[PvE] Churning Earth needs a buff?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Now, I know this has been asked a lot of times but since it hadn’t happened yet. Here we go.

I don’t know how useful this skill is in PvP because I don’t play an ele there but in PvE, I think it’s basically undeniable that this skill is underperforming. I don’t think I need to go through why but it’s basically a high risk low reward skill that doesn’t justify its cast time.

I’d say it either needs a cast time reduction (to approx 1.5-2 seconds), or a damage increase (to about 5.5-6), benchmarking it to either lightning whip (for opportunity cost reasons) or 100b (similar in mechanic: stationary channel, but CE’s damage is fully backloaded, and has a higher cool down, so needs to be somewhat compensated).

Also personally, it’s not a balance issue but I would really like this skill to return back into a charged attack instead of being channeled. Charged attacks is just such a cool mechanic which for some reason is rarely seen in actual gameplay. For those who don’t know, CE was a charged skill in back in beta, and was changed to a channel in live, and we never got the reason for that.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

in Elementalist

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

I don’t know what are you talking about, only a few mobs can evade.

But Imo the casting could pull enemies in the area towards you, like a 80-120 units pull per second, and unblockable. Cast time is the same.
Pretty much the same effect the champ in Statuary has.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xtinct.7031

Xtinct.7031

I think a cast time reduction would be most useful for both pve and pvp.

in Elementalist

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Let me tell you something – ANet do their balance based on PvP and I’ve seen some eles pulling mad tricks with CE in there, I highly doubt they’d buff the skill even though it’s indeed useless for PvE. Least that could happen in my opinion is that they’d nerf it just like any other burst damage skill we have.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

in Elementalist

Xae Isareth.1364

I don’t know what are you talking about, only a few mobs can evade.

But Imo the casting could pull enemies in the area towards you, like a 80-120 units pull per second, and unblockable. Cast time is the same.
Pretty much the same effect the champ in Statuary has.

It’s a DPS loss in almost all situations, even with the blast finisher accounted for. A 3-4 second delayed heal isn’t exactly useful, so the only thing you’re gonna blast is a fire field.

A DPS skill which doesn’t pull it’s weight in DPS is the very definition of ‘this needs a buff’.

in Elementalist

Xae Isareth.1364

Let me tell you something – ANet do their balance based on PvP and I’ve seen some eles pulling mad tricks with CE in there, I highly doubt they’d buff the skill even though it’s indeed useless for PvE. Least that could happen in my opinion is that they’d nerf it just like any other burst damage skill we have.

The only way you can land CE in PvP is with a teleport. A skill which requires am utility to make it work just doesn’t sound right.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

The only way you can land CE in PvP is with a teleport. A skill which requires am utility to make it work just doesn’t sound right.

a lot of skills r like that, 100b needs immob or knockdown

dragontooth

etc

(no dragontooth is fine the way it is, doesnt need ground targetting(saying cause i am pretty sure someone is gonna bring tha up))

its mostly about comboing skills so they can hit

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Elementalist

Xae Isareth.1364

dragontooth

etc

(no dragontooth is fine the way it is, doesnt need ground targetting(saying cause i am pretty sure someone is gonna bring tha up))

I would argue that with the warrior’s tanky nature, 100b is pretty effective as a area-denial, and with the fact that it’s damage isn’t completely back-logged but pretty evenly spread out, there’s no need to absolutely land the full cast.

With CE, there is just one specific way to use it.

And the most important problem is that in PvE, even if you do land it, what’s the point? It’s a DPS loss.

What they could do if they really don’t want to change anything is to just make it blast at the start instead of the end. That way, it can at least be used as a quick blast finisher in PvE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

dragontooth

etc

I would argue that with the warrior’s tanky nature, 100b is pretty effective as a area-denial, and with the fact that it’s damage isn’t completely back-logged but pretty evenly spread out, there’s no need to absolutely land the full cast.

And the most important problem is that in PvE, even if you do land it, what’s the point? It’s a DPS loss.

What they could do if they really don’t want to change anything is to just make it blast at the start instead of the end. That way, it can at least be used as a quick blast finisher in PvE.

i was just replying to the guy mentioning pvp

in pve there are a lot of skills that just make u loose dps, idk why u r actually complaining

in pvp CE is devastating in some rare situations, while in pve its just a dmg loss, ppl use it in pve for pre might stacking in my experience

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Elementalist

Xae Isareth.1364

dragontooth

etc

i was just replying to the guy mentioning pvp

in pve there are a lot of skills that just make u loose dps, idk why u r actually complaining

in pvp CE is devastating in some rare situations, while in pve its just a dmg loss, ppl use it in pve for pre might stacking in my experience

When a skill makes you lose DPS, it usually has some sort of other use or utility purpose by design. Like cone of cold for example, terrible DPS loss, but it heals.
Not a very good heal, but it heals, the notion is there.

If it just makes you lose DPS and does basically nothing else, then there’s something wrong. I don’t think the developers ever intended for CE to be only used as a thing you give 3 stacks of might with in PvE, so something isn’t right.

Also, it’s design is very odd. Normally, say, in 100b’s case, the risk of standing on the spot is compensated by higher DPS; and in most games, if a skill needs a huge charge-up to use, it ends up being higher DPS than if you used some sort of a benchmarking skill, again, to compensate for the extra risk involved.

CE does the opposite. And it just doesn’t make sense.

in Elementalist

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

When a skill makes you lose DPS, it usually has some sort of other use or utility purpose by design. Like cone of cold for example, terrible DPS loss, but it heals.

And why isn’t a CC PBAoE a good reason to use the skill?
You can gather mobs spread around to burst them in a corner, you can remove 3 statcks of Defiance, pull the mobs away from a NPC, etc.

in Elementalist

Xae Isareth.1364

And why isn’t a CC PBAoE a good reason to use the skill?
You can gather mobs spread around to burst them in a corner, you can remove 3 statcks of Defiance, pull the mobs away from a NPC, etc.

It is a good reason, but that suggestion would change a lot of the skill’s functionality.

in Elementalist

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

I tend to call this synergy. I’m not saying lightning flash is useless on its own, but it has clear synergies with CE. All in all it feels right to me.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

in Elementalist

Xae Isareth.1364

Well, look at it this way. Burning Speed and Firegrab is a very strong synergy but the 2 skills by themselves are also individually useful.

Churning Earth has precisely one way to be used against a competent player.

Anyways, this is very much deviating off the point of this discussion. The point was that CE is just useless in PvE in any situation apart from the initial might stack.