A Possible Solution for Most

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

I hope I’m not reiterating a solution someone else may have thought of in a different thread, and I apologize if so.

But I had a thought today, and it seems to fix the issues most have with the new spec.

1. Fixing attunements. The GCD on attunements is onerous given the class design and intent. My solution is not to eliminate the GCD entirely, but only on the attunement you’ve most recently switched to. Ex: you’re in Air/Water, you notice a big attack coming, and you need Obsidian Flesh immediately. You switch to Earth, putting the other three attunements on GCD, but have the option to immediately (as in can double-tap) attune to Earth again to access your #4 and #5 skills. This way, the important defensive skills can always be accessed as normal with just one extra keystroke.

2. Pursuant to the above, Unravel is no longer needed in its current state. I propose that this stance instead becomes a pulsing AoE condi AND boon strip for anyone caught in the pulses (both ally and enemy). Think of it as the Weaver unraveling all local enchantments and hexes in an area around himself, sort of like a mobile anti-magic field. The Weaver has to weigh the value of stripping conditions against also ridding himself and allies of boons. Since that’s a hefty drawback, maybe also make it a stunbreak.

I have a feeling that the above two fixes would sit well for the majority of the playerbase.

The rest of the issues seem to mostly be number tweaking, such as damage on sword, the amount of barrier granted by skills and traits and the range on both the sword itself (130 vs. 300-600 on dagger as an example) and gap closers like Flame Uprising. Assuming ANet actually wants the Weaver to be a “melee bruiser” as they’ve put it, then I think the numbered fixes above will perfectly suit their vision of the class without making it overpowered.

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Ace.9105

The Ace.9105

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Weaver-needs-flow-suggestion/first#post6710657

What i am suggesting is that instead of double tap they could add weapon swap to swap between main hand and offhand attunement and make it so that the first weapon swap after attunement swap doesn’t have cooldown.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aky.2095

Aky.2095

Yes. I’ve heard this idea on multiple occasions now.

The “swap-to-same-attunement-without-cd” idea is definitely is a good one and needs to be implemented to have some basic reactive gameplay that vanilla ele always had.

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

I strongly doubt they will tweak the attunement swapping at this point.

My idea of a band/aid fix is to greatly, greatly improve the barrier numbers to the point that this actually feels like a tanky class, and the twitch 4/5 skills aren’t as critical. Given how low the damage is, there ought to be some inherent survivability built in anyway.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LunasaPrismriver.4321

LunasaPrismriver.4321

What i am suggesting is that instead of double tap they could add weapon swap to swap between main hand and offhand attunement and make it so that the first weapon swap after attunement swap doesn’t have cooldown.

This so much. But we won’t see that change in our lifetime.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Yes you should be able to double-tap and get the full attunement immediately. The way it works now is just a headache.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

The “swap-to-same-attunement-without-cd” idea is definitely is a good one and needs to be implemented to have some basic reactive gameplay that vanilla ele always had.

“Swap to same attunement without cd” is going to make the already strong Elements of Rage ridiculous. Assuming full zerk gear only that’s 10% damage modifier at all times (already on par with Bolt to the Heart) plus 380 ferocity. If the conversion works on attributes gained from various buffs, this can easily get to 500 ferocity. It’s way to strong to have it up permanently.

in Elementalist

Aky.2095

> power build
> strong

Nice joke. Have fun surviving anywhere in PvP/WvW with a zerker/marauder ele when people are running around with permanent 40-50% power damage reduction (food + buffs + auras).

Condi dmg is the meta because it only needs one stat (unlike power, prec, ferocity which are 3), ignores enemy Toughness and allows you take defensive stats as well while maintaining the same damage as a power build.

It is a core design problem of GW2, which is why everyone slowly but steadily realizes condi specs are far superior since they can make you tanky and dps’y (Trailblazer I’m looking at you).

In fact the only barely viable Weaver spec right now is a condi one. And a condi weaver beats a power weaver while eating a sandwich in one hand, it’s that ridiculous.

(edited by Aky.2095)

in Elementalist

Feanor.2358

This game isn’t only pvp/wvw. In fact, it’s mostly PvE. Hence, a “solution” which makes something overpowered bordering on broken in PvE will never make it to live. Regardless of how “working” it seems to be in your own small sandbox.

P.S. Btw, I do run full zerk staff ele in WvW recently. Mostly because I’m too lazy to swap to mara stats. I do die, of course. But most of the time when I do die, so do most of our players. We simply get outplayed or outgunned and we get wiped. It is actually fun to see players on the other team get surprised by the damage output of a full glass ele. You people are spoiled of always fighting against defensive builds.

(edited by Feanor.2358)

in Elementalist

Aky.2095

In GW1 they made certain skills/mechanics different for PvE and PvP, it’s their own fault for not doing that in GW2. But don’t get me started on why GW1 was better in nearly everything gameplay-related…

I’ve also had some fun with staff weaver on glass cannon build but I don’t consider it a serious build for top guilds. Rather a gimmick. Once a single guy decides to take you out, it’s over.

It’s fun for a while, especially at choke points, but then you have an open field fight with no chokes and realize you could have dealt much more damage if you were actually a little tankier and simply survived longer. (WvW perspective, that is)

But I agree that on choke points, making the choke hot with Lava Font, Meteor Shower, Plasma Blast, Pile Driver and the likes is super fun. It’s just that, far from every fight involves choke points, especially on bigger maps.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mogsterfortytwo.6712

Mogsterfortytwo.6712

“Swap to same attunement without cd” is going to make the already strong Elements of Rage ridiculous. Assuming full zerk gear only that’s 10% damage modifier at all times (already on par with Bolt to the Heart) plus 380 ferocity. If the conversion works on attributes gained from various buffs, this can easily get to 500 ferocity. It’s way to strong to have it up permanently.

A few core traits have been altered to not proc on double attunement. EoR could easily be changed to work like those.

in Elementalist

Feanor.2358

A few core traits have been altered to not proc on double attunement. EoR could easily be changed to work like those.

Then how exactly will it work?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

The best solution they can do for Sword Weaver is to balance out the risk-reward playstyle of a pure melee spec which has been asked countless times.

They need to do 4 things:

1. Increase Sword DPS by a huge margin.
2. Increase barrier HP and improve decay timers.
3. Improve gap closer skills.
4. Improve condition cleanses on weaver trait line.

I see a lot of people complaining about the Weaver attunement CDs and not being able to use offhand skills on demand. However, that is the general design of a Weaver and should not be touched. The problem is that the current risks are far greater than the rewards.

DPS and Attunement CD: To simply put it, Elementalists have 20 weapon skills which dealt small~medium damage because these skills should be chained together by dancing through attunements. However, with the current Weaver design you are not able to reliably chain weapon skills due to attunement CD and each specific skill is abysmally weak as well. To justify the Attunement CDs and to compensate the loss of reliable skill chaining, skills should deal more damage than they currently do.

Barrier, Gap Closers, and Condition Cleanse: Sword Weaver is a pure melee spec. As it stands, it’s currently impossible to go toe to toe against condi Necros without going to a bunker build. I think I don’t need to explain further why improving these 3 are essential for build diversity.

Another point I’d like to make is that the Barrier design is absolutely terrible for Weaver. The current formula as per wiki is (Coefficient * Healing Power) + Base Value and it is also capped to 50% of the target’s max HP Link. If weaver is the “DPS spec” for Elementalists, it makes no sense that the formula would include Healing Power and be capped at 50% of maximum HP. This kind of mechanic just pushes weaver into another bunker spec which Elementalists already have through Tempest. I think the current formula is only good for Scourge.

My opinion: I love the general idea for the Weaver design but it is clearly lacking to be a real “DPS” spec. I’m very happy that they put several skills with evade frames. I hope they improve the spec by the time of the expansion’s release.

in Elementalist

Mogsterfortytwo.6712

The existing ones only take note of the first time you enter an attunement; they just ignore the second time you attune (fully attune).

in Elementalist

Feanor.2358

The existing ones only take note of the first time you enter an attunement; they just ignore the second time you attune (fully attune).

So how exactly does a trait which says “10% damage for 8 seconds when you fully attune” work?

in Elementalist

Mogsterfortytwo.6712

So how exactly does a trait which says “10% damage for 8 seconds when you fully attune” work?

Sorry, I think I must have misunderstood your question. I thought you were worried about proccing ‘on swap’ traits twice successively through not having cd on the element you last attuned to (such as how Cleansing Wave now works). Given that Elements of Rage has an 8 second duration, if you switch on the button every 4 seconds (or sooner with Arcane trait reduction), yeah this can be pretty much a permanent 10% damage boost. Even using it tactically you should still be able to blow your big damage skills in 8 seconds easy. Combine it with the otherwise lacklustre Unravel right before swapping to your last element in Weave Self and become awesome for 8 seconds, followed by ‘pretty nifty’ for another two until Perfect Weave runs out. Ah, there’s your burst damage. So, Feanor, I absolutely agree with the madness that change would bring. We have a button to do it once, but any ‘double tap to fully attune’ mechanism needs to accept that once you’re fully attuned, all elements need to go on a massive cool down to stop it happening again (bringing us back to where we are now, more or less), or alternatively give the trait an ICD to avoid abuse. Which would have been a better answer for you two questions ago. Kitten.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lazeris.1725

Lazeris.1725

Another solution would be the spec doing respectable damage as either condi or power…as opposed to right now where neither will give you sufficient damage to justify the complexity of weaver over literally any other class or ele spec

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

I wonder if ANet is going to give us any definition or clarification on the Weaver.

Power or Condi? If it’s a “melee bruiser” the spec is going to need a LOT more self-defense, mobility and damage. And how will they refine the sword to make it better than dagger in close combat?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xunleashed.5271

Xunleashed.5271

The best solution they can do for Sword Weaver is to balance out the risk-reward playstyle of a pure melee spec which has been asked countless times.

I see a lot of people complaining about the Weaver attunement CDs and not being able to use offhand skills on demand. However, that is the general design of a Weaver and should not be touched. The problem is that the current risks are far greater than the rewards.

DPS and Attunement CD: To simply put it, Elementalists have 20 weapon skills which dealt small~medium damage because these skills should be chained together by dancing through attunements. However, with the current Weaver design you are not able to reliably chain weapon skills due to attunement CD and each specific skill is abysmally weak as well. To justify the Attunement CDs and to compensate the loss of reliable skill chaining, skills should deal more damage than they currently do.

Barrier, Gap Closers, and Condition Cleanse: Sword Weaver is a pure melee spec. As it stands, it’s currently impossible to go toe to toe against condi Necros without going to a bunker build. I think I don’t need to explain further why improving these 3 are essential for build diversity.

Another point I’d like to make is that the Barrier design is absolutely terrible for Weaver. The current formula as per wiki is (Coefficient * Healing Power) + Base Value and it is also capped to 50% of the target’s max HP Link. If weaver is the “DPS spec” for Elementalists, it makes no sense that the formula would include Healing Power and be capped at 50% of maximum HP. This kind of mechanic just pushes weaver into another bunker spec which Elementalists already have through Tempest. I think the current formula is only good for Scourge.

My opinion: I love the general idea for the Weaver design but it is clearly lacking to be a real “DPS” spec. I’m very happy that they put several skills with evade frames. I hope they improve the spec by the time of the expansion’s release.

^this

Xunleashed [BT] – Elementalist
WvW Videos Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/XunleashedGW2

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

^this

Agreed, too.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in Elementalist

Posted by: Selendile.9106

Selendile.9106

Barrier scaling with healing power is utterly ridiculous. What’s the point of even giving it to Weaver if they planned to scale it this way?