LS2 Ep 3, Rytlock > Foefire

in Lore

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I wish people would stop saying that Ascalon was “originally Charr”. It wasn’t, it was “previously held by Charr”. Subtle but important difference. In any case, someone brought this up in the reddit comments. I’m wondering if this idea gained ground with the Charr and whether or not it is partially correct. We haven’t seen a champion for Mordremoth yet so I’m wondering if this action acts unexpectedly to draw one out.

Oh well, just idle thoughts running wild.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Lore

Posted by: Aethelbert.1497

Aethelbert.1497

I wish people would stop saying that Ascalon was “originally Charr”. It wasn’t, it was “previously held by Charr”. Subtle but important difference. In any case, someone brought this up in the reddit comments. I’m wondering if this idea gained ground with the Charr and whether or not it is partially correct. We haven’t seen a champion for Mordremoth yet so I’m wondering if this action acts unexpectedly to draw one out.

Ascalon was originally Charr. Grawl, or whatever lived in area, that will be called “Ascalon” later, are primitive as possible, inferior, ergo they didn’t have any primitive state, sort of. Charr are far superior to Grawl, and they had a territory that one can call a state, sort of. You don’t think of ant colonies when you chop forest for lumber or when you need to live above it. So thought the humans, but charr were no ant colony, ironically.

P.S. All these charr haters

Attachments:

(edited by Aethelbert.1497)

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Ascalon was originally Charr. Grawl, or whatever lived in area, that will be called “Ascalon” later, are primitive as possible, inferior, ergo they didn’t have any primitive state, sort of. Charr are far superior to Grawl, and they had a territory that one can call a state, sort of. You don’t think of ant colonies when you chop forest for lumber or when you need to live above it. So thought the humans, but charr were no ant colony, ironically.

Kinda pointless argument, there’s plenty of real world examples of these sorts of things and people have been arguing over them for centuries.

in Lore

Aethelbert.1497

Kinda pointless argument, there’s plenty of real world examples of these sorts of things and people have been arguing over them for centuries.

Which makes this whole discussion pointless. Get my point?

in Lore

Posted by: Slayer.4238

Slayer.4238

Its obvious that Rytlock will fail in this endevor of his, not only does it not work because of any number of reasons 1: He he not the King/Khan-Ur of Ascalon. 2: Why/how has he not tried this before, something must have stopped him from doing this in the past. 3: Look at this from a game-play perspective I don’t think that Anet would remove a whole faction from the game even if it is a faction limited to a few areas it the only way I see Rytlock succeeding and it not affecting the game is if its like Ryt: “Ah I have broken the curse now We can face Mordy” Adleburn: “Curses defeated by a filthy charr….PSYCH you broke the curse but now you gotta wait for the cleanesing to take effect and who know how long that will take. Well later kittenes! (lol kitten actually works there.)” so either he will succeed but the effects aren’t intimidate or he fails but I don’t see our ghostly pals going away any time soon.

in Lore

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

So WP just posted his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSHz4rGbboM

He raises a good point. Rytlock isn’t in AC but rather Duke Barradin’s Crypt. He could be pleading with Barradin to release the curse by offering him Sohothin/Magdaer.

Technically, Adelburn was voted King but he was not the rightful heir. It would be through Rurik and Barradin’s daughter, Lady Althea, that the rightful bloodline would ascertain rights to the throne. Of course that never happens as Althea is killed by the Charr during the invasion and later Rurik dies via avalanche against the Stone Summit.

in Lore

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

He raises a good point. Rytlock isn’t in AC but rather Duke Barradin’s Crypt. He could be pleading with Barradin to release the curse by offering him Sohothin/Magdaer.

Technically, Adelburn was voted King but he was not the rightful heir. It would be through Rurik and Barradin’s daughter, Lady Althea, that the rightful bloodline would ascertain rights to the throne. Of course that never happens as Althea is killed by the Charr during the invasion and later Rurik dies via avalanche against the Stone Summit.

Adelbern was the rightful king of Ascalon, the people of Ascalon wanted him as their ruler over Duke Barradin. It means that the ghost of Duke Barradin should not be able to lift the curse, even if he was willing since he had accepted Adelbern as his king, and should still see him as such.

What could Rytlock, or any Charr offer to appease a ghost whose daughter was burned alive by the Charr and who stayed with his king to his death? He is most likely not going to help them, especially since Rytlock is not exactly a master of diplomacy. But who cares about old lore?

Who knows how exactly the lifting of the curse would work – given how the plotwriters favour the Charr it could be as simple as it looks, Rytlock only needs to plunge the sword into the ground and that’s it, and it need not even be at the heart of the Foefire – Adelbern and other ghosts could interfere there, and we can’t let that happen, no?

Makes the experience of Dougal Keane in Ghosts of Ascalon when getting into the Ascalon City ruins look like a joke. But hey, that’s old lore outside of the game, and it’s malleable, right?

The Charr can then erect another big victory monument in the ruins of Ascalon City, maybe turn the royal castle ruins into a lavatory and play football with some old bones. It’s only human bones after all.

I hope they let this attempt at lifting the curse fail. Otherwise the last bit of the illusion that the lore this game was once based on is of any importance is gone – the illusion that humanity as one of the five major races is of any importance is long gone anway. I can understand why people like König no longer post here.

[Yak’s Bend]

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

@Ronin: Adelbern’s also a descendant of the Ascalonian kings, but a distant one. Barradin was next in the line for the throne, but the people wanted Adelbern because he was a renown war hero as well.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

Posted by: DraconicDak.9340

DraconicDak.9340

Thalador, I’m pretty sure the next in line was Barradin’s older brother, about whom practically nothing is known. But the point stands, Adelbern was certainly not in the running to be King, until he was Caeser’d in, and Barradin was closer…

Member of I Can Outtweet a Centaur! [TWIT] | Writer for Under the Pale Tree
twitguild.enjin.com | thepaletree.net
Jade Quarry [JQ]

in Lore

Aethelbert.1497

Adelbern was the rightful king of Ascalon, the people of Ascalon wanted him as their ruler over Duke Barradin. It means that the ghost of Duke Barradin should not be able to lift the curse, even if he was willing since he had accepted Adelbern as his king, and should still see him as such.

What could Rytlock, or any Charr offer to appease a ghost whose daughter was burned alive by the Charr and who stayed with his king to his death? He is most likely not going to help them, especially since Rytlock is not exactly a master of diplomacy. But who cares about old lore?

Who knows how exactly the lifting of the curse would work – given how the plotwriters favour the Charr it could be as simple as it looks, Rytlock only needs to plunge the sword into the ground and that’s it, and it need not even be at the heart of the Foefire – Adelbern and other ghosts could interfere there, and we can’t let that happen, no?

Makes the experience of Dougal Keane in Ghosts of Ascalon when getting into the Ascalon City ruins look like a joke. But hey, that’s old lore outside of the game, and it’s malleable, right?

The Charr can then erect another big victory monument in the ruins of Ascalon City, maybe turn the royal castle ruins into a lavatory and play football with some old bones. It’s only human bones after all.

I hope they let this attempt at lifting the curse fail. Otherwise the last bit of the illusion that the lore this game was once based on is of any importance is gone – the illusion that humanity as one of the five major races is of any importance is long gone anway. I can understand why people like König no longer post here.

Friend, I can feel the heat from the other corner of the world. You sound so fanboish, that I could not comprehend. It’s their lore, they do what they want. And we know nothing yet, so it’s not time to draw conclusions.

in Lore

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Plot Twist: Rytlock fails. Logan’s in the neighborhood and gives it a try. Logan succeeds. Deemed the rightful King of Ascalon, he’s now free to marry Jennah like he and she have always wanted to do, and then fulfills the treaty with the Charr by solidifying that the territory of Ascalon they currently hold is truly theirs.

in Lore

Posted by: Vlad.1739

Vlad.1739

Vexander that is an amazing theory but there is one thing wrong with it. Gwen and Keiran have no indication of being of the royal line. Anet has been known to pull things out of hat so who knows.

-Also I have done some research and King Adelbern is actually of royal blood according to GW1 mkittencripts (wow filter over much, GW1 lore book). This is probably why he could cause the foe fire in the first place.
-The only known heir to Ascalon currently is Wade Samuelsson

Final note cleansing of foe fire will fail because they would have to rewrite hearts for all Ascalon areas and changes dozens of events.

(edited by Vlad.1739)

in Lore

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Thalador, I’m pretty sure the next in line was Barradin’s older brother, about whom practically nothing is known. But the point stands, Adelbern was certainly not in the running to be King, until he was Caeser’d in, and Barradin was closer…

That’s not a good argument considering Barradin actually supported Adelbern as the king:

Duke Barradin: “It saddens me greatly to see people use my name and lineage to stir up trouble. Adelbern is a great king, and I see already in his son Rurik the markings of greatness. Disloyalty to Adelbern is nothing less than betrayal of Ascalon, but you were asking in a strictly theoretical sense, weren’t you?”

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

kinda funny how this thread derailed into a “who was right/who attacked first/who is the true owner of the land” argument.

it’s the GW2 version of israel/palestine, apparently.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

the 2 sword magdear and sohothin were given to the human rulers of ascalon by orr as a peace token, its given by human to a human not kitten cats. hence the legend of foefire are base on human ruling ascalon not during the times of charr.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in Lore

Vexander.9850

Vexander that is an amazing theory but there is one thing wrong with it. Gwen and Keiran have no indication of being of the royal line. Anet has been known to pull things out of hat so who knows.

-Also I have done some research and King Adelbern is actually of royal blood according to GW1 mkittencripts (wow filter over much, GW1 lore book). This is probably why he could cause the foe fire in the first place.
-The only known heir to Ascalon currently is Wade Samuelsson

Final note cleansing of foe fire will fail because they would have to rewrite hearts for all Ascalon areas and changes dozens of events.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Salma didn’t know she was of the royal line either, did she? Somehow, I wouldn’t be surprised if Logan is of royal blood and it just hasn’t been revealed because at some point in the past, some king had a mistress and such.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

There are supposed to be a lot of descendants of Doric out there, it wasn’t a single or small family tree. Historically his descendants were supposed to have been trusted with guarding the Bloodstones, but that was never explored by the writers. There’s probably a lot of Ascalons and some Krytans with Doric blood in them still.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

Adelbern was the rightful king of Ascalon, the people of Ascalon wanted him as their ruler over Duke Barradin.

That is incorrect. Being “voted” in doesn’t make you “rightful” when it comes to nobility. Ascalonians simply saw Adelbern as the more comfortable choice as a reward for his strength. Barradin was the rightful king by blood, hence the whole marriage between Rurik and Althea in order to circumvent the blood dispute. He simply wasn’t confident in his own capability to lead himself so he supported the citizens of Ascalon and their decision, using his daughter in an attempt to appease everything. Blood doesn’t care about decisions, one had the stronger connection to the throne than the other. The lesser of the two, Adelbern, was simply given “Pass Go”-card.

(edited by Ronin.7381)

in Lore

Ronin.7381

kinda funny how this thread derailed into a “who was right/who attacked first/who is the true owner of the land” argument.

it’s the GW2 version of israel/palestine, apparently.

More like:

Aegon vs Daenerys

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

People are getting too hooked on the “rightful king of Ascalon” part, I feel. Remember that it’s just a legend. For all we know, the power to undo the curse of the Foefire simply lies within Magdaer and Sohothin themselves. They are powerful Orrian artifacts, and the truth of the matter may be that anyone who possessed them and had the knowledge/ability to do so could lift the curse at anytime. (Adelbern, of course, wouldn’t since he wants the curse to remain. Rytlock may simply have been unaware he could actually do so until recent events inform him otherwise.)

In any case, I very much doubt that Rytlock will succeed completely. Either the attempt to break the curse fails (“You are not the rightful king of Ascalon…”), or it only partially succeeds, freeing certain ghosts who are more intelligent and free-willed, but not those who are firmly stuck in the past or simply refuse to let go of the curse (i.e. Adelbern).

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Adelbern was the rightful king of Ascalon, the people of Ascalon wanted him as their ruler over Duke Barradin.

That is incorrect. Being “voted” in doesn’t make you “rightful” when it comes to nobility. Ascalonians simply saw Adelbern as the more comfortable choice as a reward for his strength. Barradin was the rightful king by blood, hence the whole marriage between Rurik and Althea in order to circumvent the blood dispute. He simply wasn’t confident in his own capability to lead himself so he supported the citizens of Ascalon and their decision, using his daughter in an attempt to appease everything. Blood doesn’t care about decisions, one had the stronger connection to the throne than the other. The lesser of the two, Adelbern, was simply given “Pass Go”-card.

Odd then, these quotes from GW1:

• Farrah Cappo: “Not since King Doric himself has Ascalon had a finer king than Adelbern.”
  • Grazden the Protector: “From what I have seen, King Adelbern is a man of great compassion. There will always be those malcontents who seek to blame every hardship in life on the current monarch. Many of the Royalists are merely misguided. In time, they will realize the error of their ways.”
  • Kasha Blackblood: “Maybe you don’t remember how Ascalon was before Adelbern. The crown peddled influence to guilds for the slightest show of coin. Who would wish for a thing like that to return?”
  • Little Thom: “It’s true the duke was next in line when the royal family was assassinated, but he fully supported the crowning of Adelbern. Wasn’t it the duke, after all, who appointed Adelbern commander of the army after the Battle of Rin?”
Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

I’m wondering how this is gonna work.

cause Rytlock ain’t the True King of Ascalon.

seems like he’s giving Sohothin back to Adelbern?

In practically every story that involves a prophesy, the prophesy turns out to have been misinterpreted and in a plot twist the prophesy is fulfilled, but not the way everyone was expecting.

Having Rytlock become “True King” is perfect story-logic.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProphecyTwist

in Lore

Vexander.9850

I’m wondering how this is gonna work.

cause Rytlock ain’t the True King of Ascalon.

seems like he’s giving Sohothin back to Adelbern?

In practically every story that involves a prophesy, the prophesy turns out to have been misinterpreted and in a plot twist the prophesy is fulfilled, but not the way everyone was expecting.

Having Rytlock become “True King” is perfect story-logic.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProphecyTwist

Which is why it’d be nice if Anet didn’t have this be like every story, and allowed it’s prophecy to unfold as the prophecy fore-tells.

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Barradin was the rightful king by blood, hence the whole marriage between Rurik and Althea in order to circumvent the blood dispute.

And who decided that noble blood makes you a rightful king? Was it by any chance, people who had noble blood?

in Lore

Ronin.7381

Odd then, these quotes from GW1:

• Farrah Cappo: “Not since King Doric himself has Ascalon had a finer king than Adelbern.”
  • Grazden the Protector: “From what I have seen, King Adelbern is a man of great compassion. There will always be those malcontents who seek to blame every hardship in life on the current monarch. Many of the Royalists are merely misguided. In time, they will realize the error of their ways.”
  • Kasha Blackblood: “Maybe you don’t remember how Ascalon was before Adelbern. The crown peddled influence to guilds for the slightest show of coin. Who would wish for a thing like that to return?”
  • Little Thom: “It’s true the duke was next in line when the royal family was assassinated, but he fully supported the crowning of Adelbern. Wasn’t it the duke, after all, who appointed Adelbern commander of the army after the Battle of Rin?”

Little Tom practically explains it. Barradin chose not to rule but offered his daughter (his lineage) in marriage to Rurik as if applying a bandage. Adelbern was clearly a very capable king but he was not “rightful” by blood. It was via unanimous decision and not tradition. It made the whole crowning controversial in an interesting manner, but people voted for Adelbern, especially with Barradin’s consent, out of favor and not through blood.

All other accounts listed above Tom are people who just liked Adelbern more. They spoke of high praise, that would be like taking Game of Thrones for example and proclaiming Joffery as the rightful heir. We all know that by blood he was not a successor.

Barradin was the rightful king by blood, hence the whole marriage between Rurik and Althea in order to circumvent the blood dispute.

And who decided that noble blood makes you a rightful king? Was it by any chance, people who had noble blood?

Define rightful. What, because Adelbern wore the crown on his head meant that his blood was more pure and closer to King Doric than Barradin? But that’s not true at all.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

In Ascalon, you only had to be a descendant of Doric to be considered for kingship. The royalty lines didn’t matter.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Little Tom practically explains it. Barradin chose not to rule but offered his daughter (his lineage) in marriage to Rurik as if applying a bandage. Adelbern was clearly a very capable king but he was not “rightful” by blood. It was via unanimous decision and not tradition. It made the whole crowning controversial in an interesting manner, but people voted for Adelbern, especially with Barradin’s consent, out of favor and not through blood.

All other accounts listed above Tom are people who just liked Adelbern more. They spoke of high praise, that would be like taking Game of Thrones for example and proclaiming Joffery as the rightful heir. We all know that by blood he was not a successor.

see above

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

In Ascalon, you only had to be a descendant of Doric to be considered for kingship. The royalty lines didn’t matter.

The system was more lax than real nobility lines. After all Barradin conceded himself willingly. But were it not for Adelberns high praise, Barradin would have been King by true succession.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

The system was more lax than real nobility lines. After all Barradin conceded himself willingly. But were it not for Adelberns high praise, Barradin would have been King by true succession.

And?

I fail to see how that matters. Especially when the old royalty was bringing Ascalon to ruin:

Devona: “It’s sad. These Royalist fools oppose King Adelbern because he was not born into nobility. They forget it was Adelbern who saved us from the Guild Wars and the old king, Grenth Be Just, who nearly brought Ascalon to ruin.”

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

And?

I fail to see how that matters. Especially when the old royalty was bringing Ascalon to ruin:

Devona: “It’s sad. These Royalist fools oppose King Adelbern because he was not born into nobility. They forget it was Adelbern who saved us from the Guild Wars and the old king, Grenth Be Just, who nearly brought Ascalon to ruin.”

I don’t see how royalty allowing Ascalon to crumble really matters. Ascalon gets destroyed by the Searing, the choice did nothing more than delay the inevitable and we see these effects in the current era.
“These Royalist fools oppose King Adelbern because he was not born into nobility.”

Bolded. The characters understood succession, the system was just more flexible than a traditional royal one. Traditional by real life standards or hell, Game of Thrones.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

And?

I don’t see how royalty allowing Ascalon to crumble really matters. Ascalon gets destroyed by the Searing, the choice did nothing more than delay the inevitable and we see these effects in the current era.
“These Royalist fools oppose King Adelbern because he was not born into nobility.”

Bolded. The characters understood succession, the system was just more flexible than a traditional royal one. Traditional by real life standards or hell, Game of Thrones.

Yes, but how does that matter concerning the legend about an heir of Doric?? They are both of his lineage.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

Yes, but how does that matter concerning the legend about an heir of Doric?? They are both of his lineage.

Clearly he’s not, the characters you quoted from, point that out. Down to succession, it should have been Barradin.

And then answer me why Rytlock is in Barradin’s Crypt and not AC?

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Clearly he’s not, the characters you quoted from, point that out. Down to succession, it should have been Barradin.

Ummm…Adelbern is an heir of Doric. That’s old news. Like I said, it’s not a single family line.

I have no idea why he’s in Barradin’s tomb. Why is he?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

The first line of Adelbern’s wiki page lol: “Descended from the great King Doric…”

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

Ummm…Adelbern is an heir of Doric.

You just quoted multiple characters who said he wasn’t a true successor despite their own support for the decision. By your logic the common street rat would have just as much right to be King and a rightful ruler: “All modern royalty in Tyria, including Kryta, are descendants of Doric himself.”

You tell me.

The curse of the Foefire says:

The Foefire ghosts will be put to rest when either Sohothin or Magdaer are returned to Ascalon City in the hands of the rightful King of Ascalon.

Why would Rytlock be in Barradin’s Crypt reciting the words: “Ascalon, I free you from this curse.” What other reasons would have him going there instead of Ascalon Catacombs or anywhere else for that matter?

(edited by Ronin.7381)

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Ummm…Adelbern is an heir of Doric.

You just quoted multiple characters who said he wasn’t a true successor despite their own support for the decision. By your logic the common street rat would have just as much right to be King and a rightful ruler: “All modern royalty in Tyria, including Kryta, are descendants of Doric himself.”

You tell me.

The curse of the Foefire says:

The Foefire ghosts will be put to rest when either Sohothin or Magdaer are returned to Ascalon City in the hands of the rightful King of Ascalon.

Why would Rytlock be in Barradin’s Crypt reciting the words: “Ascalon, I free you from this curse.” What other reasons would have him going there instead of Ascalon Catacombs?

Yes…a common street rat would have as much right to be king in Ascalon…as long as he was descended from Doric. You seem to think royalty = kingship in Ascalon, that’s not how it worked. That’s Kryta, and perhaps Orr who knows, but that wasn’t Ascalon.

How do you know that cinematic is in Barradin’s Crypt? Did I miss that info somewhere?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

You seem to think royalty = kingship in Ascalon, that’s not how it worked.

That’s like saying if Nedd was smart he wouldn’t have had his head chopped off. Of course that’s not how it turned out, there wouldn’t have been a plot in the first place. But if Barradin maintained his stance for being King, he would have been King. It’s that simple.

How do you know that cinematic is in Barradin’s Crypt? Did I miss that info somewhere?

Watch the cinematic. Go roll a Charr.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

You seem to think royalty = kingship in Ascalon, that’s not how it worked.

That’s like saying if Nedd was smart he wouldn’t have had his head chopped off. Of course that’s not how it turned out, there wouldn’t have been a plot in the first place. But if Barradin maintained his stance for being King, he would have been King. It’s that simple.

Watch the cinematic. Go roll a Charr.

First, who is Nedd?

Second, you’re right Barradin could have forced his own kingship. And? That still doesn’t matter. You haven’t explained why that matters.

Third, how is that background in the cinematic clearly Barradin’s Crypt? Has it been stated by ANet that it is? If so, where?

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

Second, you’re right Barradin could have forced his own kingship. And? That still doesn’t matter. You haven’t explained why that matters.

Because that could explain why Rytlock is in Barradin’s Crypt? Why else would he go there and: “Ascalon, I free you of your curse.”, before slamming his sword down into the ground?

Third, how is that background in the cinematic clearly Barradin’s Crypt? Has it been stated by ANet that it is? If so, where?

Rytlok is coming down a small flight of chairs, guards guarding the archway, and Rytlock enters the crypt. As I said, roll a Charr and play through the prologue. When you see Barradin’s statue, stare out in the direction he’s facing and you’ll see the same hallway that is at Rytlock’s back in the cinematic. Clear as day.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Lol, that’s not how the legend goes. Tell you what, I’ll go right now and check out that hallway in Barradin’s Crypt. In the meantime, you might want to read this GW2 wiki page about Rytlok’s/Rurik’s sword, Sohothin:

“According to legend, if either this sword or its sister returns to the haunted remains of Ascalon City in the hands of the rightful king of Ascalon, the ghosts there will finally be laid to rest.”

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

“According to legend, if either this sword or its sister returns to the haunted remains of Ascalon City in the hands of the rightful king of Ascalon, the ghosts there will finally be laid to rest.”

I’m aware. What’s your point? Why is he in Barradin’s Crypt slamming Sohothin into the ground? Barradin’s Crypt is in Ascalon. That whole realm is Ascalon, the ruins of it.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

What’s your point? Why is he in Barradin’s Crypt slamming Sohothin into the ground? Barradin’s Crypt is in Ascalon. That whole realm is Ascalon, the ruins of it.

Ascalon =/= Ascalon City. Good grief, you never played the original game did you? Barradin’s Estate is a good hike west of Ascalon City.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

LOL!

Oh lordy it is in that room. Oh ANet, you really outdid yourself this time. I’ve seen them go back on GW1 stuff plenty of times, but this is the first time I’ve seen them do it on their GW2 stuff.

I stand corrected.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

LOL!

Oh lordy it is in that room. Oh ANet, you really outdid yourself this time. I’ve seen them go back on GW1 stuff plenty of times, but this is the first time I’ve seen them do it on their GW2 stuff.

I stand corrected.

Now ask yourself why this piece is significant.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

What piece? o.O

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

What piece? o.O

The scene, bro. Where Rytlock goes into Barradin’s Crypt, slams Sohothin into the ground and says, “Ascalon, I free you of this curse.”

Why is this significant?

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

You have to ask that?

Obviously, GW2 ANet thinks Barradin is the rightful king of Ascalon. It’s not my fault they don’t pay attention to their predecessor.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Ronin.7381

You have to ask that?

Obviously, GW2 ANet thinks Barradin is the rightful king of Ascalon. It’s not my fault they don’t pay attention to their predecessor.

We don’t even know what’s going to go down and yet you mock them because you weren’t paying attention. Wonderful.

in Lore

Obsidian.1328

Well we know what’s going down now, don’t we? HA, you just proved that, silly man!! Own it!

Oh and no, I mock them because they weren’t paying attention…to their own game.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: DraconicDak.9340

DraconicDak.9340

Or they’ve been paying more attention than you have…

It always amazes me when players have the audacity to proclaim they know more about the game than those who designed, built, and wrote it. In a week’s time, it will all make sense.

Member of I Can Outtweet a Centaur! [TWIT] | Writer for Under the Pale Tree
twitguild.enjin.com | thepaletree.net
Jade Quarry [JQ]