I'm leaving GW2 for now, and this is why it matters.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Windowlicker.6019

Windowlicker.6019

After the October 7th changes to the elementalist, I’ve decided to leave the game (temporarily, hopefully). I have not decided to leave the game because I am a rage fuelled keyboard warrior, I have decided to leave the game because ArenaNet have responded very poorly to the trouble our class is having, especially when we consider the priority in which they’re doing things.

Rather than prioritising the MANY bugs and glitches in our baseline skills (the lone thing stopping our class from being competitive / desired), they’ve put the focus on nerfs, poor balancing, and making some skills totally worthless (GoR I’m looking at you).

I could roll another class, I could pick up an ENTIRELY defensive spec, and I could sit here and keep slugging it out, but why? I didn’t roll an elementalist to spec into defense and have gutless damage. I didn’t buy GW2 to be locked into a role, in sub-par PvE content. Infact, I bought into GW2 because we were promised the opposite. Classes were meant to be diverse, capable of all roles, and content dependent on team co-operation and ability. Thus far my dungeons have consisted of mechanics that get me killed in one shot, and in some cases have me literally zerging mobs till i die, respawning, then zerging the same mobs, till the event timers tick over. I mean, really?

I understand that issues take time to respond to, but this is borderline insulting to anyone who picked an elementalist, and this is why I’m posting this.

I’m posting it because what’s going on here isn’t okay. It’s not acceptable in todays MMO economy, and I honestly thought ANet would know better.

Given all this, I’m not going to log on each day, and sink time into a game that is currently receiving such a poor response in terms of bug fixes, and balancing. If a staff member is reading this, get your stuff sorted! I am the 17th person in my community playgroup to leave what could’ve been a truly outstanding MMO.

To other players reading this, don’t bang your head against a proverbial wall and ruin all good hope of lasting with this game, just leave it, and come back later, when hopefully ArenaNet have decided to give it some love.

Temporarily left GW2.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Polluxo.4967

Polluxo.4967

Yes. I agree with everything you said. And I think some of your points can be made for not just elementalist, but all professions, especially in PvE

in Elementalist

Posted by: Syrim.9185

Syrim.9185

I don’t know whether to continue investing time for the legendary weapon on my ele…

Still fun in wvw with our mass aoes but pretty much useless everywhere else atm.

in Elementalist

Windowlicker.6019

I don’t know whether to continue investing time for the legendary weapon on my ele…

Still fun in wvw with our mass aoes but pretty much useless everywhere else atm.

I was roughly halfway towards having mine when I stopped, I feel your feel.

Temporarily left GW2.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Can’t blame you, this class is a nightmare in PvE and worthless in nearly any PvP situation. And to add insult to injury, they nerf the one, tiny, virtually unnoticeable area where we actually succeed in PvP- underwater combat. Why did you have to begrudge us even that single tiny victory?

I’m sticking it out, leveling up alts, and hoping fixes will come sooner than later, but maybe you’re the smart one here…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Having fun and not stopping anytime soon as far as i can see.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sezu.8564

Sezu.8564

What are you even complaining about? Elementalists are amazing. No I’m not trolling. What areas in particular are you having issues with?

Edit – “the lone thing stopping our class from being competitive / desired”
What are you even talking about, I play a bunker staff ele and a D/D roaming ele and I can assure you this class is not “undesirable” by any means. Where are you getting your information?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sherman.4631

Sherman.4631

Same situation has him, there is a huge problem and its seem to be ignored. I really don’t want to start a new character and power level to 80.

We’re out of chicken

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

See ya later. I still don’t understand how some ppl find eles useless on pve and pvp. I excel on both contents killing every class in pvp on 1v1 and surviving dungeon runs as a glass cannon build. It could be my build/traits/weapon set that I see very few using or my way to play or both. My point is eles are very powerful on both pvp and pve.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

(edited by LightningBlaze.4913)

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordXy.4278

LordXy.4278

I feel your pain bro. Instead of Arena Net fixing bugs and glitches that hinders character improvement they focus on nerfing things. Instead of fixing skill bugs, they focus on nerfing skills. It’s funny how they are saying they are hearing out our calls, but then are still doing nothing. I see a lot of elementalists complaining since the release and yet i haven’t seen arena net take action. Sure they promised to buff the D/D class but well, a promise is just a word if not fullfiled.

Clearly those who are saying elems are op in pve / pvp with their glass cannon builds haven’t tried other classes yet. Elementalists are strong in pve / pvp but when compared to other glass cannon classes their like little kids trying to play with the big boys.

in Elementalist

Windowlicker.6019

My elementalist can be “amazing” at surviving, and providing AoE support, given that’s pretty much our only option right now, but it’s certainly not any form of amazing in PvE or PvP when attempting to deal damage, and my experience is having multiple classes at Level 80. To think that elementalists are all around the ball amazing at PvE and PvP, you either haven’t played all the classes at 80, or you’re delusional, or both.

Far and away from this, it wasn’t my main point of complaint, ArenaNets poor response to fixing bugs and glitches in our baseline skills, was the point of my post, and my time away from the game. If you’re not aware of THOSE, then you’ve effectively spoken for yourself, and can take your non-sensical or warranted posts away.

Temporarily left GW2.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

I tried all classes during beta doing only pvp and I found Eles to be the one class aside of warriors to do really good as glass cannon build massive burst dmg. With the thief I can 1-4 shot ppl but that’s boring. That’s why I got my Ele as my main,

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sharpe.1485

Sharpe.1485

I’m with ya Windowlicker – leveling some alts right now and hoping I enjoy one of them enough to become my “main” eventually.

But with X-Com coming out in a couple days I don’t see myself coming back to Guild Wars 2 for a while – hopefully the elementalist will get some love by then.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kuthos.9623

Kuthos.9623

It’s a month into the game. They’ve already responded and said they’re looking at dagger buffs and downed state buffs possibly.

If the Oct. 7th changes made you quit, then this must be your first MMO.

Yes elementalist might be on the slightly less overpowered side. It’ll get some buffs and bugs fixes. But it will remain the same. The highest skillcap class compared to warrior where you faceroll your way to victory. If you want the “easy” class , this isn’t it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

I agree as Elementalists are extremely underpowered in pvp wvsw and die a lot.
Reason is:We DONT deal massive damage at all. it is very poor to be quite honest and the boon duration is way to long even if i switch between all elements constantly to get at least some spells out. how is it that a Ranger or a thief can kill me with 3 shots? Why are the elementals u can summon soo weak and don’t last at all. all the renewals dont work water is sooo weak that u can only heal and u have only 2 spells to do so? i love gw2 though and started a mesmer for now and gotta say i feel actually powerful! Please Anet i would love to play pvp i play wvsw all the time but die a lot while doing so.spvp is impossible for me right now but i will wait and see if anet fixes the weakes class with better trait options more vitality and faster spell casting and all that.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

yes infact sunday i was able to play my ele, on monday i wasn t due to 2 new major bugs that prevent traits to work as intended……

Now tell me if this is a good patch….considering they didn t fix anything but they ruined what already worked……

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cyanide.1726

Cyanide.1726

I was playing PvP today, I was getting so frustrated with how fast I was dieing and the tiny amount of damage I was putting out. These warriors/ranger don’t have to put in half the effort it takes me to kill them. The hardest class to play is the weakest it seems.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordXy.4278

LordXy.4278

I have tried different classes as well and made them reach lvl 45 except of thief which i made it to level 80. All i can say is the hardest classes are elem and mesmers. But in PvP mesmers rocks no matter what build you go into. For elem, the only way to enjoy pvp is through tank/heal build. Other than that it sucks. I tried going for glass cannon, but every class out dps me and also has more survivability so why would I play a glass cannon elem wherein almost every class in game could just out dps me and can survive longer?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mazrem.3291

Mazrem.3291

I think a bigger part of the issue that we have as a whole is the length of most of our casting animations vs the damage they actually inflict. It takes longer to do most of them and while the damage may spike hard in some cases, it spends so much time before actually firing off that you either miss the target, or you could easily outpace it with simpler, faster attacks. Ice and earth are notorious for this problem, but even fire has a couple of spells that do this. The damage either needs to be ramped up, or the effects need to be faster.

Really though, the main problem I have right now is with the decisions Anet is making. Nearly every time I see the patch notes, their answer to a class problem seems to be to ignore it and nerf something else entirely. Why nerf Renewal? I could understand if they reworked it so that it’d be useful for reviving someone from downed if they, oh I don’t know, made it insta-cast? Or at least cut down the casting time to one or two seconds? But to break it completely and to turn it into something so absolutely worthless shows a lack of foresight and a lack of understanding on how their own game actually works. Moreover, there are so many fundamental bugs in place right now that are in need of a proper stomping, and it gets tiring seeing those persist while time is wasted on junk changes like this.

All in all, I feel I agree with the OP. I’m not quitting just yet, but I’m certainly getting very frustrated.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

6/25 players in my guild are still playing or logging in regularly. I’m not one of those 6 and the only Elementalist. Those 6 who are still playing regularly are casuals or completionists, the other 19 are more hardcore. Not looking good for a guild that’s been together for almost 4 years and started the Guild Wars 2 journey from the first beta weekend.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in Elementalist

Posted by: senate.8126

senate.8126

I call both melodrama and first world problems.

Also I like how the relatively benign changes caused yet even more uproar in the elementalist community. Are you guys even playing the same class I am?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

Completely agree. I didn’t roll ele to be a bunker that does no damage at all.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Stronghold.8450

Stronghold.8450

Pve wise i do struggle…it don’t feel right that i tend to avoid mobs rather then fight them because its so painful just to take on 2 mobs.
I don’t even put up a fight in a downed state.. I’m dead before i can even fight back.

At least in WvW i do feel like i can make a difference when defending/attacking..but this is a small part of the game and i do feel im missing out on more.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheWarKeeper.5374

TheWarKeeper.5374

Ill surely get bored of the game if melee range buffs will be the only thing that this class will have, this is an insult to the original Elementalist class in GW1, pathetic the only ranged caster reduced to melee caster.

in Elementalist

Posted by: etherfreeze.6834

etherfreeze.6834

I think people aren’t as upset about the nerfs as they are with the ideology behind nerfing the class. I could understand if any of these mechanics were truly game breaking, or even “really powerful”, but they weren’t. The problem is that we have some real issues that have been completely ignored. The current state of “ride the lightning” is unacceptable. You are PUNISHED for using the skill more often than not. Tornado is useless. Our damage is low considering what other classes can put out if they spec into it. I understand that the skill ceiling is high on elementalists, but even in being competent with the class, we are still pigeonholed into building tanky because our damage is not worth an “all chips in” style investment.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aba.6419

Aba.6419

Im waiting one more patche and Im right with you,

in Elementalist

Posted by: Seraskus.6810

Seraskus.6810

The fact is simple:
Elementalist are supposed to switch attunments all the time. If player is able to do so he can compare with other classes (yet still with twice more efford).

BUT if some player is not keen on attunment swapping and would like to focus on something (for example on support), HE CANNOT.

And the point is that the second group of players (those who aren’t able to/do not like swapping attunments and skills so fast) will always just suck with this class. And I dare to point out that the second group probably outnumbers the first one.

in Elementalist

Posted by: elchulo.3148

elchulo.3148

I completely agree with the OP. Your analysis is spot on. I’m quickly reaching that point too unfortunately.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aba.6419

Aba.6419

Really ?? Again with swapping ?? Serioussly I need to swap often attunments ?? Wow you make my world.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pinkerton.5643

Pinkerton.5643

I don’t normally like playing popular classes, so I was worried initially when Elementalist was the most popular profession pre-launch. But when I learned about the profession’s mechanics, I knew what would happen.
There would be tons of Elementalists, yeah, but most of them would be terrible because it’s tough to figure out the class. The few of us left over would be fine and all those who couldn’t figure it out would either leave the game or swap professions, making my profession a relatively unpopular one.
And what do you know? It’s happening. There are some of us who have figured it out and are doing great but the rest of you guys are just whining and ragequitting.

I can predict the future

O.o

in Elementalist

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

We already know that there are buffs to come, we just have to wait unless we want them to be rushed in and suck. MH Dagger and Downed state are getting worked on. We also know the devs think some of our defensive builds are too strong, and are watching the healing tank bunker ele, and that some of our offensive builds are too “rough”.

Besides, the elementalists are not that bad. You have to nearly master them, “unfortunately”, something you don’t need to do so for other professions, and even then elementalists will feel a bit on the weak side, but you can beat pve and stand a chance in pvp. With a bit more effort, yes. Restricted by only a few (defensive/ condition damage) builds, yes. But those work. Staff is a strong weapon for group combat, but due to the way this game was designed, you won’t notice that in normal pve and casual pvp, unfortunately. Focus feels unpolished, but it is stronger than people give credit for, and gives you better means to go offensively with attributes, as you’ll have more defensive skills. OH Dagger is possibly the most polished weapon we have, IMO, bugs excluded. Scepter is great, but a bit “rough” due to the over-reliance on fire spells hitting and a bit unfocused on water. MH Dagger clearly requires some changes, it attempts to be offensive in all attunements with indirect defense, but sometimes the defense is lacking, sometimes the skills sacrifice your ability to dodge, and overall it could a bit polished.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in Elementalist

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Welcome to the first few months of an MMO’s life. I am sorry that Arenanet isn’t focusing on YOUR specific needs. And I hope you have fun where ever you might end up in. Also I have to say that topics like these are extremely common whenever there is balance in involved. Anyhow, in the future I highly recommend you avoid playing an MMO in the first few months if you cannot deal with the possibility that your favorite class is not a priority.

Ya, the elementalist damage is low compared to every class except the ranger and you know what sucks even more for me? My first 2 characters are an ele and a ranger, but you wont see me quit no. And you know why? because those 2 classes are not going to be forever weak, in a few months or weeks is going to be a distant memory.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

Its not D/D that needs buffing. Actually its one of the few weaponsets that do ok in sPvP

Staff in other hand, does crap ST damage, and the AoE is not better then otehr classes AoE, not nearly as bursty in either ST or AoE as other classes.
And no, it doesnt have more support then other classes.
Neither do i use staff to be support, and nowhere does it say staff is support.
Most of the skills in staff are easily avoided by dodging over or running around.
Most of the ST skills have no homing so the enemy just moves to the side to avoid it.
Most of the ST staff skills travel so slow you can go watch the LOTR triology while waiting for the skill to land

Staff needs a big overhaul to be more viable while roaming in WvW, the skills need to activate faster, the skills need to follow the target more, and a damage increase is needed on almost all skills to be on other classes level.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pinkerton.5643

Pinkerton.5643

Its not D/D that needs buffing. Actually its one of the few weaponsets that do ok in sPvP

Staff in other hand, does crap ST damage, and the AoE is not better then otehr classes AoE, not nearly as bursty in either ST or AoE as other classes.
And no, it doesnt have more support then other classes.
Neither do i use staff to be support, and nowhere does it say staff is support.
Most of the skills in staff are easily avoided by dodging over or running around.
Most of the ST skills have no homing so the enemy just moves to the side to avoid it.
Most of the ST staff skills travel so slow you can go watch the LOTR triology while waiting for the skill to land

Staff needs a big overhaul to be more viable while roaming in WvW, the skills need to activate faster, the skills need to follow the target more, and a damage increase is needed on almost all skills to be on other classes level.

Staff isn’t meant to do single target damage. It’s meant to control, support, or do group damage. If you’re trying to use staff in PvP as a roamer or you’re expecting to be able to win a 1v1 with a staff equipped, you’re doing it wrong. It will (almost) never happen and the game is designed that way.
Also, no homing is an intentional part of this game. It makes dodging actually mean something. There are very very few abilities in this game that actually track the target.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mytheos.7205

Mytheos.7205

@Seraskus and Pinkerton

I do well with my Elementalist, and enjoy it.

However the current state of the class puts it behind the majority of the others in nearly every category.

People are upset, and have a legit complaint, and yes they could enjoy the class more if they could master it….

But the point is you are either delusional or you dont understand that even when mastered it is lacking in many areas vs other classes.

Also one of the biggest complaints is that in order to do DPS you have to go D/D melee otherwise your damage is laughable…

And an Elementalist in melee is a backwards concept by design, we have the lowest HP/Armor, our escapes are subpar, and we have little in the way of mitigation.

In fact out of ALL the classes an Elementalist is the least survivable in a melee combat role.

And by class description, and perception the class is a wizard. You can argue semantics all you want, but people signed up for a Ranged DPS class, not a melee wizard.

And in every game that ever allowed you to be a melee wizard there is always that group that wants to do it, and it causes the majority of players to roll their eyes and it is never as effective….until now in GW2, and it isnt that it is viable, or can be done without ridicule…it is better.

And not just a little better, but a lot better.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

BUT if some player is not keen on attunment swapping and would like to focus on something (for example on support), HE CANNOT.

And the point is that the second group of players (those who aren’t able to/do not like swapping attunments and skills so fast) will always just suck with this class. And I dare to point out that the second group probably outnumbers the first one.

How can you support your team better by staying in one attunement than swapping?

If you go for Condition Damage gear the auto attack of Scepter Earth #1 is about 1k DPS, you’re still able to get Toughness gear and you have almost 3k armor. If you need healing you can swap to water and do a dodge for 1.5k-2k heal and condition remove each.
No “attunement dancing” or “fast fingers” required and still do more than fine in PvE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Burrid.4739

Burrid.4739

I’m taking a break from the game as well, untill ele gets buffed.
Doesn’t matter though, have got a lot of other work I’ve been procrastinating.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

Ya, the elementalist damage is low compared to every class except the ranger and you know what sucks even more for me? My first 2 characters are an ele and a ranger, but you wont see me quit no. And you know why? because those 2 classes are not going to be forever weak, in a few months or weeks is going to be a distant memory.

Did you just seriously say it’s low compared to every class except a ranger? A ranger may have low damage attacks, but they attack at least 5 times faster than we do with a bow.

in Elementalist

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Did you just seriously say it’s low compared to every class except a ranger? A ranger may have low damage attacks, but they attack at least 5 times faster than we do with a bow.

The ranger has more survivability so it does more damage overall by default. But the Shortbow is a single target dps weapon, so I dont really see the point you are trying to drive.

Also l2read I did not say that the elementalist is higher than the ranger and I just implied they both suck. THE END.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

The point is that an elementalist currently has to single target dps most of the time just to survive anyways.

So 5 times faster single target DPS > Elementalist slow casting lame damage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DarkSider.1079

DarkSider.1079

I completely agree with you, but I’m not leaving the game; I just have other characters I’m playing. I think it’s silly I need to play other characters waiting for the elementalist to be fixed. I do realize the system they setup is a very complex one, getting rid of “healers” and “tanks” and all and making each class be able to play each role is very difficult. What I’m saying is I can understand where it may take time to balance things out, though it would be nice for an official announcement stating some intentions on what they plan to fix and such; it’d definitely quell some of the frustration everyone is feeling.

Elementalist was my main in guild wars 1, and the same for guild wars 2, but after playing a theif, warrior, and mesmer, ele is definitely severely lacking. I also don’t understand why they “fixed” something that wasn’t broken before actually fixing the bugs. I’m not their programmer, nor their project manager organizing/priortizing, but it does seem strange. One can only hope the data they’re collecting is helping them fine tune everything. Heard of the saying “it always gets worse before better”, that’s what I believe here. Elementalist is going to continue to be broken further until it’s the priority to fix. Who are we to say “do elementalist before necromancer” or “balance us before the others.” Who knows how they decide, but either way one can only hope we’re not at the bottom of that short list.

In addition, hopefully all the postings here let them know “hey, theres problems, here they are now fix them” rather than completely ignoring them. I can see why they haven’t posted (to avoid the people who only come on here to troll), but an official announcement or a sticky on the forum would be nice. “Hello players, we realize the elementalist has some issues, bugs, and balance problems, we’ll be fixing it soon as we progress fixing other issues in game.” Problem solved and a temporary hiatus to all the trolling and complaints.

I’ve spoken to several other elementalists in game who’ve hit 80, fully geared up, tried several specs, and all of their conclusions follow what everyone here is saying (too low survivability for the amount of damage we do). Hopefully something comes about soon, the game has been out for a month and a half now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

The few of us left over would be fine and all those who couldn’t figure it out would either leave the game or swap professions, making my profession a relatively unpopular one.
And what do you know? It’s happening. There are some of us who have figured it out and are doing great but the rest of you guys are just whining and ragequitting.

Glad you do fine but:

1) I have yet to see your “I do fine” videos like other guys have done (their tangible facts are the best way to convince people eles are not so bad).

2) You do fine and I also do somewhat fine. But why play an high skill cap class just to do “fine”? Maybe it’s just me, but other MMOs also got the high skill cap classes, and the few who could master them were gods in the middle of men.
In GW2? You do “fine”. That’s it. Great reward for pouring in 4 times more effort.

Plus in GW2 switching class is so easy so it’s possible to actually experience that most of the other classes are made around spamming “1”, others “1,2” and another “2, 3 sometimes 4 and 5” for the same effect.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Animosity.5231

Animosity.5231

Our numbers are fine. If everything in my combo lands, the damage is there. Problem is with landing it. For instance, lead off with RTL to close the gap, and usually it won’t get me killed, but will force me to blow CDs as soon as it ends to keep me in the fight. The problems are the bugs and animations/cast times.

Churning Earth can be seen from a mile away. Anyone with a brain will just walk out of the AoE, and watch the circle for when it’s about to go off, and dodge the Lightning Flash. I’ve seen it multiple times from competent enemies. Works nice when entering into a teamfight, though.

Fire Grab has the capacity to crit for 3-7k. More than enough damage, but the CD is ridiculously long, it requires burning (and more and more people are running with passive condition removal which removes it automatically) for maximum damage, has a tiny hitbox/cone, and takes forever to go off. You can’t land it without an immobilize, on top of the burning. And even if you do get a perfect setup, you can still miss. I think it suffers from a similar bug as Heartseeker did not too long ago. The long CD is just diarrhea gravy on top of the crap-potatoes that is the skill. Miss it, and you’re out of any real spike damage for 40 seconds, and it can miss -so- easily.

Dragon’s Fang or whatever it is suffers from a similar problem – too easy to avoid. I’ve been nailed by them for 4k when caught in an immobilize, but again you NEED to combo it in order to get anywhere. Even if you do, you basically have to pray they don’t have automatic condition removal, or active condition removal up to again negate the damage.

Also, our auto-attacks all around kind of blow. Lightning Whip is probably the best on Dagger. 2x hits for 300-500 isn’t terrible, but it seems to miss for no real reason as well, and still isn’t as powerful as, say, Sword on a Ranger, or GS on a Warrior, and all of them are melee range. The Fire AA is terrible. Sure it’s ranged, but if you’re not up in the person’s grill, don’t expect to hit more than one of the fire lines for a measly 200.

in Elementalist

Posted by: elchulo.3148

elchulo.3148

If eles are fine then spec full glass cannon and duel my glass cannon thief and mesmer.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Animosity.5231

Animosity.5231

I’ll duel your Thief, but never the Mesmer. That’s a lesson in frustration no matter how it’s sliced.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningLockey.5938

LightningLockey.5938

I’m with the OP on leaving. Though it is mostly due to a vacation but upon return there are plans for me to make a Charr warrior and convert my [frail]mentalist into a mule.

ANet has to get their head out of their A on the frailmentalist. I’m highly disappointed in how the class turned out as I’ve waited for 2 years to play GuildWars2. Was going to play the first game but didn’t want to be bothered with all the expansions. I’m planning on developing all the other classes and if a year goes by with the elementalist being a frailmentalist I’ll play GW1 until this is fixed.

I’ve already had many suggestions in-game on going to GW1 and give GW2 a year to be fixed if I really want to play an elementalist.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chewie.7389

Chewie.7389

I totally agree. Even if they are focusing on bugs before balancing the classes, they haven’t even helped us much in THAT regard! It’s insulting and frustrating.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vejuz.8290

Vejuz.8290

OP: It sounds like you’re running a glass cannon build. Change this immediately and you will do far, far better. The strength of the elementalist class is that we can do just about everything at any given time: damage, boons and conditions can be spread like crazy with far less effort than other classes. We excel when we do a little bit of everything, and when you spec for that you see the true power of the class.

in Elementalist

Windowlicker.6019

Some of the responses here made me laugh. If you READ (Look at all the words, digest them properly) my original post, you’ll see the reason I specified for leaving is the manner in which ANet have prioritised “fixing” our severely bugged class. I can attunement swap, I have it “figured out”. I can bunker, I can survive, I can pertain. The simple fact is, I didn’t roll this class to do those things, and the manner in which ANet are reaching the level the class should be on is wrong. No, this isn’t my first MMO. No, this isn’t fanboyism, loyalism to another company, or an attempt to incite useless politics. This is my reason for leaving the game, and I feel it’s important enough that it needs to be brought to light.
If you cannot read, and cannot comprehend why it’s important that people notice this being a reason to leave the game, then simply don’t comment. It’s clearly gone over your head. Just remember, for every person like myself, who posts their rationale behind leaving the game, in hope that others see it, and something is done, their are thousands that are likely to get profusely frustrated, and just leave. It’s all well and good to say it’s only a month in, etc etc, but the reality is in todays MMO environment having so many things flunked 1-Month into your release is a big problem. Gone are the days where people will wait several months for things to get in order, most impatient players won’t time-out and come back like I will, they will drop it, and head straight back to WoW, because it is absolutely polished to a shimmer.

Pinkerton, STOP COMING INTO THREADS TELLING US HOW GREAT YOU ARE. You have provided ZERO proof, and no one really cares. I’ve been told by many I play with that I’m one of the most capable elementalists they’ve grouped with, or played with, but again, we digress, because this has NOTHING to do with my first post. Also, if you’re honestly of the mindset that people leaving your class in large amounts makes you a shining star, then the real issue has gone over your head, and that’s people leaving the class (possibly the game) in large amounts.

Given the new information that ANet are now going to be setting up their top tier PvP as a Paid Entry system (Can you imagine the outrage if Blizzard charged you to play high tier Arenas?), I really think this should be more of a concern to more people, but hey, if you’re in here pulling out lines I never actually wrote trying to whittle this down, then you’ve probably missed the general scope of the issue.

Temporarily left GW2.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I’ll endure it to 80, get my 100% World Completion on that character as well, then just play the other professions in the meantime. I do understand your frustration however, since I rage more than ever when I play on Elementalist. It’s not a single day on Elementalist, where I ain’t screaming “What the kittens was that! KITTEN!” at my monitor.

To be fair, there are certain enemies I can really demolish with D/D starting with Air; 4 → 5, switch to Fire; 4, dodge back, 3 → 2, use Arcane Wave while channeling → 5. That can destroy groups of 2-4 enemies quite effectively. But there are other enemies, and quite a few of them, that will demolish me instead. The profession do have parts of the cannon, but even with Toughness built into the spec/gear, the glass seems to be very prevalent.

I enjoy playing Elementalist, but at the same time I hate it.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest