[Guide] Mastering the D/D ele 7/15/13

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

This is my D/D build : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEEQJAoYhMmMbyR2gjDAhCCMe0RIkIe8QDOA;ToAg0CqowxgjAHLOOck4MuYmB

I like it, great in Air for moving about. i have a chance on crit to cause Burning, Vul and Chill to enemies while giivng myself Might and my Crit chance without boons is like 56% roughly so it can happen quite often.

I tend to run with this rotation

Static Aura (Fury) then into RTL and then Updraft and LT i follow that by going into Fire and Popping Arcane Power and start with Burning Speed and SoF to make sure they are burning before going into Fire Grab

Kills some, doesnt kill others. Not amazing burst as some people have but its a build i made for my play style and i enjoy it – play it in all aspects of the game PvE, S/TPvp and WvW

in Elementalist

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

This is my D/D build : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEEQJAoYhMmMbyR2gjDAhCCMe0RIkIe8QDOA;ToAg0CqowxgjAHLOOck4MuYmB

I like it, great in Air for moving about. i have a chance on crit to cause Burning, Vul and Chill to enemies while giivng myself Might and my Crit chance without boons is like 56% roughly so it can happen quite often.

Static Aura (Fury) then into RTL and then Updraft and LT i follow that by going into Fire and Popping Arcane Power and start with Burning Speed and SoF to make sure they are burning before going into Fire Grab

Kills some, doesnt kill others. Not amazing burst as some people have but its a build i made for my play style and i enjoy it – play it in all aspects of the game PvE, S/TPvp and WvW

Not telling you how to play your build, just some suggestions. If you switch to fire during updraft then sig of fire then flame blast you may be able to hit them before they recover. Walking over to them and lightning touch seems to be a waist of time, and time is valuable in this game.

Conversely, if you were to updraft then RTL then LT, it would be a much better combo as you are not wasting time getting to your -p-r-e-y- I mean target (cough). You can also speed up your combo a bit by replacing sig of fire with cleansing fire (however the cd is much longer) but I assume you are going for full precision as with the written in stone.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Not telling you how to play your build, just some suggestions. If you switch to fire during updraft then sig of fire then flame blast you may be able to hit them before they recover. Walking over to them and lightning touch seems to be a waist of time, and time is valuable in this game.

Conversely, if you were to updraft then RTL then LT, it would be a much better combo as you are not wasting time getting to your -p-r-e-y- I mean target (cough). You can also speed up your combo a bit by replacing sig of fire with cleansing fire (however the cd is much longer) but I assume you are going for full precision as with the written in stone.

An option that i choose based on how i feel at the time (lol) is going:
Static Aura > RTL > LT > Updraft Change to fire SoF and Fire Grab

Not sure what Burning Speed is like when close to target pretty sure it moves you past them and thats not really what i want so it really depends on how far Updraft has knocked them back if i use Burning Speed or not

I use LT after i have used Updraft and i am in range – i am not like running half way aross the map or anything lol its pretty much Updraft – walk a few feet forward and now im in range.

I prefer to start out of range with RTL rather then having to run into range have them notice me and attack faster. of course that option and then using Updraft followed by RTL is a solid option as well depending on Play style.

Yeah Written in Stone means i keep the precision and healing on cast even after i have used the abilities. I have been thinking about replacing Arcane Power but not really sure what with. I have a higher standard crit chance and with Static Aura which has like half the cool down of AP i can get upwards of 70%+

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Ive been following you awhile and I just have 2 questions. 1, how do you have 18-19k hp? I use the same setup, power tough vit on all armor, same runes, sapphire trinkets…only difference is I use the karka earring/trinket and dont have triforge (yet). my hp sits around 16k.

Also, I read in a previous post how this build destroys thieves. While that is partially true, its not 100%. This build works well against backstab D/D thieves, but I also play thief using s/d and s/p and I will say they work well against this ele (and all bunker) builds. s/p head shot and sword auto attack are devastating. You stated that thieves only escape is invis and predictable shortbow escapes but that also is wrong. Shadow step is 1200 range and talented thieves use this to run away and come back. While I have not lost to a thief while using your build (thanks!), when I play as my thief I havent even come close to losing to an ele.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Darkchlor.5348

Darkchlor.5348

I would say though the stated advantage of having superior DPS is rather misleading. This build doesn’t have superior DPS. It has a moderate sustained DPS with a focus on defense and healing aka tanky. Like any other tanky-dps/bunker builds you win through attrition and wear people down, which if I may crude, works on relatively unrefined builds and glass cannon noobs. Take this into any serious SPvP setting which is a nice microcosm for duels and small team play (removing the zerg effect) and you will find out how inefficient this can be.

@Azure I have 18,925 HP with this set up: Full Pow/Vit/Tough Armor + Dag/Dag. Koss on Koss ascended back peice. Ancient Karka Shell. Triforge Pendant. Rest are Sapphire Jewelry. All accessories have the exquisite sapphire jewels. This is also using 30 into water.

I’m also debating to whether use the all stat ring from fractals on the elementalist or not. But that won’t change the HP too much.

Dragonbrad: Guildless Solomonk
Sources: Level 80 in all classes (p^^)p
Sources: https://www.ihatebandwagons.com

(edited by Darkchlor.5348)

in Elementalist

Posted by: NdranC.5107

NdranC.5107

Why do you pick Corruption Sigil? Wouldn’t be better to stick to power instead of spreading thin? I don’t know about you but besides vit/healing power, I feel all other stats need to be stacked to max possible to be effective.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Darkchlor.5348

Darkchlor.5348

@NdranC The whole point of this build is to be tanky and to outlast the enemy. The damage output of this build isn’t great, getting a bloodlust sigil or corruption sigil isn’t going to change much at all. The most important stat in this build is toughness with the combination of healing support and bigger than normal health pool. You sacrifice damage for survivability.

Dragonbrad: Guildless Solomonk
Sources: Level 80 in all classes (p^^)p
Sources: https://www.ihatebandwagons.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolf Fivousix.4319

Wolf Fivousix.4319

@daphoenix
Maaaan, you fought… I don’t know, maybe 6 or 8!??? WTFFFF!! I know I can fight 2 noobies now, but 5 good players is WAY out of my league, for the moment…. And, in fact, I beliave you’re probably the only one that can do this kind of stuff as elementalist! AHAHAHAHAH I’m still trying to hold so many boons like you…

By the way I was about to ask how the hell you deselect your target so fast, as I was having a lot of problems using Air 4 and going right back to the enemy ! HAHAHAH That’s very good!

The camera tricks are awesome and extremely dificult to make! I’ll have to practice that in my vacations! HAHAHAH

Great videos! You no longer play sPvP? I’m still having a hard time capturing or holding points with more than one enemy at time, since there’re no obstacles to use my skills through and defend myself from their attacks.

You said that Fire 4 + Earth 3 doesnt work to give aura, but I always get it… Maybe because my enemy is outside of the ring of fire? When they’re inside it realy doesn’t work, as the projectile has to pass through the fire.

// Dragonbrand
Wolf Fivousix – Elementalist
Black Wolf Trading Tool

in Elementalist

NdranC.5107

@NdranC The whole point of this build is to be tanky and to outlast the enemy. The damage output of this build isn’t great, getting a bloodlust sigil or corruption sigil isn’t going to change much at all. The most important stat in this build is toughness with the combination of healing support and bigger than normal health pool. You sacrifice damage for survivability.

That might be true but soldier gear has a main of power. Even in full soldiers you still have the same amount of power than berserker. Although if both are pretty bad for this build, why corruption instead of bloodlust? Cheaper?

in Elementalist

Posted by: daphoenix.4283

daphoenix.4283

@kwak

Boon duration armor isn’t as good for PvP as it is for Wv3 (due to nerfs). Divinity’s runes are always a good choice, although I’m looking into other runes for testing for staff

@yassa
Everyone’s doing FoTM at the moment, so AC would still be best =p

@TGS
I like the 15 air/ 25water variation. Has lots more damage spammability :P

I’m not a big fan of blowing off cleansing fire as an offensive skill
I like your tricks though

@armageddon
your link doesn’t work
Not sure why you would need SoF (signet of fire?) when you have burning speed to proc 1 second of burning for fire grab

@Azure
I use an ancient karka shell. I don’t have any ascended items (don’t got time to farm).
I never really see thieves as a threat (regardless of build), unless there sneaking around waiting for an instagib attack while I’m fighting someone else.

@darkchlor
Yes the DPS is kind of meh.
sPvP is much different than Wv3 (I think I’m rank 16 atm), and I don’t always run d/d. I usually use a couple different weapons during a battle, depending on the situation (D/d tends to provide really mediocre support compared to staff in team fights).

Also in sPvP, I focus more on point control instead of just taking out everyone in sight.

@Ndran
I have hardly any condition damage, a d/d elementalist should utilize all damage types, because in certain situations condition damage is more useful than direct damage (i.e. against many opponents, and heavy armored targets).

@Wolf
I haven’t played sPvP in awhile, but I’m trying to learn how to efficiently use staff now and multi weapon swap(its actually alot harder than d/d when you use fast ground targeting)

Fire4+Earth 3 no longer works for fire aura, although you’ll still see the visual effects and there are no boons.

Excala, Expert Elementalist
Fort Aspenwood [EXC]
http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555?feature=mhee

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

@armageddon
your link doesn’t work
Not sure why you would need SoF (signet of fire?) when you have burning speed to proc 1 second of burning for fire grab

The passive effect, which continues even after the signet is activated thanks to the WiS trait. The added Precision is great for my build.

The Build:

Weapons: Dagger/Dagger
Utilities: Sig Of Rest, Arcane Power, Mist Form, SoF, Glyph Of Ele
Traits: 10/30/30/0/0
Traits Taken: Fire: V, Air:I, IX, X, Earth: III, VI, XII
Runes: Superior Eagle
Accessories: Rampagers

Stats:
Power: 1345
Precision: 2304
Toughness: 1216
Vitality: 1245

Attack:2326
Crit Chance: 70%
Armor: 2136
Health: 14,095

(edited by ArmageddonAsh.6430)

in Elementalist

TGSlasher.1458

@daphoenix
Unfortunately with the gw2skills.net/editor website the armour code in the link has a semicolon and the gw2 forum will say bad link to any site with a semi colon. If that happens you can just copy paste the link

@ArmageddonAsh – “I have been thinking about replacing Arcane Power but not really sure what with”
I would consider removing it from your build unless you use it to get a guaranteed crit on one of your big hitters. Its currently badly bugged and doesn’t give 5x crits, sometimes only 1 (fiery great sword 5 for e.g.). It also doesn’t work with the arcane 30 point talent (gain effects on arcane use depending on which element your in), and the auto one @ 75% hp is even worse, 5sec usually only works on 1 hit.

Signet of lighting is something you could take in its place, instance cast blind as well as some (not much) precision. If you could spare 10 points from air you could also drop into fire aura on signet use and then have access to 4 more auras. I would love that talent if it was gain an aura based on the element of the signet instead of crappy fire aura (e.g. earth sig magnetic aura, fire sig fire aura, etc). Another nice option would be sig of earth, bad passive, nice active. Activate that then churning earth to your hearts content.

Also look at some of the conjures (I’m lying, look only at the frost bow).

Frost bow 5 is a freeze that I don’t think can be escaped by your self (stun breaks) unless your using instant cast aoes (such as cleansing fire) as it must be broken or wait its duration (have to do more testing against stun break). Doesn’t work on stability. Good for finishing off a healer type.

Frost bow 4 is an aoe with a small cast, switching attunement just before the end of the cast will give you 2 sec of fury buffing the damage of the skill. Also covers a decent distance.

Frost bow 3 is an aoe chill, use this at point blank after attunement swapping for some nice damage and a big chill (I like to teleport at them the use this)

Frost bow 2 is alright, a channeled similar to rangers rapid fire skill.

Frost bow 1 = useless 15 heal not effected by healing power

I usually use just 5 and drop or 5 4 3 sometimes 2 then drop. Then I count out the cd on deep freeze and pick it up again to deep freeze again.

The new changes give frost bow healing power and condition duration I think. This only works on the bow summoned, the one picked up off the ground will not apply these bonuses. The frost bow healing power is useless unless you using it to boost your heal or regens a bit (it does not effect bow 1 heal skill)

I love my frost bow, there’s a nice little quirk to using it that I wont mention but you may figure it out if you give it a chop (hint it involves 2 people and 2x frost bow 5s)

There some other quirks with the other conjures, such as 15 sec burn on the flame axe 5. Almost useless in pvp (duration that is)

in Elementalist

Posted by: KwonBiribiri.8140

KwonBiribiri.8140

@daphoenix, Darkchlor
Can you post a screenshot of your stats? Im having the same problem as Azure. Same setup as shown in this guide with Ancient Karka Shell and Bowyers Delight, I only get 17,925 HP. Even if I have Triforge, I think that will only get me up to around 18,300~ HP. Am I missing anything?

in Elementalist

NdranC.5107

@daphoenix

If d/d Elementalist requires balance damage, why don’t you use passiflora jewels instead of sapphire? They have the same stat distribution, but instead of power they give condition damage. Full P/T/V armor+weapons and healing/cond/tough jewels should be an even spread of defense and both types of offense.

I’m really trying to understand. I guess my brain is too used to go all eggs in one basket. Thanks for giving your opinion btw.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolf Fivousix.4319

Wolf Fivousix.4319

@daphoenix

As I get more used to your build I start to wonder some of your decisions, here’s another doubt: Why do you prefer Celestial’s Amulet in sPvP instead of Soldier’s if you use a full Power+Though+Vit in WvW ? I do realize we loose some of our condition dmg, healing and some critical in there, but we get 350 armor and 3k HP.

Edit: Do you use Chocolate Omnomberry Cream, which gives +20% Boon duration?

// Dragonbrand
Wolf Fivousix – Elementalist
Black Wolf Trading Tool

(edited by Wolf Fivousix.4319)

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

@daphoenix
@ArmageddonAsh – “I have been thinking about replacing Arcane Power but not really sure what with”
I would consider removing it from your build unless you use it to get a guaranteed crit on one of your big hitters. Its currently badly bugged and doesn’t give 5x crits, sometimes only 1 (fiery great sword 5 for e.g.). It also doesn’t work with the arcane 30 point talent (gain effects on arcane use depending on which element your in), and the auto one @ 75% hp is even worse, 5sec usually only works on 1 hit.

Signet of lighting is something you could take in its place, instance cast blind as well as some (not much) precision. If you could spare 10 points from air you could also drop into fire aura on signet use and then have access to 4 more auras. I would love that talent if it was gain an aura based on the element of the signet instead of crappy fire aura (e.g. earth sig magnetic aura, fire sig fire aura, etc). Another nice option would be sig of earth, bad passive, nice active. Activate that then churning earth to your hearts content.

Also look at some of the conjures (I’m lying, look only at the frost bow).

Frost bow 5 is a freeze that I don’t think can be escaped by your self (stun breaks) unless your using instant cast aoes (such as cleansing fire) as it must be broken or wait its duration (have to do more testing against stun break). Doesn’t work on stability. Good for finishing off a healer type.

Frost bow 4 is an aoe with a small cast, switching attunement just before the end of the cast will give you 2 sec of fury buffing the damage of the skill. Also covers a decent distance.

Frost bow 3 is an aoe chill, use this at point blank after attunement swapping for some nice damage and a big chill (I like to teleport at them the use this)

Frost bow 2 is alright, a channeled similar to rangers rapid fire skill.

Frost bow 1 = useless 15 heal not effected by healing power

I usually use just 5 and drop or 5 4 3 sometimes 2 then drop. Then I count out the cd on deep freeze and pick it up again to deep freeze again.

The new changes give frost bow healing power and condition duration I think. This only works on the bow summoned, the one picked up off the ground will not apply these bonuses. The frost bow healing power is useless unless you using it to boost your heal or regens a bit (it does not effect bow 1 heal skill)

I love my frost bow, there’s a nice little quirk to using it that I wont mention but you may figure it out if you give it a chop (hint it involves 2 people and 2x frost bow 5s)

There some other quirks with the other conjures, such as 15 sec burn on the flame axe 5. Almost useless in pvp (duration that is)

If the 20point Fire was a shield based on Attunement then it would be great. However losing 10% extra damage in Air or 20% faster recharge on skills and the Weak Spot trait i dont think is worth it for Fire Aura.

Yeah i am thinking about replacing it with Frost Bow, for some range options, Sig of Air is nice as well for the increase movement speed.

in Elementalist

TGSlasher.1458

Yea, I would use the 20 point fire for a attunement based aura on heal sig and signet element based aura (fire sig = fire shield, water sig = frosty aura etc.). Obviously they would need different durations, but atm fire shield is really bad. If it stacked fire duration when near a foe and not just when he attacked it might be a bit better, but with all the condition removal not really worth it.

Edit:> Forgot to add, fire shield is actually a fire aura, so it would add swiftness and fury each time you used a signet.

(edited by TGSlasher.1458)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bradies.5902

Bradies.5902

I’m a mesmer player, hard to kill with a ton of damage and yet I feel I’m at the limit of what my class can achieve for me – even after having tried many and varied builds, refining and developing. As such I’m enjoying reading and watching through your material here with regards to developing a stronger solo character. I just thought I would mention a comment with regards to your statement

“A D/D elementalist is the only class that fully utilizes terrain to its maximum effect.”

With a target locked, phantasm’s can be summoned onto enemies from anywhere within range terrain regardless, and as long as they remain alive will continue to dps for you without you being in the immediate vicinity. (eg. summoning dps to the clocktower sPvP point from the outhouses at the side).The mesmer focus provides amazing terrain control for speeding yourself, slowing enemies and sucking them off cliffs and a mesmer’s portal appears to have no maximum limit on vertical distance so assuming you survive, any cliff or other jump can be undone.

(edited by Bradies.5902)

in Elementalist

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

With a target locked, phantasm’s can be summoned onto enemies from anywhere within range terrain regardless, and as long as they remain alive will continue to dps for you without you being in the immediate vicinity. (eg. summoning dps to the clocktower sPvP point from the outhouses at the side).

Have you not played your Mesmer since the November 15 patch?

• Illusionary Duelist, Phantasmal Swordsman, Phantasmal Mage, Phantasmal Defender, Phantasmal Disenchanter, Phantasmal Rogue, Phantasmal Warlock, Illusionary Mariner, Illusionary Whaler, Phantasmal Berserker, and Phantasmal Warden: These skills must now be cast in line-of-sight of the target. These skills now behave as normal attacks that the mesmer must connect in order to summon the phantasm, and they will fail if the mesmer is blind or the ability is cast on an invulnerable target.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lilium.8950

Lilium.8950

Why is it every time I try to go to one of the build links it is always blank, this is with any link.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LuxLight.4180

LuxLight.4180

Great Guide ! This really has help me be a better D/D Ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackPaw.5948

BlackPaw.5948

Update 3/12

Evasive Arcana: This trait now has a blast finisher while attuned to earth.

so what do you think, better to get EA back to the build??

anyway, it’s still far less effective than before.

(edited by BlackPaw.5948)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kwak.4810

Kwak.4810

“Evasive Arcana: This trait now has a blast finisher while attuned to earth.”

So, I guess that Evasive arcane build is better than Your “Alternative post offensive nerf build 11/15” now ?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Berial.4860

Berial.4860

So, did the runes/insignia’s debate ever get settled?

in Elementalist

Posted by: mattcatt.1038

mattcatt.1038

Just wanted to give my thanks for this brilliant guide, daphoenix! This is what actually got me playing again, and so far (once the build starts to really kick in) it’s a blast.
Still levelling my D/D up using your build (with some minor variations), so I can’t really contribute anything useful yet, but I’ll come back once I’ve “finished” my char.
Great build, great strategies, great videos… really impressive!

in Elementalist

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

instead of dungeon armor sets, I am looking at Knight’s or Valykerie’s Exotic sets. Which of the two would be better for Ele?

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Liliati.6915

Liliati.6915

Hi there Daphoenix do you mind sharing your stats with us? with the AC armor set. I’ve been thinking and if i use that armor set up that you suggested, my critical chance will be ridiculously low but on your videos i see you crit quite often. Thanks in advance

in Elementalist

daphoenix.4283

Sorry I’ve been slow to respond this week. I haven’t been on alot due to lots of wrok

@armageddon

Thats an interesting build setup you got there. Only problem is no arcana

@TGS
I’m a big fan of using frostbows too. Frostbow 5 is a 5 second stun =]

@Kwon
I’ll upload my stats later today when I get on. I’m just running karka shell, and heal+toughness+power accessories. I’m running full PVT AC armor, and AC daggers

@Ndran
I never thought about using that. Those are definitely great stats to have as a D/D elementalist, and having a better distribution of damage types is more useful imo.
Do they come just as jewels, or also accessories?

@Wolf
I actually don’t use celestial or soldiers anymore. I use clerics and berzerkers more often in PvP.

I use mango pies instead of omniberry cream

@Bradies
Mesmers do utilize terrain fairly heavily as well, thanks to all their portaling abilities. I never really thought about using portal and falling off a cliff then porting back up ;S

@mouse
Thats true now you can’t abuse mesmer skills that much anymore

@Lilium
I listed the traits there too. You can always copy paste the link =P

@Blackpaw/Kwak
I’ve been always using Evasive arcana post and pre nerf and then post buff too=P.

@berial
I think boon dura armor is best for PvE and Wv3, but not necessarily PvP

@mattcatt
:D

@rchu
can’t remember what those stats are

@Liliati
Its b/c of the 20% chance from fury

Fort Aspenwood [EXC]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dacromir.6207

Dacromir.6207

Can I make a suggestion here?

Put this guide on the wiki.

Check this out for how it might look. That is a guide to a Thief build that’s very similar to what you have. Mine isn’t quite as in-depth, but still.

As you can see, this puts the guide in a form that’s easier to read and navigate. Additionally, it lets you take advantages of all of the many tools the wiki has. I have all the icons for traits/skills/food/etc. Any time I talk about anything, I have a link to the wiki page for it. So if I’m talking about my trait choice, each trait listed will link to the wiki page for that trait, which has lots of detailed information about it.

You have a fantastic guide here, and putting it on the wiki would make it even better. Feel free to message me here or on the wiki if you’d like help with using the wiki or creating a userpage.

in Elementalist

NdranC.5107

Yeah they are full blown accessories
http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/11533-passiflora-orichalcum-ring
http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/11532-passiflora-orichalcum-earring
http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/11531-passiflora-orichalcum-amulet
Slightly more expensive than clerics, but not by much. I went with the safest choice for my first accessories, but I´ll get this ones next… maybe

PS: Not a big deal but you’ve replied to me like 8 times now and you keep misspelling my name >.>

in Elementalist

rchu.8945

hi,

instead of dungeon armor sets, I am looking at Knight’s (power, precision, toughness) or Valykerie’s (power, vitality, crit dmg) Exotic sets. Which of the two would be better for Ele?

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in Elementalist

NdranC.5107

hi,

instead of dungeon armor sets, I am looking at Knight’s (power, precision, toughness) or Valykerie’s (power, vitality, crit dmg) Exotic sets. Which of the two would be better for Ele?

I don’t know much about offensive stats, but a lot of people that “did the math” think precision is only worth it if you’re also stacking critical damage. I remember someone saying that before certain levels of power/precision/crit-dmg, every point in power is worth 14 points in precision.

Now for Valkyrie gear, the only way i see it working is if you make a build based around Arcane Power (which i don’t think it could be viable), or if you mix berserker gear in it, and complement the lack of full berserker critical chance with permanent fury from auras. Most people suggest 50% critical chance is the sweet spot.

All of this is based on second hand information I’ve read from the forums, can’t really test it myself for now.

in Elementalist

daphoenix.4283

@Dacromir
I’ll look into doing that later maybe =P

@NdranC

There I spelled your name right :P, lol. I haven’t bothered doing the crit damage vs precision math, but its not too difficult. You just need to find the amount of tradeoff in stats you have to sacrifice for critical damage vs precision for items. Set a finite interval for that as critical damage = precision. Then you need to graph it (assuming a constant DPS), with axis interval amounts at whatever you set for critical damage = precision. Then you need to add a 3rd axis showing how much damage you get.

So basically you have 2 axis’s (Critical damage and precision) that affect one output axis (damage). You could do it with a 3d graph(theres probably alot more simpler methods though).

You can also do:
Damage can be simplified as
total damage = base (1+%crit chance(%crit damage)), where % crit chance and % crit damage are x and y variables basically, and Z is the total damage variable. You know there’s a relationship b/w x and y, as items have a trade off b/w item stats. Therefore you can do substitution and have an equation in terms of Z and X. You can then do DZ/DX=0, and find where Z damage is maximum at a given x (crit chance) value, with a corresponding y (crit damage) value.

Yes this probably makes no sense to you, and I am pretty rusty on basic math so this whole thing may be wrong. J

@rchu
Neither. I’d rather have clerics (toughness, healing power, power) anyday over those options.

Here’s an image of my current stats to whoever wanted it. I do not have any ascended items.

http://imgur.com/6Wds5

Don’t forget to check out my two recent videos I uploaded 2 days ago

Fort Aspenwood [EXC]

in Elementalist

TGSlasher.1458

@daphoenix
Frost bow 5 is not just a stun for 5 seconds, you cant use stun break to get out of it, you need a friend to break it (similar to grasping roots). You can lightning flash and teleport still stunned and you can use your stun breaks (but they go on cd and don’t break the ice). This skill shows the ice block animation on stability targets but doesn’t actually effect them.

Also you need to use this at the right time, if the opponent is moving to much it has a tendency to miss with an “out of range” message. Using it on a kd / stunned / imob foe would be best, however, with the cast time of the bow and the cast time of the skill you will not be able to do this with your own kd skills unless the bow is already on the ground and you have counted the time for bow 5 to be off cd (or didn’t use it on your summoned one). Having a friend with the second bow is 10 second ice block if timed correctly.

One more thing that I didn’t mention before due to it probably being nerfed. If you start casting frost bow 5 on a target and then it goes into stealth I have noticed that it will still track them a bit. Not sure if it is the wavy animation the shot has or if it actually tracks the target, need to do some more testing.

(edited by TGSlasher.1458)

in Elementalist

Posted by: ReqX.3178

ReqX.3178

@Yassa, you can buy all exotic gear but legs from karma vendor. See http://dulfy.net/2012/09/08/gw2-templegod-karma-armor-sets/
Alas, you can buy all PVT gear (and daggers) from badges too…

Regarding design: that’s was transmutation is for ;-)

Xefarya – X [REQ]uiem X – Riverside
dangerdoom.3862: We all know your setup by now:
2 guardians, 2 mesmers, 1 warrior and 3 forumtrolls

in Elementalist

rchu.8945

thanks for the reply, if I go for the Clerics Exotic crafted set, what jewelry stats should I go for? I also notice how low my precision will be, should my jewelry items be more offense, like berserker stuff?

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in Elementalist

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

Why isn’t this stickied?

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

in Elementalist

Posted by: Yassa.2193

Yassa.2193

@Yassa, you can buy all exotic gear but legs from karma vendor. See http://dulfy.net/2012/09/08/gw2-templegod-karma-armor-sets/
Alas, you can buy all PVT gear (and daggers) from badges too…

Regarding design: that’s was transmutation is for ;-)

Yep, you are right. I wrote “some gear” because my point was an anti-grinding one, if you take my meaning, and I don’t expect to see ppl having 200k+ karma to buy 5 pieces

Alas, for the casual player to buy something meaningful with WvW badges will take ages with the current drop rate.

Anyway, you are right! Cheers.

in Elementalist

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

thanks for the reply, if I go for the Clerics Exotic crafted set, what jewelry stats should I go for? I also notice how low my precision will be, should my jewelry items be more offense, like berserker stuff?

I imagine zephyr’s boon’s fury buff is doing a lot of heavy lifting on this one.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Splody.2640

Splody.2640

Could you please post your option here? Im having problems with targeting and so on, could you show me your Combat options? what you have marked and not marked. thanks

in Elementalist

TGSlasher.1458

Auto target off, takes a bit to get used to, thieves are quite annoying with this off especially with moves like earth 1, that will miss unless you are trying to aim it.

Melee target assist off, lets you move through your target freely when attacking

in Elementalist

Posted by: JayBarnes.1859

JayBarnes.1859

Quick Question: I saw the armor you suggested at the beginning of the thread, I was wondering whether stacking Condition Damage is a good idea because of the massive amount of burn you can get in fire attunement?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Calli.6309

Calli.6309

When you can, please also post how to counter groups that have necromancers in them. That would be really helpful as they are able to put conditions all over the place and quickly disable the team. Ty!

in Elementalist

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

When you can, please also post how to counter groups that have necromancers in them. That would be really helpful as they are able to put conditions all over the place and quickly disable the team. Ty!

I thought his spec had massive condition removal (pretty much half your actions removed them) and half of that was aoe?

If a d/d ele can’t handle the conditions, your best bet is probably to have mesmers drop null field.

in Elementalist

Posted by: snizzle.6143

snizzle.6143

What do you think about my WvW Spec ?
[img]http://www.abload.de/thumb/gw001jupgs.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/thumb/gw0057np1w.jpg[/img]

This might be very similar to your Build, expect for the equipment.

I use full knight gear + ruby orbs
+5% cirt and sigil of blood (30% lifesteal chance/crit)
Bufffood: 66% lifesteal /crit +70 precision

Btw nice to see someone using the conjured wepons =)

Hixi Pixi – The Elementalist -Asura – Riverside (ger) – (Zornig)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Krulz.6245

Krulz.6245

Noob here, first thank you for this post, now finally I understand some stuff about mages,
But with Renewing Stamina (Arcane VI) and Arcane Precision will not be better to have Knight gear (POW/PREC/THO)?

Thank you!

Krulz – Guardian –
~Piken Square~

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tei.1704

Tei.1704

Noob here, first thank you for this post, now finally I understand some stuff about mages,
But with Renewing Stamina (Arcane VI) and Arcane Precision will not be better to have Knight gear (POW/PREC/THO)?

Thank you!

Arcane precision is one of the weakest minor traits the ele has. Probably one of the weakest traits in general. The chance to trigger an effect is very low and the conditions are short and redundant with what your weapon skills already do. If this trait stopped functioning, I bet nobody would notice. It’s not worth worrying about.

Renewing stamina doesn’t require very high base critical chance to provide permanent vigor. Most dagger eles seem to be using zephyr’s boon, which will provide you with permanent fury. There’s no cooldown on renewing stamina, and eles have lots of aoe/multi-hitting attacks. You can always use soothing disruption to get more vigor. Any boon that stacks in duration doesn’t get any better once you can maintain it.

Using lots of knight’s gear is a viable option, but you won’t see significant return from those two traits.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nephel.9462

Nephel.9462

What would make this build better than say 0/10/20/20/20 in PVE ? I know you talk about pvp and such and would assume these builds are strictly for them.. But from a PVE stand point which would offer the best utility or dps etc.. for a group?

in Elementalist

daphoenix.4283

@TGS

That double timed frostbow 5 sounds pretty op =P. Don’t think its viable as it takes a decent amount of timing and coordination to pull off.

Frostbow 5 can hit invisible enemies, because the mechanics are the same as magnetic grasp. Its just a slower projectile.

@rchu
defensive is the way to go

@Yassa/reqX
I prefer not to waste Karma on gear, when gold can be used to buy them instead or farm AC.

@crewthief
dunno

@splody
http://imgur.com/XHbw0

@Jaybarnes
Its for both burning and bleeding damage

@Calli/plasma
I don’t play necromancer, but I’m fairly certain they can transfer alot of the conditions you put onto them back onto you. Direct damage onto them tends to be favored as their base armor is mediocre.

Try and remove the conditions as you see it coming/ use cantrips/ cleansing flame/ etc.

@snizzle
I like defensive stats over offensive tbh

@Krulz
healing power is a very important stat to have as it dictates how long it takes you to recover

@Tei
Thanks for answering the question

@nephel
You can use the same exact build ,and just alter the water30 trait into “powerful auras”. I do fine in PvE settings, dungeons, fractals, etc.

Here’s my most recent video uploaded today

Fort Aspenwood [EXC]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Krulz.6245

Krulz.6245

Thank you for your answers =), I was looking for a build for my friend, and at the moment leveling an alt Mage and having loads of fun, thank you for this thread.

Krulz – Guardian –
~Piken Square~