What's the point of Mist Form now?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Krisztian.8405

Krisztian.8405

PVT warrior doesn’t work very well in WVW. You have high toughness and vitality, but your ability to do damage is diminished. If you are going against another pvt user, the damage you do against them is even lower. However, elementalists makes up for this with their ability to do condition damage. After a warrior uses his/her one or two condition removal skills, they are screwed. Really, It’s just a numbers game.

vulnerability and bleeds are nothing compared to fire.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

IIRC, we can still use Evasive Arcana and Attunement swap bonuses while Mist Formed – this means that you can still cleanse additional conditions and heal while running away. What I can no longer do is use my healing slot or prepare a Lightning Flash to gain additional ground.

The stun break, mobile invulnerability, and “stability-like” stomping/raising are still good reasons to use this Mist Form. Its usefulness may have been toned down, but it’s still plenty useful.

If ArenaNet intended to hit bunker builds with these changes, then I’d say we have a lot more nerfs incoming because these barely scratch the surface. Learn to adapt or die, it is the Elementalist’s modo after all.

Lightning flash will be the next spell rendered useless. You can see it coming a mile away, what Anet is doing right now is removing skill combos (chained skills) from the elementists bag of tricks. By removing the mistform-utility-heal they broke over 20 possible combos as well as the possibility to heal, finish someone, or use items while in Mistform. They can break a dozen more by nerfing lightning flash if that is what they want, but if they get there I will no longer be playing this game.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Stickybuds.7692

Stickybuds.7692

The mist form change bearly effects a bunker build. But mistform + ether heal was the only way to heal/cure while under fire as a dps mage. I had broken away from the bunker build and just finished gearing my dps build. So much money and time wasted. the change to RTL is nothing compared to this BS. How in the fudge are dps based mages going to get a heal off now? We actually use the #6 heal. bunkers just use signet’s passive healing + all the other activate heals they have. just kitten…kitten you guys you kittening kittens.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

I rarely used mist form to heal myself (even as a non-bunker build) in the first place, There are so many other uses for mist form still.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

IMHO, disabling weapon and utility skills is a cheat and lazy implementation in a game.

Why not just let all invul. skills use utility skills instaed of not to use?

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

All in all, I think the mistform change encourages more skillful play.

Besides, you can still swap to water + EA roll to clear some conditions and get a moderate amount of healing.

Yeah, that “skill” of knowing when an invisible opponent is about to hit you 3 times in 2 seconds, or the “skill” of mind-controlling that opponent into blowing all his burst during your 3 seconds of invuln, not simply waiting it out and blowing you up, or maybe the “skill” of only getting attacked by unskilled opponents……

But hey, there’s still that 30 point trait (which is “required” for EVERY elementalist build anyway, right?) which is your every 10 second auto-win button (if by “win” you mean hit like a limp noodle then run away without downing anyone but uplevels).

Personally, I liked playing my low/no arcane builds and occasionally actually winning a fight. It’s cool though, I managed to rank my elementalist up enough before the patch to get the first couple levels of arrow cart mastery. It’s pretty cool playing an actual ranged aoe class now. I just carry a staff around in case my arrow cart gets destroyed or I can’t find one to man. Also, I ride the lightning at rabbits a lot now…..

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Naurgalen.2374

Naurgalen.2374

I like the mistform change, as well as the elixir S change for engies. The purpose of the skill is the same as it used to be — to avoid a burst by acting pre-emptively.

People were using mist form as a crutch where they would eat the burst then mist form + heal up to reset.

Besides, you can still swap to water + EA roll to clear some conditions and get a moderate amount of healing.

I don’t think that was the idea behind Mist Form. To avoid burst attacks Lightning Flash with his 45cd and reposition (you avoid the stun/damage AND put yourself in a better place to attack or run) is FAR better. It needs more skill ofc, but the fact that a skill was made for that implies that Mist Form was made with other intentions.

Even with the nerf Mist Form has its uses vs some bosses that other cantrips can´t equal. But its still very “meh” now.

PS: I don’t think that is fair to judge a skill with traits cause that means that it will only work on some builds… that’s not a good design, traits should empower, not “make it work”.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

Yeah, that “skill” of knowing when an invisible opponent is about to hit you 3 times in 2 seconds, or the “skill” of mind-controlling that opponent into blowing all his burst during your 3 seconds of invuln, not simply waiting it out and blowing you up, or maybe the “skill” of only getting attacked by unskilled opponents……

But hey, there’s still that 30 point trait (which is “required” for EVERY elementalist build anyway, right?) which is your every 10 second auto-win button (if by “win” you mean hit like a limp noodle then run away without downing anyone but uplevels).

Personally, I liked playing my low/no arcane builds and occasionally actually winning a fight. It’s cool though, I managed to rank my elementalist up enough before the patch to get the first couple levels of arrow cart mastery. It’s pretty cool playing an actual ranged aoe class now. I just carry a staff around in case my arrow cart gets destroyed or I can’t find one to man. Also, I ride the lightning at rabbits a lot now…..

As to your complaints against thieves, you can see the cnd+mug+bs and the bp+hs+mug+bs combos coming before the thief goes invis. Then you can either dodge to avoid it all, or mistform if you’re currently CCed.

As to mesmers, you can see the clones stop what they’re doing and start running toward you when the mesmer hits shatter. That’s when you hit mistform.

There is skill involved in both of the above, but it can be tough to do in a heated fight so I understand your frustration.

(edited by ResJudicator.7916)

in Elementalist

ResJudicator.7916

I like the mistform change, as well as the elixir S change for engies. The purpose of the skill is the same as it used to be — to avoid a burst by acting pre-emptively.

People were using mist form as a crutch where they would eat the burst then mist form + heal up to reset.

I don’t think that was the idea behind Mist Form. To avoid burst attacks Lightning Flash with his 45cd and reposition (you avoid the stun/damage AND put yourself in a better place to attack or run) is FAR better. It needs more skill ofc, but the fact that a skill was made for that implies that Mist Form was made with other intentions.

Even with the nerf Mist Form has its uses vs some bosses that other cantrips can´t equal. But its still very “meh” now.

PS: I don’t think that is fair to judge a skill with traits cause that means that it will only work on some builds… that’s not a good design, traits should empower, not “make it work”.

As an initial matter, I agree that it’s not fair to judge a skill with traits. But I believe mist form is still strong whether or not it works w/ EA. That it does is just icing on the cake.

You’re also right that lightning flash can be used to avoid bursts. In fact, all the cantrips are good vs bursts because they’re all stunbreakers (which I think is a problem w/ the class… we need more stunbreakers in other skills instead of having them all concentrated in cantrips).

But mistform does more than lightning flash when it comes to avoiding bursts. First, mistform lets you tank stomps to res/stomp players. Lightning flash does not. Second, lightning flash will not dodge a shatter combo because clones will continue to home in you after you flash. Third, lightning flash will not be as much help in situations where you’re getting pummeled by ranged attacks, or where a ranger has activated his pet dmg buffs because those attacks will also follow you after you flash.

Ofc, lightning flash has many advantages that mist form does not (helping you land attacks, disorienting players, lower CD, etc.), but I’m sure you’re aware of that so I won’t go into it here.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheBandit.7031

TheBandit.7031

Mistform prelongs the battle 3 seconds longer. Yes your invulnerable… but now you can’t do anything yourself. No progress in the battle. That’s all it does now. If you have conditions on you than it actually gives you a disadvantage.
The only use it still has really is if your running away from a huge army in WvW or you do the revive or finisher/mist form combo. So basically it’s only useful in WvW now, and maybe sPvP

in Elementalist

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

Short answer-there is none,esp for glass eles.
As a gc mist form was my primary tool for uninterrupted heals -the only other we have would be armor of earth(pointless for gc’s btw +33% of no h kitten till no hp) with its abysmal cooldown,because we are eles and we cant have nice things.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Naurgalen.2374

Naurgalen.2374

As an initial matter, I agree that it’s not fair to judge a skill with traits. But I believe mist form is still strong whether or not it works w/ EA. That it does is just icing on the cake.

You’re also right that lightning flash can be used to avoid bursts. In fact, all the cantrips are good vs bursts because they’re all stunbreakers (which I think is a problem w/ the class… we need more stunbreakers in other skills instead of having them all concentrated in cantrips).

But mistform does more than lightning flash when it comes to avoiding bursts. First, mistform lets you tank stomps to res/stomp players. Lightning flash does not. Second, lightning flash will not dodge a shatter combo because clones will continue to home in you after you flash. Third, lightning flash will not be as much help in situations where you’re getting pummeled by ranged attacks, or where a ranger has activated his pet dmg buffs because those attacks will also follow you after you flash.

Ofc, lightning flash has many advantages that mist form does not (helping you land attacks, disorienting players, lower CD, etc.), but I’m sure you’re aware of that so I won’t go into it here.

We both can agree that a great part of the problem is that we need more stunbreakers on weapons so that cantrips aren’t forced upon us.

I wont deny Mist Form has its uses like evading a “continual” clone burst or “stomping/healing”, but what has changed is something you already said: now it works to prevent damage and if you are getting pummeled (low life) by a rangers range I would take my chances with LF and close range for SA than MF and die 3 secs later without doubt.

PS: I’m not really a fan of MF stomping, sometimes its easier/better to just kill with damage and sometimes -even if it IS a worse choice- Armor of Earth or a simple blind can do the trick 2.
PS2: To be really useful you need 3 traits: Soothing Disruption, Cleansing Water and ofc EA.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

in Elementalist

Xillllix.3485

I find playing a 16000hp ele is no longer fun, but I made a new build with 21500hp yesterday (cantrips) and while you end up making about 20% less damage you do not die at every battle as that was the obvious intention of the nerf. Staying alive longer means you make more damage as well as we all know.

Anyway it’s ridiculous to give 11000 base hp to a class that can only walk around safely in WvW with 20000. They broke the balance so we have to balance the class ourselves.

So yeah, they’ve forced us into making the bunker build they wanted to nerf in the first place.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dragsooth.4071

Dragsooth.4071

I find playing a 16000hp ele is no longer fun, but I made a new build with 21500hp yesterday (cantrips) and while you end up making about 20% less damage you do not die at every battle as that was the obvious intention of the nerf. Staying alive longer means you make more damage as well as we all know.

Anyway it’s ridiculous to give 11000 base hp to a class that can only walk around safely in WvW with 20000. They broke the balance so we have to balance the class ourselves.

So yeah, they’ve forced us into making the bunker build they wanted to nerf in the first place.

This ^

Congrats, Anet.

:3

in Elementalist

Posted by: morastarna.6294

morastarna.6294

You can still stomp while in mistform. which is all I really ever used it for. But if you can’t see how mistform is still great. Your bad.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kurow.6973

Kurow.6973

This ^

Congrats, Anet.

This logic applies to all classes at lowest tier HP. Invalid!

in Elementalist

ResJudicator.7916

This ^

Congrats, Anet.

This logic applies to all classes at lowest tier HP. Invalid!

Thieves are at the lowest tier HP. This logic does not apply to them. In fact, most thieves spec the opposite way (pure burst).

Think things through before bashing someone else.

ps. Not saying I agree with Xillix’s logic, either (I don’t).

in Elementalist

Xillllix.3485

You guys do not need to agree with what I said I’ve done, it’s also dependent on the playing style and my 16000hp build depended on the Mistform healing… I don’t really care if you don’t agree.

I’m just saying its much more fun to stay alive than to do 15-20% more damage and be killed in 2 hits. The extra 5000hp covers the healing I would have done in Mistform.