fight.

Learning and knowing your class and what is expected is important in any difficult encounter. Standing to the left and pressing 1 no longer works. Time to adjust. Time to learn something new. I realize some players hate change.

“2. Player Interaction”

If you fail over and over then I can understand where this might happen or does happen. I am very lucky to put myself in the right place to not experience this very often. After all if you were playing MMO “X” and raiding, would you experience this from your guild? I sure hope not.

If a player is “DEAD” then NEVER revive them. NEVER. They need to waypoint and run back to the fight. If they are downed, then you should of course lend a hand and get them on their feet.

It is clear from these forums that some of us are having a blast and some are not. It is a shame for those who do not enjoy this content. Is this content for you? If it is then there are solutions out there to enjoy it more. Took me 6 attempts before my first kill, I loved everyone. (I dislike the waiting for the record)

“3. Timers and Persistance”

You are correct that players do give up far to easily. Too many player are either not equipped to deal with this fight or they simply have the wrong attitude in general.

There is certainly a “point of no return” but it isn’t 5min. You could have a bad burn phase, you could have a great one. It is about knowing the fight and knowing when it simply isn’t going to happen. Someone can correct me if I am wrong here (I might be) but at about 8min you need to have him at 25% or pretty close.

I also disagree about the timer. To each there own. Without a timer, what is the point? You just zerg him over and over. Not fun at all.

“4. Achievements”

Achievements are not for all. You don’t need them all. If there is some achievement that needs a group and you don’t have a group then you don’t get that one. What is the point of achieving something if it’s simply given to you.

Now you are right there should be some that are solo-able. Some you can do yourself. And there are plenty of those in the game as well, they just aren’t the majority most of the time. It sounds like you are a very solo player and want to do and achieve everything yourself. But then what is the point of an MMO? They make solo games for that.

I feel like more fights need this treatment. Not all of them mind you. There should be some clear differences between fights. But dragons should feel like dragons and right now they do not. This to me, is a step in the right direction. I won’t pretend I think it’s perfect, but it’s kitten fun. Perhaps it’s not for everyone, I realize that might not sit well or be ok with some players.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I imagine many people are giving up doing it. If nothing changes, there will be no one left as the reward (fun or loot) wont match the grind. People who win it wont do it again. People who cant win it, will go do something else. So much like most of the game, it will be empty.

Path of least resistance.

How is Tequatl a grind though?
You are talking about rewards so clearly you do not think that it is worth it right? In terms of reward for time spent?
How do you explain that people are doing it multiple times even after they have won?
Clearly for them it is a fun fight. I think it is fun, that is why I do it.
People will still do the fight after the people who do not like it give up.

That was my point- do content you enjoy, because you enjoy it.
Why else would you do it?

Gunnar’s Hold

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

The only timer should be a 15/10/5/whatever minute timer on no one attacking Teq. If he isn’t attacked for 15/10/5/whatever minutes, then he should despawn. Otherwise, he should be up until he’s killed.

With all due respect, that’s absurd. Everyone can simply respawn and keep the event active by hitting Tequatl once every few minutes.

I’m more concerned about the discordance between the waves’ animation and their actual hitbox. They hit you before the animation reaches you. That said, I like this fight.

And to be honest, giving it a longer timer would not do. Instead of taking him down to 90%, disorganized groups would take him to 80%. Rewarding mediocrity breeds decadency. We have enough casual content already.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

rizzo.1079

That was my point- do content you enjoy, because you enjoy it.
Why else would you do it?

The problem being that assured failure isn’t fun for a lot of us. More events like this means fewer events that I actually like, making me more likely to pick up another game that has fun content.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Funny how some people fool themselves thinking Teq is hardcore content.

He is the same bored piñata. He just stand there but now, with a kittenload of health, insta-kill mechanism (well, only fools with zerker gear die) and a timer (lamest excuse of “hardcore” content).

I can stand in from of him the whole 15 minutes without dying a single time and still, I will never see him die because his “difficulty” is based on other people stupidity, not in my own skills.

So yes, is not fun, is not “hardcore” and just exploit the inability of some people to do something beyond press 1 button.

And before someone say the typical kitten about organize people, I spent 1 hour along with other persons explaining what to do and yet, most people just do what they want.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

Funny how some people fool themselves thinking Teq is hardcore content.

He is the same bored piñata. He just stand there but now, with a kittenload of health, insta-kill mechanism (well, only fools with zerker gear die) and a timer (lamest excuse of “hardcore” content).

I can stand in from of him the whole 15 minutes without dying a single time and still, I will never see him die because his “difficulty” is based on other people stupidity, not in my own skills.

So yes, is not fun, is not “hardcore” and just exploit the inability of some people to do something beyond press 1 button.

And before someone say the typical kitten about organize people, I spent 1 hour along with other persons explaining what to do and yet, most people just do what they want.

+1
I constantly read organized, team-effort, hardcore and other fun words from players who probably just happened to be on a server/overflow with a few other active players instead of afks.
tequatl is neither hardcore nor difficult, it’s simply a question of how many decent players will you have around you – and are some of them able to resist the zerg and help defend/man the cannons etc.
the mechanics are a fun idea, if it was possible to get into a group of 20 or 50 people and face him, it would be a really cool fight I think. right now it’s rather boring with a lot of frustrated people who try to win and lots of others who couldn’t care less and just hope the rest kills tequatl so they get their achievement and the rewards they obviously deserve. not fun for anyone.

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: Downfall.2671

Downfall.2671

I’ve attempted him about 7 times and i’ve never seen the second phase. The problem is not that we aren’t coordinated. The problem is, that we can do nothing against those people that don’t wish to follow any orders.
Also, there is absolutely no fun in waiting 2 hours, rebuilding a team and explaining the mechanics before EVERY attempt and then finding an empty overflow server and porting everyone to it in order to minimize the amount of random people.
This encounter requires a certain coordination but doesn’t give you any tools or mechanics to actually achieve that coordination while also punishing whole groups of players that are not power-specced

Tequatl the Funless

in Tequatl Rising

Posted by: SirusDibley.3716

SirusDibley.3716

Great post op , agree with it all. The thing that really bugs me is that people (mainly wanna be pro’s) automatically think if it’s hard it’s good.

Hard can be good , but from what I’ve seen in gw2 so far , hard = chore & boring , consequently not that much fun…