"Finish Them!" in PVE -- no, please?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Agreed, I do not like having to finish PvE enemies. At the very least, give them next to no downed HP, so that they can be DPSed down within seconds.

Actually, they were being DPSed down in seconds on my server. I think one of the reasons why you have to defeat them once downed is to give people time to get hits in so they are credited for the kill.

Which is actually very funny – if you attempt to finish a downed enemy, and he gets dps-killed before you finish, you will get no credit for it. Meaning, if you want to tag a mob, don’t even try using finishers, just continue to spam 1. If you are in a zerg, the mob will die faster to damage anyway.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

I like it. I got to enjoy my SAB finisher.

Agreed! 8-bit nuke ftw!
I hope the possibility to use finishers will be extended to all vets, elites and champs tbh but most def NOT to every single mob in game pls or it’ll get annoying quickly.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

It is pve, if you want to complain about pvp in pve complain about bad activities that count for the living world (and with that i mean crap toss, kitten er ball,etc – sanctum sprint, reapers rumble and lunatic inquisition/its weaker southsun survival counterpart are the only ones actually any fun without major game breaking bugs and show that people that made them cared instead of lets annoy the kitten out of players).

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Jungle wurm is “Down”… Finish him! … Flawless victory xD

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I actually think that finishers in pve in this case are welcome. Since all LS releases are such zergfest “killin’ boars” events, only mobs i manage to tag are those that are in downed state.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

Personally, I don’t mind it – if it was every single mob then it would be too much but it is actually just the odd one here and there.

God forbid you have to concentrate every once in a while during a fight and make sure that the mob you put down, stays down.

You could of course just carry on with the normal auto attack function but just for a little bit longer.

Not sure why there is such an outcry but fair enough, each to their own.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I find it annoying, i just want to kill the mob and move along. And to make matters worst, mobs lose all conditions aswell. Screwing over condition builds in pve even more.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Shadowsong.4820

Shadowsong.4820

What the kitteny kitten is wrong wih those people claiming that this is “just an obvious attempt to make money”.
Take a moment to look at the devs in an interview video or something. Do they look like money grabbing monkeys to you? No? Because they’re not. Why would they be? Because they work at a company? I’ll bet you guys that you work at one aswell if you work at all. So give them a break kitten . If you want to complain do so in a different way instead of this accusive bs.

Just had to get this out there after reading all that crap.

Now back to topic, I really like this concept. It is an established mechanic that is now being implemented into pve aswell to make it more innovative or difficult. Can’t wait to see bosses with this mechanic. A Ranger one for example who uses his pet to resurrect him if it’s not being cc’d.

(edited by Shadowsong.4820)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I was surprised at first when I saw the Mortal Kombat tag line appear in my personal instance. But I got used to it quickly. Being a player who’s spent a grand total of <5 hours playing PvP or WvW, I’m not a fan. It doesn’t work in PvE. You’ve either got a zerg, which completely trivializes a downed state and makes it a crap-shoot if you’ll get credit for the finisher. Or, in the case of solo roaming or the personal instance, you’re leaving yourself vulnerable to surrounding mobs for a couple seconds to stomp. Now I have to learn PvP tactics to cover stomps in PvE. It makes the PvE combat more complex, but I don’t know yet if it’s a good idea.

If it’s only temporary to let PvE-ers use the Halloween finishers then I’m ok with it. Good thining Anet.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

please take this ‘’ finisher ’’ thing out of pve .. waste our time .. and waste A.net time to put this in the game in PVE…. and the game don’t need more clutter on the screen with fancy finisher moves from every players in a zerg …

(edited by Farming Flats.5370)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: cgnius.8539

cgnius.8539

I do find it rather annoying as well

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

/agree

Its just annoying for me.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

You can always just continue to DPS until they are dead instead of using a finisher…

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

You can always just continue to DPS until they are dead instead of using a finisher…

Don’t they get an “Invulnerable” icon though when downed?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

This mechanic seems entirely pointless in group play, where downed enemies sit there uselessly until AoE inevitably kills them in a few seconds, and nothing more than an annoyance or aggravation in solo play. Similar to the feel of the downed state in PvP, actually.

Like almost everything in Guild Wars 2, I think this mechanic has incredible potential to be fun and engaging. However, as it stands I don’t think it is a valuable contribution to gameplay.

In the Kessex Hills instance, for example, I discovered that not only do I have to clear a bridge from 5+ mobs by myself—since my ally NPCs still rush into battle and promptly die without doing much of anything—but I also have to finish off the members of the Nightmare Court while doing so. What is this supposed to add to my game, besides an extra chore? Where is the fun?

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Don’t they get an “Invulnerable” icon though when downed?

A 1 sec invulnerable, like players do when they get downed.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Personally, I don’t see why PvE creatures didn’t have downed-states to begin with.

They made a huge deal about it, yet their PvE wasn’t build around it. Why not?!
If (sentient?) creatures had downed states, their basic AI could have been made more interesting – Like more frequent auto-attacks (letting us make use of confuse/retaliation), or shorter aggro + longer leashing, etc..

<snip>

I, for one, am glad they are introducing Downed-states and “Finishing” to PvE.

Well I can think of one good reason:

how do you think you’d rally if you’re playing on your own… you’d be stuck in a downed state with the mob, with no way to rally, slowly trying to kill each other whilst lying there, except, oh.. the mob has a friend who will rez him.. but you have no friends to rez you.

Seems like a bad idea for soloers in PvE.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

More things to nuke, I like it!

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Personally I think it makes PvE combat more interesting.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I dislike the mechanic. It seems like a time-waster with no other reason to exist.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

They don’t drop extra loot bags with Badges of PvE Honour?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

Two words, Cow Finisher. I had so much fun running around dropping my cow on krait last night. Love it, Keep it. Ill give you more monies Anets. Im going to buy the new poison flower finisher now.
p.s. maybe dont put it on every mob

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I dislike the mechanic. It seems like a time-waster with no other reason to exist.

Selling finishers to pve heroes isn’t THE biggest reason?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I think PVE mobs should of always had this. Maybe not each and every one, but vets and champs, def. Not only that, they should be able to finish us

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Personally, I don’t see why PvE creatures didn’t have downed-states to begin with.

If (sentient?) creatures had downed states, their basic AI could have been made more interesting – Like more frequent auto-attacks (letting us make use of confuse/retaliation), or shorter aggro + longer leashing, etc..

<snip>

Well I can think of one good reason:

how do you think you’d rally if you’re playing on your own… you’d be stuck in a downed state with the mob, with no way to rally, slowly trying to kill each other whilst lying there, except, oh.. the mob has a friend who will rez him.. but you have no friends to rez you.

Seems like a bad idea for soloers in PvE.

I solo PVE’d many a toon to 80. This is called strategy. If youre fighting enemies that you think might down you, maaaaybe you should tag a deer or something first and bring it over to the enemy so you have something to rally off of. I did this with lvl 60 toons in level 70 and 80 areas. AOE everything and kite a neutral in case I need to rally. I know, I know, its too hard for most people. Its beyond pressing 1. silly me

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

They should at least give casters/ranged players the ability to finish from a distance, since we often kill from a distance. It’s much more of a pain in the … for distance and classes that kite.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

I enjoy it. Its a good way to teach people about finishers at a lower level and since I wvw all the time its just a natural reaction just to hit the key anyways.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Did you ever stop and think that in order to do the Halloween finisher achievment some people didn’t want to go into either WvW or the heart of the mists?

Sometimes when they implement things such as this it is to try to make the purely PvEers happy. Maybe deal with it for now and when the Halloween is over then complain. For now though I am sure many players that didn’t know how to complete the achievement will be happy they can finally do it.

This thread illustrates perfectly how people will whine and moan about the smallest things, like four second delays to kills.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Brow.9425

Brow.9425

I agree. It should have been in PvE originally, but maybe the AI didn’t support it. They only recently started introducing it with the Clockwork Chaos patch a month or two ago. What’s new about it is that certain mobs are tagged as “rezzers” who are bound and determined to get the down-state mobs back up. That’s probably the AI that was lacking and would make the downstate otherwise pointless without it. Now that they have it, it can be introduced more and more as content gets pumped to the players.

It still doesn’t support it. Friendly NPCs are apparently rezzing the hostiles.

Rathan Kelet — Maguuma

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: super ach.6243

super ach.6243

I feel this can be a good and bad thing. Good because it can make fights more hard and you have to really make sure there dead by bashing their face in. It makes me feel more involved with the fight. Bad because at times it can be very annoying. When I get surround I don’t want to worry about having to finish them off. I want to kill and move on.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

OP, like with many previous content releases, if you don’t like it, DON’T PARTICIPCATE.

People who don’t care about large-scale raids steer clear of Tequatl. People who dislike Dungeons don’t be trekking into the Aetherblades path. Etcetera, etcetera…

Yes, it wasn’t tedious enough before killing brainless mobs that spam conditions, now you get to run over and finish them whilst the other 5 spam aoe conditions at the spot you are now standing on…

Of course for melee classes stamping something you are right next to takes 0 effort- but for squishy ranged classes that want to stay ranged it can be a bit of a problem- but then thiefs can finish in stealth and warriors/guardians can just stand there and /laugh at the damage…

Makes pve even more tedious than it was before. Bad idea.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

(edited by Victory.2879)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

I think it is awesome that the mobs run to their buddies to try and revive them before they die, and you can’t just faceroll everything in a zerg without a second thought. Even if it means just a few extra seconds of effort. I do agree on the giant obnoxious finishers with banners and stuff, that seems silly outside of wvw and pvp. I mean its basically to rub it in peoples faces when you kill them, its not like the npcs can rage about it lol.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Which is actually very funny – if you attempt to finish a downed enemy, and he gets dps-killed before you finish, you will get no credit for it. Meaning, if you want to tag a mob, don’t even try using finishers, just continue to spam 1. If you are in a zerg, the mob will die faster to damage anyway.

This is true in a reasonably large zerg, but not when soloing or in a small group. Downed enemies seem to have about half the health of a fully active enemy.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Madora.9340

Madora.9340

Problem is, they ARE squishy. It’s just, in my opinion, a colossal waste of time.

Then keep bursting them down. They do die if you keep hitting them, like in WvW too.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: shagworth.5017

shagworth.5017

Don’t like finishers in PvE? Too bad, better get used to it. You’ll be seeing more and more of it as they try to expand the market for gem store finishers.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Vaupell.8542

Vaupell.8542

Finish them is fine for the world events, but when it comes to story missions it is terrible.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Screwing up the game just so they could sell gemstore paraphenalia?! Apart from the LS direction, this is the worst move I’ve ever seen Anet do.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Finisher moves should be taken to a new level not just a banner-like hit. A-Net should take a look at Mortal Kombat game and Dragon kitten (anime) to create spectacular finishing sequences. Of source not necessarily that brutal but similar moves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZYnBxdThvU

(edited by Ronah.2869)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I like it. Lot’s more fun than normal. I think vets+ should go down like that as a standard feature.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Misterdeeply.8764

Misterdeeply.8764

I also like it and I’ve noticed that they try to ress each other! Nice addition Anet I like what you did there

in Tower of Nightmares

titanlectro.5029

IRONY

If these monsters just had x2 HP, no one would complain.

However, because they are disabled and immobilized once they hit 50% HP, and you are given a free 4 second spell to kill them once they hit 50%, apparently it is a travesty…

(edited by titanlectro.5029)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Problem is with the flags that you are stationary and thus cannot kite if needed.
Had the monsters doubled the HP I wouldn’t complain because I can juggle multiple enemies while moving around.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Tower of Nightmares

titanlectro.5029

Problem is with the flags that you are stationary and thus cannot kite if needed.
Had the monsters doubled the HP I wouldn’t complain because I can juggle multiple enemies while moving around.

You know you can still dps them down, right? You don’t have to stomp.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

And it looks like that’s the only way to get a compromise.
Either that or let some other guy throw a flag into them while I move on to more upright targets.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

While I dont ‘like’ the downed state for Mobs in PvE, I think its a good step in the right direction to ‘train’ Casual PvE’rs on how sPvP/WvW works. Makes you stop, and think ‘why is that mob not dead, where is my loot’ ‘Oh wait, the mob is reaching for something…ITS STILL MOVING, but I killed it’.

Now if the Mobs would do something in Downed other then reach out for ‘help’ it would be more interesting.

But, as a player since Beta, I find it annoying that Anet JUST NOW put the downed state on mobs in PvE. Good move, bad timing.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

I think anet went overboard giving ‘Finish Them!’ to absolutely every nightmare court enemy. Can you imagine how annoying this would have been during the flame and frost alliance if u had to ‘finish’ every single charr? It’s not like they are in any way special or noteworthy; they are just mobs with no personalities.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: maxphi.5107

maxphi.5107

The problem is……im so weak for finishing enemies in WvW and PvP, so with finishing mobs in PvE……It’s great for me xD

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

I don’t like having to kill the same mook enemy twice. It’s simply not fun.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

Yes, it wasn’t tedious enough before killing brainless mobs that spam conditions, now you get to run over and finish them whilst the other 5 spam aoe conditions at the spot you are now standing on…

Don’t forget knockbacks, knockdowns, etc.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Don’t forget knockbacks, knockdowns, etc.

This means they can afford to reduce the HP of these mobs and tune them in more ways, whereas before, their main answer to making PvE more challenging is:

GIVE THEM MORE HEALTH

Hope that helps you see this topic from a new perspective.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~