Even WP said Ele was the worst Spec so far

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Seriously anything but the current state would likely be more viable and more fun.

Not sure why you’re replying to me, but I don’t think anyone’s advocating keeping Tempest in its current state.

What state it could be changed to is another matter. Someone else mentioned channeling not being fun and I’m simply stating that there are others who don’t feel that way.

That said, I don’t think the only way to make the channel aspect worthwhile is to give it max range and huge payoff. Like I said before, the channeling of potent effects AND the ability to manipulate channeling of said effects in various ways are some of the staples of spellcasters and what makes them as popular as they are. I believe the devs were aiming to harness that aspect of elementalist (no surprise there, many have realized that) and so exploring ways to integrate that into the playstyle could be how to give this spec a unique flavor compared to the base profession.

I’m still highly unconvinced players are leaving decent feedback. What I read is highly bias and tends to not even accomplish what the posters themselves are trying to achieve. That isn’t to say all the feedback is bad (a lot of it is good) but more is needed! More suggestions, more discussion and more critiques.

(edited by Leo G.4501)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

i don’t think channelling anything for 5sec is going to fun, regardless of the outcome, leave aside the weak effects, punitive CD lockout, and silly-looking animations.

Then Tempest does not look like the class for you. Bummer. It happens.

I know its been beat to the ground but churning earth… The concept of channeling on the lowest hp armor class with no reasonable access to block/stability is just dumb.

Churning Earth is completely different though. For one thing, it roots. For another, it only really does anything on the spike at the end, while Overloads are more about the channel itself. It’s apples and oranges.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

Churning Earth is completely different though. For one thing, it roots. For another, it only really does anything on the spike at the end, while Overloads are more about the channel itself. It’s apples and oranges.

In this case, it’s the same as you’ll never finish the channel reliable or either of them. Root or not. Moving a little bit while Overloading changes nothing; you’re still gonna get destroyed.
For comparison, try to cast Churning Earth in the middle of a fight and tell me what happens. Then do it with an overload. Compare. Against any competent opponent(and even flippin regular enemies in PvE), you’re either going to get spiked down in a second or interrupted and Churning Earth has a LOWER cast time…

in Elementalist

Ohoni.6057

In this case, it’s the same as you’ll never finish the channel reliable or either of them. Root or not. Moving a little bit while Overloading changes nothing; you’re still gonna get destroyed.

1. I don’t believe that’s true even now. You can avoid CE just by walking out of it, with Overloads, the Ele can follow you, dealing damage the entire time. With CE if someone interrupts you in the middle, you accomplish nothing, while with Overloads, you are least deal some damage already. Huge difference.

2. I don’t believe it has to be true in the future. I think everyone agrees that overloads need some more built in “armor” to them, some level of defense and interrupt protection to make them harder to stop and punish. Perhaps also some additional channel damage. Adding these should be relatively simple though. People who hate on the spec talks about them as if they are impossible to fix, when really it’s just a few tweaks here and there.

done by now.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Uden Reavstone.3426

Uden Reavstone.3426

Am I the only one who loves Tempest? Yes it needs some work, but adds things to the table that I really like. Yes, this includes the Elite skill, which is one that I think I will use on recharge, unlike the three core Elites, which I rarely use.

“Blue team for life.”
“They can’t see me. I can’t see them.”
Michael J. Caboose ~ RvB

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

least favorite =/= worst

Logic 101

While that is true, it doesn’t change the fact that tempest are still the worst elite spec so far.

For what i noticed DH is far worse (Cliché hunter :P)
The only thing that lacks on ele’s is a decent overload (does not look so overloadish).

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Am I the only one who loves Tempest? Yes it needs some work, but adds things to the table that I really like. Yes, this includes the Elite skill, which is one that I think I will use on recharge, unlike the three core Elites, which I rarely use.

I think we can find 2-3 others…

Think beyond the “new” factor and you’ll realize all the flaws it has starting with the base core mechanic. Tempest should decrease your attunements cooldown, not increase it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

For what i noticed DH is far worse (Cliché hunter :P)
The only thing that lacks on ele’s is a decent overload (does not look so overloadish).

The only thing that tempest lacks is an offhand that’s not worse than the current ones, trait line that has a vision and actually some synergy and overloads that serve a purpose.

Three second static field after completing almost 5s chain sounds like a joke to me, not a mechanic.

in Elementalist

Ohoni.6057

Think beyond the “new” factor and you’ll realize all the flaws it has starting with the base core mechanic. Tempest should decrease your attunements cooldown, not increase it.

Decrease. . . lol, no.

done by now.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Decrease. . . lol, no.

Why not? Skills have internal cooldowns anyway, all you would be getting would be a faster attunement boon. Mesmers are getting dual shatter from stealth. Single shatter is already game-breaking OP.

in Elementalist

Ohoni.6057

I think the default attunement cooldowns are plenty short, and if anything would make them shorter it shouldn’t be Overloads.

Hey, how about this for Overloads, what if it put the current attunement on long CD, like it does, but it also gave you a ~5s damage buff while in that attunement? Alternately it could be a stat buff, like power/healing/precision/toughness depending on attunement. This would give players more incentive to stick in that attunement after Overloading without feeling like they’re just killing time. So then the flow would be "do some attacks in fire, fire overload, then do more attacks in fire with higher damage, then swap to air, repeat the process. Instead do earth→water if you were in a situation where you needed to be tanky.

done by now.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Your not! I think tempest is going to fall into an aura support roll with d/d d/f or even staff. 5 man roaming groups are going to must have one ele as a support.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Leo G.4501

Decrease. . . lol, no.

Why not? Skills have internal cooldowns anyway, all you would be getting would be a faster attunement boon. Mesmers are getting dual shatter from stealth. Single shatter is already game-breaking OP.

More attunement swap boons is the Arcane line’s thing. I could possibly see faster cooldowns on the attunement skills after an overload but making attunement cooldown faster is just more of the same…something people constantly complain about.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Decrease. . . lol, no.

Because that’s already what the arcane tree does, and people have wanted less swap-centric and more elemental-themed builds since launch.

This was, unfortunately, the wrong way to address either issue. The overloads don’t reward you for staying in an attunement for longer, they punish you staying in it for more or less the same amount of time as the base class.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Elementalist

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

Decrease. . . lol, no.

Because that’s already what the arcane tree does, and people have wanted less swap-centric and more elemental-themed builds since launch.

This was, unfortunately, the wrong way to address either issue. The overloads don’t reward you for staying in an attunement for longer, they punish you staying in it for more or less the same amount of time as the base class.

You lost me on the word punish . How does adding an extra option to each element punishes you ?

You have the choice to activate the overload or not, just like you have the choice with the vanilla ele to stay in an element or to swap for an other element.

Truth be told, some people are not pleased to get something that does not makes their class more OP (I’m looking at you chronomancer) and are trying to find silly reasons to explain why they are kittened off.

While I tested the tempest during the last BWE and found it underwhelming, I still saw potential in this elite spec for PvE at least. The changes they’ve announced are going in the right direction.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

in Elementalist

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Decrease. . . lol, no.

You lost me on the word punish . How does adding an extra option to each element punishes you?

How does either being forced to stay in one element for twenty seconds or lose it for twenty seconds reward you? It doesn’t. It is a punishment for playing the class the way all its vanilla content most heavily encourages you to play it, and a punishment for playing the way the elementalist community would most like the class opened up to, mono and duo-attunement builds. Overcharges are literally the worst of both worlds combined in to one mechanic.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

Decrease. . . lol, no.

You lost me on the word punish . How does adding an extra option to each element punishes you?

How does either being forced to stay in one element for twenty seconds or lose it for twenty seconds reward you? It doesn’t. It is a punishment for playing the class the way all its vanilla content most heavily encourages you to play it, and a punishment for playing the way the elementalist community would most like the class opened up to, mono and duo-attunement builds. Overcharges are literally the worst of both worlds combined in to one mechanic.

i actually posted a good suggestion to change the ele to work for both things ^^
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Attunement-and-Traits-Revamp-idea/first#post5440350
which also use a overloading system :P
made the suggestion like a year or more ago, i assume they thought the idea was cool they just f’ed up the actual implementation of it (no suprice there )

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

Decrease. . . lol, no.

You lost me on the word punish . How does adding an extra option to each element punishes you ?

You have the choice to activate the overload or not, just like you have the choice with the vanilla ele to stay in an element or to swap for an other element.

Truth be told, some people are not pleased to get something that does not makes their class more OP (I’m looking at you chronomancer) and are trying to find silly reasons to explain why they are kittened off.

While I tested the tempest during the last BWE and found it underwhelming, I still saw potential in this elite spec for PvE at least. The changes they’ve announced are going in the right direction.

Overloads are punishing whether you use them or not. If you use them, you risk way too much for very little reward. If you choose not to use them , there is no point traiting into tempest. Tempest is tied very much to overloads because all of its minor traits involve overloads only. In addition, it has the weakest ele traits by far. This means that merely having the option to use them in a combat situation is punishing.

in Elementalist

Leo G.4501

Decrease. . . lol, no.

Overloads are punishing whether you use them or not. If you use them, you risk way too much for very little reward. If you choose not to use them , there is no point traiting into tempest. Tempest is tied very much to overloads because all of its minor traits involve overloads only. In addition, it has the weakest ele traits by far. This means that merely having the option to use them in a combat situation is punishing.

That’s not being punished for not using overloads. Tactically choosing not to use something does not get double penalty for it’s opportunity cost to have + choosing not to use it. That’s like saying you’re double penalized for choosing Stone Heart GM trait but choosing not to use it at some points and attributing the downfalls of the trait itself being you have to take and use earth attunement.

That isn’t to say you don’t feel punished for not using something at every given moment. It’s your choice to feel how you want to feel. But you are not punished for not using an overload when it’s available. I doubt the purpose of the skills were to use them every time they are available and you aren’t punished, literally or figuratively, for not clicking that overload when it pops up.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

Decrease. . . lol, no.

That’s not being punished for not using overloads. Tactically choosing not to use something does not get double penalty for it’s opportunity cost to have + choosing not to use it. That’s like saying you’re double penalized for choosing Stone Heart GM trait but choosing not to use it at some points and attributing the downfalls of the trait itself being you have to take and use earth attunement.

That isn’t to say you don’t feel punished for not using something at every given moment. It’s your choice to feel how you want to feel. But you are not punished for not using an overload when it’s available. I doubt the purpose of the skills were to use them every time they are available and you aren’t punished, literally or figuratively, for not clicking that overload when it pops up.

Well, it’s punishing not to use in the sense that you’re using a very sad trait line to unlock it and you have 2(technically 3) useless minors and several useless traits. You could have just gone Earth or anything else.
You give up a trait line to receive a very situational mechanic. That doesn’t seem worth it at all.
When is it good to use them? Pre-stack Might in a less effective, but easier way? Cleave downed targets? The only one I see having much use is Water Overload for those Water camping Staff Eles. That doesn’t seem like a very good mechanic.

So, Overloads aren’t very useful for many situations and then the Traits are way too…specific, I guess. None of them modify the base Elementalist except Elemental Bastion, which requires the use of Shouts to use effectively, which aren’t exactly amazing utilities.

What happens is that picking the traits turns into a situation of “pick the least worst”.
There’s no exciting options. We can look at the Reaper Grandmasters and they all have something exciting. Reaper’s Onslaught not only allows you to plow through trash mobs faster, but also ups your DPS and makes Dhuumfire much more prevalent. Blighter’s Boon gives the Reaper extra Sustain and synergizes well with the Minors; giving you Might on auto-attack is pretty nice.
Then finally there’s Deathly Chill, which is a tad weak, but allows Condi Reapers to have some extra damage if they’re not planning on using Dhuumfire(or maybe they are, but don’t wanna use focus on the Auto-attacks).

There’s good options there that synergize well with their own Minor skills, other trait lines, and don’t force Greatsword or Shouts.

in Elementalist

Ohoni.6057

How does either being forced to stay in one element for twenty seconds or lose it for twenty seconds reward you?

That’s a slight exaggeration of the facts. The way you phrased it makes it seem that the CD doesn’t start until you swap, and if you wait fifteen seconds and swap then you’d be locked out for 20 second more, instead of just being locked out for five more. And that’s the trick. You’re meant to either stay in one attunement a bit longer than usual, but not by any ridiculous amount. If you Overload, make a few attacks in that spec, switch specs, make a few attacks, Overload that one, and make another couple attacks, the first spec will be back up again. You can rotate any two specs you prefer that way. Throw in a third spec and you can rotate non-stop.

It’s not quite as free and easy as the current set-up, but it’s not like it puts them on 60 second CDs or anything, you can still rotate just fine. It also doesn’t kick you out of the Attunement you’re in, so if you want to mono-tune, you’re welcome to do that.

done by now.”

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

How does either being forced to stay in one element for twenty seconds or lose it for twenty seconds reward you?

That’s a slight exaggeration of the facts. The way you phrased it makes it seem that the CD doesn’t start until you swap, and if you wait fifteen seconds and swap then you’d be locked out for 20 second more, instead of just being locked out for five more. And that’s the trick. You’re meant to either stay in one attunement a bit longer than usual, but not by any ridiculous amount. If you Overload, make a few attacks in that spec, switch specs, make a few attacks, Overload that one, and make another couple attacks, the first spec will be back up again. You can rotate any two specs you prefer that way. Throw in a third spec and you can rotate non-stop.

It’s not quite as free and easy as the current set-up, but it’s not like it puts them on 60 second CDs or anything, you can still rotate just fine. It also doesn’t kick you out of the Attunement you’re in, so if you want to mono-tune, you’re welcome to do that.

See, there’s just nothing encouraging you to do this.
You miss out on boons, combos, sustain, everything. Then, if you get interrupted while Overloading, you now have an attunement on a larger cool down and you can get stuck very easily on Water/Earth/Fire Auto-attacks. Even Staff Eles in PvE have a rotation; they’ll pretty much only use Fire Overload for a DPS boost in those encounters where staying in melee range isn’t a gigantic risk. Assuming they want to pick up a line with 0 damage modifiers(which means the Fire Overload has to pick up all the slack).

in Elementalist

Ohoni.6057

You miss out on boons, combos, sustain, everything. Then, if you get interrupted while Overloading, you now have an attunement on a larger cool down and you can get stuck very easily on Water/Earth/Fire Auto-attacks.

In it’s current state, maybe. I still think that people over-emphasize “getting the Overload out” over “doing the Overload,” the channel is as much of the effect as the ending effect, so interrupting doesn’t “ruin” the Overload, it just shortens it, and they’ve burned an Interrupt they could use on something else and put it on CD a few seconds earlier than you planned. Punish them for it.

Is this effect worth using? Mathematically maybe not, but that’s just numbers. If BWE1 version wasn’t worth it, they bumped a lot of stuff for BWE2. If BWE2 version still isn’t worth it, they can bump it some more. Until it’s “worth it,” there’s no reason to not keep bumping it up until it is. Using an Overload should be THE most productive use of 4.5 seconds of your time.

And then they can always add additional effects, either native to the ability or optional via traits (forcing you to spec into Overloading over picking other options). Most people seem to agree that mobile combo fields would be really fun and thematically appropriate, and if they can balance that then they should. Most people seem to agree that it’s too easy to interrupt, and some degree of interrupt armor is a good idea, striking a balance between being non-trivial to interrupt, while still being possible to interrupt if people really put effort into it. They can do these things, and if they do it makes the Overloads much more desirable.

And of course they can tweak traits and powers that don’t work. They didn’t for BWE2, other things took priority and whatever changes they’ve discussed internally (and I guarantee you they’ve spent time discussing them internally), took more time than they had to implement and test those changes by BWE2’s lock down date, but they’ll get them in, hopefully by BWE3, almost certainly by launch, but even if not, they can continue to improve on the build over the following months. Keep in mind, a lot of players won’t even have the Hero Points to upgrade their Eles within the first weeks or months of HoT (unless they saved up and/or did World Completion).

I just don’t see it as a huge fiasco.

done by now.”

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

The problem isn’t just finishing them, but rather that the channel leaves so vulnerable that there’s no way to not get destroyed, even in PvE.
Until they actually make changes, we can’t say that they can “just do x” because so far they haven’t made any big changes at all. So until then, it’s a pretty bad elite spec.

in Elementalist

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

To reiterate, overloads are not the only problem with tempest. Traits have absolutely no synergy and were designed in 1h.

in Elementalist

VodCom.6924

Decrease. . . lol, no.

The minors are as their name implies minor elements of the tempest. What makes the tempest interesting to me in WvW at least are the shouts that offers plenty of powerful auras for alies while allowing us to keep cleansing waters in the water spec.

For that simple fact the tempest is not off my radars.

Again, try to think outside of the box. Nobody is pointing a gun at you and say : use these overloads off cooldown. If you don’t need them, don’t use them.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Decrease. . . lol, no.

The minors are as their name implies minor elements of the tempest. What makes the tempest interesting to me in WvW at least are the shouts that offers plenty of powerful auras for alies while allowing us to keep cleansing waters in the water spec.

Again, try to think outside of the box. Nobody is pointing a gun at you and say : use these overloads off cooldown. If you don’t need them, don’t use them.

Ya something i cant seem to get ppl feel that they must use overload at all times and not to just simply save them for when you need them. But i guess that would require skill on the ele class over just nearly face rolling that ele has become atument off cd you better switch to it now or will lose time.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Elorna.5329

Elorna.5329

So it’s somehow important if WP said so?

The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved.

in Elementalist

VodCom.6924

WP’s channel is one of the most popular GW2 related channel (and his channel is one of the few I’ve subscribed to). Truth is, people usually give credit to statements based on the popularity of the one who makes the statement rather than on the validity of the statement itself.

That’s the reason why independant journalism is a fundamental element of democratic societies btw but I digress.

Anyway, during the first BWE, the tempest has been found underwhelming by everyone (including me) for all gamemodes. Number changes have been made (ppl expecting overhaul at this point of development are truly out of touch with reality) and we’ll see where this takes us.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

He more of an pve or spvp player so he things on these lines i do not think he plays much wvw. I guess i come at it purely from wvw.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

Decrease. . . lol, no.

Ya something i cant seem to get ppl feel that they must use overload at all times and not to just simply save them for when you need them. But i guess that would require skill on the ele class over just nearly face rolling that ele has become atument off cd you better switch to it now or will lose time.

What are you replying to? Did you even understand my statement? To put it simply, overloads are too punishing atm, especially since they are not better than continuing a standard rotation. If they were better I might have considered using them in some situations.

However, the most important part of my statement had to do with how horrible the tempest traits are, both minor and major. The traits have been the biggest problem for me from the moment that tempest was revealed. It’s nice that you want to experiment with shouts, but they would have to be completely op to make taking the tempest traits worth it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

He more of an pve or spvp player so he things on these lines i do not think he plays much wvw. I guess i come at it purely from wvw.

If you come at it as a WvW player then you would realise how useless tempest will be in WvW. In the frontline it will be burst down far too easily.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

If you come at it as a WvW player then you would realise how useless tempest will be in WvW. In the frontline it will be burst down far too easily.

In a lot of ways staff ele is useless becuse how how easy it is to simply range gank them in wvw. Every thing can be bursted down if the numbers are there its a non counter able effect in wvw. The ideal is to get the most use out of melee even war and gurds will die to burst but if they let the back line kill the other team your good. Think of tempest on thoughts lines it will help your melee last longer vs this burst even the tempest should last longer due to auras boons and counter cc. Its all about buying time for your dps (most of the time ranged) to do there job.