Arcane Echo from gw1

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: ErazorZ.5209

ErazorZ.5209

Hey guys,

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Arcane_Echo

This is what i wanted to talk about, why is there no such skill to really start focussing on a spec as an ele anymore?

I remember farming mobs in gw1 with this +meteor/meteor shower and nowadays there is literally no skill like it, i understand the damage potential in dungeons with it and why it shouldnt be added.

The thing i wanted to talk about is how can we get this skill back ingame without it being overpowered. It would help versatility and would give the elementalist something to really be versatile at any moment (for example, if in spvp the staff elementalist just switched from water to earth and something that deals allot of damage the potential to switch attunement isnt there and you would just get insta downed by conditions, stuns, spike damage, anything for 10 whopping seconds)

My idea was to add it with a slight variation, instead of straight up copying the skill why cant it copy a stat of the skill? for instance if i cast meteor shower and there is no damage but the combo field for fire does get started with it in the same radius as the skill would be or healing rains condition removal will remain as does the water field but without any actually healing (but capability to blast the water field remains), this would make up for more survivability and more skilled combo plays/teamplays and give the ele a reall boon up if untouched. On the other hand since it has a huge cooldown and it only works with the spell you cast previous to that it also has the potential to be totally useless if you get spiked from behind (example, you want to cast a meteor shower with tornado and suddenly a thief jumps your back, you cant sustain in fire so you quickly switch to water and use something like a healing rain or ur auto-attack skill pops, wich means the thief completely negated the effects of the arcane echo rendering it useless due to you needing to quickly react and make you cast something you dont want ur huge cooldown skills to be on. i feel this would promote the skillgap of the ele even more but also add to the general utility of the class.

Also i feel this skill should ONLY affect weapon skills, otherwise you could abuse it too much in my personal opinion. This would instantly solve the problem with the huge cooldowns the elementalist has and give people who understand the class something to work with. since at this stage i feel the cooldowns of most skills are just way too long wich gives enemies the ability to fully heal up and instantly reset the fight after dodging once or twice.

i understand this is just ‘randomly’ making a skill and posting it on the forums, but me as an old gw1 player would love to see this ‘meta’ ele skill from gw1 back in gw2.
And was thinking on balancing it.

Thoughts?

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

I’ve been thinking about this skill as well.

If Anet brings out new elites, which seems like the logical thing to do after new healing skills, arcane echo could be an awesome arcane elite skill.

My idea for its design was completely different though. To have it fit in more with the other arcane skills I figured it would copy the last arcane you cast, with an extra little effect on top perhaps (like leblanc’s ultimate from LoL). It would then go on twice the cooldown of the echoed arcane spell (otherwise you would only copy the long CD spells).

Gameplay-wise this would be so awesome. Be it an epic barrage of arcanes, double shield, double heals. It would make a full arcane build worth going for.

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

Well this skill would be cool, but wasn’t it Mesmer’s skill to begin with?

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

In PvE it would be great. But in PvP, its gonna be quite screwy with balance. Imagine 2x firegrab. Ouch.

If only we could either gut PvP from GW2 and make into another game or have PvE-only skills….

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

it’d be way too OP :P
imagine dropping 2x meteor shower on a point in pvp? spam 5k crits all over the place!

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Xae Isareth.1364

it’d be way too OP :P
imagine dropping 2x meteor shower on a point in pvp? spam 5k crits all over the place!

If someone actually stays in 2x met showers, they deserve to die lol.

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

It is a mesmer skill, but you could take two classes and thus use this skill on an ele to do something like double meteor shower.

If they did reintroduce this skill, it would surely go to the mesmer instead of the elementalist (although echo is already in the game, it’s just never used).

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

It is a mesmer skill, but you could take two classes and thus use this skill on an ele to do something like double meteor shower.

If they did reintroduce this skill, it would surely go to the mesmer instead of the elementalist (although echo is already in the game, it’s just never used).

Yea, it’s a mesmer skill, but there’s still Glyph of Renewal. Too bad they already used that name for a GW2 skill though.

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

While pretty, this game doesn’t hold a candle to the first game for skill&mechanics design and overall coolness. All the stuff that made GW1 a unique, cerebral game got left out.

downed state is bad for PVP

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Xae Isareth.1364

While pretty, this game doesn’t hold a candle to the first game for skill&mechanics design and overall coolness. All the stuff that made GW1 a unique, cerebral game got left out.

The thing is, they left out all the good stuff, then replaced them with new good stuff. Classes in this game for example, apart from mesmer, guardian and warrior mechanics (which are kind of just extra skills) really makes the classes unique.

I tend to think GW2 has ‘cooler’ skills in terms of being fun to use in a console-esque wow, that’s so kitten-looking, kind of sense. Not in the MMO ‘wow this is an interesting skill’ sense.

they basically made a completely different game. I don;t really understand why they got this great foundation but then laid a whole new one instead of building on it.

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

the difference is, GW1 allowed so much more uniqueness through the player’s choice of elite and secondary profession and how they could interact with the primary class’ class-specific mechanic (they were in GW1 too btw).

This game is a slim shadow of the customisability/uniqueness the previous game had to the point that this game will always feel half-kittened by comparison.

downed state is bad for PVP

Arcane Echo from gw1

in Elementalist

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

This game is a slim shadow of the customisability/uniqueness the previous game had to the point that this game will always feel half-kittened by comparison.

In do not share this opinion filled with nostalgia. This whoping amount of customisability had a cost, namely :
- Newbies using their beginning skills for endgame content (ele spamming flare >_> )
- Balance hell for devs : Having scytes assassins that are balanced compared to dagger assassins (without destroying the dervish) proved complicated.
- The uniqueness you tend to support was present in the game, but not in the way you claim it : in general PvE, you have very few meta builds. A large number of the skills we were given were simply unused. I mean… who takes final thrust when you have sun and moon slash that is much better ? Tell me, when is the last time you used Icy Shackles on a character in PvE ?

However you are right for one thing : the end-game speed clear builds were varied. You cannot speed clear the DoA and the UW using the same brainded strategies and nothing is trivialized in the process. This is the real flaw of GW2 although they made steps in the right direction.

Back on topic : I’m not sure about the concept of arcane echo for GW2. Since we don’t have mana/energy, it will be difficult to implement it without screwing around the balance.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone