Condition Staff build?

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hakan.9240

Hakan.9240

Hey guys,

my friend is playing an elementalist and we both just reached Lv 80, so you could say we´re very unexperienced. :)
He definitely wants to play on Condition Damage with a Staff.
We thought about Carrion and Celestian gear or are there any better? And we have no idea about the runes either

It would be awesome if someone could post a build for PvP/WvW/PvE
I know it´s much but if someone has time and wants to help me, i´m thankful :)

(Sorry for my english)

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Simply put – Dont.

Staff is a terrible weapon for anything outside Zergs and big groups. In these situations conditions become a lot weaker due to the AoE condition removals that are easily used.

PvE you don’t want to go conditions. It is “okay” in anything that is just playing around. Trying hard level Factuals and such you want to steer away from conditions.

WvW it can be done. I run Condi ele myself, though i run Dagger/Dagger. I roam and do small group stuff, the odd zerg should i encounter one but i never set out looking for them.

http://youtu.be/V1VSzi5apCo

That is my latest WvW video, though the quality i faced wasn’t that great with most of them either being Condition builds or Bunker builds which was kind of boring. I have other WvW videos against more Power based people.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Staff is a terrible weapon for anything outside Zergs and big groups. .

I disagree with this statement, fire staff builds are proven to have the highest DPS in the game for an ele in PvE, and are actually used by top tournament teams. It has a much higher skill cap than D/D, as does S/x, but Its a little much to say that staff is a terrible weapon outside of “big groups”. You can 1v1 with it if you know what you’re doing, but you do need a good team to peel for you, which is a challenge I do admit.

While I don’t play conditions on any class besides mesmer, and only run power/blanaced builds for ele, I thinks its a neat idea that just doesn’t work on staff. S/x and D/x have a few reliable ways to cause bleed and burn and cover conditions, staff really doesn’t, the burning from staff is only on 1 skill reliably, and earth can barely stack bleeds. Water just gives vuln and chill clunkily, and air just does vuln. I guess if you wanted it to work, you’d need perplexity to profit on the many interrupt skills, but still

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Staff is a terrible weapon for anything outside Zergs and big groups. .

I disagree with this statement, fire staff builds are proven to have the highest DPS in the game for an ele in PvE, and are actually used by top tournament teams. It has a much higher skill cap than D/D, as does S/x, but Its a little much to say that staff is a terrible weapon outside of “big groups”. You can 1v1 with it if you know what you’re doing, but you do need a good team to peel for you, which is a challenge I do admit.

While I don’t play conditions on any class besides mesmer, and only run power/blanaced builds for ele, I thinks its a neat idea that just doesn’t work on staff. S/x and D/x have a few reliable ways to cause bleed and burn and cover conditions, staff really doesn’t, the burning from staff is only on 1 skill reliably, and earth can barely stack bleeds. Water just gives vuln and chill clunkily, and air just does vuln. I guess if you wanted it to work, you’d need perplexity to profit on the many interrupt skills, but still

He is looking for a CONDITION weapon. In zergs it can be VERY strong. In solo/roaming/Small groups it becomes MUCH weaker. That is what i am saying. It might have the “best” DPS in the right situations with the right boons, right traits and everything. That will NOT be the case with a Condition Staff build.

Condition builds CAN work on ele, Staff is just not the weapon to use.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

All Ele condition builds are inferior to power builds.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hakan.9240

Hakan.9240

Thanks for the response

We know that Condi Staff Ele isn´t the best choice. Maybe he will change his mind :)
But does anyone have a standart build for Staff Condi Ele? Especially the kind of armor to use for it, because we want to start farming dungeons for it

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

Since dire gear (condi/toughness/vit) was introduced most condi builds tend to revolve around it. Making yourself tankier to give the conditions time to work your enemy down or make him run away. Rabid/apothecary/carrion or even celestial, just mix things around, look at the stats and see how it works for you, at least that’s how I like to do it.

You can try experimenting and eventually will find out if you like it or not. In my eyes staff attacks are a bit too slow to work out and make their conditions actually hit and rather work more as support type of dmg. Some mightstacking set or like that maybe? I think you won’t go solo roaming with staff, so it will be a support build for your group and you should look in that direction imo. (Don’t misunderstand support=healing, you can help your group in different ways. Also builds often might look good on paper but suck when you actually try them^^)

(edited by Atoss.1056)

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

All Ele condition builds are inferior to power builds.

The last person to say that, i beat in a WvW duel. Ele Condition build is VERY viable for WvW. Maybe not zergs but small groups and solo it is VERY strong with the right set up. Maybe not as much in S/TPvP as mine seems to be more of a bunker build than a condition build (Settlers Amulet)

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

Can you be any more hostile ArmageddonAsh?

I never said that condition builds couldn’t work on ele. In fact I said it was a neat and different idea if you read my entire post.

During the first sentences of my post I was referring to staff in general regardless of builds. Staff can be a very powerful weapon for damage and support in a 5 man group with the right set up and communication, and I didn’t want you to paint a bad picture of the staff as a weapon in general, because players that don’t know better can be easily swayed. I ignored staff for the longest time before I realized how amazing it was in tpvp and in dungeons.

So unless you misunderstood my intentions completley, I really don’t understand why you’re so abrasive. Or maybe your capslock made me think your post was more angry sounding than it actually is.

I

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

How am i at all being hostile? NOTHING i have said has been hostile at all. The fact this topic is about CONDITIONS would make at least some assume he would want CONDITION based information, not power. That is what i was pointing out.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

How am i at all being hostile? NOTHING i have said has been hostile at all. The fact this topic is about CONDITIONS would make at least some assume he would want CONDITION based information, not power. That is what i was pointing out.

Honestly the caps on certain words just make it sound like you’re shouting it as I’m reading it. And you also assumed that I said that condition eles were noviable, which is not what I said. And I also did give him some information on conditions if you actually read my entire post.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Everything you had said had already been said. When its not viable that kind of means that it doesn’t work. Though in my opinion you are wrong. While its not that great for roaming, that goes for staff in general.

It can be pretty decent in groups. Just not as good as D/D which offers more burning, more Bleeding, Chill, Weakness, Cripple, Vul. It just does what Staff can do, just a lot better and with much better defence.

Pretty much the ONLY thing it has going for it over Dagger/Dagger is Magnetic Aura which is hilarious considering Dagger/Dagger has to be in melee 100% of the time and is in MUCH greater need for projectile reflection. The focus has it as well but that overall is a much weaker weapon than Dagger offhand.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

Everything you had said had already been said. When its not viable that kind of means that it doesn’t work. Though in my opinion you are wrong. While its not that great for roaming, that goes for staff in general.

It can be pretty decent in groups. Just not as good as D/D which offers more burning, more Bleeding, Chill, Weakness, Cripple, Vul. It just does what Staff can do, just a lot better and with much better defence.

Pretty much the ONLY thing it has going for it over Dagger/Dagger is Magnetic Aura which is hilarious considering Dagger/Dagger has to be in melee 100% of the time and is in MUCH greater need for projectile reflection. The focus has it as well but that overall is a much weaker weapon than Dagger offhand.

OH MY DWAYNA. I never said that condition ele wasn’t viable. I was just giving the OP an idea of how to make a staff condition build work if he was dead set on it. So stop twisting my words becuase you clearly don’t know how to read them.

Honestly I don’t roam in WvW. I run with a 10-20 man guild group, so when I’m talking about staff in small groups, I mean tpvp, and for that I mean a full GLASS kittenING CANNON zerker build. Hey do I sound really nice now?? NO I DON’T.

Okay, I wanted to be nice, I wanted to be tolerant. If you want to play a condition elementalist build and post wonderful videos about it, fankitteningtastic for you Ash. But please stop pretending to be the king of the condition ele, because you have succeeded in kittening me off by continually saying my advice is bad when you never understood my original post.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I disagree with this statement, fire staff builds are proven to have the highest DPS in the game for an ele in PvE, and are actually used by top tournament teams.

He is talking about a condition build. Thus this doesn’t mean anything. No one is disagreeing that Power staff builds can be very strong, however this talk was about conditions….

It has a much higher skill cap than D/D, as does S/x, but Its a little much to say that staff is a terrible weapon outside of “big groups”. You can 1v1 with it if you know what you’re doing, but you do need a good team to peel for you, which is a challenge I do admit.

I wouldn’t say that it is harder than D/D or other combos. It is more down to the fact that it isn’t made as a roaming weapon. It works great in parties and zergs. In zergs you can just stand at the back, use all the AoE on the main fight and that isn’t requiring that much skill. You can 1 Vs 1 with it, that is right however. Against decent players you won’t win with it. It just isn’t build for roaming.

It’s not that it can’t work. It could be decent. In groups. I myself run staff every now and then in groups depending on the situation. The Burning and Bleeding can be great. If you have a good enough group around you and you are built to be able to take a few hits before dying then it can be okay.

Of course not as good as the other weapon sets. I think that is down to how the other weapon sets have been made with great survivability and mobility. Dagger/Dagger has the better acces to conditions, mobility and healing. A Scepter/Dagger build could work as well. Not a big fan of the Focus myself. The Earth skills are pretty decent but losing Cleansing Wave and Ride The Lightening is the biggest issues the weapon has in my opinion.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dahir.4158

Dahir.4158

Okay, I wanted to be nice, I wanted to be tolerant. If you want to play a condition elementalist build and post wonderful videos about it, fankitteningtastic for you Ash.

He is an apprentice. I am the almighty God.

Broski

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

Okay, I wanted to be nice, I wanted to be tolerant. If you want to play a condition elementalist build and post wonderful videos about it, fankitteningtastic for you Ash. But please stop pretending to be the king of the condition ele, because you have succeeded in kittening me off by continually saying my advice is bad when you never understood my original post.

Been there, done that. There’s a quote about this situation I’ve seen somewhere…

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

Okay I am now calm. And thanks for the moral support Gokil.

Also Ash, thank you for reading my original post. In the first sentence where I disagreed, I disagreed because I wanted to make sure that you weren’t condemning the staff as a whole, which I now see that you weren’t. I still will stand by the fact that staff has a higher skill cap, in part because I’m a member of a very tactical WvW guild that doesn’t just zerg and spam skills. Its all about using your control abilities to disable the enemy, and using them at the right time. Its about providing water fields in the right place for your allies to blast. Theres no standing in the back of a “zerg” at all. In smaller group fights, and 1v1s the higher skill ceiling is more obvious, the control abilities must be used well or you’ll lose for sure. With D/D on any kind of build you have much more breathing room to spam through your skills, but using them wisely is what makes you a good player. Scepter is all about burst and finesse, so I guess I shouldn’t mention it since its not relevant to the apparently very closed and narrow rules of the thread.

Lastly, I’m more of a focus fan. I feel like focus would be a better choice for a condition build. I understand that you want to use ride the lightning to catch up to fleers who could probably just run away from you like most non necro condi builds, but I think swirling winds would be ideal since it shuts down bow rangers and the like.. And doesn’t the flame aura apply burns on hit? Anyway I plan to never experiment myself with this so that doesn’t even matter. Once again, thanks for reading my post, and I “apologize” for mentioning the notion of power staff builds on a condition thread, because apparently thats a huge taboo in the kingdom of the condition elementalist.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Qori.9671

Qori.9671

Staff has some ways of being ok with condi. If you sit in earth , and use stuff like fire signet and + vuln on signet use trait , spamming weakness with earth auto , it makes clearing the burning pretty hard. I think in Spvp I used settlers amulet and played more defensive attrition condi that could heal and diamond skin. not my personal style , but it could work if your dead set on it.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

For staff conditions, he should have gone Mesmer. I have a condition Mesmer and love it.

Elementalists are one of the weaker classes when it comes to conditions, not because they can’t do it, but because other classes can do it so much better. Pretty much every class can pull off berserker, but for the finer-tuned builds like support or conditions, several classes are simply much better than others. Staff Elementalists are capable of tremendous damage, but to be honest they simply aren’t going to be effective with a condition build. With something like a Necro or Mesmer in group your conditions as an Ele are going to be far outshined and you’ll end up hurting your group overall. D/D and S/* on the other hand can absolutely be viable for conditions with some practice.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I personally think the staff on mesmer is a lot of fun, the problem with it, is that when it comes up against Diamond Skin it offers nothing. It has nothing that can break through the 90% mark and even if they have a weapon set that can once they switch to Staff the advantage is lost because you can be back up and past 90% health in seconds

When its condition build Vs condition build. Running your normal thing such as +40% food and such the ele becomes a much bigger threat. No pure condition build will beat ANY ele build with Diamond Skin that is where the strength in it is, especially roaming in WvW kitten many will be either bunker or condition builds.

I think the biggest problem that staff has is not only the lack of conditions but the long cast times of pretty much everything. This makes running Signet of Restoration more of a weakness than a strength. It offers very little mobility as well which is another problem.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: SalaZin.2509

SalaZin.2509

I think condi staff will work actually if you use perplexity runes. In a small group I’m sure it’d do fine. I always roam with my staff, using supporty gear. Running around with 25k hp, 2600 armor, and supporting my party with cc’s, an occasional heals, jus being a complete nuisance ^^ Staff has plenty of interupts and a few damaging condi spells, so it might be worth giving a try.

(\ /) This is bunny.
(=‘.’=) Put him in your signature,
(“) (”) And help him conquer the world!

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I actually had a surprising amount of success using a condition-staff build with Balthazar runes. The burn was pretty significant and I had plenty of cover conditions and ways to apply it to keep from getting constantly cleansed. It was something like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQFAWnMISLDW0A+MAfEG4AQIP93yQBKXNbXA-TJhAwAw2fAwFAYzDAQcZAA

Looks strange, I know, but it worked pretty well. Hardest thing was catching people with Eruption. Evasive Arcana is also a good alternative.

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

I personally think the staff on mesmer is a lot of fun, the problem with it, is that when it comes up against Diamond Skin it offers nothing. It has nothing that can break through the 90% mark and even if they have a weapon set that can once they switch to Staff the advantage is lost because you can be back up and past 90% health in seconds

When its condition build Vs condition build. Running your normal thing such as +40% food and such the ele becomes a much bigger threat. No pure condition build will beat ANY ele build with Diamond Skin that is where the strength in it is, especially roaming in WvW kitten many will be either bunker or condition builds.

I think the biggest problem that staff has is not only the lack of conditions but the long cast times of pretty much everything. This makes running Signet of Restoration more of a weakness than a strength. It offers very little mobility as well which is another problem.

Most good staff ele players don’t use signet of restoration for the reason you specified, we have other options for healing skills you know. The best staff eles go with arcane brilliance to blast their own fire/water/frost/static fields for various effects. As far as mobility goes, burning retreat and high levels of swiftness with air 4 and blasting 5 make it a fair bit more mobile than you imply. Sure it doesn’t have ride the kittenlightning, but it does have plenty of ways to stop enemies from disengaging, such as earth’s imobolize, unsteady/frozen ground, static field and what not. But I guess those are less effective on a condition build, as those don’t give you enough time to to kill someone, where as on a power build it does, so I see your point.

I’m honestly not sure if I’ve ever fought a diamond skin ele when I play condition mesmer. I go mostly rabid and run focus for lockdown-condition, so I think I’d be able to wear past the 90% by using warlocks/wardens and pulling the ele into the attacks with temporal curtain, which also builds might on my mostly rabid build. So I’d have to try it out but I’m not sure if it would be a 100% counter, espcially when mesmer can generally just run away from the ele. On a side note, some hybrid condition roaming mesmers exist running sw/torch and scepter focus/pistol, which of course would stand a good chance.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Condition Staff build?

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Yeah i can see the Geyser and AB combo being pretty solid. Even better if you run the water cool down trait and the arcane cool down trait. In that sort of situation i think running with Elemental Surge would be quite decent. I would also then go with a Runeset that offers conditions on heal to increase the condition load when you heal for those that are in range.

In groups the mobility isn’t that much of an issue. It is when you are separated. It is far too easy to catch and kill an ele in that sort of situation.

If i see a Staff using Mesmer in a condition build i know i will have a high chance of killing them. The damage from them just isn’t good enough to break the 90% mark. It does also depend on the stats and the other weapon set which if using Scepter is pretty much a kill because it has the same issues as the staff does with terrible direct damage.

Yeah i have encountered some. Won some, lost some. It all depends on the stats they run as well as the weapons. Sword is pretty much a must in a Mesmer hybrid build. Scepter and Staff even in hybrid just can’t do the damage to break the 90% mark. Especially when i run more than 2k Toughness and going into Water gives me an instant 2k heal, 1.5k regen as well as Soothing Mists.