Focus. Make some noise!!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

Shorter cast time on flamewall, fire aura reworked, freezing gust a slight cd reduction; gale imo is fine. Comet is fine aswell in my opinion, swirling winds cast time should be reduced and have the ability to break your current channel. Any major changes are highly unlikely. This would help smoothen out the gameplay.

why would you say major changes for focus are highly unlikely? im just wanting to hear your opinion on why is all.

I am a teef
:)

in Elementalist

The Game Slayer.7632

My real beef with focus is the aura CD in fire, flamewall could be soooo much better than what it is now, the CD with Gale, and freezing gusts potential to be much better as well.

I am a teef

in Elementalist

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I think the cooldowns on Focus are overzealous, but I like it as a whole. D/F is a joy to run when I’m paying attention to what I’m doing.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Shorter cast time on flamewall, fire aura reworked, freezing gust a slight cd reduction; gale imo is fine. Comet is fine aswell in my opinion, swirling winds cast time should be reduced and have the ability to break your current channel. Any major changes are highly unlikely. This would help smoothen out the gameplay.

why would you say major changes for focus are highly unlikely? im just wanting to hear your opinion on why is all.

Mainly because i don’t think Anet has the desire to do so, look at how long it took before rangers were able to block with greatsword on the move, they simply haven’t got the manpower to overhaul skills and if they did the elementalist wouldn’t be their priority because in their opinion it’s “fine”, no matter how many sorrowful cries denie; i’m not one of those… Though… I rather hold faith in things i control. I see an obsidian flesh nerf before a Flamewall fix. And i hope to be proven wrong.

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

(edited by Cries Of Sorrow.5864)

in Elementalist

The Game Slayer.7632

Mainly because i don’t think Anet has the desire to do so, look at how long it took before rangers were able to block with greatsword on the move, they simply haven’t got the manpower to overhaul skills and if they did the elementalist wouldn’t be their priority because in their opinion it’s “fine”, no matter how many sorrowful cries denie; i’m not one of those… Though… I rather hold faith in things i control. I see an obsidian flesh nerf before a Flamewall fix. And i hope to be proven wrong.

nerfing obsidian flesh would seriously destroy focus. its the single most reason focus is worth using, sometimes. it doesnt break stun, it doesnt remove condis through traits, it cant give you around 1k health(from regen) and vigor, i see no reason what so ever at ALL to nerf obsidian flesh. the only reason obsid flesh is better than mist form is because you can use skills while in it, shorter CD and a mere 1 second longer. a 1 second which can be negated through still being stunned while activating it. or 4 seconds negated.

I am a teef

in Elementalist

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

nerfing obsidian flesh would seriously destroy focus. its the single most reason focus is worth using, sometimes. it doesnt break stun, it doesnt remove condis through traits, it cant give you around 1k health(from regen) and vigor, i see no reason what so ever at ALL to nerf obsidian flesh. the only reason obsid flesh is better than mist form is because you can use skills while in it, shorter CD and a mere 1 second longer. a 1 second which can be negated through still being stunned while activating it. or 4 seconds negated.

Right you tell anet, hasn’t stopped them in the past from nerfing things without a decent reason: Anti-projectile is what makes focus strong not only obsidian flesh.

Best Ele build EU.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

Magnetic wave is so fun when ranged cast their unload.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in Elementalist

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Magnetic wave is so fun when ranged cast their unload.

It’s a great way to teach bearbow baddies how to dodge.

Best Ele build EU.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

Fire Shield: In addition to the aura, make the user a mobile DoT field equivalent to a Lava Font minus the combo field. Becomes defensive by dissuading enemies from staying in melee range, and an offensive tool vs ranged enemies if used after forcing them into melee range.

Firewall: Significantly increase the damage/burning dealt so that enemies won’t want to cross it casually. Make it undodgeable like static field (damage taken even if a player dodges through it). Becomes area denial via severe punishment to enemies that cross.

in Elementalist

MyPuppy.8970

Well I think originally Fire Wall was designed to be a combo field, thus purely a support skill. But I agree it would be nice to give it a more offensive/defensive utility when you play solo. Maybe make a fire elemental pop everytime an ennemy crosses it. So we could also mess with pets.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]

in Elementalist

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

Well I think originally Fire Wall was designed to be a combo field, thus purely a support skill.

Yes!

It just goes to show how much of a dinosaur eles are. Projectile finishers used to all be 100%.

Some still are since ANet failed to alter traited skill versions like Warrior’s Stronger Bow Strings and Mesmer’s Duelist’s Discipline.

I THINK shots fired through fire fields also added 10% more damage but I can’t remember for sure.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

AFAIK shots fired through fire fields just get a 1sec burning effect.

in Elementalist

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

AFAIK shots fired through fire fields just get a 1sec burning effect.

Oh I was merely reminiscing the good ol’ days. I seemed to forget to meantion beta in there.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Earth is great! Along with swirling winds.

Anyway I have completely random/awful suggestions:

Water
Freezing Gust: Chill target foe and nearby foes. If target foe is vulnerable, that target is frozen (i.e. frost bow #5 skill).
Comet: Maybe just up the damage slightly. If target foe is frozen, that foe takes an additional x damage.

I guess the idea would be to improve the cc of the focus, and allow for a spike with comet depending on the additional damage. I think it’d make using the weapon a bit more ‘fun’ with a justifiable reward if you can satisfy the conditions on the skills. Otherwise, I’d like water to have some form of healing skill.

Fire
Flame wall: Maybe just give it a secondary activated ability that causes damage and blow out on a critical hit or something. Or allow it to inflict torment? Cleanse conditions? Anything to make the skill more interesting or at the very least, make it a bad idea to run through the giant flaming wall lol.
Fire Shield: Errm… condition cleanse? Immunity to burning? Damage reduction….
I dunno. Just anything.

Finally Gale: Could add a secondary activated ability that allows you to leap to target knocked down foe or something and grants swiftness?

These are really awful suggestions, but yeah. I reckon fire, water and gale need adjusting or complete reworking.

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

in Elementalist

Imagi.4561

Fire
Flame wall: Maybe just give it a secondary activated ability that causes damage and blow out on a critical hit or something. Or allow it to inflict torment? Cleanse conditions? Anything to make the skill more interesting or at the very least, make it a bad idea to run through the giant flaming wall lol.

Torment would be a nice addition. Flamewall definitely needs some kind of a boost, as many in this thread have stated. It would be nice if Fire Shield had a little more kick, too, like a +5% damage boost for the duration.

In my opinion, air is the least problematic attunement for focus, but I’d love to see Swirling Winds grant out-of-combat swiftness. I’ve never understood why the damage-focused offhand dagger has a mobility skill, but focus—which is supposed to be utility- and CC-focused—does not.

#ELEtism

in Elementalist

The Game Slayer.7632

Fire

Torment would be a nice addition. Flamewall definitely needs some kind of a boost, as many in this thread have stated. It would be nice if Fire Shield had a little more kick, too, like a +5% damage boost for the duration.

In my opinion, air is the least problematic attunement for focus, but I’d love to see Swirling Winds grant out-of-combat swiftness. I’ve never understood why the damage-focused offhand dagger has a mobility skill, but focus—which is supposed to be utility- and CC-focused—does not.

i agree, as good as swirling winds is, gale can use a large CD reduction and something could most definately be added to swirling winds. make it ground targeted!!!!! or you could make it a lightning field. anything, please. however, fire and water are the most attention-needed attunements at the moment for focus.

I am a teef

in Elementalist

MyPuppy.8970

Count leap as a human projectile, and see them crashing into the swirling wind.

Also, I can remind Fairy Tail manga, with that bad guy who did a swirling wind around the train station: no one could exit the area without being shred to pieces.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Axelifus.3269

Axelifus.3269

Boonburn on flamewall, lower fireshield cd cuz auras r kewl guise, add torment to water 4, lower gale cd, why mess with swirlwinds though?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Truebanana.5936

Truebanana.5936

Twink focus user one hour ago

Truebanana [Opt] Solo roaming D/F Elementalist on Augury Rock
Dolcebanana [Opt] Solo roaming D/F Elementalist twink lvl 60 on Augury Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xj7suly_U

in Elementalist

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

Twink focus user one hour ago

good god. sudden zerg shows up outta nowhere!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tellah.8073

Tellah.8073

funnest thing id do with flamewall in pvp is in d/f, drop earth sig immobilize, burning speed and drop flamewall while charging and if i did it right they were stuck burning in the middle of a flaming cross. looked cool but thats about it.

in Elementalist

MyPuppy.8970

funnest thing id do with flamewall in pvp is in d/f, drop earth sig immobilize, burning speed and drop flamewall while charging and if i did it right they were stuck burning in the middle of a flaming cross. looked cool but thats about it.

Yeah I do that too. Not for the poor damage, but for the sake of aesthetics. I just want my combats to be beautiful and artistic somehow.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Brigg.3961

Brigg.3961

I still think they should add a blind component to the fire aura, similar to the mean little embers in the fire elemental fight.

HoD [STRM]
All classes, level 80
Dropbear Massacre, Necro Main

in Elementalist

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

auramancer d/f ele group ftw!!! nonstop auras!

in Elementalist

Posted by: PlatypusRex.3428

PlatypusRex.3428

Bump for focus love.

Comet instacast, no delay.
Firewall extreme buff in dmg, duration, and burn.
Fireshield – do something with it…please…even cut cooldown in half.
Swirling Winds: Great, but add swiftness.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Empyre.2531

Empyre.2531

fire 4: no idea that couldn’t be found on other skills/weapons ele already got, seems like a pointless left-over from attempted cond ele. Maybe burn boons as others recommended.
fire 5: reduce cd to 25/30s
water 4: aoe
water 5: increase radius
air 4: fine
air 5: reduce kd duration + aoe or add swiftness (10+s)
earth 4/5: fine

fire #4 and water #4 are definitly most lacking and should be looked into by ANet.

[RG]

in Elementalist

Posted by: shockwave.1764

shockwave.1764

I started using focus today and I’m loving it even though many skills are lackluster.

I don’t want a redesign on fire 4. I like having a fire field. Reduce cast time to 1/4 second.
I don’t want a redesign on Water 5. Comet is pretty rad. Maybe a CD reduction.

besides the fantastic skills (air 4, both earth ones) Everything else I’d be happy with a complete redesign.

Shóckwávé 80 Elementalist, Shawk 80 Guardian,
Aolbjorn 80 Engineer | Rank 29
Staunch Evon Supporter

in Elementalist

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Comet is fine I’m surprised people still see it in a poor light.
Gale is also fine, and it be clearer if fire flame wall, freezing gust and fire shield were up to par.

The great forum duppy.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grove.2835

Grove.2835

Focus fire seems to need more of “you come near me you will get hurt” type thing, maybe Fire shield explodes, or just a rework of both spells.
Combine comet and freezing gust to add … a water field or an ice wall?
Earth is fine as is.
Air is ok, would like a cd reduction on gale and a blinding field at the center of swirling winds.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sesundar.3501

Sesundar.3501

Now that got me thinking, perhaps we could have flamewall and dagger 4 synergise with dagger 3. Like when you cast burning speed through a fire field, it’ll cause an additional explosion at the intersection. Not necessarily make d/d stronger because dagger 4 is often used after dagger 3, but it’d make d/f more interesting.

As for fire aura, maybe make it a mini arcane shield? Perhaps not blocking attacks, but explode when it ends.

And my biggest irks of all is not focus, but water scepter skill 2…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

Focus fire seems to need more of “you come near me you will get hurt” type thing, maybe Fire shield explodes, or just a rework of both spells.
Combine comet and freezing gust to add … a water field or an ice wall?
Earth is fine as is.
Air is ok, would like a cd reduction on gale and a blinding field at the center of swirling winds.

Glad some people understand that Fire skills are supposed to do damage.

While I worry it might make Swirling Winds OP, from a conceptual standpoint I love your suggestion for it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: histerico.6153

histerico.6153

How about if they make Swirling Winds a lightning field no other effects just the field. That shouldn’t too op right?

in Elementalist

Leuca.5732

How about if they make Swirling Winds a lightning field no other effects just the field. That shouldn’t too op right?

Its anti-projectile function is one of the only things holding /focus up right now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Air 4 is absolutely amazing. 6 seconds of huge aoe projectile nullification is just really good for its recharge. Honestly Air 5 is in a worse state just because of recharge.

I don’t think focus needs mobility if it actually gets to a point where it can area control efficiently like it should. However, it needs a lot of work to get there.

Air #4 is totally redundant as Earth #4 already reflects projectiles. Air #4 should be a blind (pulses every 3sec) + swiftness and/or lightning field.

IMO focus is totally useless in PVP (read: WVW) until it gets mobility and/or heals enough to make it comparable in effectiveness to /D. /D and /F are nowhere near comparably effective ATM, even with focus’ overpowered earth skills.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in Elementalist

Imagi.4561

Air 4 is absolutely amazing. 6 seconds of huge aoe projectile nullification is just really good for its recharge. Honestly Air 5 is in a worse state just because of recharge.

I don’t think focus needs mobility if it actually gets to a point where it can area control efficiently like it should. However, it needs a lot of work to get there.

Air #4 is totally redundant as Earth #4 already reflects projectiles. Air #4 should be a blind (pulses every 3sec) + swiftness and/or lightning field.

IMO focus is totally useless in PVP (read: WVW) until it gets mobility and/or heals enough to make it comparable in effectiveness to /D. /D and /F are nowhere near comparably effective ATM, even with focus’ overpowered earth skills.

I run D/F, and I don’t find earth and air #4 redundant at all. Earth #4 requires impeccable timing to reflect and has a very small area of reflection, so it only works against single-target projectiles. Air doesn’t have those limitations.

#ELEtism

(edited by Imagi.4561)

in Elementalist

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I run D/F, and I don’t find earth and air #4 redundant at all. Earth #4 requires impeccable timing to reflect and has a very small area of reflection, so it only works against single-target projectiles. Air doesn’t have those limitations.

They’re both pretty redundant when fighting a melee warrior…

I think it’s poor design to double up on anti-projectile when focus completely lacks heals and mobility.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Elementalist

Leuca.5732

Air 4 is significant area defense as it has twice the duration of Earth 4 and affects what is pretty much the entirety of a cap point. Earth 4 has a totally different function in that regard, with its ability to turn defense into significant offense while being focused on only yourself. Ever downed a warrior with a reflected Kill Shot after baiting it out with Swirling Winds?

in Elementalist

The Game Slayer.7632

It would work well with earth 4 and comet as they are blast finishers.

I am a teef

in Elementalist

Leuca.5732

For unnecessary swiftness?

in Elementalist

The Game Slayer.7632

Well it would serve as vulnerability for projectile finishers too. not only that, but it could open up some serious needed group play features.

I am a teef

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

Gale is also fine, and it be clearer if fire flame wall, freezing gust and fire shield were up to par.

People here dont understand the difference on reach of every spell and their range
A ranged knockdown that lasts so much is a pretty good skill.If half of people here tried an actual competitive game lika a moba in their life they would understand things better.
Personally im trying to get the max out of the kit.Flame wall is at least a very long fire field,comet is great on stoping rezzers or stompers and fire shield really really works great when you are getting damage from many smaller sources of damage like pets ,clones,minions etc

in Elementalist

Leuca.5732

Well it would serve as vulnerability for projectile finishers too. not only that, but it could open up some serious needed group play features.

Which the ele only has in earth on S/F and D/F unless running arcane blast.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Lightning fields are great if your allies have leaps

in Elementalist

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

You are aware combo finisher leap is daze right?

The great forum duppy.

in Elementalist

Posted by: histerico.6153

histerico.6153

You are aware combo finisher leap is daze right?

I am aware of this. I just thought that since there are only three ways to create lightning fields it would be nice to have another way to make one

in Elementalist

The Game Slayer.7632

People here dont understand the difference on reach of every spell and their range
A ranged knockdown that lasts so much is a pretty good skill.If half of people here tried an actual competitive game lika a moba in their life they would understand things better.
Personally im trying to get the max out of the kit.Flame wall is at least a very long fire field,comet is great on stoping rezzers or stompers and fire shield really really works great when you are getting damage from many smaller sources of damage like pets ,clones,minions etc

Im not saying focus is bad. I’m just saying, compare it to dagger. why would you ever say water for focus is better than water for dagger. same with air. updraft is a million times better than gale anyday. RTL and winds have their places. Ring of fire is also a million times better than flamewall and fire grab a million times better than fire shield. dont assume stuff, please.

I am a teef

in Elementalist

Imagi.4561

The focus didn’t get any much-needed attention in this latest patch. I can’t say I’m surprised, but it is disheartening.

Some simple cooldown reductions would go a long way in making it more competitive, and making focus users happier.

#ELEtism

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

I’d like to see some interesting utility added to the Focus rather than damage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Truebanana.5936

Truebanana.5936

Im not saying focus is bad. I’m just saying, compare it to dagger. why would you ever say water for focus is better than water for dagger. same with air. updraft is a million times better than gale anyday. RTL and winds have their places. Ring of fire is also a million times better than flamewall and fire grab a million times better than fire shield. dont assume stuff, please.

It’s not better, it’s a different gameplay.

With a dagger your mostly rely on your dps with a bit of very close range control, while with focus you rely on interupt to win.

In a 1vs1 situation, you have 0% chance to win as a d/d against a d/f at equal skill, because the d/f can cover his heal and interupt your 2 times, 3 (without any cast at 1200 range) if he’s an asura.

Truebanana [Opt] Solo roaming D/F Elementalist on Augury Rock
Dolcebanana [Opt] Solo roaming D/F Elementalist twink lvl 60 on Augury Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xj7suly_U

in Elementalist

The Game Slayer.7632

It’s not better, it’s a different gameplay.

With a dagger your mostly rely on your dps with a bit of very close range control, while with focus you rely on interupt to win.

In a 1vs1 situation, you have 0% chance to win as a d/d against a d/f at equal skill, because the d/f can cover his heal and interupt your 2 times, 3 (without any cast at 1200 range) if he’s an asura.

Scrap that asura crap, that has nothing to do with focus and dagger. Gale and comet are very unreliable to be used as an interrupt on an ele who is healing unless its ER. they are both a 3/4s cast. one heal you cant even interrupt since its a signet. you seem to forget dagger has two interrupts as well, and while they may be melee distance, since the only heal that you can rupt is ER you will have time to run up to that other ele and do said rupt.
Not to mention the massive damage and much better mobility dagger has to focus. Fire grab? CE? quake? frost aura? cleanse and heal? If youre saying two ranged interrupts trump two melee interrupts, cleanse+heal, mobility, massive damage, (highest for ele in one shot) and a much larger fire field, then sure thats on you. you can say that. but you look just silly when you do. Dagger is so much more versatile than focus. and yes, its a play style. but when given to players of equal skill the dagger will win every day.

I am a teef