Is this class worth playing

in Elementalist

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Tempest might not be popular from playstyle and ele ist more difficult then other classes but it´s not garbage and i enjoy it.

That the thing they made it op like most of the elite spec that the only reason why its not garbage. They gave tempest too much dmg when it should be nearly a pure tankly support class. They effectually killed the core class by making a ele +1 out of tempest. There is nothing specialization about tempest.

That’s true for most of the elite specs. And honestly, I find zero reason thematically for Tempest to be tanky/supporty spec. Everything in the name screams “maximum damage”. Same for the chosen name of the mechanic, by the way. Overload? Dangerous and destructive. Definitely not supportive or protective.

The support potential exists, of course. But it has always felt to me like something artificially strapped onto the specialization rather than a natural part of it. Maybe somewhere along the way of creating it the devs realized they want the class to have some application in PvP and the mode simply doesn’t work with full glass builds.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

That’s true for most of the elite specs. And honestly, I find zero reason thematically for Tempest to be tanky/supporty spec. Everything in the name screams “maximum damage”. Same for the chosen name of the mechanic, by the way. Overload? Dangerous and destructive. Definitely not supportive or protective.

The support potential exists, of course. But it has always felt to me like something artificially strapped onto the specialization rather than a natural part of it. Maybe somewhere along the way of creating it the devs realized they want the class to have some application in PvP and the mode simply doesn’t work with full glass builds.

Yes nothing in the spec fits the theme of a “Tempest” (which is defined as a “violent windstorm”). Just check WoodenPotatoes video on it.

What is “tempesty” about “I shout rebound and recover health of my allies if they take a killing blow or give them a little aura effect” or the “Tempest that washes the pain away with a slowly rolling waves from a center”

ANET doesn’t want to admit it, but most likely Tempest was going to be a damage dealer spec that would focus on DPS, but somewhere along the lines people thought that making a healbot/support class would be better.

But then they realized that a pure support class would be awful for the new content as it would not be able to explore the new content without clinging on another ally – so they haphazardly gave it DPS and from then it just became a mess and without time or ideas to fix it they shipped it off hoping it would be passable.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Yes nothing in the spec fits the theme of a “Tempest” (which is defined as a “violent windstorm”). Just check WoodenPotatoes video on it.

I disagree, the core mechanic of the spec fits perfectly.

ANET doesn’t want to admit it, but most likely Tempest was going to be a damage dealer spec that would focus on DPS, but somewhere along the lines people thought that making a healbot/support class would be better.

I just said that, along with a reason for it.

But then they realized that a pure support class would be awful for the new content as it would not be able to explore the new content without clinging on another ally – so they haphazardly gave it DPS and from then it just became a mess and without time or ideas to fix it they shipped it off hoping it would be passable.

I disagree here again. First off, we have an elite spec that’s pure support – the Druid. And it has been meta pretty much since it was released. There is no problem in creating pure support specs.

Second, how can you think the DPS came as an afterthought? The DPS in Tempest come from it’s core mechanic. This isn’t something you add in the last moment. It’s something you start with. The DPS was always there, it’s the support that got patched in.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Invigorating torrets was patched in and i immidiatly thought oh my, very bad decision. Heavy water synergy making this mandatory support …. There was much complaning about tempest and low usage and then someone brought torrets as easy sollution trowing diversity in the process to keep up with the power creep from others …

Imagin tempest without torrets…. (And maybe with an offensive trait instead and -20% shour CD on aria …)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Core ele need to be fix badly but if you do not mind being pigeon hold into a roll and willing to pay money for the expiation then its worth it.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kir Sakar.3647

Kir Sakar.3647

Invigorating torrets was patched in and i immidiatly thought oh my, very bad decision. Heavy water synergy making this mandatory support …. There was much complaning about tempest and low usage and then someone brought torrets as easy sollution trowing diversity in the process to keep up with the power creep from others …

Imagin tempest without torrets…. (And maybe with an offensive trait instead and -20% shour CD on aria …)

I don’t get the complaint… Invigorating Torrents is one of three traits, the other two (Tempestuous Aura and Unstable Conduit) are perfectly offensive.

Charr Chronomancer | Asura Tempest | Charr Druid | Charr Guardian
(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

in Elementalist

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

At least in PvE power dps means Tempest 80% of the time. Guard, thief, engi are really good as well but Tempest is still the most popular. The only thing that changed is that Tempest is no longer the god of dps and more classes are competitive.