Elementalist changes - October 7

in Elementalist

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

I guess the very straight forward “inflict massive damage in a single attack” part escaped your line of sight, right?

in Elementalist

Posted by: gkrit.9416

gkrit.9416

Elementalist damage cannot be justified by how much skill they are required to play. It’s as simple as that.

Whirlpool nerf… LOL!

I highly doubt a powerful skill that can be used every few minutes under water (of which only 4% of my total PVE game time is probably underwater) should be considered broken/overpowered and in need of a nerf.

Can we ask for a Tornado buff now?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

When Elemenetist already had it pretty rough it just gotten worse.
What kills me was the Whirlpool thing and Ele’s have the most hardest friggin
time killing anything underwater.
> Switch Ele
> Goes Guard
> Get’s nerf’d too. QQ
What’s with the useless nerfs? Considering all the bugs and crap we got.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

@Rise
I know your pain. I switched to Guardian as well. Maybe we should both change to the thief/warrior so they are promptly nerfed next?

in Elementalist

Posted by: snsdmarryme.3721

snsdmarryme.3721

Multi facited….versatility…. I am not sure, but I would guess those 2 statements are pretty much the definition of claiming a class to be a support class.

multi-faceted spellcasters . That phrase does not mention anything about support. The adverb versatility in fact applies to all classes in this game because this game claims there is no the holy trinity concept. The word versatility does not relate to the word support.

(edited by snsdmarryme.3721)

in Elementalist

Posted by: etherfreeze.6834

etherfreeze.6834

I guess the very straight forward “inflict massive damage in a single attack” part escaped your line of sight, right?

That’s not worth mentioning as it is a straight up lie.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

… and still no official statement from Anet…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

Aether McLoud

… and still no official statement from Anet…

What do you want they say?
They just used the machete. “Warriors are where we want them (top played class of all, top easy mode to the point of being boring and single dimensional)”.
“Elementalists due to the huge pre-release advertisment are also numerous: we will destroy them till they become the tiny minority we want them to be”.

I would not be surprised at all if the lead class designer only sticked post on Elementalists forum was:

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

Elementalist:
Whirlpool: This skill’s damage has been decreased by 33%.

Rofl, way to break the finally working skill right in turn. The damage is mediocre at best now, and you cannot do any of these things while it is in effect:
-run
-stop runners
-use any of your skills

and on top of that you’re slow. So basically your opponent just has to get some distance and you’re a free badge.

Why don’t you just put an empty skill slot there saying “not for elementalists”, dear ArenaNet devs. :-p

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: boozer.7815

boozer.7815

That’s not worth mentioning as it is a straight up lie.

The problem is that statement is too general to be useful. There is obviously a lot of angst in the Ele community about this class and Anet. I think while there is a lot of truth behind the communities anger and the part that Anet plays in that, most of it is non constructive. So what is needed here is hard numbers. Data. Lets start with the “massive damage in a single attack” statement put out by Anet to advertise this class. This is the statement that has lured many people into investing their valuable time and efforts into playing it. Lets get some hard evidence to back up the sentiment. If you cant prove it with data, then it aint true.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

@Above: hard data: log in and play 10 minutes, after having played ANY caster in ANY other game.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

My ability to quote has gone again

What an awful update. Not only are some of them very silly changes (GoR??) I don’t understand why these things took precedence over other currently bugged skills. Seems like these were done spur of the moment, whereas I’m sure we’ve been told that skills are ‘watched before we buff/nerf’. If anyone was watching GoR, then perhaps the most obvious thing was that was still buggy in certain attunements. . Now it’s just useless.

Whirlpool, I think the damage was justified by the fact that you literally couldn’t do anything else. If you could use utilities, move fast or deflect projectiles, then I can imagine a nerf would be in order. I don’t think nerfing the base damage of this skill was the right kind of approach though, because it really does put you in a vulnerable position. You’re slow, can’t heal… so if you use this skill incorrectly you’re erm kittening yourself over. For the damage, it ‘was’ an elite skill after all and it’s not like eles were dominating underwater otherwise.

I’m curious as to if we’ll be receiving any updates on our awful traits. If anyone is watching the game, then they may notice the comparative awfulness of our traits compared to other professions. Of course, I can only assume this will take the form of a nerf to flame barrier.

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

in Elementalist

boozer.7815

Whirlpool, I think the damage was justified by the fact that you literally couldn’t do anything else. If you could use utilities, move fast or deflect projectiles, then I can imagine a nerf would be in order. I don’t think nerfing the base damage of this skill was the right kind of approach though, because it really does put you in a vulnerable position. You’re slow, can’t heal… so if you use this skill incorrectly you’re erm kittening yourself over. For the damage, it ‘was’ an elite skill after all and it’s not like eles were dominating underwater otherwise.

That is just not true. I used to AoE for 2500+ per target every few seconds. There are video’s out of Ele’s soloing the sharks in one of the sPvP scenario’s, and I have done it as well. It was more than obviously OP and did need a damage reduction or an increase on the damage timers. It should now do ~1675 per tick. Not exactly sub par damage there on an AoE ability.

As far as our other UW skills, try Water and Fire skills. The damage is pretty good and you get some decent CC as well. The damage is decent too if you have a good Trident and Aqua.

(edited by boozer.7815)

in Elementalist

Posted by: elchulo.3148

elchulo.3148

As I’ve said before, the silence from Anet is deafening. For some reason they believe melee classes should be much more powerful than casters minus the OP godmode mesmer. Why is our damage so poor in spvp? Why is our base health so much lower than necros and mesmers? Why aren’t we given anything substantial (like huge damage) to compensate for this?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Again lost my ability to quote

@boozer that’s fair enough. Admittedly I know very little about sPvP

In PvE at least, the skill felt appropriate. A very powerful skill to cut through underwater mobs (which sometimes seem to be stupidly densely packed), but used inappropriately you’d be completely slaughtered. The cooldown and the complete loss of utility in PvE was enough to balance I think. It’s an elite skill. At least in my opinion.

Also to clarify (at least from my PvE experience), I actually like the trident skills, and think it’s one of the best and probably the most diverse weapon the ele has. Underwater combat certainly isn’t bad, but then again I’ve only just hit level 70. Not sure if this will continue into level 80 areas…

Otherwise yes, fair points from you.

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

in Elementalist

elchulo.3148

Just wait for the next updates. The ONLY changes in the works for eles that I’ve seen a comment on from Anet are upcoming nerfs to tanky ele builds. So the only viable build we currently have is next to go.

in Elementalist

boozer.7815

Just wait for the next updates. The ONLY changes in the works for eles that I’ve seen a comment on from Anet are upcoming nerfs to tanky ele builds. So the only viable build we currently have is next to go.

Where are you getting this, “the only viable build” stuff from? Ele’s have at least 4 completely viable builds just off the top, and there are more.

in Elementalist

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

They haven’t said they will nerf it they’ve just said they are looking at the build. They’ve also made comments implying they are looking at improving dagger main hand abilities.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Elementalist

elchulo.3148

Where are you getting this, “the only viable build” stuff from? Ele’s have at least 4 completely viable builds just off the top, and there are more.

Sorry, the only viable build for spvp.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scarface.5203

Scarface.5203

We all know what is takes. Bug fixes and cooldowns. I dont care about the raw damage, its they fix this we will be strong.

Some people are annoying here. Its like everything is perfect. They are proud.

Fix bugs, tune casts, we are happy.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheWarKeeper.5374

TheWarKeeper.5374

In the meanwhile, if anyone trully likes AOE damage and realises this class is just ridiculously horrid, in pretty much every single concept apart from healing, should try a full grenadier build on engineer, now thats what i call aoe with full berserker gear u can easelly reach 3k damage+ per “auto attack” and best of all, its aoe, all grenadier skills are aoe, they poison properly, they slow down people properly, they bleed ok too and the F1-4 ability for the grenadier can easelly surpass 5k damage with no mediocre casting time ever get into your way and with the proper traitlines, never see any skill come close to 30 seconds recharge time. There is your elementalist right there! an ele tried to get smart and ninja aoe on me, as soon as ive noticed that obvious lava font i just dodged near him and started to nuke the crap out of him, needless to say he was dead in 4 seconds.

Eles are only acceptable at pve and if they are not underwater, anything aoe eles cast is no match for any player with brains, save perhaps the phoenix.

Also, i do not understand how people say staff is a viable weapon in pvp by nuking people who are concentrated in another fight, are you serious? in what world is that viable, nobody that actually gives a dam about spvp will ever camp in ur aoes, its just not going to happen in any serious fight, maybe just for the lol to test the guys damage, other than that i have no clue how that will ever happen, its huge, its loud, its there and u can notice it from every angle unless ure looking directly at the sky.

(edited by TheWarKeeper.5374)

in Elementalist

Posted by: gkrit.9416

gkrit.9416

( *. *)

What Im gathering overall… ele’s just dont compare.

Other classes can do everything an ele can and much better.

But im willing to wait till next patch…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blimm.5028

Blimm.5028

It seems the thing i loved in the betas about GW2 combat is being taken away.
Back then Mesmers could kill easily, Eles i believe hat stuff like 20k crits (i might just mess this one up but they DID deal at least twice the damage they deal now) it seems a-net htinks some people cant cope with fast paced combat and so they one by one nerf the speed out of pvp…
Those nerfs arent focussed at PvE or WvWvW I think. Its all about pvp.
Why else would they have nerfed the allready nearly weakest PvE Profession (Mesmer) down even further and make elites useless (I remember when in the betas people started yelling at eachother to get the —-— out of there when an elementalist pulled his tornado. Right now we dont even bother to disable him or get out of the way…

Think With Portals [TWP]: 4th of 16 at Guildnews.de cup
Liane Frostfire – Elementalist [TWP] Ilona Frostfire – Mesmer [TWP]
Enya Frostfire – Mesmer [OMFG]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Burrid.4739

Burrid.4739

Argh, I’ve justed logged in with my elementalist and why does staff skill number 5 static field has such a long cast time! It used to be instant, I certainly can’t remember the cast time being that long. Same with windborne speed (n4). Pff this wasn’t even mentioned in the list of nerfs..

(edited by Burrid.4739)