Ride The Lightning bug

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Ele skill “Ride the lightning” has been broken since its implementation was changed shortly after release. It frequently (almost always) overshoots, even on stationary targets, which leads to the usual followup spell “Updraft” often missing.

This is gamebreaking if/when trying to play ?/D Ele. It’s even worse when trying to updraft a moving target.

The first 2 clips are in WVW, the 3rd is in PVE. I play from Australia on a fast connection. The extent of the overshoot seems to correlate with increasing network latency.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

You might want to change the title of the thread, the video title, the video description to say “Ride The Lightning” rather than “Lightning Flash.”

They are completely different skills.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

scerevisiae.1972

Yep. What a nub.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: Elspeth Tiriel.9243

Elspeth Tiriel.9243

Try going into options and toggle on > Melee attack assist.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

Also, sometimes autorun -> RTL -> autorun no longer works – if you use RTL purely as mobility skill.

this bug annoys me since beta… and it’s not with just autorun, but if you keep holding the movement key, it just stops working after RTL, so you need to release it and push it again…

btw this belongs to the bug forum section, not elementalist…

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

scerevisiae.1972

as shown in the video, RTL overshoots for me even on a completely stationary target.

the skill implementation is totally, totally broken.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It was working fine before all the nerfs. The class has been neglected so much that the bugged skills never got fixed and we have no good elites.

They also forgot the the extra range they initially gave the skill was meant to compensate for the lag. Now often you will use rtl and end up behind the skill default distance if there is any sort of zerg nearby.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

scerevisiae.1972

It was working fine before all the nerfs.

It was broken by an implementation change that occurred a few months after release, and has never been fixed.

This is why GW2’s B2P model is broken — once they have your money, they stop caring. At least with a sub, they have to earn your money each and every month.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

scerevisiae.1972

bug still exists, any ETA on a fix?

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

It’s called lag, and not just client side but server side. There’s no prediction done in any way, shape or form.

When you use X skill against Y target, even though you don’t see it (other that when the gfx glitch) you are actually running over and attacking the target. With the high movement speed and given our (I’m in West Aus) lag, by the time you are within range of the target you are actually already past it, so the server response is too delayed to put you in the right location.

It always amazes me seeing youtube videos of players with <300 ms pings manage to RtL→Updraft and return BACK to their original position. In my experience, even if RtL doesn’t go past the target, immediately using updraft will always place you on the far side of the target even further away.

n.b. it’s not just RtL. For the longest time I thought the Warriors Rush (GS #5) skill always travelled the full 1200 distance. Only after some time did I realise it is supposed to stop at the target before swinging.

I dunno.. it used to be better, but I believe that was before any mega-servers or map commander tag spam that now slows the entire games responsiveness down significantly.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

scerevisiae.1972

it’s clearly due to latency (lag), but that’s besides the point. the point is their implementation sucks. the position of the target is known at the beginning and end of the animation and at every tick, there’s no excuse for an implementation that overshoots a fully stationary target, that’s just kitten coding.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

it’s clearly due to latency (lag), but that’s besides the point. the point is their implementation sucks. the position of the target is known at the beginning and end of the animation and at every tick, there’s no excuse for an implementation that overshoots a fully stationary target, that’s just kitten coding.

where is your degree in kittening coding

Bad Elementalist

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

scerevisiae.1972

where is your degree in kittening coding

well, i’m a 15 year software veteran who, up til last year was a snr server programmer for wargaming. so i know a few things…

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Try going into options and toggle on > Melee attack assist.

That’s not the best shot in a free-cast scenario. Ideally you run without auto-targeting and without melee attack assist.

Also I completely agree with OP:
- RTL overshoots
- RTL lags and ports you
- RTL disables auto-run

Each of those is common and very annoying.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

scerevisiae.1972

This bug still exists.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

I just use lightning flash if i want something to hit. it’s that bad :<
i’m that bad :<

@thread, yeah fix plx

Ele / Guardian

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

scerevisiae.1972

@Anet are you ever going to fix this?

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

scerevisiae.1972

Another 10 months pass with no fix in sight.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

Give it up unless as Anet will be only buffing Shatterstone until the day the game totally dies /sarcasm.

Nah. Seriously, I hope this gets fixed along with RtL cooldown. I’m tired of playing a healbot and I’ve been playing offhand dagger for fun again and it seriously needs buffs.

Ride The Lightning bug

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I have a totaly easy fix. No more targeting or other problems …

New RTL:
10 seconds superspeed on 30 seconds CD ….

Would open great options.