Expanding on the idea of Unravel being F5

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

I forget which thread I read where someone suggested Unravel become our F5 ability and at first, I kind of thought it would ruin the idea of having to Weave through our attunements but then it got me thinking that it could be balanced so you only get 1 charge and you have to use it wisely. Afterwards, you get a 20-25s cooldown on being able to Unravel again.

For instance: If you just setup a sweet burst on a dude and needed that last chunk from Fire Grab to finish them, then hit F5 after attuning to Fire and bam, you got him. But then guess what? After that you won’t have easy access to your Cleansing Burst should you need to cleanse a condition or you won’t be able to easily CC your enemy’s buddy who is rezzing them because you already used up your trump card.

Personally, I think a compromise like this could retain the Weaver’s unique playstyle while giving us some much needed fluidity. I don’t rememeber if the original commenter suggested this too but either way, I’m making this thread for visibility. Whoever you are, feel free to reply for credit for the idea!

As for what would happen to the Unravel utility… well, honestly, I think we’d all be okay with it simply becoming the F5 and only getting the 3 other Stance utility skills.

While I stand behind my previous thoughts that a GCD reduction could be enough to bring Weaver fluidity in line, the Unravel F5 idea could be good too with the right tuning to still require skillful Weaving and only using the F5 if you absolutely need it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Someone had also suggested adding a weapon swap mechanic that switches around your selected attunements. I personally like the weapon swap suggestion more. Then they could still replace Unravel with something else. Someone had also suggested a pulsing AoE (like Primordial Stance) that corrupts boons, but I’d rather it cleanse condis from allies. This would finally add some more useful condi cleansing utilities, something that ele lacks. And then, in order to help make double attuning more useful and rewarding, add a passive trait that gives a nice bonus when you double attune. Here are some ideas:

- Damage boost, either just power or power and condi. This bonus shouldn’t be so high that PvE Weavers would have to stay in one attunement at all times. It would need to be handled well. A temporary bonus on double attuning could work IMO.
- Gain trait bonuses again. The heal on water attunement selection should trigger again when you attune to water a second time. Perhaps, just like the above idea, traits like the Pyromancer’s Training could apply twice. The risk with that is PvE Weavers camping in Fire and never double attuning. Again, perhaps it’s enough just to make double attuning grant a temporary bonus that makes all single attuning traits apply when double attuned.
- Skill 3 when full attuned grants increased barrier as oppose to duel attacks.
- You are granted barrier when fully attunning.
- Fully attuning resets the GCD.

There are plenty of things that could be done to help make full attuning better while also helping make Weaver smoother.

in Elementalist

Posted by: vana.5467

vana.5467

I would be okay with Unravel as a F5, but I’m more partial to the idea of allowing weapon swap (with the usual 10 second cd) to switch the two active attunements. As far as I can see, that would fix the problems with offhand skills without messing with the “weaving” concept at all.

(edited by vana.5467)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mogsterfortytwo.6712

Mogsterfortytwo.6712

I would be okay with Unravel as a F5, but I’m more partial to the idea of allowing weapon swap (with the usual 10 second cd) to switch the two active attunements. As far as I can see, that would fix the problems with offhand skills without messing with the “weaving” concept at all.

Unless my maths is off, the ws cd could take its value straight from the last-switched-into element (now secondary). This will always be your longest cd and lets you use the mechanic without adding in an extra timer that functions differently to the other four you already have to keep an eye on.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wraistlin.6072

Wraistlin.6072

Problem with the weapon swap is that currently the weapon swap functionality in the game in general does not work in the method described here, it would be much easier for the coders to just move Unravel to an F5 skill. Since F5 skills are already built into the game on other classes.

I like the idea, cause if I can weave elements together I can certainly unweave them. Feels like it should just be part of the class mechanic to me.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jakal.9582

Jakal.9582

I’ll add my two cents and I mentioned this in another identical thread, but I like having the attunement swap the way it is. It might be nice to have a slightly lower cool down on swapping, but not any lower then 3 seconds. With the attunement swapping the way it is now, it requires more forethought, prediction, and planning than just knee jerk reaction. I didn’t have too much of a problem with managing my skills after just this weekend, and that was in between testing all of the other PoF specs. I am sure that any problem that I have will be smoothed over with a little bit of practice after the PoF release.

in Elementalist

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

No.

It’s a trade-off.
You’ll have to change your rotations to be able to play it well.

You will need to keep that defensive attunements always in your rotation to be able to use the defense quick.
It will be a very different rotation than d/d ele. I think Phantaram already posted a video with some suggestions.

I much rather they give sword a bit more power dmg, longer range movement skills and better evades to compensate the short range and cleave.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

No.

It’s a trade-off.

You will need to keep that defensive attunements always in your rotation to be able to use the defense quick.
It will be a very different rotation than d/d ele. I think Phantaram already posted a video with some suggestions.

I much rather they give sword a bit more power dmg, longer range movement skills and better evades to compensate the short range and cleave.

I agree with you completely. Air Sword 2 needs to be at least 600 range and Power Scaling on sword can be a bit better too.

I also think that being able to cycle through your attunements to reach the desired effect ahead of time is an awesome requirement for playing Weaver. I just think that with how clunky the GCD feels right now, this could be an interesting fix for that if lowering the GCD is not an option due to balancing. Giving us only 1 charge of Unravel too, could mean that it should only be used in dire situations thus still requiring Weavers to think ahead of time for their rotations whenever Unravel is on cooldown.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Maskah.1486

Maskah.1486

Setting Unravel to an F5 skill with a 10 sec CD is not a bad idea.

It is worth mentioning that you can do good condi burst with Fire/Earth 3 > Unravel > Fire 3 > Earth 3 > Air/Earth 3, at that point you are running a disable chain.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ProDecius.2609

ProDecius.2609

This is a perfect idea, I’ve been talking about this with all of my friends and I played (sadly) 30 + hours of weaver inside of the demo. In my own conclusions as it is, weaver would be a 6/10 on metabattles.com if I would have to guess. Elementalist at it’s core is a REACTIVE class, weaver atm goes against this synergy unless one sacrifices an entire skill slot. Unravel being f5 is the most simple and direct way to fix all of the problems with weaver, I wouldn’t even mind if the CD was forty seconds, it would make weaver viable, and even increase the skill cap.

(edited by ProDecius.2609)

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Weaver wouldn’t be that bad with faster auto attacks. The damage on auto attacks is not bad its just too slow to be any good.

Unravel should def be an f5. I feel like it was a lazy stance cuz they couldnt think of anything better.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bear.3689

Bear.3689

yes!! i actually suggested on the feedback thread that it should be an f5 skill before i even knew that you guys wanted it to be. you cant afford to take unravel in a utility slot, and even having it at a high CD would be fine. because swapping to the same attunement twice is never worth it

in Elementalist

Wraistlin.6072

No.

It’s a trade-off.

Disagree, because if it was truly a trade off they wouldn’t allow for double attunement, nor would they have sword #3 single attunement skills, or unravel in the first place. Clearly they designed it as such, which in turn should have just made it part of this spec mechanic instead of a utility slot.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

Buffing the sword skills and dual skills would be a good start. If the design is intended to sacrifice full attunement for powerful abilities, they need to be powerful. Or at least useful. Otherwise, the mechanics becomes a liability, and everyone screams for a F5 unravel which turns your weaver into a classic ele. What’s the point then?

So no, there is still work to do on weaver, but I don’t want a F5.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fade.5904

Fade.5904

Perosnally id replace it with a charged utility much like ‘Twist of Fate’ but evades you backwards then flips over to a leap forward much like Ranger sword 2 (hornet sting?) but using the weaver spin animation.
Removes cripple/immob/slow/chilled.

in Elementalist

Wraistlin.6072

To avoid confusion it should essentially be unravel as it is now, not a permanent attunement like the 4 elements. Just an F5 ability with a large cooldown like the utility skill.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its not a bad ideal but you will have to kind of be giving up things to do it. So no on swap effects and it puts your atuments on a cd. A kind of “i am giving up on being a weaver” button.

Perosnally id replace it with a charged utility much like ‘Twist of Fate’ but evades you backwards then flips over to a leap forward much like Ranger sword 2 (hornet sting?) but using the weaver spin animation.

Its a pirouette not just a spin. Think of weave like a dancer much like tempest was a singer. I love to see more dance aimed animations over time on the sword skills.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fade.5904

Fade.5904

Its not a bad ideal but you will have to kind of be giving up things to do it. So no on swap effects and it puts your atuments on a cd. A kind of “i am giving up on being a weaver” button.

Its a pirouette not just a spin. Think of weave like a dancer much like tempest was a singer. I love to see more dance aimed animations over time on the sword skills.

It’s a Crouching Tiger, Flying daggers spin! :P

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It’s a Crouching Tiger, Flying daggers spin! :P

I was thinking it was a “nop” spin out.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA