The White Mantle Return: A THEORY *SPOILERS*

in Lore

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

Yeah I thought about this when I saw it! It definately seems we are going to get at least one sub plot with Bandits and maybe the White Mantle.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Posted by: Xenophanes.8360

Xenophanes.8360

CURRENT LIVING WORLD EPILOGUE SPOILERS
-
-
-

This thread on Reddit has posted some very interesting observations regarding Brisban Wildlands and the Bandits!

Our theory also got an honorable mention! <3

See the thread for yourself here if you guys are interested:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/20qc8e/spoilers_some_cool_information_from_the_epilogue/

Link to the imgur screencap gallery of observations, Credit to Yodawgz of Reddit!:
http://imgur.com/a/rp1HX

Now to start off a discussion, what piqued my interest was the so called “Sinister Triad” comprised of Nightmare Court, Bandits, and Inquest. What struck me as odd was the involvement of the bandits, really. With the Nightmare Court and Inquest being such prominent factions within the world of Tyria, why are the bandits given the same attention and included in such a noteworthy alliance?

Now bandits truly are a problem and we’ve seen the bandits ally with these forces somewhat in the past by way of dynamic events if I recall correctly, but it was never given such an interesting title as the “Sinister Triad”. Now this may be wishful thinking on my part, but I really hope this means that the bandits will reveal their true White Mantle colors.

What do you guys think? Isn’t it weird that the Living Story suddenly mentions bandits specifically? Things are looking good for our theory, but only time will tell if the White Mantle will truly return!

(edited by Xenophanes.8360)

in Lore

Blurk.6231

Well I must admit it is strange, but it is also classic storytelling. “Look there is some minor thing that we have to fix, lets go there…. OH MY GOOOOOD it’s a dragon!!! Run for thy lives!!!!” I am not the best writer but you get the gist. Also I dont really expect them to explain more bandit stuff really. I think they are just using this as an excuse to go beyond Brisban so we can discover Mordremoth there.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

Yeah, more than likely, we’ll go to Brisban, and we’ll get a few teases about White Mantle, but they’ll probably save meatier White Mantle Content for later. For now this ‘triad’ is our ‘alliance of the month’, but at least this time it’s been in the game since launch, and is actually more plausible than say the nightmare alliance.

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

Well I must admit it is strange, but it is also classic storytelling. “Look there is some minor thing that we have to fix, lets go there…. OH MY GOOOOOD it’s a dragon!!! Run for thy lives!!!!” I am not the best writer but you get the gist. Also I dont really expect them to explain more bandit stuff really. I think they are just using this as an excuse to go beyond Brisban so we can discover Mordremoth there.

For surely! It’s a minor use of Deus Ex Machina for sure. I really think the main story line will be trying to head to Maguuma for Mordremoth related purposes really. It would just be really strange to me personally if they didn’t take the amazing opportunity to touch upon the White Mantle considering they fled to the very same jungles. XD

What do you think about the sudden inclusion of Marjory’s sister? That struck me as a very left field way of bringing the story to Brisban. However, it does suddenly create a connection between Brisban and the Delaqua, so it’s very interesting to me.

in Lore

Dunan Atreides.5436

While Belinda herself doesn’t really seem all that interesting in terms of personality, story-wise it enables Anet to re-affirm human cultural issues, re-affirm Delaqua’s(and the working class’s) distrust of nobility, helps us see that her family is very accepting of Kasmeer, provides interesting story-telling opportunties for Logan, Belinda, and Marjory (since Belinda is a subordinate of Logan, and Marjory has worked with Logan before), and lets us know that Seraph has interests in Brisban, all with the introduction of one character, strategically placed.

in Lore

Blurk.6231

Yeah it is for a Deus Ex Machina a strange way, introducing a relative of one of the main characters. They could also have used Logan. Although this presses for more urgency. If Logan himself was sent there, it would be a serious issue. Otherwise you wouldnt send the leader of the Seraph to it. With this new character, they still have room on how much attention they want to give to the issue of the bandits. Do they want to make it serious? Fine, let it get out of hand and “uncontrolable” for Big Beli (love the nickname). But if Logan was to go there, it would have been more than “just bandits disturbing the economy and doing bandit like stuff”. Belinda’s introduction allows diffirent story progressions. They can decide wheter or not it will be a highlighted topic or if Belinda will only need your help destroying the fort in Brisban to get behind Brisban (I am just giving a random example here, I know you can enter when the bridge is repaired). So I will have to give them a pass for Belinda’s introduction. Give them time to decide and let us keep this thread up so they see how intriguing this plot line will be It also adds more flavour to the character of Marjory too, some tidbits about her past.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

I’m banking on Belinda being introduced so the journey to Brisban Wildlands has a direct connection to Marjory Delaqua. XD

With her journey to Brisban full of bandits and what not, and interests in black market traders concerning Divinity’s Reach, she just might be the key to Marjory’s currently lingering story regarding “E”, the murdered boy, and the corruption in the Krytan Ministry.

in Lore

Dunan Atreides.5436

Belinda is anet’s way of including seraph interests without necessarrily using Logan – who is voice by Troy Baker, who like Felicia Day, is hard to schedule for.

I’m calling it, Belinda will probably die.

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

Belinda is anet’s way of including seraph interests without necessarrily using Logan – who is voice by Troy Baker, who like Felicia Day, is hard to schedule for.

Hahahaha, i’m placing my money on that horse as well. That might be the spark that’s needed for Marjory to connect the dots with her own cases. XD

in Lore

Blurk.6231

Hahahaha, i’m placing my money on that horse as well. That might be the spark that’s needed for Marjory to connect the dots with her own cases. XD

Now THIS would be nice storytelling! That would mean Marjory would have to reveal more about her past and that would start a new plot line.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

Now THIS would be nice storytelling! That would mean Marjory would have to reveal more about her past and that would start a new plot line.

Hopefully tying up some loose ends in her story “The Last Straw” while she’s at it! 8D

And since this all about the theory, I’m also putting my money on the White Mantle having a role in there somewhere. 8DDD really wants Anet to touch on them LOLOL

in Lore

Blurk.6231

Hopefully tying up some loose ends in her story “The Last Straw” while she’s at it! 8D

And since this all about the theory, I’m also putting my money on the White Mantle having a role in there somewhere. 8DDD really wants Anet to touch on them LOLOL

Could be, could be… Only time will tell us if you’re right. While the option is open, they can also skip a step and go outright to the Mursaat. Either way would please me.

I am hoping for you and for all of us it is going to be somwhere in this direction))

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

Could be, could be… Only time will tell us if you’re right. While the option is open, they can also skip a step and go outright to the Mursaat. Either way would please me.

I am hoping for you and for all of us it is going to be somwhere in this direction))

Ahhhh, the Mursaat. It would be so great if they made a return. I’m not entirely keen on the possibility right now, but I would be so happy if it happened one way or another.)

That’s actually one of the reasons we focused on the White Mantle for our theory, it just seems more plausible overall with politics and all. XD The Mursaat though, it would be amazing if anet managed to somehow bring them back to the limelight. XD

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Yeah, this is one of the first times they mentioned human bandits in the Living Story, right? Since it’s black market, I’m thinking it could lead down two paths, possibly both being interrelated -

White Mantle supporting bandits and possibly this black-market, as per your theory,

or Consortium is back in the picture, or maybe even both organizations are connected?

IMO this was actually a very smooth tie-in that connects human interests, Destiny’s Edge 2.0, and possible dragon locations. I thought the interaction with Belinda also provided a very good grounding that the Delaqua family is indeed working-class, and that class divisions are still a dominating force in human culture – after all that lore-bending molten-nightmare-alliance stuff, it’s good to see the laws, dogmas, and group dynamics of the world are still informing the story.

Or maybe the bandits have begun working with a previously unknown group of sylvari in the Magus Falls area.

in Lore

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

in Lore

Posted by: FearTheOyster.5138

FearTheOyster.5138

. But what about Marjory and Kasmeer? They don’t have anything to do with Destiny’s Edge. They have no old characters that relate to them to bring up like the others. From a story telling perspective, so far Marjory and Kasmeer have functioned as the sort of detective agency that pushes forward the story based on what they deduce, but is that all they have to offer?

Marjory was directly hired by Logan Thackeray to investigate Theo Ashford’s assassination, and Kasmeer her assistant. That is how they get involved in the storyline, and (for a while, anyways) who they report to in regards to the storyline. Kasmeer even seems to be familiar with Logan as well, probably due to him meeting and knowing a lot of nobility.

That said, Logan’s association with Taimi is far more tenuous at best. If anything, they are just distant acquaintances.

They eventually started delivering their discoveries to Ellen Keil when things began to implicate corruption and mayhem in LA politics, of course.

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

While Belinda herself doesn’t really seem all that interesting in terms of personality, story-wise it enables Anet to re-affirm human cultural issues, re-affirm Delaqua’s(and the working class’s) distrust of nobility, helps us see that her family is very accepting of Kasmeer, provides interesting story-telling opportunties for Logan, Belinda, and Marjory (since Belinda is a subordinate of Logan, and Marjory has worked with Logan before), and lets us know that Seraph has interests in Brisban, all with the introduction of one character, strategically placed.

While is does help to tell a tighter story, it shrinks Tyria from being this huge world with diverse characters and further reinforces the cliché that being related to a notable character makes you a story character. The Living Story is making Tyria feel so small when suddenly Marjory is related to what is suspected to be a lead NPC in a future plot.

We already knew the Seraph were interested in Brisban – they have been working there since launch.

We’ve had vague indications the Consortium is up to something, Evon is being portrayed as a less sympathetic character in recent releases, Canach has a billet and convenient experience with the Consortium, the bandits (presumably based out of Fort Vandal) are linked to a black market (Consortium/Black Lion?) and maybe even the looters in Lion’s Arch. I wouldn’t be surprised if one or more of these plots are tied together.

Marjory is now linked to this content because her sister is there. If something happens to her sister or she asks Marjory for help, that’s the writer’s excuse to bring her (and presumably Kasmeer) back into it. Maybe they will tie it to Marjory’s investigations in Divinity’s Reach, Kraig the Bleak could be involved somehow, maybe they will even link it to the people Kasmeer’s brother gambled with (Tyria would become a really small place if they went that far). If they do go this route, I hope Braham and Rox stay out of it unless there is a good reason to include them.

in Lore

Posted by: Luquatic.3825

Luquatic.3825

This might be very interesting for this theory.

http://imgur.com/pCPiOjE,3vkFKj2,EPgV20x

Look at what she says at the third picture. This conversation can be found in Brisband when talking to the Seraph Sentinel at the Seraph Observers Waypoint.

A Thief on Desolation

(edited by Luquatic.3825)

in Lore

Posted by: SkeletalHorses.2108

SkeletalHorses.2108

Look at what she says at the third picture. This conversation can be found in Brisband when talking to the Seraph Sentinel at the Seraph Observers Waypoint.

I was just here earlier, and I took a number of screenshots. Xeno will upload them later (I was playing on his laptop so he still has them). The dialogue with the NPCs changed once I completed Brisban Wildlands (I only did so recently). And all of them mention being there to look for evidence of White Mantle activity at some point in the conversation.

in Lore

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I was just here earlier, and I took a number of screenshots. Xeno will upload them later (I was playing on his laptop so he still has the screenshot). The dialogue with the NPCs changed once I completed Brisban Wildlands. And all of them mention being there to look for evidence of White Mantle activity at some point in the conversation.

So all of the White Mantle mentions are new? I didn’t pay horribly close attention when I went through Brisban on my thief but I took my ele there last night and I was hearing a lot about the White Mantle from NPCs.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Lore

SkeletalHorses.2108

I was just here earlier, and I took a number of screenshots. Xeno will upload them later (I was playing on his laptop so he still has the screenshot). The dialogue with the NPCs changed once I completed Brisban Wildlands. And all of them mention being there to look for evidence of White Mantle activity at some point in the conversation.

So all of the White Mantle mentions are new? I didn’t pay horribly close attention when I went through Brisban on my thief but I took my ele there last night and I was hearing a lot about the White Mantle from NPCs.

I’m not really sure if all the White Mantle mentions are new. I just recently completed Brisban Wildlands (I think just a day after this thread was created) and I only went back there early this evening. I do remember during the day I was completing that map, when I completed the heart quest at Seanan’s bandit camp, the letter from the NPC mentioned the same thing about them being sent there to investigate the White Mantle rumours. That was the first mention of them that I encountered there.

I’m leaning more towards the idea the this information only becomes available to you once you complete the bandit-related heart quests (therefore, pre-patch). Though, it’s also worth noting how the lieutenant at the camp in the Hidden Lake specifically mentions the black market traders and their knowledge of the bandits being backed up by a bigger force.

(edited by SkeletalHorses.2108)

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

I was just here earlier, and I took a number of screenshots. Xeno will upload them later (I was playing on his laptop so he still has them). The dialogue with the NPCs changed once I completed Brisban Wildlands (I only did so recently). And all of them mention being there to look for evidence of White Mantle activity at some point in the conversation.

Hey there everyone. XD Here are those screenshots SkeletalHorses was talking about. She took them awhile ago while going around Brisban Wildlands looking for any more clues.

All this was most probably here since launch, but is still very interesting I think. XD What they’re all talking about seems to be connected to Marjory’s sister’s investigations concerning Brisban.

Attachments:

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

. But what about Marjory and Kasmeer? They don’t have anything to do with Destiny’s Edge. They have no old characters that relate to them to bring up like the others. From a story telling perspective, so far Marjory and Kasmeer have functioned as the sort of detective agency that pushes forward the story based on what they deduce, but is that all they have to offer?

Marjory was directly hired by Logan Thackeray to investigate Theo Ashford’s assassination, and Kasmeer her assistant. That is how they get involved in the storyline, and (for a while, anyways) who they report to in regards to the storyline. Kasmeer even seems to be familiar with Logan as well, probably due to him meeting and knowing a lot of nobility.

That said, Logan’s association with Taimi is far more tenuous at best. If anything, they are just distant acquaintances.

They eventually started delivering their discoveries to Ellen Keil when things began to implicate corruption and mayhem in LA politics, of course.

Much thanks for clearing that up! I’ll make a note of it in the main body of the theory crediting your information. Nice to know that they still have something to do with Logan. Logan seems to not be getting enough attention these days. XD

in Lore

SkeletalHorses.2108

I only noticed this now. I’m not familiar with the guy, however, I am now highly disturbed at how the White Mantle and the Inquest share the same titles for their higher-ups. Could be just coincidence (or a mistake in interpretation of ‘Inquisitor’ by the person who edited that article), but who knows.

in Lore

Blurk.6231

Much thanks for clearing that up! I’ll make a note of it in the main body of the theory crediting your information. Nice to know that they still have something to do with Logan. Logan seems to not be getting enough attention these days. XD

Logan got some attention in the LA story instance in Origins of Madness I believe and he had a pretty long dialogue. It is Zojja that hasnt appeared at all yet. Something that doesnt really bother me because she never said useful stuff. She is only whining about how stupid everyone is.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

Logan got some attention in the LA story instance in Origins of Madness I believe and he had a pretty long dialogue. It is Zojja that hasnt appeared at all yet. Something that doesnt really bother me because she never said useful stuff. She is only whining about how stupid everyone is.

I was around for that one! 8D He was really more of there just to talk about bringing Taimi home, oddly enough. I really wish the A-iconics would be more involved in the main story really, aside from the story dungeons. Our main point being that the B-iconics are a way for the A-iconics to be tangentially involved.

So it looks like all our bases are covered for now. Also, I’ve heard that Rytlock was present during the same patch, running around Bloodtide Coast with a small group of Charr during the Three-Headed Wurm’s arrival. Anyone have any information on what he was doing there?

in Lore

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I didn’t see this mentioned, but here is a link to a Dev quote regarding the Mursaat/White Mantle:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/jubilee/Missed-opportunity/first#post2563072

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Lore

Lostwingman.5034

I really want to breech Fort Vandal now…

in Lore

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

Oh god, I love this. One of my biggest complaints with GW2 was how it treated GW1 lore, or as I thought the lack of it. One of the aspects I really wanted to see is the White Mantle and Mursaat. And it feels that with the direction of the next LS, we may very well get to meet up these old adversaries again. And the political intreague within Kryta tied into this is just making me anxious to see what happens.

Thank you for a very good read.

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

Oh god, I love this. One of my biggest complaints with GW2 was how it treated GW1 lore, or as I thought the lack of it. One of the aspects I really wanted to see is the White Mantle and Mursaat. And it feels that with the direction of the next LS, we may very well get to meet up these old adversaries again. And the political intreague within Kryta tied into this is just making me anxious to see what happens.

Thank you for a very good read.

Much thanks for the interest! It really makes us happy to see the community discuss lore and possibilities. Right or wrong, speculation sure is fun. XD

I’m actually thinking of writing another essay with regards to my other personal theories and speculations, and maybe another essay as well concerning my thoughts on the current state of gameplay in Guild Wars 2 and how that affects us a community. Still on the fence right now whether I should do it or not. Actually awaiting the incoming big feature patch coming up to further solidify my thoughts and stuff. XD

Haha, got a bit off topic there. Anyways, about him:

This is very interesting! The wiki description says that the title might suggest that he is a high ranking memeber of the Inquest, but Inquisitor was actually a high ranking title for the White Mantle as well! Plus the fact that this NPC doesn’t currently exist within the game currently makes it all the more worthy for speculation.

While we’re on the topic of naming conventions, does anyone have any thoughts on Kraig the Bleak?

I pointed out in the theory that this was interesting because of the Mursaat naming convention of “[Name] the [Negative Adjective]”. Out of curiosity, are there any more examples of this type of naming convention being used for other NPCs?

in Lore

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

I pointed out in the theory that this was interesting because of the Mursaat naming convention of “[Name] the [Negative Adjective]”. Out of curiosity, are there any more examples of this type of naming convention being used for other NPCs?

Knight of Embers, Lania the Feathered Death, Soira the Dreameater…

The Nightmare Court does seem rather fond of similar naming conventions. And if the bandits are with the mursaat and the Inquest is with the mursaat, then that just leaves us one third of the Sinister Triad left…

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

in Lore

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

IDK if this tumblr user is one of you guys, but I saw a very similar theory written up at this post. They tie in the appearance of tormented weapons, and have a lot of visuals to go along with the text which makes reading through the denseness pretty fun. They even have caps of glitching into the fortress in (iirc) Brisbane with all the Champs on the wall and the unused portal into a new zone

Thank you for putting this all together!

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

in Lore

SkeletalHorses.2108

IDK if this tumblr user is one of you guys, but I saw a very similar theory written up at this post. They tie in the appearance of tormented weapons, and have a lot of visuals to go along with the text which makes reading through the denseness pretty fun. They even have caps of glitching into the fortress in (iirc) Brisbane with all the Champs on the wall and the unused portal into a new zone :3

And thank you for taking the time to read our theory. :)

Oh, that person isn’t us. And I actually saw the Tumblr post just last night, when a user on Reddit linked it in one of the convos there. It is indeed, a similar theory, though I disagree with it on a few points: (1) some mistakes in the naming of the factions mentioned and, (2) that Mordremoth resides in Bloodstone Fen. For one, that heavily fortified area is called Fort Vandal, and not Triforge Fort. Triforge actually refers to the alliance between the Peacemakers, the Wardens, and the Seraph present near that place (hence the Triforge Waypoint, where you find them). The Inquest, the Nightmare Court, and the Bandits are the Sinister Triad, or more specifically, the three individual—higher ups— from each group that you’ll encounter patrolling the area. It is constantly implied that they are undergoing negotiations to join forces (for reasons unknown as of now) and you’ll encounter dynamic events there wherein you are tasked to stop the said negotiations.

As for Mordremoth residing in Bloodstone Fen, there is a really slim chance of that being the case right now. If we go back to our history, the original Bloodstone was created during the previous awakening of the Elder Dragons to seal all the magic in Tyria and starve them, forcing them to go back to sleep. When Abbadon used the stone to wantonly grant magic to humanity, eventually causing the Guild Wars, the remaining Gods decided to split the stone into six (five of which represents each school of magic, and a sixth “reassembling” Keystone) and throw all of them into Abbadon’s Mouth (the volcano) to put a stop into the Guild Wars. Well…the volcano erupted, causing four of the pieces to fly all over Tyria (LOL Good job, Human Gods). And, as we all know, one of the pieces is the Bloodstone found in the Maguuma jungle. Now, for an area as big as the Maguuma Jungle, what are the chances of a stone being randomly flung from a caldera to land on the precise location an Elder Dragon is slumbering in? One can argue that Mordremoth could have moved closer to the stone (after all, it’s full of magic) but we need to keep in mind that he’s long been asleep by the time the stone landed there, and that, basing this on the ones that have been observed while they were still in slumber, the Elder Dragons don’t really move in their sleep, to the point that they practically become part of the landscape they are in. Unless Mordremoth is actually freakishly huge (I’m talking, bigger by a long shot than Kralkatorrik or Jormag here), it is highly unlikely we’ll find him in Bloodstone Fen. I’m not saying that this is impossible but the chances are really slim.

Also, I forgot to add, the Bloodstones were used by the White Mantle as sacrificial altars on which they slayed the Chosen, whose souls they use to power the soul batteries to keep the Titans locked away behind the Door of Komalie, in the Realm of Torment. The Chosen were instrumental to the fulfillment of the Flameseeker Prophecies (that chronicle the eventual downfall of the Mursaat at the hands of the Titans) which is why they did that. And considering the Titans and the Tormented are of the same realm, hence enemies to the Mursaat, I don’t see a reason for them to summon the Tormented creatures. Unless I’m mistaken. (could anyone who played GW1 confirm this?)

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

The Nightmare Court does seem rather fond of similar naming conventions. And if the bandits are with the mursaat and the Inquest is with the mursaat, then that just leaves us one third of the Sinister Triad left…

Hmmm, as much as I’d love to see this as a perfect example of the Mursaat naming convention, it seems a bit lacking to me actually.

The Mursaat were more fond of simple concrete adjectives and imposing titles like the Dire and Matron, instead of portmanteaus like Dreameater or abstract terms like Feathered Death.

Here are some concrete examples of Mursaat names:

• Willla the Unpleasant
  • Maida the Ill Tempered
  • Kratos the Foul
  • Lazarus the Dire
  • Mercia the Smug
  • etc.

Actually now that I’m looking at it, their names weren’t exclusively negative adjectives! Some mursaat were named nice sounding things, but usually in an ironic manner:

• Aily the Innocent
  • Ambrillus the Guardian
  • Melek the Virtuous
  • etc.

This is actually why i ended up gravitating towards the name Kraig the Bleak. It sounded a lot like a mursaat name.

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

IDK if this tumblr user is one of you guys, but I saw a very similar theory written up at this post. They tie in the appearance of tormented weapons, and have a lot of visuals to go along with the text which makes reading through the denseness pretty fun. They even have caps of glitching into the fortress in (iirc) Brisbane with all the Champs on the wall and the unused portal into a new zone

Hello there!

Thanks for reading through our stuff! Huh, this is actually the first time I’m seeing this tumblr post! Looks like SkeletalHorses saw it last night though. XD

I just read through it and besides some things that SkeletalHorses pointed out, I completely missed the little thing about Tormented Weapons! This sound super awesome as far as hint dropping is concerned. XD I didn’t even give it a second glance when they released it on the gem store, thinking nothing of it than just another weapon release.

I can’t believe I looked past the fact that they’re some of the hardest weapons to get in GW1 and have so much to do with old lore. XD I’m gonna do a ton of research now that this has been brought to my focus! I do remember that the Tormented weapons didn’t have much to do with the Mursaat though >_> I’m not sure if I’m remembering correctly but I’m going to do some research into that!

Regardless, the hint to old GW1 lore is amazing to me!

Man, I actually don’t have a tumblr, but would getting in touch with this guy be a possibility for anyone? It would be great to have more like-minded people discussing in this thread!

in Lore

SkeletalHorses.2108

Hmmm, as much as I’d love to see this as a perfect example of the Mursaat naming convention, it seems a bit lacking to me actually.

The Mursaat were more fond of simple concrete adjectives and imposing titles like the Dire and Matron, instead of portmanteaus Dreameater or Feathered Death.

Here are some concrete examples of Mursaat names:

• Willla the Unpleasant
  • Maida the Ill Tempered
  • Kratos the Foul
  • Lazarus the Dire
  • Mercia the Smug
  • etc.

Actually now that I’m looking at it, their names weren’t exclusively negative adjectives! Some mursaat were named nice sounding things, but usually in an ironic manner:

• Aily the Innocent
  • Ambrillus the Guardian
  • Melek the Virtuous
  • etc.

This is actually why i ended up gravitating towards the name Kraig the Bleak. It sounded a lot like a mursaat name.

There’s also Eitel the Unlovable, Minister Zamon’s personal bodyguard, whom you fight in the personal story. Though he’s just a regular Norn warrior, it’s still worth noting his connection to the entire thing (Minister Zamon being found guilty of supporting the Bandits).

And while we’re on the topic, there’s also Tenad the Faithful and Saul D’Alessio (Saul the Defender). Saul’s original name is Saul Boltof and he only adopted “D’Alessio” after he encountered the Mursaat. Now that I think about it, this naming convention doesn’t seem to be exclusive to the Mursaat, but also extends to members of the White Mantle, too.

in Lore

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

Man, I actually don’t have a tumblr, but would getting in touch with this guy be a possibility for anyone? It would be great to have more like-minded people discussing in this thread!

Ah, thank you both for replying! You guys made a lot of interesting points. I’m gonna have so much wiki’ing to do this weekend. XD

I can’t get ahold of the user directly; she has her inbox turned off and her ask turned off apparently due to people abusing it previously. :\ But I’ll try a roundabout way of giving your info to their significant other to see if they’d pass it along.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

Ah, thank you both for replying! You guys made a lot of interesting points. I’m gonna have so much wiki’ing to do this weekend. XD

I can’t get ahold of the user directly; she has her inbox turned off and her ask turned off apparently due to people abusing it previously. :\ But I’ll try a roundabout way of giving your info to their significant other to see if they’d pass it along.

No problem! We love discussion and stuff! 8D I’m glad to see even more people contributing, it makes us feel great to have sparked at least some interest!

That sounds great, I hope you can get in touch with her somehow and tell her about the ridiculous amount of excitement we share with her concerning GW1 lore!

Actually, SkeletalHorses and I are talking even more right now about possibilities and I’m encouraging her to post her thoughts on Queen Jennah on the whole situation! She has even more interesting ideas to add even til now! 8D

in Lore

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

The Mursaat were more fond of simple concrete adjectives and imposing titles like the Dire and Matron, instead of portmanteaus Dreameater or Feathered Death.

Now that I’m thinking of Twilight Arbor, I don’t recall a lot of titles there either. Yeah, you’re right. Ah well.

I still like to think there’s more to the Sinister Triad than ‘lets all team up against the good guys,’ though, but I’ll just have to wait and see. This is fun.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

Now that I’m thinking of Twilight Arbor, I don’t recall a lot of titles there either. Yeah, you’re right. Ah well.

I still like to think there’s more to the Sinister Triad than ‘lets all team up against the good guys,’ though, but I’ll just have to wait and see. This is fun.

Same here actually! There might be a more interesting motivation behind the alliance that we have yet to see!

Fun indeed!

in Lore

SkeletalHorses.2108

I still like to think there’s more to the Sinister Triad than ‘lets all team up against the good guys,’ though, but I’ll just have to wait and see. This is fun. :)

I’d be lying if I didn’t say I agree. And ‘fun’ is an understatement. It’s really exciting and refreshing to exchange theories and speculations like this. _

Actually, SkeletalHorses and I are talking even more right now about possibilities and I’m encouraging her to post her thoughts on Queen Jennah on the whole situation! She has even more interesting ideas to add even til now! 8D

I’m not even sure if people would be interested in that. >_> * grumble grumble* * shy *
I’d like to share but for the most part, it’s pure speculation based on a few tenuous connections.

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

I’d be lying if I didn’t say I agree. And ‘fun’ is an understatement. It’s really exciting and refreshing to exchange theories and speculations like this. _

I’m not even sure if people would be interested in that. >_> * grumble grumble* * shy *
I’d like to share but for the most part, it’s pure speculation based on a few tenuous connections.

OH COME ON. You’re theory on the queen is pretty interesting! You should really share it here with everyone. XD I can even add it to the bottom of our main theory as a little bonus theory. Haha!

We’re both kinda conspiracy nuts so let’s just all have fun with it. I’m sure everyone would have fun discussing even more possibilities. What makes it even better for us is the academic nature everyone approaches things here, pretty cool environment for intellectual discourse.

I’m really glad the lore forum is full of open minded people who want to discuss Tyria as a living breathing world.

in Lore

Blurk.6231

I have this flair for a reason….

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Blurk.6231

In all seriousness though, Id like to hear the Queen Jenna conspiracy. I have never trusted het since I read Edge of Destiny. She is good at.. Mind games…. Anyways she is the perfect person for a type of enemy like “keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer” She “gets captured” by bandits in Caudecus manor. The only way I see this tie into the White Mantle theory though is when the bandits are indeed working with the White Mantle and Caudecus and Queen Jenna has a share in it too. Such a “kidnapping” would be the only opportunity to meet and discuss. Queen Jenna could beat those bandits herself if she wanted. Afterwards she takes Caudecus with her to the palace to “keep an eye” on him. This way there are a lot more conspiracies to be made though so dont get into it too much!

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Xenophanes.8360

Hey there everyone!

Sorry for the long lapse in our presence, been a hectic weekend for us.
Oh and Blurk! I’ve been bugging SkeletalHorses to post her speculations about the Queen. She even pointed out some interesting details that I didn’t expect!

I’m sure you guys would enjoy her theory, but I’m leaving it to her to explain it. Haha! Maybe I can add it to the bottom of our main theory as a bonus theory! 8D

What do you guys think?

in Lore

Blurk.6231

Well that might not be the best place for it. The ones following this post or checking back at it from time to time might not notice it. If it is a really big conspiracy theory Id suggest just make a new topic. That way you can see if it hits and people like it and it will get even more attention if that is the case. You never know with conspiracy theories if people will like it. What I am ttying to say is that it will be more noticeable if it gets a seperate topic where you could place a link to this thread if it links a lot to this theory. In this post it will not be noticed or buried and the chance of getting attention with it is less.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

SkeletalHorses.2108

Oh, hello. Sorry for the absence these past few. I’ve been oddly absent-minded as of late. Anyway, for that other theory, while the idea of posting it as a completely new thread is really tempting, I think it’s still better for me to post it here instead. As I mentioned a few replies back, it mostly started out as a joke that I brought up with Xeno during the height of our theorycrafting, which slowly evolved into a semi-serious discussion once I started noticing things that sort of fit nicely into the scenario (like a proper conspiracy nut). I feel like right now, there’s still too little evidence aside from those tiny details for it to warrant serious discussion. On top of that, I’d really like to do Caudecus’ Manor first (haven’t done much dungeons yet coz my main is out of the current meta. haha) before I further this theory.

The main idea, though, is that there’s something not quite right about Queen Jennah (might not be really her…maybe?) and that this could provide a way for Logan Thackeray to finally get some character development.

Right now, my so-called ‘evidence’ is still really disjointed to put together into a coherent theory , so yeah. I swear Xeno is much better at sharing this people that I am. >_>

in Lore

Blurk.6231

Well just do what you want. It doesnt matter that much where you post it.

Look beyond the obvious…

in Lore

Lostwingman.5034

Wasn’t there a theory floating around for awhile now that Jenna is an illusion cast by Anise?