Elementalist needs a dedicated developer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Sometimes I question the logic behind some balance decisions. For example what they did with the cooldown nerf.

Let’s say that Elementalist DPS in PVE is a problem, because mobs will stay in the AOEs and never move. Let’s agree that Lava Font was doing too much damage, again in PVE.

The sensible solution would be to lower the DPS of Lava Font, increase the CD of Lava Font, reduce the duration etc Reducing cooldowns of other Fire skills like Meteor Shower was another option for nerfing Elementalist DPS in PVE.

But what did they do? They essentially nerfed every single cooldown. Was the Elementalist problematic in other Attunements? No. Why did they have to nerf everything instead of just what was problematic?

Actually they did increase the lava font cooldown. Generally this is a bad change mainly bc there are specific rotations made for Ele that are more complicated than simply pressing 1 and occasionally 2 as with other classes. Increasing the cooldown is a terrible way to nerf Elementalist DPS in PvE compared to simply adjusting the numbers on staff and leaving everything else alone. They nerfed every cooldown because they thought nerfing cooldowns was a legitimate way to nerf the class which relies on skills 2-5 instead of skill 1 like other classes. Problem is…most ele 1 skills actually really suck besides Fire auto on staff and lightning whip on dagger.

In my opinion they didn’t even need to touch Air Overload but they did.

in Elementalist

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

There is something more to say : Personal Bias

It is rather obvious, the devs are humans and like everybody else they will develop a personal bias, a like and dislike of certain elements in the game.

Do pls read this article:
http://blog.weflyspitfires.com/2010/06/08/how-do-developers-determine-class-balance/

You all must realize that balance in a game can end up being a little too opinionated , that leaves room for biased balance decisions

The devs themselves can’t really help it, most of the process happens subconsciously : some professions that should receive a major nerf looking at the data alone..end up receiving a minor slap on the wrist that in the dev mind should be enough, ofc the opposite happens also.

Am I just being paranoid?…hardly I tend to believe

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3meihg/roy_cronacher_on_twitter_wait_until_you_see_what/

The guy in the video was in charge of druid and scrapper development..coincidence?
Roy was in charge of herald development…again coincidence?

I think your absolutely right, and that’s why having experts in each class being involved in balancing decisions is very important. Ultimately its a decision by an ‘expert’ or its a group decision – which needs an expert to explain the impact of changes. To me that’s what this thread is really about – experts should be involved at the heart of these decisions. A PVP team member making a change because that’s the only thing they can change is the opposite to this, that’s hacking and hoping for the best.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in Elementalist

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

There is something more to say : Personal Bias

It is rather obvious, the devs are humans and like everybody else they will develop a personal bias, a like and dislike of certain elements in the game.

Do pls read this article:
http://blog.weflyspitfires.com/2010/06/08/how-do-developers-determine-class-balance/

You all must realize that balance in a game can end up being a little too opinionated , that leaves room for biased balance decisions

The devs themselves can’t really help it, most of the process happens subconsciously : some professions that should receive a major nerf looking at the data alone..end up receiving a minor slap on the wrist that in the dev mind should be enough, ofc the opposite happens also.

Am I just being paranoid?…hardly I tend to believe

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3meihg/roy_cronacher_on_twitter_wait_until_you_see_what/

The guy in the video was in charge of druid and scrapper development..coincidence?
Roy was in charge of herald development…again coincidence?

I remember that, I remember calling him unprofessional concerning the way he thinks elementalist should be balanced and of course I stopped watching their streams because of him. The point you make about how Druid (fine) and Herald (also very good) are still ok is very interesting. Scrapper is also an interesting point bc it works very very well in PvP modes and just isn’t suited for PvE if you have a chrono for quickness.

This is why I make the point that we need a developer who will be an advocate and understand exactly how ele works rather than letting our current Dev Karl just confer to the rest of the group’s opinion on how it should be balanced without actually understanding the class.

Say what you will about Roy, I don’t like the guy. But assuming he understands the classes you point out, almost all of them have recieved appropriate balance in small doses that aren’t even a big deal in most cases. Scrapper again being the outlier but Engi suffers from the same issues as ele where you can’t just balance around 1 skill you need to understand all the little tricks you can do with the class.

That said, if we were strictly to take the PvP mode and determine balance, scrapper and Rev should’ve been hard nerfed as well. Instead they just deleted the elementalist profession from the mode lol.

(edited by Senario.2038)