Is Staff Earth #2 What It's Supposed To Be?

in Elementalist

Posted by: zetherin.8372

zetherin.8372

Q:

I’m sure it’s been asked before but after searching the forums yielding no clear answer, I’m wondering if this skill is exactly what Anet intended for it.

It seems that the only feasible use for the ability is to throw it down ad then switch to another element and throw a field on top and wait for the combo. But that can’t really be what it was intended for right?

What’s the deal with this skill?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Im Too Godlike.5629

Im Too Godlike.5629

I use it as a combo finisher and spiker. lay this down and switch to fire with lava font for some solid damage (provided u have some sort of cc)

in Elementalist

Posted by: chanw.1934

chanw.1934

the damage (raw and conditional) from this skill is pretty good combined but only on idiot or immobile opponent. Or in the middle of a huge zerg fight where ppl just couldn’t pay attention to it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Isila.2574

Isila.2574

Earth 2 does a pretty decent chunk of damage when it explodes, and puts up a hefty stack of bleed which does a lot more if you’re specced for condition damage. That said, its primary use is as a blast finisher for combos, so yes, the idea is that you drop it and then flip to another element (usually Fire) to lay a field over it so that the combo finishes when it goes off. Handy for doubling up on Might/Swift/Regen AOE bursts with Arcane Wave, or even triple-taps with Evasive Arcana.

If your concern is that any enemy that’s not remarkably stupid will just move out of the big obvious mound of rocks, well, welcome to being an elementalist.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Aside from being a combo finisher it’s also one of the hardest hitting skills of an Elementalist. With Condition Damage gear one hit of it deals 6k-8k damage without the need to go glass cannon, and in PvE most foes are not smart enough to actually avoid it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sharpe.1485

Sharpe.1485

It’s one of the good spells in staff for PvE, but sadly useless in PvP – good damage, finisher and 6 bleeds on it.
(it can sometimes hit distracted people on keep walls, but that’s about as useful as it gets)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

Aside from being a combo finisher it’s also one of the hardest hitting skills of an Elementalist. With Condition Damage gear one hit of it deals 6k-8k damage without the need to go glass cannon, and in PvE most foes are not smart enough to actually avoid it.

I’d really like to know how often one gets “6k-8k” out of that and churning earth.

I have been totally condition spec (before I got tired of the pathetic and cleansable damage) and I have seen 4-4.5k TOPS and rarely.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

I’d really like to know how often one gets “6k-8k” out of that and churning earth.

The damage of Eruption comes from the conditions, not from the hit itself. The hit itself rarely deals a four-digit number of damage.