Back from a little lay off.... Scepters?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

so ive been gone a few months, real life has claimed my soul. Been playing the past few days on my Thief Ranger and Guard. Noticed a lot of Eles are using scepters now in both PVE and WVW (havent done pvp lately). Last time I played I ONLY saw daggers, with a random staff. What changed? Id love to use a scepter!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

Fresh air happened.
Due to the proc from air 15, this trait boosts your damage by quite a bit (a lot in scepter), so a lot of people switched from scepter to dagger because it feels nice to burst a single target every 5s.
But what very few people saw is that fresh air is actually even better for daggers’ sustained damage

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

in Elementalist

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

What happened is they continuously nerfed the elementalist until it was unplayable garbage. Desperate people are trying out the scepter, staff, and lots of new builds but really nothing works like d/d used to. Class destroyed.

in Elementalist

Zelyhn.8069

Oh yes and also the end of tyria as we know it, because elementalists were nerfed so hard that the elements stopped working at all.
Or maybe ARM is slightly biased

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

But what very few people saw is that fresh air is actually even better for daggers’ sustained damage

as long as developers don’t give us back our mobility, d/d is going to be useful in a very limited number of scenarios.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

i was using a scepter before it was cool, but people found a new build other than the 1 bunker build.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

scepter offers the best might stacking. I’ve been messing around with a lightening hammer build and might stacking with scepter is crucial to get perma fury with 30 fire traits.

Scepter has always been pretty decent. The only weapon that has changed significantly IMO is Focus, since you can’t block trebs with it anymore.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Donut.6914

Donut.6914

What happened is they continuously nerfed the elementalist until it was unplayable garbage. Desperate people are trying out the scepter, staff, and lots of new builds but really nothing works like d/d used to. Class destroyed.

It’s unbelievable to me that so many people genuinely think this. This class if fantastic. I just switched over from Warrior a few weeks ago and I enjoy the game so much more. No classes give me trouble in PvP, and PvE is a joke so I can do whatever I want and still be successful there.

Think about it, Ele’s have been nerfed for like 5 straight months (not arguing with you there) but the class is still incredible! Doesn’t that mean Ele’s were OP and deserved the nerfs?

Most pro PvP teams still take at least 1 Ele, in most cases they take 2. Until that changes you have nothing to worry about, the class is great.

I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. I swung a sword again—-hey hey that’s great!

in Elementalist

Zelyhn.8069

The only thing that has been nerfed since release is the brainless elem 0/10/0/30/30 spe faceroll auto-win.

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

scepter offers the best might stacking. I’ve been messing around with a lightening hammer build and might stacking with scepter is crucial to get perma fury with 30 fire traits.

Scepter has always been pretty decent. The only weapon that has changed significantly IMO is Focus, since you can’t block trebs with it anymore.

Yea Scepter was always a solid choice but it gained a lot of hate there for a long time because people couldn’t reliably land the Dragon’s Tooth → Ring of Fire → Phoenix → Fire Grab combo and so it was “worthless.” The same was more or less true with Staff’s ground based AOE abilities so Dagger was “the” choice for a long time.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Scepters are the flavor of the month it seems (and I’m sure that, at the speed the GW2 metagame moves, it’ll be the flavor of the month for many months). The main reason is they slowed down the classic 0/10/0/30/30 spec by removing stunbreaks from Lightning Flash and Cleansing Fire, as well as nerfing Bountiful Power to only give 1% DPS increase as opposed to 2%.

Given that, the build is still incredibly strong. Blinx posted a build here about it, showing its rather strong position in the current sPvP metagame: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Top-Tier-Ele-PvP-Guide

I think a lot of it has to do with speeding up Phoenix and the changning and adding of a few traits (Persisting Flames for PvE and Fresh Air for PvP). It made people more receptive to the Scepter, and indeed, it’s been an underrated weapon for a long time, so yes, it’s nice to see that it’s finally being used. It’s definitely a viable weapon set and I’d suggest looking for Zoose’s guide to the S/D Ele if you’re curious on how to use it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Don’t forget the changes to aura boons. They halved the boon duration we got from shocking aura and gave frost aura some damage mitigation. Relative buff to s/d and nerf to d/d.

I secretly like that 0/10/0/30/30 d/d has gotten constant nerfs as it limits bandwagoners from just being able to pick up the class and spam random buttons to win. I miss the days when people thought this was a hard class to play. Now at least we’re gaining a reputation as the glassiest cannons but a cannon no less.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

With the fresh air trait many eles became aware of the viability s/d already had since beta. Unfortunately many tried and gave up on the weapon set simply because it is not as easy to play s/d than to play with d/d.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ptolomy.6984

Ptolomy.6984

Exactly, i played scepter since release and when accostomed to it it is as viable as dagger. Only difference is that you have to pull some extra tricks instead off blasting your foes away with aoes:p

in Elementalist

ARM.3912

It’s unbelievable to me that so many people genuinely think this. This class if fantastic. I just switched over from Warrior a few weeks ago and I enjoy the game so much more. No classes give me trouble in PvP, and PvE is a joke so I can do whatever I want and still be successful there.

Think about it, Ele’s have been nerfed for like 5 straight months (not arguing with you there) but the class is still incredible! Doesn’t that mean Ele’s were OP and deserved the nerfs?

Most pro PvP teams still take at least 1 Ele, in most cases they take 2. Until that changes you have nothing to worry about, the class is great.

I would expect exactly this response from the casuals that PvP and PvE attract.
I’m talking about the real game, those fluff parts are not relevant.

in Elementalist

ARM.3912

With the fresh air trait many eles became aware of the viability s/d already had since beta. Unfortunately many tried and gave up on the weapon set simply because it is not as easy to play s/d than to play with d/d.

Yeah hitting 5 buttons really fast from range is tough! There was this one time on my d/d ele when i was immobilized and being hit in melee by 3 warriors and 2 thieves and I was like this is sooo much easier than nuking from far away!

in Elementalist

Posted by: flyingfox.6150

flyingfox.6150

DeSCEPTERcons kittenes.