Elementalists seem pretty broken to me

in Elementalist

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Did you read all of my comments or just pick the one in attempt to make a pointless argument that contributes nothing to this thread?

Applied satire is by no means an argument in and of itself. Did you even think before making said pointless comment in the first place? That’s the real question.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in Elementalist

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

Can we please stop with the hyperbole? This happens literally every patch that changes game mechanics. Elementalist is doomed! Anet is out of touch and doesn’t understand! My cat will now smell like a dog!

Look at why they’re doing things and just don’t flip out over nerfs when we don’t even know the final balance of anything. This is a more blue sky design preview, not a nails and tacks one. Look at the overall picture and not just the “nerfs” (fun fact, there were lots of buffs too).

It is literally in every class’ thread. Every single community thinks everyone is getting the best deal but them. Our society loves to play victims.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

Can we please stop with the hyperbole? This happens literally every patch that changes game mechanics. Elementalist is doomed! Anet is out of touch and doesn’t understand! My cat will now smell like a dog!

Look at why they’re doing things and just don’t flip out over nerfs when we don’t even know the final balance of anything. This is a more blue sky design preview, not a nails and tacks one. Look at the overall picture and not just the “nerfs” (fun fact, there were lots of buffs too).

It is literally in every class’ thread. Every single community thinks everyone is getting the best deal but them. Our society loves to play victims.

Lol that every single class is complaining doesn’t mean they actually have good reasoning behind it. 00666 gonna provide a solution for d/d pvp/roam ele’s but for other aspects of the game/weaponsets there’s not a single reason why this could be a buff.

Can’t tell that much about ele’s being broken in pvp, haven’t got the exp in there to judge. For roam in WvW i’d say they are a very balanced class, providing both surviveability and dmge, but definitely not OP compared to other classes (thief+mesmer+war etc) for WvW zerging ele offers a very nice aoe burst+combo fields, however retal definitely makes sure that you can’t just keep popping all your aoe’s all the time. Also to maximize dmge the ele needs to be build very squishy making it easier to counter as enemy. Ele is and should always be the master of aoe it’s just the very basic of elementalist imo. Because AOE is so important in wvw that’s exactly the reason why GWEN is the meta (no other classes provide heavy bombs apart from ele+necro).
for pve i’d say risk v reward is something to take into account, 99.9% of the players aren’t playing 100% perfect all the time, take the deaths into account in your dps calculations and ele’s should be in a good (but not OP) spot.

I don’t mind reducing the dmge of the ele a lillbit, but then atleast give us the same threat that all other professions (have higher healthpool+armor)

Tbh i feel like there still needs to be done alot of work around balancing professions. Ele is the best balanced profession atm since you can pick multiple roles (support+dmge+control) and finetune your dps/surviveability ratio.

Best balance doesn’t mean OP Anet :‘( no need to punish the whole class for something that is obviously only targetted on the sPvP aspect of the game (as always) :’(

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

in Elementalist

Posted by: Michal.4513

Michal.4513

Eles is broken only in PvE and no near balance. The Icebow and AOE AFK Hitboxes. Place AOE frome 600y go afk and you will do 80k dmg in few seconds… while you stack fury/might and swiftness, Give good AoE blind, provide Deep frost and Ice Bow etc etc. If you compare other profesion they either have dmg or support, or at leas balance dmg with support. There is no other “such balanced” profession that can provide so much dmg/support to table at once.

in Elementalist

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Eles is broken only in PvE and no near balance. The Icebow and AOE AFK Hitboxes. Place AOE frome 600y go afk and you will do 80k dmg in few seconds… while you stack fury/might and swiftness, Give good AoE blind, provide Deep frost and Ice Bow etc etc. If you compare other profesion they either have dmg or support, or at leas balance dmg with support. There is no other “such balanced” profession that can provide so much dmg/support to table at once.

And it’s going to be even more broken because staff ele which is the most broken ele gets buffs while other builds are getting nerfed.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Did you read all of my comments or just pick the one in attempt to make a pointless argument that contributes nothing to this thread?

Applied satire is by no means an argument in and of itself. Did you even think before making said pointless comment in the first place? That’s the real question.

You have no real comments or counter-arguments and are here to argue for the sake of arguing. Noted.

Moving on to the real discussion, alot seem to be concerned about possible nerfs now. Haven’t studied the Ele’s updates too much yet but are you guys sure it’s going to be all doom and gloom? Alot of Engi’s seem to be feeling the same way but many of us also see that this is actually going to open us up to some really great builds and buff some that already exist.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Elementalist

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

All i will say is Fresh Air

Enjoy your “Not Broken” profession

PVP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRuuRc7AFXQ
WVW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZauXcGdhpg

(For a 3 years game: this is a insult to Guild Wars 2 Alpha Testing and Guild Wars 2 Beta Testing)

I have a question: will Arena net take action against this profession or will continue ignore this broken profession for more years in the next profession/trait balance update?

Pride: there are no Elementalists seem pretty broken, Elementalists Are Broken.

Speak the truth by all means; be bold and fearless in your rebuke of error, and in your keener rebuke of wrongdoing

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

(For a 3 years game: this is a insult to Guild Wars 2 Alpha Testing and Guild Wars 2 Beta Testing)

I have a question: will Arena net take action against this profession or will continue ignore this broken profession for more years in the next profession/trait balance update?

Speak the truth by all means; be bold and fearless in your rebuke of error, and in your keener rebuke of wrongdoing

Fresh Air wasn’t in the original release and was added in the first iteration of the Sky Pirates.

Before you QQ about a class being OP, learn what the class can and cannot do. Most other classes can match the damage of what is in these videos with less skill usage and not requiring timing on attunement swapping nor leaving itself vulnerable because it used ALL of it’s cards on initial burst. Also good on you for putting videos that are old, predating the nerfs that Fresh Air itself received in damage reduction and internal cooldown. It’s like the old “thief is OP” arguments there were before culling was removed. They weren’t OP if you learned to dodge and didn’t have a bug giving them extra time in stealth.

Elementalist burst is relatively the same. Learn to react in time, dodge the air burst bait the RTL/Lightning flash and then proceed to kill said very squishy elementalist who cannot go anywhere.

Poorly thought argument is poor with poor evidence.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

Fresh Air wasn’t in the original release and was added in the first iteration of the Sky Pirates.

Before you QQ about a class being OP, learn what the class can and cannot do. Most other classes can match the damage of what is in these videos with less skill usage and not requiring timing on attunement swapping nor leaving itself vulnerable because it used ALL of it’s cards on initial burst. Also good on you for putting videos that are old, predating the nerfs that Fresh Air itself received in damage reduction and internal cooldown. It’s like the old “thief is OP” arguments there were before culling was removed. They weren’t OP if you learned to dodge and didn’t have a bug giving them extra time in stealth.

Elementalist burst is relatively the same. Learn to react in time, dodge the air burst bait the RTL/Lightning flash and then proceed to kill said very squishy elementalist who cannot go anywhere.

Poorly thought argument is poor with poor evidence.

Fresh Air isn’t OP, it is just very effective against certain classes because Focus brings reflects and invuls, and blinds vs melee. It is a very strong spec, and Fresh Air isn’t broken.

People are constantly mistaking an Excellent powerful spec that is effective, with overpowered. Just because something works well it doesn’t make it overpowered, it means other specs should be looked at so they can inspire a similar kind of cohesiveness.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

the krytan assassin.9235

Phoenix is OP can’t argue with that. but apart from phoenix, fresh air ele is nowhere near OP, thief can do exactly the same xcept for the fact that thief DOES have surviveability with stealths etc where fresh air ele doesn’t. Making video’s about popping all your cooldowns and ambushing people doesn’t show any sign of skill. Look for 1v1 fresh air ele’s and you’ll notice that the build definitely isn’t OP.

Youtube vids offer an unrealistic view of the class, alot of vids only show fights against weak opponents/full zerk who simply get 1 shotted by any full zerk proffession

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

Youtube vids offer an unrealistic view of the class, alot of vids only show fights against weak opponents/full zerk who simply get 1 shotted by any full zerk proffession

+100

Remember almost all the videos by youtubers are montage highlight reels showing off the best fights. It’s for entertainment purposes. they don’t edit in the constant deaths, mistakes and counters to any spec they run in WvW (unless for specifically showing off a weakness or such) because that would make for poor entertainment and reputation.

My friend told me of a youtuber who offered to pay people on his server so they would let him beat them and record it for youtube.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

DarkSyze.8627

+100

Remember almost all the videos by youtubers are montage highlight reels showing off the best fights. It’s for entertainment purposes. they don’t edit in the constant deaths, mistakes and counters to any spec they run in WvW (unless for specifically showing off a weakness or such) because that would make for poor entertainment and reputation.

My friend told me of a youtuber who offered to pay people on his server so they would let him beat them and record it for youtube.

“YouTube now operates as one of Google’s subsidiaries.5 The site allows users to upload, view, and share videos, and it makes use of Adobe Flash Video and HTML5 technology to display a wide variety of user-generated and corporate media video. Available content includes video clips, TV clips, music videos, and other content such as video blogging, short original videos, and educational videos”.

Guild Wars 2 players use youtube for education purpose and entertainment purpose.

So what is the problem with players “showing-off” the best fights on youtube? So what if they edit mistakes? Let me ask you something: if you were doing a presentation for school or for business: would you not edit your mistakes? would you not show-off your best talent/skills?

It do not make sense for you to target those players and put them down for presenting the game for what it is on youtube.

All Guild Wars 2 player videos are real: not fake except for exploits, botters and hackers videos. The videos i present to you from players are not fake, exploits, botters or hackers: they are real. You can ask Arena net to check them if you want to see that if they are if you want more evidence.

Sure! there are some players use abuse youtube videos for bad purpose but there are some players who use youtube for good purpose also. Good Purpose to demonstrate the problem with the game, profession, bugs and even explots so in return: if Arena net want too, will take action and fix them.

I am using these players videos to present Elementalist from their presentation of the Elementalist profession. And Yes!, their demonstration is real. And Yes! their demonstration show evidence of the Elementalist profession is broken.

Here is a no-video evidence and a no-edit thread of Elementalist Profession being OP: Yes! it is 3 years old. Do you see any difference? Do you see any similarity? Is the Op “showing-off” or “making up” evidence? In the end: was the OP telling the truth? or was the Op not telling the truth? They call the Op a troll and other names and make fun of the Op: is the Op a troll and the other names?

read-

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Elementalist-op-or-not-Discuss/first

but I felt like the problem is not related to one particular build. Eles are the only profession that can be tanky, deliever lots of damage, mobile, have lots of cc and can be invulnerable”.

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them

Ankur

in Elementalist

the krytan assassin.9235

+100

“YouTube now operates as one of Google’s subsidiaries.5 The site allows users to upload, view, and share videos, and it makes use of Adobe Flash Video and HTML5 technology to display a wide variety of user-generated and corporate media video. Available content includes video clips, TV clips, music videos, and other content such as video blogging, short original videos, and educational videos”.

Guild Wars 2 players use youtube for education purpose and entertainment purpose.

So what is the problem with players “showing-off” the best fights on youtube? So what if they edit mistakes? Let me ask you something: if you were doing a presentation for school or for business: would you not edit your mistakes? would you not show-off your best talent/skills?

It do not make sense for you to target those players and put them down for presenting the game for what it is on youtube.

All Guild Wars 2 player videos are real: not fake except for exploits, botters and hackers videos. The videos i present to you from players are not fake, exploits, botters or hackers: they are real. You can ask Arena net to check them if you want to see that if they are if you want more evidence.

Sure! there are some players use abuse youtube videos for bad purpose but there are some players who use youtube for good purpose also. Good Purpose to demonstrate the problem with the game, profession, bugs and even explots so in return: if Arena net want too, will take action and fix them.

I am using these players videos to present Elementalist from their presentation of the Elementalist profession. And Yes!, their demonstration is real. And Yes! their demonstration show evidence of the Elementalist profession is broken.

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them

Lol just read your essay, looks like your totally missing the point. Doing a spike combo on upscaled/people not paying attention/low skilled players DOES NOT require skill. Good players can counter those spikes pretty easily. Want me to start youtubing and look for full zerk thieves? you’ll find exactly the same kind of bursts. But well if you don’t believe it’s balanced just go play ele and find out yourself :p

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

Phoenix is OP can’t argue with that. but apart from phoenix, fresh air ele is nowhere near OP, thief can do exactly the same xcept for the fact that thief DOES have surviveability with stealths etc where fresh air ele doesn’t. Making video’s about popping all your cooldowns and ambushing people doesn’t show any sign of skill. Look for 1v1 fresh air ele’s and you’ll notice that the build definitely isn’t OP.

Phoenix is NOT OP, it’s a strong ability. To even do the great damage it can do you require it to hit all 3 times and crit all 3 times.

People do not understand what OP means anymore. A strong spec that can do what it does well but is counterable is NOT OP. It’s only OP if it is uncounterable, unkillable or unavoidable which all the burst of a Fresh Air elementalist is. The only thing that cna be said that is extremely difficult to avoid is the lightning strike from on attune swap and the lightning strike from air 2 on scepter as it’s instant damage, hence it was lowered over time and nerfed.

And the argument that showing the best highlights means that the class is OP is stupid. That argument can be made for EVERY single class as all of them have videos highlighting good payers offloading all cooldowns and destroying upleveled/unsuspecting/new people.

1 shot compilations:
Thief (2 hits) – https://youtu.be/aX1O1V-M-hw?t=19s
Mesmer (takes setup) – https://youtu.be/nL9mN67DwmU?t=2m31s
Guardian – https://youtu.be/AKMRPKIzsUY?t=1m16s
Guardian from a Thief PoV – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfwB3Q0CUwY
Ranger – https://youtu.be/CD2lWJpsgUo?t=1m45s
Engineer (whole kitten video) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXAliTpRwk
Warrior – https://youtu.be/gfkgpUXVtWY?t=57s

Only one I couldn’t find quickly was Necromancer. You cannot use an outdated video to “prove” anything because if that’s the case, they’re ALL overpowered.

Nerfs received to damage over time:

• Arcane skill damage was lowered
  • Lightning Strike from swap damage reduced
  • Lightning Strike on Speter Air 2 damage reduced
  • Cannot swap weapons with bloodlust sigils on them and keep the stacks
  • Might stacking effectiveness lowered
  • Phoenix Travel time decreased (after a significant increase)
  • Arcane Wave becomes a ground targeted ability
  • Lightning Flash damage reduced
  • Fire Grab damage reduced (not 100% sure about that one)

All these old videos are showing abilities pre-nerf and therefore cannot be used in a balancing discussion.

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

+100

Here is a no-video evidence and a no-edit thread of Elementalist Profession being OP: Yes! it is 3 years old. Do you see any difference? Do you see any similarity? Is the Op “showing-off” or “making up” evidence? In the end: was the OP telling the truth? or was the Op not telling the truth? They call the Op a troll and other names and make fun of the Op: is the Op a troll and the other names?

read-

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Elementalist-op-or-not-Discuss/first

but I felt like the problem is not related to one particular build. Eles are the only profession that can be tanky, deliever lots of damage, mobile, have lots of cc and can be invulnerable”.

No, I don’t feel the need to. A lot of players are just as skilled if not more, but not all of us want to put the effort into making videos, so no not everyone wants to show off their talents. I don’t even know why you make this assumption.

You are completely missing the point. No one is putting said youtubers down, said youtubers couldn’t care less. The point is, you shouldn’t use videos posted for entertainment purposes as educational sources of information.

The videos they DO post for such information and education often feature them dying to show you what they failed at doing and HOW their spec can be countered so you learn from it.

Youtubers are human beings like us. We’re not infallible.

On the subject of the thread you posted, I hope you know I got shouted down by the Elementalist forums in a flurry of QQ after advocating a heavy nerf when D/D Ele was really ridiculous. The period they stacked boon duration, monk and water runes and could solo groups of players with relative ease after learning to rotate. I am not just some biased Ele player, I am someone who thought a while back that they needed a nerf, and now because I am objective enough to say, I also advocate that Fresh Air is not OP, and that you’re overreacting.

@Raif

Hear, hear.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

(edited by PistolWhip.2697)

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

On the subject of the thread you posted, I hope you know I got shouted down by the Elementalist forums in a flurry of QQ after advocating a heavy nerf when D/D Ele was really ridiculous. The period they stacked boon duration, monk and water runes and could solo groups of players with relative ease after learning to rotate. I am not just some biased Ele player, I am someone who thought a while back that they needed a nerf, and now because I am objective enough to say, I also advocate that Fresh Air is not OP, and that you’re overreacting.

@Raif

Hear, hear.

Eh.. I wouldnt say they could solo large groups back then in the days of 0/10/0/30/30 with boon duration and RTL@1550 w/15sec cooldown. They could definitely troll a group, but they weren’t killing anyone unless they were very very bad or had no idea what they were up against. Even Dapheonix in his videos barely killed people unless it was like a 1v2. It was a tanky build with great damage and good recovery which was a hard counter to many glass cannons as it could survive the burst and dish out retaliatory damage while being very mobile. At the time, it was a build outside of the meta since there wasn’t anything else like it at that time. If it was here in this meta would fit right in.

And I was using that build before he made it that famous and was the one to tell him to go knights over clerics. Though it did need toning down, even then. Just not in the way they did it.

But we’re in agreement mainly XD

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

Fair, I won’t agree or disagree. It is so far in the past, chances are I don’t even agree with some parts of my post from years back.

I know Daphoenix didn’t come up with it first, but he popularized it. That is usually the case in builds or life to be honest. People get an idea from other people’s ideas and the ones we remember are the ones who give it spotlight not the creators which aren’t always the same person :P.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chris.5720

Chris.5720

Seems like somebody never has played warrior…even on full zerk they are way tankier than us eles and guess what, their damage is being buffed even more. Landing 100b on full zerker does equally as much if not more damage than fresh air. If your opponent dodges you are basically screwed on freshair as you used all your c/d and you are completely vulnerable.

All in all, these changes are basically screwing most ele specs while so many other burst specs on other classes are buffed even further and as if that wasn’t already bad enough, no more evasive arcana and elemental attunement.. sadface

in Elementalist

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The ele nerfs are justified. The only fault in them is they hurt less potent builds more and do not effect over the top builds like PvE staff ele.

From a PvE perspective D/F and LH need buffs to compete with staff yet they are being nerfed. And staff needs a nerf because its too strong and too easy. But the opposite is happening.

Overall the class could recieve way more nerfs and still be ahead of the other classes.

in Elementalist

Chris.5720

The ele nerfs are justified. The only fault in them is they hurt less potent builds more and do not effect over the top builds like PvE staff ele.

From a PvE perspective D/F and LH need buffs to compete with staff yet they are being nerfed. And staff needs a nerf because its too strong and too easy. But the opposite is happening.

Overall the class could recieve way more nerfs and still be ahead of the other classes.

That may be the case from the PvE side but on the WvW/PvP side of things nerfing staff which is happening by both EA/EA and the air line is not justified at all. I do understand that they want to nerf D/D in PvP but this is defo not the right way as it literally affects all the builds, even those that require some skill and were fun to play..

in Elementalist

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

They are also one of the squishiest classes and require a fair investment of time to learn to play properly.

This misconception has always bothered me. Elementalist has never been hard to play.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

They are also one of the squishiest classes and require a fair investment of time to learn to play properly.

This misconception has always bothered me. Elementalist has never been hard to play.

For you. Also, the term “properly” means something different for people. Some people think staying in Fire and doing 1&2 and switching to Water for a heal /slow every so often or Earth for a random blast finisher is proper. Others think that stance dancing and combo-ing and all that jazz is proper.

There are different levels of play involved along with differing levels of player skill.

in Elementalist

spoj.9672

That may be the case from the PvE side but on the WvW/PvP side of things nerfing staff which is happening by both EA/EA and the air line is not justified at all. I do understand that they want to nerf D/D in PvP but this is defo not the right way as it literally affects all the builds, even those that require some skill and were fun to play..

Those nerfs are justified aswell. Everyone going arcane in PvP for those traits was stupid. It was too much. The lines need to be brought inline with each other.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Those nerfs are justified aswell. Everyone going arcane in PvP for those traits was stupid. It was too much. The lines need to be brought inline with each other.

We’ll see when the nerfs hit how much it effects the meta, then we’ll know if you were right or not. I suspect that ele’s will fall out of the PvP meta entirely. In WvW, they will be relegated to staff only back liners. Ele roamers will be gone.

Also, if everyone is going for a trait line, it could be that it’s too good, that everything else is too bad, or that it’s necessary because something about the class is broken.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Elementalist

Chris.5720

the arcana line isn’t picked cause it’s OP just all the other trait lines aren’t good enough, simple as that. esspecially in PvP and even more so in WvW eles need to boons to survive against high burst classes. Every single class got buffed in some way or another and then nerfing the strongest of the 5 meh-traitlines is a rather cheap solution.

The reason everyone uses arcana is not cause it’s OP, it’s more cause it’s needed to survive and to up the damage a bit. With cele being nerfed you’ll see how OP arcana is (I do agree that it needs to be nerfed in PvP) just the other changes aren’t justified whatsoever.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

Everyone is taking those traits because they are necessary for survival… not because they’re OP.

in Elementalist

spoj.9672

I didnt actually say it was OP. I just said everyone picks arcane. It hurts diversity when one traitline is so good that you always take it. The devs actually explained this on the stream and i think most people who look at it objectively can agree.

I dont agree they are necessary. But if they were then surely the better solution would be to fix that issue without forcing people to use the same traits in the same line for every PvP build. :P

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

I didnt actually say it was OP. I just said everyone picks arcane. It hurts diversity when one traitline is so good that you always take it. The devs actually explained this on the stream and i think most people who look at it objectively can agree.

I dont agree they are necessary. But if they were then surely the better solution would be to fix that issue without forcing people to use the same traits in the same line for every PvP build. :P

Then the solution isn’t nerf the good skills to create build diversity as that would create tons of bad traits all around. Objectively, I agree with you, there is little build diversity if there is one traitline is dominant. However due to elementalist being low health, low damage and low survivability without boons and the traits that exist in the Arcana line that line IS necessary.

The solution (better one) would be to create good traits that compete with those traits in other lines. Not traits like Ferocious Winds or Zephyr’s Speed.

Edit – Also, show me a build that is competitive that doesn’t have traits in Arcana for PvP or WvW.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dartanis.8205

Dartanis.8205

All of the things people say eles are “good” at now will change when the new system is in place. If you think eles are squishy now wait till the new system. Eles will stat getting one shot. lol

in Elementalist

Chris.5720

Encountering a full zerk thief that runs panic strike and executioner will redefine the word “squishy” for us eles.

EA is the best way for us to create boons which are needed…creating then a new GM trait that boosts your damage the more boons you have on you is like a slap in your face.. :/

Please Anet, I wanna keep enjoying my ele and not just be a easy target/running lootbag as all I can do is using my cantrips.

in Elementalist

spoj.9672

Then the solution isn’t nerf the good skills to create build diversity as that would create tons of bad traits all around. Objectively, I agree with you, there is little build diversity if there is one traitline is dominant. However due to elementalist being low health, low damage and low survivability without boons and the traits that exist in the Arcana line that line IS necessary.

The solution (better one) would be to create good traits that compete with those traits in other lines. Not traits like Ferocious Winds or Zephyr’s Speed.

Edit – Also, show me a build that is competitive that doesn’t have traits in Arcana for PvP or WvW.

Yeah well moving those traits was one step towards that. I agree having other good boon traits in the other lines is important aswell.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

Yeah well moving those traits was one step towards that. I agree having other good boon traits in the other lines is important aswell.

No, it wasn’t. It was a move against that as now people will STILL stay in Arcana, they just will have 2 useless traits along with a good trait.

Other lines do not need to be about boons. They can be about covering the gaps the class has if there are no boons like the new earth talent. Don’t need protection if you get -20% DR for enemies near you (only good for a tank melee ele). The lines are defined already (sort of):
Air – Burst
Fire – Sustained damage
Earth – Damage Reduction
Water – Healing & Cleansing (and for some reason, damage modifiers)
Arcana – Utility

The problem with this line is that those other lines don’t do their job well, and when a class that has no inherent (read: stealth, aegis, high health, high armor) defenses it will always need to go into that utility line or healing/damage reduction line if the class is balanced around boons. There is no need for defensiveness in a dungeon or PvE true, but in PvP a burst elementalist if you go straigh Fire/Air/Water all damage will die when sneezed at. Hence the prevalence of the utility line.

Just make EAttunement baseline for the elementalist only and you’ll see that people will stop investing so heavily in Arcana. For example, I solely go into Arcana for that one trait. I don’t care about the others (though the perma vigor is nice) I cannot deal without that self generation of boons because the classes damage, healing cooldowns and defenses are all about those boons and are balanced with the impression that elementalists have easy access to these boons.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

The only problem with being so angular in your definition of traitlines is that it makes certain ones necessary. For a good example, look at warrior’s new traitlines. There are a mix of great defense (damage reduction/cleanse), offense (damage modifiers, skill enhancement), and utility (new capabilities) spread among all the traitlines. Even though most warriors will take the defense traitline for cleansing Ire, you can still make builds without b/c there are good cleanse options in other lines. That leads to a lot of diversity.

For eles, its more like: you need cleanse, so everybody takes water. You need tankiness, so you take earth or arcana. That leaves you 1 traitline to play with. Pigeon-holing at its worst.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

The only problem with being so angular in your definition of traitlines is that it makes certain ones necessary. For a good example, look at warrior’s new traitlines. There are a mix of great defense (damage reduction/cleanse), offense (damage modifiers, skill enhancement), and utility (new capabilities) spread among all the traitlines. Even though most warriors will take the defense traitline for cleansing Ire, you can still make builds without b/c there are good cleanse options in other lines. That leads to a lot of diversity.

For eles, its more like: you need cleanse, so everybody takes water. You need tankiness, so you take earth or arcana. That leaves you 1 traitline to play with. Pigeon-holing at its worst.

I was trying to get at that, but I wrote that at 3AM so it wasn’t as coherent as I liked XD

Yes that was my point, since ALL the utility or survivability is baked ino Arcana/Water people will go into those lines. My point was that moving EAttunement higher doessn’t promote build diversity, just makes sure that people will stay there for one of those traits and end up with traits they don’t really want just because they have to.

EAttunement solo baseline and adding interesting things like… a stacking DR for channeling the scepter air auto based on the power you havegiving a max of like… 15% DR or in fire critting with a fire spell grants a shield that absorbs damage based upon your power +a % of how much you crit would be great. They’re interesting options for defenses for power/burst builds that don’t depend on boons.

Right now the vigor option for dodging around is in Arcana, the boons for generating protection is in Arcana, the Evasive Arcana is in Arcana… The other lines don’t have any good defensive stuff that are worth it nor anything that would be good utilitywise. The water line is grea, it has a good mix of both, but the rest are sorely lacking.

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

Though I agree Ele’s need more variety in their traitlines… Warriors take Cleansing Ire out of necessity. It is one of the only useful condi-cleanse traits. Apart from PvE because it is faceroll easy, every warrior build on any guide or wiki has Cleansing Ire because it is hard to condi cleanse reliably without it.

That aside, I agree on the Ele points.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Lol I just saw the video on the traits nerfs, and when I read your title, I thought broken meant that elementalists would be a useless class after the patch. Basically, there has been nerfs to the damage which I found very lacklustre in the first place when you compare to other classes. It seems to me that the devs want the elementalist to be all glass and no cannon. I know there are traits that improve the survivability but in the first place, the elementalist wears light armour and it does not have the toughness of heavy armoured classes like the warrior or guardian. In fact, it doesn’t even have the damage of such classes. Speccing into toughness makes it deal virtually no damage. The devs need to know what they want the ele to play as.

gaem not made for mi
===========

in Elementalist

Chris.5720

Lol I just saw the video on the traits nerfs, and when I read your title, I thought broken meant that elementalists would be a useless class after the patch. Basically, there has been nerfs to the damage which I found very lacklustre in the first place when you compare to other classes. It seems to me that the devs want the elementalist to be all glass and no cannon. I know there are traits that improve the survivability but in the first place, the elementalist wears light armour and it does not have the toughness of heavy armoured classes like the warrior or guardian. In fact, it doesn’t even have the damage of such classes. Speccing into toughness makes it deal virtually no damage. The devs need to know what they want the ele to play as.

yeah, I absolutely agree. Ele had some well setup weapon sets and with these changes most of it is being ruined/nerfed into the ground. The only thing that may be broken is Cele d/d in PvP but that’s being nerfed anyways.

All the burst specs on ele aren’t OP at all. they are so easy to dodge as you need to use multiple skills at the same time to get some nice damage out while other classes can use one skill for the same or even more damage.

Adding a few new traits for survivability (which aren’t even viable for like half the weapon sets in the first place) and making these (rather crap) traits totally needed on most setups clearly enhances build variety..I mean, nothing is better than only 0 0 6 6 6 support d/d in PvP compared to now where you see all different kind of trait and weapon setups in PvP.

Imo it’s really sad to see that by trying to enforce new builds, they managed to nerf basically the whole class, be it damage or sustainability -wise.

in Elementalist

Posted by: yumee.1405

yumee.1405

Their’s 1 things sad, and it’s true for every classes, it’s that we will no longer be abble to have more than 3 traits lines and that we won’t be abble to mix them (by that I mean putting 6 points in a trait line and use 2 masters instead of one master one grandmaster).
That’s sad but ok.

For the arcana line as it is now or it will be at the release if nothing change .. I’ll still take it out of “dungeons rush zerk without sustain build”.
If you want to nerf it by asking us to make choice between elemental attunement and evasive arcana. Well I hate that but ok. But at least give us some good trait in master.
You seriously think that I’ll rez someone? If I rez I die even with your stupid trait. The only one that I don’t like but will take if it stays like that is the final shielding and I don’t really like the isea of taking it .. it’s not worth it. So we will still take tha arcana lines but cry …

For the “broken op ele” debate/discution. Well, before I agree, ele was really strong in wvw (since I’m mostly playing I won’t really talk about pvp). Celestial was awsome really fantastic sustain and awsome damage. After being nerfed nerfed and nerfed again, we go full zerk with a bit vitality to deal less damage and still getting os by retal or cp team. Now we’ll win what? 2 traits that for me I’ll take in water and we’ll lose our best boons incame :/

Ele isn’t really healer > it gives combo field but it’s the finisher that heal not the field so our only effective out going healing is switching water and rolls in water o/
not worth it imo.

Tanky ele is a joke .. useless and hum .. useless they’re not meant for it

AOE damage is the best things to take in ele for a build (and it’s CC but it does influence your gear). and it’s most of the time suicide to do those damage, only one mistake and your dead.

Some says ele is faceroll class but if it is, what are the other class? Oo Don’t think it’s broken but it’s true that it can be usefull in every part of the game if well played and well used. It’s also true for guard/war/mesmer/thief.
Necro lack in pve for some reason :/ inge are nice but not “as good as” or “as essential as” other class like some says. FOr the ranger it start slowly getting its place but I stilll think the up they got wasn’t the good ones..

I’m not sure I put my thought clearly but well .. I tried ^^"

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

What misconception? They are, all things being equal, the squishiest and they do require a fair investment to be good with.

Beside, let’s not make the mistake, again, of lumping all builds under a profession in the same basket. Stop comparing professions and start to compare builds.

Finally, maybe for you it was easier to play ele. For me, my shatter mesmer (zerker) is a lot easier to handle without dying than my staff ele (zerker). And that, despite having thousands more hours of playing my ele than my mesmer. Might be the opposite for others but for me it’s like that.

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

Though I agree Ele’s need more variety in their traitlines… Warriors take Cleansing Ire out of necessity. It is one of the only useful condi-cleanse traits. Apart from PvE because it is faceroll easy, every warrior build on any guide or wiki has Cleansing Ire because it is hard to condi cleanse reliably without it.

I agree with you there, and alluded to as much. Cleansing Ire gives a TON of cleanse for so little investment, so its always taken. However, with upcoming changes you can at least imagine cases where mending will be taken. You can also make a pretty nice build with some combination of sigil of cleansing, brawler’s recovery, shouts with soldier/trooper runes, restorative strength, mobile strikes, and quick breathing. While meta pvp builds will take defense because it offer so much great stuff, you are at least tempted to make other choices.

For ele its just water or gtfo.

in Elementalist

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

It’s not the class that is broken, it’s the fresh air burst build. It turns a fight into a coinflip. Opponent does two random dodges and the burst is wasted? He wins. He doesn’t? You kill him with 0 skill investment since random mashing of buttons that are off cooldown doesn’t require more than a face rolling on the keyboard. Yaaaaay I can put down a phoenix and spam my air skills and arcane utility, I’m the KILLAH.

The problem with this build is that, as already mentioned, there is no animation to see the burst coming since almost everything is instant. That’s what makes those dodges “lucky”.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Titanimite.2534

Titanimite.2534

First of all maybe it is just me and my personal experiences may come down to me being a medicore player.

The Topic:

From what i can see Ele’s are the top profession of any gametype.

In PvE they offer the biggest DPS in the game + soft and hard cc, amazing support lots of fields and lots of finishers. I mean its pretty hard to make an argument for filling the slots with anything non ele when you have a guard already.

In PvP the Celestial varriant can beat about any other class in 1v1 and shrug of conditions as well as direct damage while dealing great damage themselves. Zerker with focus offer allmost no counterplay because all the spells are instant casts with instant procs from fire/air sigill. Even then they get all of that from their weapons and can take all the defensive utility they want.

In WvW they are the main source of Damage and can lay waste to entire Zergs. As well as sustain their own with waterfields and harrass the enemy with static fields. They also make excelent roamers and scouts.

I get that elementalists are supposed to be able to do many things but right now they seem to be the best at everything.

In PvE, Thief is the biggest DPS in the game on single targets and AoE if using Icebow. They will out DPS an Elementalist is most cases. Elementalist being ranged with Staff however does make it easier for them to do so without worry but at the same time Elementalist makes a Thief look tanky as kitten and I feel they are balanced.

CC wise, Thief has a spam-able CC that is used by organized groups to remove defiant stacks so that other members can Deep Freeze a boss. The next longest CC in the game is actually Technobabble a racial Asuran skill available to all classes. Your also forgetting about stealth something used by all game types and is very important for many things (skipping trash, surprising enemies, disengaging) which Thief is best at by far and Elementalist has no access to whatsoever. This said why even bring Elementalists at all?

In PvP, this is seriously not even true by any means. Elementalists from D/D to S/* and Staff are easily destroyed by most classes. Thief, Necro, Mesmer, Warrior, Guardian all completely dump an Elementalist 80% of the time. Elementalist takes so much more skill to play however and to play well and it’s pretty balanced at the moment. Most of their DPS in regards to S/* which is the build your referring to is around their burst chain with Phoenix, Dragon Tooth, and Air burst and can be avoided just fine. After this they are harmless.

In WvW, the king is AoE and Staff is the best at AoE damage. Remember that AoE can only hit 5 targets so a single Elementalist destroying a zerg is fiction and just won’t happen. That said, AoE is the focus of the weapon and for this reason this will be the case. With the nerf to Engineer grenades this only pushes this further. However, nerfing a class into the ground is not the way to fix a mechanics issue. Specializations and HoT gives them the opportunity to provide classes with more AoE type skills at the cost of survivability.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

In PvP the Celestial varriant can beat about any other class in 1v1 and shrug of conditions as well as direct damage while dealing great damage themselves. Zerker with focus offer allmost no counterplay because all the spells are instant casts with instant procs from fire/air sigill. Even then they get all of that from their weapons and can take all the defensive utility they want.

(1v1 Isn’t even important in a Team Game, but as someone who enjoys dueling let me humour you. )
I have no idea why people keep touting this nonsense. There are a fair number of specs and classes that can outdo them 1v1.

Any warrior worth his salt should be able to destroy you. The number of Ele’s I have laid waste to on my main is unbelivably high, and literally all you need is a zerker amulet. The damage and pressure you put out if played properly is way too high for an ele to take time ramping up damage in Cele. Don’t even get me started on shoutbow which can outlast and beat this spec at it’s own game.

As for the Scepter/Focus zerk build, I went into a duel arena just yesterday and beat a few of these using a zerker amulet and RAMPAGE of all the skills. They really aren’t that hard to fight, god knows how easy a good necromancer would find it.

It is just a buzzword now.

I fully agree with you, so much so I made a warrior myself and noticed even the damage done by warriors compared to full zerk ele has so much difference! And still the devs want to nerf this class further lmao. 1v1 it would be against the odds for ele of any build to win warriors and guardians and necros and thieves and actually about 90% of the population stands a good chance against the ele. Ppl who actually win make videos about it cuz it’s so rare and so kitten funny. So much so I’m beginning to think my friends who recommended me to pick ele as my main are having me on.

gaem not made for mi
===========

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

I agree with you there, and alluded to as much. Cleansing Ire gives a TON of cleanse for so little investment, so its always taken. However, with upcoming changes you can at least imagine cases where mending will be taken. You can also make a pretty nice build with some combination of sigil of cleansing, brawler’s recovery, shouts with soldier/trooper runes, restorative strength, mobile strikes, and quick breathing. While meta pvp builds will take defense because it offer so much great stuff, you are at least tempted to make other choices.

For ele its just water or gtfo.

Ah I thought you meant currently. Yes the upcoming changes are very favourable and a boon to warrior.

I feel like it is just a theme they want to keep of cleansing water… though they could make cool things out of burning conditions off with fire. Like being immune to bleed in fire attunement because you auto-cauterize. (with a trait of course)

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Elementalist

DarkSyze.8627

Today couple of my server guilds players wanted to test wvw ‘for a ride’: i refuse because i no longer want to waste my time in a no challenge, no fun and no risk mode. So they beg me to, so i agree.

Here is good news: there was 7 of us and there was 3 enemy elementalists, Here is the bad news: there we all died in 1 minute.

How? Obviously

Fresh Air!

All i could see is lightning everywhere over and over again.

Here is the better news: i will ban myself from playing wvw and pvp and will limit pve more until Arena care about making this game challenging and fun.

I will not be trick by words: like other players who believe for 3 years.

I am not quiting: i am protesting my frustration by not playing wvw and pvp and soon pve until Arena net take serious action. I will end this game if the next balance update do not make fix the problems.

I will not regret this game if Arena net continue to refuse because there are game companies who cares about making their game challenging and fun. And they make challenge and fun 1st priority instead of last priority

Lips and tongues lie. But actions never do. No matter what words are spoken, actions betray the truth of everyone’s heart

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact

" It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities "

" The Future Is Purchased By The Present " – " Your Future is Determined By Your Present Actions "

Ankur

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

Uh…DarkSyze, your post doesn’t really make much sense to anybody with experience playing and/or playing against fresh air eles, or wvw in general. Let me tell you this: no build without long CC-chains can EVER 2v1 if you just learn to res quickly. Even a group of 3 perma-stealth thieves that coordinated back-stabs and downed 1 guy will never be able to out-dps and stomp 5-6 people ressing.

Any build that could come close to bursting out 1 player, or even coordinating burst with 1 other person to insta-gib, is hilariously squishy and dies to any significant counter-pressure.

If you lost a 7v3, unless that 7 was a bunch of uplevels, then I would advise you try to be more cognizant of your team-mates health and faster on the res. NO group of 3 people in this game, regardless of class, can take on a group of 7 moderately experienced pvp-ers.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

As BlackBeard mentioned, either you faced 3 Phantaram’s (highly doubtful) or you were outplayed by experience and were not working together as a team.

Fresh Air elementalists are notoriously squishy. Any form of coordinated effort of your 7 group members to lock down the enemy elementalist would have been devastating to them. A simple hammer warrior can keep one locked down long enough for your to go through 10K health and if not, then you need to look at what was wrong. There is no class that can be made into a berserker able to go 3 v 7 and win unless you were just completely outplayed.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MeanCoffeeBean.2073

MeanCoffeeBean.2073

Yeah, I am pretty sure that was a case of inexperienced players vs experienced roamers working together. It would not have mattered what profession they played. In WvW, the roamers that really put in the hours doing it and work together in small tight groups are amazingly proficient.

WvW is just not PVE. Players are not mobs. They move faster, they think faster, and they do a hell of a lot more than get stacked into a corner and wait to be downed.

I am betting you guys rolled in there with your PVE zerker gear and got wrecked. That is to be expected unless you have a ton of experience. The amount of min/maxing that goes into building your WvW roaming set is vastly more intricate that slapping on PVE zerk gear.

Don’t be distraught though. Go to metabattle and read up on the WvW roaming builds for your profession. Then jump into gw2skills and make something you know you can live with. Stack extra vit/tough up front until you get really good. You’re going to die a lot in the beginning. This is expected and normal. Don’t get mad. Just put on some music, and keep at it. Don’t get sucked into the zerg if you want to improve. Learn to single out other players. Find the enemy zerg and watch it from a distance. When they move, sweep in and pick off the stragglers. Clip the backline casters when they are distracted. Soon, you’ll be having a blast and your skill level will go up quite a bit.

It’s a game. Try to find some joy in it.

Fluttershy – Mesmer
Clarishy – Ranger
Tinkershy – Engineer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

7v3 fresh air and you all died in a minute? :I

Fresh air is a single target. It can kill at most one person at a time. During that, you can have other people jump on the ele. If the fresh air ele can kill you that fast, then it must be full zerker. Any hug will kill it. You have more than double the numbers. I’m trying to find a polite way to say this, but it sounds like your team did no CC/damage at all.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

I wouldn’t say it’s the squishiest, but rather the most noob unfriendly class out there. Bad ele will have a very hard time utilize their sustain because they’re all coming from active defense rather than passive defense like what Warrior gets.

However, on the hand of a good player, Ele can be one of the most durable classes out there, sustain so much damage one can throw at and still come back healthy.

(edited by Toxsa.2701)