The Officially Unofficial Manifesto to the Elementalist's Past, Present, and Future

The Officially Unofficial Manifesto to the Elementalist's Past, Present, and Future

in Elementalist

Posted by: GuardianHope.8145

GuardianHope.8145

As you can probably tell by the sarcastic nature of the thread’s title, this post will obviously outline the nature of the Elementalist’s development as it has been so far. Remember, apparently Areanet is interested in letting the “meta” develop and “fixing” all the bugs that this lovely little game we play has to offer. Without further ado, I present to you the officially unofficial manifesto to the Elementalist’s past, present, and future. I would like to say that this came off the presses at Areanet but sadly it’s all my own.

I, of course, write this in jest but I’m sure after today’s patch that people are really starting to feel that this is the path the Elementalist is headed down.

Feel free to add your own “fixes” to the list.

Elementalist
General

• Identify class as the spell caster MMO archetype. Then, instead of doing high DPS for low survivability do low DPS for low survivability!
  • Addendum to the above: it’s all the glass without the cannon!
  • Identify complaints with the class on the Guild Wars 2 forums that the players want fixed. Then, do the opposite.
  • Add warning when selecting this profession in character creator: “We will challenge you. We will test you. We will break you. Should you succeed in our trials we will nerf you. We will nerf you until you are begging on your knees. Then we will nerf you more. This is hard mode. Not a fair hard mode. A hard mode that you will not win at. Muhahaha.”

Skills

• Remove Fire 2-5, Water 2-5, Air 2-5, and Earth 2-5.
  • Change Fire 1 to “Deathly Inferno.”
  • Deathly Inferno will result in your character being engulfed in a fiery inferno resulting in immediate death. Has chance to burn foes. Not too much though. That would be overpowered then. Has a 16 second cooldown – we can’t have the Elementalist outperforming any other class at fiery death’s after all!
  • Change Water 1 to “Tsunami of Almosts…”
  • Tsunami of Almosts will result in your character creating a tsunami tidal wave that will engulf the area. Has no effect on enemies. Heals allies but not too much. Provides invulnerability to all allies for 8 seconds. Results in character death from drowning. Has 45 second cooldown – you know, because otherwise you would be less useless!
  • Change Air 1 to “A Hundred Bolts”
  • A Hundred Bolts upon activation will result in a lightning storm forming over the entire area. These bolts do critical instant kills and targets enemies and allies. Accuracy rate has been adjusted to negative percentiles (yes, we divided by 0!). It will never hit an enemy or an ally. However, did I forget to mention that it has a 99.9995 percent chance of killing the caster? Oh, I didn’t? Oops. Otherwise it’d need to be nerfed and called a “bug fix.”
    *Change Earth 1 to “A Thousand Stonings”
  • A Thousand Stonings once activated will result in character death by instantly teleporting a thousand allies to your location via a Mesmer teleporter. It grants said allies one stone of earth to throw at you. Upon completion of the skill all who participated will receive a dynamic event reward. Cooldown is one day. Use of this skill results in the diminishing returns system to activate on all players teleported to the area. This is to avoid any player from earning anything meaningful in the game without grinding for a thousand days.

Utility Skills

• Remove all utility skills and replace them with the following: “Glyph of Nerf Harmony,” "Arcane Shield of the “Elementalist Takes Skills” Players," “Arcane Blast of Learn to Play,” and “Glyph of Elementalist Can Outrun Centaurs, Thieves, Warriors, Mesmers, and Guardians.”
  • Note on the above: Don’t know what the above does? Learn to play!

Elite Skills

• Nerf for no reason when needing to fatten up the “bug fix” list. Just pick a skill and nerf!

Other

• Let the META develop and say the Elementalist is “balanced and fair like Fox News.”
  • Since the Elementalist is not a bug laden profession, nerf everything that works and call it a “bug fix” that was needed to “balance” the perfectly balanced game that is called Guild Wars 2. Remember, it isn’t fair unless the enemy mob can one shot you or you must press 20 buttons when fighting something as simple as a Moa!

BLTC

• Add “Elementalist Survival Package” to the Black Lion Trading Company. For the low, low price of 4,000 gems, this one time use item from the Black Lion Trading Company will allow you to change your class to anything other than the Elementalist will still retaining the title and skills of an Elementalist. This means that you can have the fun of both worlds! Want to do something in one or two buttons? We have it covered. Want to press sixteen buttons to do what takes everyone else two so you can call it “skills”? We have it covered too! Available today!
Jade Quarry
BWE – Present

in Elementalist

Posted by: Auroma.9126

Auroma.9126

inb4 somone who plays Theif will come here and tell you to “learn to play”. I found your post quite hillarious, as someone who played Elementalist since day 1 of pre-purchase launch I see some truth in the message you are giving.

Just to give people a prespective, here is the official description of Elementalist:
“Elementalists are multi-faceted spellcasters that channel elemental forces, making fire, air, earth, and water do their bidding. What they lack in physical toughness, they make up in versatility and the ability to inflict massive damage in a single attack.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

That last sentence should read “They lack physical toughness. Period.”

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

>massive damage in a single attack
I would love to know what spells that does massive damage. Or hear the definition of massive.
I am not complaining about the class being weak though. The correct word would be decent damage with a lot of spells

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Epicninja.8429

Epicninja.8429

massive damage? like mabye, kill shot, umm Eviscerate, uhh heartseeker, am i forgetting any other skill that doesnt belong to elementalist?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Up until the latest patch, it used to be Whirlpool…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

I found this to be an awesome post. Made me laugh… and sadly also very true. I’m convinced that there is a department in Anet specifically for making the elementalist a terrible class. They do a great job.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Slithan.4380

Slithan.4380

This is great, OP. I laughed heartily. Till I cried over my elementalist.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Talsi.1469

Talsi.1469

Great post, funny yet sad at the same time.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

in Elementalist

Posted by: Runningwild.4692

Runningwild.4692

Funny, ty!))

Desolation – EU
The Expendable Horde [ExH]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laivine.9308

Laivine.9308

I laughed so much with this post, because of how terrible the class is and then cried too, for all the time and gold I have invested in it, waiting helplessly that they will manage to make it work somehow. Instead Elementalist is getting even more useless with every patch.
Thanx OP, great writing!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Niji.8034

Niji.8034

Laughed and cried too. Great post, especially all those “kill yourself” attacks xD You’ll be killed by the mobs either way, so why not kill yourself? You’ll make the live of the mobs so much easier :’D

No, I’m really sad about the recent patch. I’m the kind of palyer who plays with just one charakter and I’m loving my Sylvari Elementalist so much, I won’t start another class. I just hit the 80 a week ago. I guess I have to live with it and I’m crossing my fingers for the next patch. I’m not hoping for any improvements. Just… don’t make the Elementalists worse ;_;

Lazul – Sylvari – Elementalist
Drakkar-See[De]

in Elementalist

Posted by: elchulo.3148

elchulo.3148

Very true and sad.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xaos Wolf.5312

Xaos Wolf.5312

If/when they do eventually fix some of the many Ele bugs, I might actually miss this kind of thing:
Sees mob of enemies
“YEEEEEEEAH RIDE THE LIGHawwwwwww…” /=(

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jay wilson.1702

Jay wilson.1702

i love this thread

in Elementalist

Posted by: Holo.7395

Holo.7395

Bravo! This should get stickied and added to as future patches come out

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jay wilson.1702

Jay wilson.1702

Elementalist patch notes

due to the outcry to of recent patch changes(making spells kill you) we decided to rename the elementalist to ninja!

NINJA: all elements been renamed to ninjutsu
since all the kids love the name we have to buff it

all dmg been increased by 3k
all hp been incrased by 10k

ninjas can have stealth thiefs can’t

THEIFS all skills been removed except one for every weapon
daggers: boomerang—-throws your dagger coming right back to your face it also takes cash from your paypal and tells you to l2p.

in Elementalist

Posted by: shaolinwind.6932

shaolinwind.6932

+1.

Thank you for the sad and melancholy chuckle this produced…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laivine.9308

Laivine.9308

Downed State

All 4 skills are removed and replaced by the spell “Flaming Harakiri”.
You commit suicide, to finish the torture and respawn faster. The spell also triggers the /laugh emote to the enemies that killed you. WIN!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mehuge.9861

Mehuge.9861

The reason for all the nerfs is because we generate too much FPS lag with our meteor shower, so if they nerf us into quitting, it fixes all the lag. It’s genius really.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gelrod.1295

Gelrod.1295

Can’t agree and couldn’t laugh :/

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

gnahahaah this made me laugh xD
then I realized "of f**k it’s talkin’ about me T.T "

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

>massive damage in a single attack
I would love to know what spells that does massive damage. Or hear the definition of massive.
I am not complaining about the class being weak though. The correct word would be decent damage with a lot of spells

description is correct…
You deal massive damage …there isn t written massive damage on a mobile target….

Also with a single spell infact only a single spell deals damage….

so you actualy deals massive damage to rocks, gates etc with a single spell because other spell sucks….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

• Change Air 1 to “A Hundred Bolts”
  • A Hundred Bolts upon activation will result in a lightning storm forming over the entire area. These bolts do critical instant kills and targets enemies and allies. Accuracy rate has been adjusted to negative percentiles (yes, we divided by 0!). It will never hit an enemy or an ally. However, did I forget to mention that it has a 99.9995 percent chance of killing the caster? Oh, I didn’t? Oops. Otherwise it’d need to be nerfed and called a “bug fix.”

Should read:

• A Hundrd Bolts upon activation will result in a champion mob spawning just outside FoV. These bolts will deal no damage to any targeted enemies but will buff and aggro spawned Champion. It will also aggro any creature in the same zone or instance as the player onto the elementalist. (note: this aggro cannot be removed even through death)
Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

in Elementalist

Posted by: Anlyon.8375

Anlyon.8375

While i appreciate what you’re saying, and i dont disagree, this thread isnt actually very constructive.

Lets focus on what we can do specifically to improve the ele rather than just whining about it.

You have nothing to fear but Fear itself

in Elementalist

Posted by: zetherin.8372

zetherin.8372

That was an amazing read. Loved the new 1 abilities! Absolutely hilarious.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Cows go moo!
Mmo pvpers go op! up!
Elementalists go QQ

But that kitten is hilarious

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Elementalist

Posted by: DarkSider.1079

DarkSider.1079

I got in from work tonight and saw this post, you got me to laugh a little here. I don’t know how they priortize fixes or what their system is, but it would be nice for some type of acknowledgement rather than constantly breaking my elementalist even further.

in Elementalist

Posted by: boozer.7815

boozer.7815

lol even if Anet implemented all of your suggestions, you will still have the Anet fanboi’s saying that people just need to LTP and that its a player skill issue.

in Elementalist

Posted by: dymm.3625

dymm.3625

+ Increase attunements switch cooldown up to 300 sec. Reset when died.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

All Elementalist players should be forced to pay a monthly sub to support the staff that buffs the Warrior profession.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Elementalist

Posted by: etherfreeze.6834

etherfreeze.6834

Previous Bug Fixes and Design Philosophies:

Phoenix: Looks too much like an actual phoenix in Beta. We feel this will be distracting to opponents. Replace with skill “Sparrow”, fire a tiny sparrow that attacks foes in a line.

Fireball: Auto attack damage is too high in Beta, almost capable of half-thief dps. Nerf to slightly below ranger pet auto attack.

Dragon’s Tooth: A skill capable of doing moderate damage. This is unacceptable in PvP. Render useless by hovering in air for 4 seconds.

Meteor Shower: Instead of doing consistent damage to both opponents and objects, do extremely high damage to inanimate objects, and potentially 0 damage to opponents.

Ride the Lightning: A gap closer is too powerful on an elementalist. Make it only work on stationary targets, who are probably afk anyway. If used on a moving target, elementalist will be immobilized and dazed for the duration of the skill.

Churning Earth: A skill capable of doing moderate AoE damage on a long cooldown. Add extremely long and obvious casting animation to give opponents a chance to counter. We will be observing this skill closely, and perhaps fix a bug where players can teleport while casting.

Whirlpool: An elite skill feels elite. Albeit underwater, the on land skill is functioning as intended by making elementalist take more damage and making the torture end sooner. Change underwater version to reflect tornado.

Glyph of Renewal: Reviving is too much like a “healer”. Nerf to oblivion for now, possibly revisit in the future.

in Elementalist

Posted by: OneBloke.7264

OneBloke.7264

You forgot to add
Downed State: Replace skill 2 with Suicide: Pull out a gun and shoot yourself saving the enemies the trouble since there’s nothing else an elementalist can do while downed anyway.

in Elementalist

Posted by: SblatHUN.6025

SblatHUN.6025

under the other tabs, i say this: “true story”….

+1 for this.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

So true! Love this

Maybe you could add some traits that only provide a benefit if you play the game in an extremely rigid and inefficient way? Mmm having said that, traits that provide a meaningful benefit might be a bit op for an ele…

Anyway I’m just surprised the resident forum ‘l2p bullies and trolls’ haven’t arrived yet to start preaching

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

in Elementalist

DaedalusDragon.3754

Or the resident “close all topics that aren’t ‘I LOVE ANET AND GW2’” mods

in Elementalist

DaedalusDragon.3754

Just look at this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-vs-Rift/first#post389895

lol it is HILARIOUS at the end. Moderators going crazy and making Anet look like paranoid developers lol.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sherman.4631

Sherman.4631

“Nerf for no reason when needing to fatten up the “bug fix” list. Just pick a skill and nerf!”

You just made my day

We’re out of chicken

in Elementalist

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

A Thousand Stonings sounds incredible! Though I think that diminishing returns debuff needs to carry across changing maps, since that’s all it takes to get rid of it. Personally though, I don’t find Elementalist to be all too bad, and I can feel plenty cannon, albeit very glass. Especially while using Conjure Fiery Greatsword.. oh wait, that just makes me a Warrior (with low HP and defense) for the duration.

The Downed State is what gets to me, as every time I get downed—which is so often compared to any of the other classes—the skills presented to me are absolutely rubbish. Wait 5 seconds to use a stupid slow Mist Form—because when you’re in combat, you have to move slower of course (another one of my pet peeve’s of GW2)—so that you can move a few inches away/closer, perhaps throw in a dodge or two to get that few extra tiny inches further, but not far enough to get away from enemies.. nope, just so that you can prolong the darn Downed State. Oh, and you wanted to use any of those “damaging” abilities on enemies with ranged attacks? Tough luck, your range is far shorter than theirs, so you’ll just sit there getting hit. But don’t fear, you can Mist Form away to prolong it, and just have the enemy follow you.. still ranging you to death once you pop out of it!

Overall, I do enjoy the profession, but this is the one that has me raging at the game, at least more so than other things, even the oh so common, broken Skill Challenges. I really do hope ArenaNet gives the profession some love at some point.

PS: I’ve never been killed, even once, by an Elementalist on their own in PvP.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Well the good thing about playing this class is that we’ll never be nerfed.

checks patch notes every week

Oh…

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: GuardianHope.8145

GuardianHope.8145

Apparently, I am unable to find a quote reply. Perhaps that skill has been nerfed too? Hmm.

In any case, I’m more than happy to offer my satire on the “fixes” offered by Areanet for the Elementalist each week. If they don’t want to take the class seriously and instead choose to “fix” it, I’m more than happy to not take their patch notes seriously and instead choose to “fix” it myself.

I look forward to next week’s patch notes =)

Jade Quarry
BWE – Present

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vernam.4253

Vernam.4253

I play a warrior and I was laughing so hard at this I started to tear up a little.

in Elementalist

Posted by: metalsonic.2503

metalsonic.2503

Kind of true. Elementalist skills have some of the worst synergy I have ever seen in a MMO. It just doesn’t make sense. For every skill that you have you can get countered easily or it’s just in general useless because it got a huge delay or it is a blind that sucks because it breaks in 1 auto attack. Elementalist do low damage and are to squishy atm. They are the worst class to pick, you should definitely pick another class the only ones you will be owning with Ele are total noobs.

Even Dervish in original Guild Wars was better.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Moderator.2890

Moderator.2890

Please refrain from making posts that do not provide any meaningful contribution to the topic at hand.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Auroma.9126

Auroma.9126

Do you think this may become a reality for Elementalists?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Novalight.7568

Novalight.7568

Do you think this may become a reality for Elementalists?

Well, thread that was made 1 month ago is surprisingly accurate for the current patchnotes. WHEN DOES IT END Mr. guy-that-does-balacing??? ;D

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

in Elementalist

Posted by: LadyJane.1472

LadyJane.1472

I laughed so much with this post, because of how terrible the class is and then cried too, for all the time and gold I have invested in it, waiting helplessly that they will manage to make it work somehow. Instead Elementalist is getting even more useless with every patch.
Thanx OP, great writing!

Felt exactly the same, laughing with sad tears in my eyes. Still browsing the forums for any glimmer of hope atm, while avoiding logging in to look at my poor lil elementalist to respec her to ehm… don’t even know what atm

- ‘Lady’ Lionheart of Aurora Glade -

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I do have a glimmer of hope. Some guy in the bug forums said it may actually be an issue with the recharge timer.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azrael.1408

Azrael.1408

• Reduced miss chance on channeled skills by 5%. All channeling skills now have 90% chance to miss.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

Previous Bug Fixes and Design Philosophies:

Phoenix: Looks too much like an actual phoenix in Beta. We feel this will be distracting to opponents. Replace with skill “Sparrow”, fire a tiny sparrow that attacks foes in a line.

Fireball: Auto attack damage is too high in Beta, almost capable of half-thief dps. Nerf to slightly below ranger pet auto attack.

Dragon’s Tooth: A skill capable of doing moderate damage. This is unacceptable in PvP. Render useless by hovering in air for 4 seconds.

Meteor Shower: Instead of doing consistent damage to both opponents and objects, do extremely high damage to inanimate objects, and potentially 0 damage to opponents.

Ride the Lightning: A gap closer is too powerful on an elementalist. Make it only work on stationary targets, who are probably afk anyway. If used on a moving target, elementalist will be immobilized and dazed for the duration of the skill.

Churning Earth: A skill capable of doing moderate AoE damage on a long cooldown. Add extremely long and obvious casting animation to give opponents a chance to counter. We will be observing this skill closely, and perhaps fix a bug where players can teleport while casting.

Whirlpool: An elite skill feels elite. Albeit underwater, the on land skill is functioning as intended by making elementalist take more damage and making the torture end sooner. Change underwater version to reflect tornado.

Glyph of Renewal: Reviving is too much like a “healer”. Nerf to oblivion for now, possibly revisit in the future.

if it wasnt for real i would say its kitten funny…

well, better start leveling my brocolly mesmer, she has better damage, better defences, and better group support while wearing the same armor and can swich two sets of weapons… like the best of two worlds elementalist and thief in one class…