Bored of Hairstyles.

Bored of Hairstyles.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kiayin.3427

Kiayin.3427

It does match the chest piece.. if it’s a helmet it’ll probably be part of a heavy set. Goodbye my Dream.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Gabriel.4806

Gabriel.4806

OMG, can you please give Sylvari…
DREADLOCKS!!! or a beanie hat?

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Oenomaus.6413

Oenomaus.6413

Hey all, i thought i’d also add some inspiration or concepts for “Male hairstyles” since i play a male sylvari i was more adept with what i wanted it to look like. Anyway i’ve drawn two examples which are semi-long, which up to now, is’nt present in the game. (Hopefully that’ll change). I’ve also drawn some new faces, dunno tbh, would’nt mind seeing some new ones soon too. Tell me what you think, and hopefully Arenanet sees it. Well here they are.

Attachments:

(edited by Oenomaus.6413)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

I live in Florida, and we have a lot of palm trees! I play a female Sylvari, and I have always wanted a longer hair type (preferrably down to the shoulders), and I think using palm leaves would look nice. Even looking at the palm trees now in my backyard, I could strip off the leaf parts and fashion a straight-haired leaf wig with it. The leaves could be layered, just like real life hair can be layered, into a straight, longer style with partial bangs on one side. I would definitely use that hair style on my own Sylvari!

Imagine palm tree leaves instead of hair on these 2 pictures:

Attachments:

(edited by WatchTheShow.7203)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

So i decided to start posting some sketches i’v made, i’v quick painted em even cause i can’t rlly digital paint, it’s just so the diffrent “materials” were easier to tell from one another a Palm Tree Pony, and a Flowery Long Hair

Hope you like it :P more will come meanwhile, i rlly enjoyd drawing those

They need skin artists like YOU.

Sorry ANET, you’re taking from a pool of “employees” when you could have contests for best skins and award real money – what a silly company.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Amlet.5210

Amlet.5210

UAU!! Seeing some really good ideias here!!! I have a female sylvari, and really wanted some long hair, with flowers, fruits, shells, pearls, some mini glowing bugs or butterflyes or birds on the branches! That would be so nice!!! I really miss those kind of hairs, and I also think that we need more faces! Most of the sylvari players in GW2 look the same… Please ANET!! Make this come true!

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Valentine.6529

Valentine.6529

In the Sylvari intro CS there are a few artworks with unique hairstyles. This scene depicts two. The male on the far right and the female on the far left whose back is turned to us. I’d at least like to see the male one put in.

That hairstyle is what I was actually hoping would be in the game for Male Sylvari. I like the layered look of it, as well as the choppiness and how the hair color doesn’t seem to pull off of his skin color.

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Greyalis.2309

Greyalis.2309

The sylvari designs are fantastic Kristen Perry and to me they are the most interesting playable race. I like my sylvari’s hair so much already that I usually hide the helmet slot for any gear.

For my male sylvari character I would probably most opt for long curly hair like I have irl, such as perhaps a system of gnarled roots about shoulder length. Probably something along the lines of these oak tree roots.

Attachments:

Self Is The Emblem All

(edited by Greyalis.2309)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: vgomes.7380

vgomes.7380

So i just came up with this lilac inspired look today (amongst many others i’ve been sketching around, but are not really ready for display yet…I promise to post them as soon as i have some time, not like they are much of a professional work, but well it’s only ideas on paper.)

I know this one kinda gets to look similar to the pale tree’s shape, but the hair concept is diffrent, as a matter of fatc there IS a concept for this hair…So as we all know and can see, all sylvari hair have been themed around leafs and flowers have been avoided as much as possible, unfortunatly for those female sylvari players out there who wanted to look somehow beautiful, glamorous but somehow still capable of kicking arses (me included)

So this “lilac” hair would be, as you can see in the picture, a flower and obviously behave like one (wich is one of the reasons i believe Anet didn’t go for flower like hair on the sylvaries). So What do i mean “behave like one” basicly this hairstyle would be devided by two simples phases, daytime shape, and nightime shape…At daytime the hairstyle would look as it does in the picture below, just like an open flower. At nightime those leafs on the lower part of the flower would actually cover up the whole flower (as you can see on the little sketch on the upper part of the image). This would be a simulation of flower behaviour, for most of them close at night…So now you’ll ask about the glow, and well, in my concept, that glow would still happen, between the petals, even when those are covered, and the leaf would have some transparent shade, so that the glow could be seen on the leafs, but coming from the pettals…

Well such a big dream, and one i won’t see happening, not that soon anyways, but well dreaming wont hurt, and i like to put these out cheers hope you like it guys (i didn’t do a frontal sketch, i might update this sketch on a later post)

Attachments:

DA page

Sylvari…everywhere :3

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

Can one of you please check out the “Thistle” plant and see if you get inspired by that? It’s basically what my character is currently based on, but I think it could make a totally awesome hairstyle.

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Kristen Perry.5260

Previous

Kristen Perry.5260

Next

Hello everyone,

It sounds like we’re very much on the same page with a lot of general ideas for the sylvari. Heck, I’ve had concepts drawn up for long hair, flowers and dreads since before ship that I’d love to see. Even palm trees were on that hen scratching sheet. And more. ;}

So long as we’re talking philosophy (because as I mentioned before in the previous disclaimer, these are not promises or schedules: this is a wish list, right?), there are a couple things I though you might like discussed.

In most cases, I personally agree with minimizing the line between male and female styles. In my opinion, males can wear flowers just as much as females can wear spikes. The styles we shipped with were a combination of retrofitting earlier sylvari art direction and creating styles to flesh out the race. If when we shipped we had males and females wear the same styles, we wouldn’t be as able to create varied silhouettes. Creating variety can be more important than hair equality when you have a limited amount of time to build a full race. At ship, of course. :}

Having said that, I do think as an artist there are some styles and concepts that work better on one gender over another. Just because a male can wear a flower, it doesn’t have to be the same design as the female. I believe in tailoring to characters, not being shackled to principles for principle’s sake.

Oh, I wanted to mention that I love love LOVE all the drawings that you guys are doing and would love to see more! But just so you know: mosses, dandelion puffs and other soft forms (pine needles, too) are difficult to create when you only have access to load alpha — as are cascades of flowers or complex blossoms due to poly count. There are certain restrictions in place for creating a hair or face for the game. That’s not to say it’s impossible, however, but it may be impractical.

For the question of hairstyles pulling a lot of skin color, that’s because the first dye channel blends with the skin in order to create the ‘growing from’ look. If I use the skin tone to work with it, the hair feels more complex than just one color shade. This can change from hairstyle to hairstyle, of course. There’s a need for both. But if you have a bark body, I don’t have the channels to give you a color for leaves and a color for flowers. I have to pick one.

I’ve noticed for faces, most requests are at the end of the spectrum… folks seem to want pretty or creature, not as much in between. Interesting. Out of curiosity, why not? The race was designed to live in the in between. Any thoughts? :}

If you guys have the stamina, keep posting sketches! It’s so awesome seeing them and they are inspiring! I’d join you in drawing if I didn’t think it’d be picked up by some article and reported as an official release. ;P Ah well, I can live vicariously through all of you! Art it up, guys!

(edited by Kristen Perry.5260)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Crunch Bars.4309

Crunch Bars.4309

I was opposed to creating a Sylvari because the hairstyles and even the look drifted from the original concept art when GW2 was first introduced. If there were more hairstyles for Sylvari (or all races), I’d consider making more characters.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Kristen, for faces I think a lot of people would love to see both very abstract/strange faces and very pretty & relatable faces, I know that personally I see a lot of people talk about wanting both in-game. But I suppose more people may want the pretty faces because Sylvari are being seen as a sort of dryad/nymph race with a natural beauty much like a lot of Dryads/Nymphs you see in various mythologies whether this is intended or not, because a lot of people tend to try and draw things back to what they are used to.

That being said, my request would be to stay true to the vision of Sylvari that you & your team at ArenaNet have pursued – whatever that may be. A lot of the faces are too similar and ultimately don’t change all that much with the sliders so you can easily tell what preset was used, more so than with some of the other races. People also use the same ones too frequently because they are prettier to most people, so I guess the more “pretty” faces you have then the more variety we’d be seeing in the game I guess?

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Valentine.6529

Valentine.6529

In most cases, I personally agree with minimizing the line between male and female styles. In my opinion, males can wear flowers just as much as females can wear spikes. The styles we shipped with were a combination of retrofitting earlier sylvari art direction and creating styles to flesh out the race. If when we shipped we had males and females wear the same styles, we wouldn’t be as able to create varied silhouettes. Creating variety can be more important than hair equality when you have a limited amount of time to build a full race. At ship, of course. :}

Having said that, I do think as an artist there are some styles and concepts that work better on one gender over another. Just because a male can wear a flower, it doesn’t have to be the same design as the female. I believe in tailoring to characters, not being shackled to principles for principle’s sake.

I was soooo happy reading that. One of the reasons I chose Sylvari is because they didn’t necessarily have to follow gender norms that the other races have. I agree also on having a degree of variation among the same style depending on male or female would be cool. For instance, a long hairstyle for both genders could have a decorative flower on the side. For females it could be more of a Rose like design. While for males it could resemble Orchids. I dont know, just a thought I had on variations of designs. But now that the game has shipped you could perhaps minimize that line even more? ;D

As for the way faces are designed, I think people want one complete style like pretty so it fits in with the theme they are going for. If its a mix of both, then it gets harder for you to stick with the theme you wanted because now you have these other designs in on what you want. Also I think if something is one style its easier to make a design whole. For instance if I liked the way the eyes looked, and the lips, but absolutely hated the cheeks because it deviated away from pretty and went to creaturesque then it ruins the whole face for me. Because if I were to choose that face then the cheeks would be glaring back at me every time I played. Thats why I think having a mix of both pretty and creaturesque can sometimes hinder your customization because its two different themes into one. Not saying I hate the Sylvari faces, I think a lot of them are gorgeous. But having one type of theme or style for a face is a lot easier to customize.

If I had any talent in art I’d draw up something xD Wish you could share some concept ideas that you have! I’d love to know about some long hairstyle ideas for both male and female.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Shep.7356

Shep.7356

I’ve noticed for faces, most requests are at the end of the spectrum… folks seem to want pretty or creature, not as much in between. Interesting. Out of curiosity, why not? The race was designed to live in the in between. Any thoughts? :}

One thing I don’t like about the sylvari design is that with the leafy/bark features on a still very humanoid looking character makes them look kind of like weird, skinned, green humans. Particularly the male characters you can see this, whereas the females still look very human, relatable, and generally attractive. It looks odd. Just my two cents. I do prefer the designs that do go more towards one of the spectrums.

(edited by Shep.7356)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

Hello Kristen!

I think it might be because the faces we have exist in a middle ground, and so when people think of what they’d like to see more of, it’s easier to conceptualize in one direction or another. Since we have kind of “in between” already, people are maybe branching out (har har) into ideas that reflect their preference to skew a little more one way or the other. I love the combination of beauty and alien traits in the sylvari, but I admittedly like the faces best that are creature with a touch of pretty, rather than pretty with a touch of creature. My favorite sylvari face is the male leaf face, which is beautiful, but also unsettling and distinctly inhuman.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Aceline.3567

Aceline.3567

I’m really digging all the dread locks suggestions

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Bredegi.1943

Bredegi.1943

I personally LOVE the sylvari race as well, got a male elementalist and thief, and a female mesmer. I wanted to make a guardian as well, if my asura wasn’t so perfect.. I Especially love Cultural T2 for male sylvaris, the fairy look makes it easy to create the perfect elementalist, and match the ends of the “wings” with the hair looks amazing!
On the note of new design and faces, i’d love to se asymmetrical looks, like holes, fungus, or moss growing on only one side of the face. And maybe it shouldn’t be a standard armor choice, but I love the idea of longer hair on the females. The ponytail only seem to work with one or two faces, or else it becomes too tight and not that “pretty” or interesting. And i also love vines, the nightmare armor tangling around the feet etc etc,
Maybe i should start sketching some stuff as well, keep up the good work, and i’m looking forward to future updates :)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Jalen.8746

Jalen.8746

I’d absolutely love more hairstyles, but something I desperately want is more facial hair; my favorite sylvari face has cactus needles for a goatee, and that’s one of my favorite details probably in all of character creation. It’d be awesome if you could somehow add a facial hair section to the sylvari creation process, not that it’s actually, uh, -hair- or anything, but still! I’d die for more options <3

I’d also really love some sort of vine-braid, or flower-leafy-vine braid. If I find some time, I’ll draw up concepts!

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: rhael.6317

rhael.6317

With alpha and poly restrictions in mind, I’ve only seen my interest come up a handful of times here, yet it’d work great with the limitations. While I’m not a huge fan of the other races’ afros, the mushroom hair was a very cool idea and unexpected as I browsed through the list. Fungus isn’t really living plant tissue, so why not consider other materials beyond leaves and bark? Flowers have been pushed a lot so far with good reason, but how about fruit?

Small grapes (and berries) could substitute nicely for a “curly” hairstyle. Tangled vines could have a few fruit as “accessory” objects (like braided hair having beads tying off the ends). Chili peppers are fruits, too and have a nice thin, long shape that could provide some contrasting style(s). Berries can cluster, or cascade down attached to bushy leaves.

An auxiliary suggestion would be ivy. I’m such a bad visual artist that anything I put to pencil would probably come out as a squiggle, but I love considering these ideas together and reading some great suggestions so far.

Leafy Lemon of Unrepentant [Uey]
Stormbluff Isle Megaserver, PvX, US
www.unrepentantgaming.com

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Izz All Din.4978

Izz All Din.4978

Hi, i haven’t got a sylvari myself. The reason is simple. I like the character but it’s not my style though. Nonetheless I think the sylvari is an piece of art. That’s all folks

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Aurelio.9531

Aurelio.9531

I did a real quick sketch of a sylvari hair/face I and my freinds would kill to see in-game, hope it’s alright ;o Sylvari are my favorite and I need more on my character list. All of them, all the Sylvari!

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Leviathan.7459

Leviathan.7459

I pretty much only like 2 Sylvari hairstyles so I somewhat agree.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Leviathan.7459

Leviathan.7459

I did a real quick sketch of a sylvari hair/face I and my freinds would kill to see in-game, hope it’s alright ;o Sylvari are my favorite and I need more on my character list. All of them, all the Sylvari!

OMG I LOVE THIS HAIR GIMMIE NAOW

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: gashu.8275

gashu.8275

Cactus Buns. One bun or double like Princess Leia, I’m not picky. You could have the glow run along the spine rows.

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Adelas.6598

Adelas.6598

YES, they have a gold-mine of a concept here for this race but it’s soo … limited.
Hairstyles they could use!
Cotton Bloom head for Afro
Thick Vines for dreads/ mid sized ones for curly or long non-dread styled hair
Grass for buzz cuts/ short hair
Pig-tails that are actually just two large blooming flowers
Bulbs that can be buns.
Thorn bush branches for Mohawks/ dreads again
Aloe Leaf hair
You can also take fruit as an example. Berries Bush Branches.

I would love to have weeping willow style longer hair, or needly branches, and more non-tropical looks in general.

I just love all these.

Cattails, maple leaves (I grew up in Michigan and nothing says tree to me like maple leaves turning color), pinecones — I am absolutely in love with the pink flower ponytails someone drew — I like the long hair leaves with little decorations like lilac flowers, or lilies of the valley scattered through as shown above. I like my girly to be really, REALLY girly.

How about less standard plants, too, like a pitcher plant shaped "bun"’, or <a href=“http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2012/11/02-carnivorous-plants.jpg.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg”>these nifty sticky things</a>, or a <a href= “http://www.google.com/search?q=plants&safe=active&client=firefox-a&hs=gWX&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zqUNUtvICeaR2wXew4GYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=873#bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&channel=fflb&fp=edee38d03212cb21&q=fern+frond&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sa=1&safe=active&tbm=isch&imgdii=”>fern frond unfurling ponytail (seriously shocked nobody has mentioned that)</a> or broccoli/cauliflower (oh and hey if you’re going to do that, <a href=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXIMUkSXX0”>get your math right or we’ll tell Vi on ya</a>). I like bark and pinecones too.

One unfortunate aspect of the lore is that they’re all young, so there aren’t any old, wizened-looking faces or hair or bodies. But then… they get to make themselves, and they dream of old people, so why not choose to look like a wise elder?

I am a big fan of Aurelio’s guy. Two things I really like about it: (a) it has noticeably plant-like protrusions from the face, BUT in places that allow it to still be a humanoid profile* and (b) it looks a little mean. I think it’s reasonable that there are some undecided sylvari out there, working with humans and being heroes, but bordering on joining the nightmare court. Some mean guys would be good.

*I actually have the guy face that has the sticky-outiest bits, and it’s still nice [kind] looking and handsome. They’re not mutually exclusive, I guess I just ran the two points together.

I agree that ripped leaves and battle scars are reasonable, too. Yeah, it’s a little immersion-breaking during the introductory instance, but once you’ve been through that first fight, it makes sense that some would not come through unscathed.

As for my perspective on what I like: I want something that looks like a person, and pretty, but definitely not human. For my main sylvari, I was going to go with some pretty leaf hair, but I found that the artichoke hair felt the most natural extension of her head, and most plant-like to me. I have the flower ears to help soften it up a bit (I would have gone with the wood-knot ones otherwise). Still, I chose a very human like face because I wanted to look at a pretty face all the time.

Which brings me to my last point: I am SO with all these folks saying we need more leaf armor. When there are only four plant armors (well, technically twelve, but only four that a character can use), they get popular and then old really quick. Furthermore, I want to see my sylvari’s fantastically designed body, but I picked heavy armor…. It takes a bit of work to find something that fits those criteria.

Leaf armor!
Petal armor!!!!!
Bark armor!
LEAFY PETALLY OAKY MAPLEY BARKY SPIKEY TOWN CLOTHES!!!!!!!!!!

ahem, sorry, got carried away. I’ll be happy with pretty much anything you add

PS, why is the bald cap around my guy’s hair so plain? why no texture?

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Sanel.5603

Sanel.5603

I would love to see some flowers that are open during the day and closed turing the night. Would greatly boost that flower feeling of race

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Raiox.5920

Raiox.5920

I haven’t really read what anyone else posted besides the dev, I checked out everyone’s art though and they’re pretty good. I understand the idea behind poly count and that the best way to go about this is flatter shapes. Here’s my random two ideas for long “hair”.

I live in Florida, so naturally I thought about palm trees/coconut trees, but a more swampy/leathery/glossy leaf/floppy leaf is needed for the weight natural long hair gives. So, something like this http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3233/3035362246_60fbb6aa70_o.jpg in palm tree form would look like the top drawing. I added a coconut, but literally any round shape in that spot would replace the concept of a hair ribbon on females in real life.

The second one, I thought about Canadian “fan-service” and the draconic helm. http://i.imgur.com/gV1HX.png Not looking to replace the helmet. I demonstrated this one horribly, but looking at “A.” I put on the drawing, aka the back of the hair, I wanted to replicated the draconic leggings cloth part, for “B.”, I was thinking of the little maple leaves acting as spikey side burns as side burns are the most interesting aspect in a hair style.

I feel the most important think in a sylvari hairstyle is giving volume either in width, or height. I feel the most chosen hairstyles in the game are the ones that don’t have symmetry though. I like Murke’s dreadlocks, The male sylvari in the intro CS, and the picture Kiayin took of a root comb over, but less length cut off at the shoulder ends. With my drawings, I’m not expecting them to be any good, I just think everyone’s looking more at turning human hair into sylvari hair, I feel people are confusing them with elves, or pokemon when they start trying to put a whole tree on their head and I feel we should focus more on leaf types, shapes, weight, and texture. The tricky part is making this leaves/thick objects replicate hair, but don’t look at it as hair, I would go buy a small plastic or styrofoam head, go out and get different leaves and glue them to the head in different ways.

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Mrs Mawi.6470

Mrs Mawi.6470

Faces are the most important thing about a character.
Before GW2 was released, I was 100% sure i’d play Sylvari as my main. I loved the idea of having a ranger who was at one with nature. I imagined their faces being beautiful with sharp features….but I was utterly gutted when I saw them for the first time. Don’t get me wrong, armor is gorgeous, some of the hair is really nice, the colours you can choose are wonderful…..but what happened to their faces? I’ve tried so many times to create one I even remotely like but I can’t.

I have to admit, one of the things I dislike about them is their animation. They do this really goofy looking thing where they smile and widen their eyes. In my mind, Sylvari are graceful beautiful creatures. I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into them but there is way more choice with other classes. I’ve made lots of other characters with the other classes that I love. (Apart from Charr as they’re too big for me haha!). But Sylvari were one of the reasons I was looking forward to this game. My wallpaper on my pc is still of the Sylvari. She was gorgeous.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Technically, seeing as sylvari gender is something completely artificial, having a distinction between males and females itself is being shackled to principles for principles sake. There was a lot of lost opportunity in making sylvari too much human-like.
That is, however, something for a completely separate discussion.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Pikachoo.9352

Pikachoo.9352

This looked interesting and I love sylvari’s they are my favorite race in the game. Though with the lack of hair and face it isn’t my main let alone the female sylvari’s even have a uni-brow looking face yuck… So I decided to take part in the dream up your own hairstyle. It seems fun. They do need more longer hair or hairstyles for that matter. To many sylvari lookalikes due to only a few good looking faces and hairstyles but doesn’t stop them from being my favorite.

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

I love the idea of new hairstyles but shouldn’t you begin with the race which has the least options? → asura!

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Mrs Mawi.6470

Mrs Mawi.6470

This looked interesting and I love sylvari’s they are my favorite race in the game. Though with the lack of hair and face it isn’t my main let alone the female sylvari’s even have a uni-brow looking face yuck… So I decided to take part in the dream up your own hairstyle. It seems fun. They do need more longer hair or hairstyles for that matter. To many sylvari lookalikes due to only a few good looking faces and hairstyles but doesn’t stop them from being my favorite.

Yessss!!! Those designs are exactly how i’d imagined Sylvari’s hair to look!

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Aethgar.1784

Aethgar.1784

I think something I’d really like in the sylvari is.. well.. thematically it lies between humanoid and creature. But something more savage. Not charr savage.

But let’s face it. These aren’t ‘humans’ despite their resemblance. Right now, on male and female, the starker options look more wizened than harshly forbidding. Having features that hint strongly at some of the alien but powerful imagery of the Green Man as portrayed throughout the British Isles, having faces which near human but have an austerity to them.. that’s what’s missing for me. The sylvari faces are a bit too approachable. They have a kind of childlike beauty.
And that works thematically and within the concept, but taking it to a level which captures the majesty of the plant kingdom, or how it can sometimes be threatening, or untouchable.. I’d really like that too.

puts on large flame kittenant hat I’ll be honest. I was wildly, passionately, madly in love with the original night elf concept in WC3. The idea of beings so attuned to the fundamentally gray morality of nature. Not good, not bad. Just… is what it is kind of thing. Primally beautiful, stark, potent. The majesty that leaves you a little breathless, but doesn’t welcome you in. When I first looked to sylvari, I hoped to find some hint of that same level of why an oak tree standing alone in a field can startle, or a gnarled pine clinging to a rockface can shake the viewer.

Tarnished Coast| House Corvidae
Lord Ahrwit Valdyr/Isambard FitzValdyr/many more…

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Lupini.6938

Lupini.6938

We’re here…I’ve tried to pick all my sylvari with “blended faces.” However, in just about any aspect of life the “middle ground” people rarely make much noise. Folks with more extreme views are generally more vocal. Just my opinion, after 50+ years on the planet. Don’t discount us!

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: moronwmachinegun.3815

moronwmachinegun.3815

At daytime the hairstyle would look as it does in the picture below, just like an open flower. At nightime those leafs on the lower part of the flower would actually cover up the whole flower (as you can see on the little sketch on the upper part of the image).

I haven’t played my Sylvari much yet, but I do know that Asura ears can go from droopy during non-combat to alert mode during combat. If they can’t implement night/day differences (and just to be contrary, there needs to be an option to have the flower open at night instead) how about out of combat/in combat? It would be awesome to see flowers fade/hide to be replaced by spikes/thorns/etc.

I would love to get a hairstyle that comes with a butterfly.

Quaggan is not a bad calf. Quaggan is a good little calf.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Naveras.2905

Naveras.2905

I really, really, enjoy all of those idea’s and styles. Great work!

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: jkough.7316

jkough.7316

I petition for Kodan. I will not settle for less.

Pancake Boy

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: jkough.7316

jkough.7316

Actually one thing came to mind as I was thinking of how much I wouldn’t settle. I would probably appreciate sylvari more if I could be more like a tree, instead of pigeonholed into a generic house plant.

Pancake Boy

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Firstly, I always considered the relative lack of hair/face options for Sylvari to be because we had such much other variety. Two skin textures, two toned skin from a wide spectrum, and a glow. However, I do wish there were more options in some areas.

Faces – I personally prefer the more humanoid minimalist of face options, and from what I’ve seen a lot of other people use the exact same face. I’d like to see more Sylvari faces (for males at least) that use this same principle, a relatively human Face with some minimal plants features. For example, I love the slightly leafy eyebrows, cheekbones, and chin ‘beard’ on the current ‘minimalist face’)

Hair – here too I seem to have chosen the most popular option (males and females share this style). Mainly I like it because it, at a glance, looks more like real hair. I wouldn’t mind seeing hair like it was originally described (a plant simulation of real hair). But I also wouldn’t mind seeing some more plantish hair, like woven leaves.

I sorta feel guilty because I know the most of my feedback amounts to ‘give me a human with leaves stuck on’ and I don’t mean it that way. I love the current iteration of Sylvari, but Id like to see more variety of what is already there so that I don’t look like everyone else because the ‘miminalist’ plant look is so popular.

I added a pic of my Mesmer for reference. I love to show off the unique Sylvari form, but when it comes to the face/hair I try to minimize the plant aspect (Caithe was actually my inspiration, I went for a male version).

Attachments:

(edited by Dastion.3106)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

In games, we can pursue extremes without significant repercussions, whereas IRL, people tend to be extremely judgmental, even about things that don’t affect them in the slightest. It is easier to make the more imaginative or what we perceive as the non-conformist choice in a game than it is IRL. By creating ethereal nymph-like beauty or the roughest plant features, people feel an illusion of vicarious uniqueness.

Ultimately, though, I think the ‘extreme’ features also have the most life in them, or the most character. With a bland face, you can sit at the creation screen for hours and never feel involved with the character no matter how many times you push/pull a slider, whereas with a strongly designed face, you can feel an immediate connection.

On a side note, then you have the anomaly with dyes whereby if you want gamer status, you “have” to use black or white, so everyone ends up looking the same. So people try to make their characters unique, only to drown it in monochrome…

As far as ideas for hair:

plant pouf

Venus Flytrap mohawk? <—the dual mohawk

BRAIN! <—glowing brain zombie sylvari!

Dragon’s Blood Tree Fro <—even has a lore-ready name!

Aloe Spikes <—picture hair similar to the T3 helm

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: LeahV.5482

LeahV.5482

I seem to recall there being discussion on the Sylvari having seasonal changes – leaves turning colors and/or falling, flowering etc.

Did that get dropped, and can it return?

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Minami Kaori.2548

Minami Kaori.2548

Personally, I would totally buy a remake kit from the gem shop if a long branch hair was available (both for females and males) as hair option. Kind of like the heavy armor T3 cultural helmet, but an actual hairstyle.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: luxymonsteri.1078

luxymonsteri.1078

Oh no this thread is outnumbered by female hair ideas!

I really, really think that male sylvari have a huge lack of long and elegant(?) hairstyles, so I decided to doodle some for fun. :)

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Nicolatte.5360

Nicolatte.5360

There have been trends and themes, but one question makes me curious. I see a lot of folks mentioning what they’d like to see on sylvari, but that’s a different question than what they’d personally like for their own character.

Major disclaimer: no promises, no schedule, etc… But if you were daydreaming about what you personally want for your sylvari, what would it be? :} What would its presence feel like? What style? What materials?

Hi Kristen,

Please let me start by saying your artwork and designs for the Sylvari are fantastic. They are the most beautiful, inspiring race I’ve had the privilege of playing so far in an MMO.

As far as more options for my characters, I would definitely like longer hairstyles indeed. Elegant hairstyles perhaps with flowers peeking out here and there. I think a very fun idea would be to implement hair decorations (as currently none of the Sylvari styles has any that I can recall) in the form of natural pieces. For example, a headband or ponytail holder or barrette (sp?) holding up part of the long hair could be made of (color interchangeable at creation perhaps) ornately, delicately woven branches or vines, even perhaps with tiny glowing berries or gems or pearls accenting it.

Flowers could also be both small, woven in parts of a hairstyle or even a large centerpiece on the side of the head, etc. I think I just want more flowers in general! My two current Sylvari are both female. One is a guardian and has the short leafy hairstyle. It fits her perfectly. My elementalist, though, I find I’m wishing for something more elegant, delicate, long. Something exotic with branches, even perhaps done up in a mock bun of sorts, the leaves of her hair twisted up and held or supported by something, perhaps even a ‘half branch’ type head, with the bottom being branches and the top being leaves held up by it or spilling over.

I apologize if I’m being too specific now. The race is so lovely that I couldn’t help but generate my own ideas as well. TL;DR: More long hair, please!

Also, please forgive me as I was pressed for time and it’s been quite a while since I’ve drawn anything, but here are some doodles from me of female (or unisex) hairstyles I would love to see.

I absolutely love these. If hairstyles such as these were put into place I’d have to make more duplicate classes. lol I already have two mesmers as it is. I have three sylvari so far and they and asura are my two favorite races. I’d love to see more hairstyles. I think as a girl gamer, the sylvari are a breath of fresh air since they’re not ridiculously buxom and seem to often have such curious natures and free spirited independence.

Nicolatte – Ranger, Nicolyte – Elementalist
Henge of Denravi since day 1

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Gillian.1859

Gillian.1859

I’d like to see Sakura (Cherry Blossom) inspired hairstyles or gear.

And what about carnivorous plants inspired looks for the Nightmare Court?

Bored of Hairstyles.

Adelas.6598

I decided to take part in the dream up your own hairstyle. It seems fun.

Great point about the branch heads looking bald, and I like the “warrior ponytail!”

I really, really think that male sylvari have a huge lack of long and elegant(?) hairstyles, so I decided to doodle some for fun.

ZOMG FRECKLES NOM NOM NOM

I also agree with Vick.6805’s points. Also that absolutely we need beards and goatees of moss, leaves, roots, bark… very cool idea.

As far as people wanting Kodan… they are polar bears. You can choose white, cream, or off white, with black, light black, or dark black noses, and brown or black eyes. This being posted in the middle of a thread about how PLANT people can’t be customized enough?!!

(edited by Adelas.6598)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Adelas.6598

I have to admit, one of the things I dislike about them is their animation. They do this really goofy looking thing where they smile and widen their eyes. In my mind, Sylvari are graceful beautiful creatures.

Since the sylvari are newly born, it seems natural to me that they make the child-like, wonder-full faces when looking around.

It sounds as if you subjectively simply don’t find any of the faces attractive; is that your only complaint (the fact that they are childlike, not mature), or is there something else concrete that you don’t like about the faces?

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Evanlysis.5941

Evanlysis.5941

Oh my god, this is my new favourite thread 8D I love seeing all these ideas and sketches on new sylvari hairstyle. And thank you, Ms. Perry, for sharing insight on the sylvari hair designs going on in Anet.

I would like to share some of my artwork myself! Sometimes I just design some unique hairstyles for my characters and pretend they have it in-game. Sorry if they are a bit plain!

More sketches:

http://i.imgur.com/XheEWF9.png

http://i.imgur.com/CfQM7tS.png Nightmare court brambley hair.

http://i.imgur.com/e3fampJ.png curly long hair style

http://i.imgur.com/dt7H6nu.png

http://i.imgur.com/wog2bLE.png

http://i.imgur.com/THIXW.png

http://i.imgur.com/B7Ky7.png

http://i.imgur.com/M0iD9.png

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Jei.3098

Jei.3098

Yees, Islvyn’s work is some of my favorite for potential new hair styles! I would love to see a great many of them done.

I think one of my favorite parts of sylvari is how varied they can be, all so very unique and beautiful. Their design, and the philosophy behind them is really what caught my attention with Guild Wars 2, and why I continue to play- it’s also what gives me a great hope to, when I graduate, try out for the internship program. To be able to work with the individuals who truly created something unique and extremely well thought out. You don’t see many companies putting deep thought into their characters biology, for example. But you definitely see it here with the sylvari.

Such a beautifully well done, and well thought out, race.