Why no reduce falling damage trait?

in Elementalist

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

As far as I have seen, all the other professions have a trail that reduces their falling damage by 50% and releases something on the impact. Poison cloud, muddy ground, blinding powder and so forth. But I have not found anything like that on the Elementalist. Why is that? Was it forgotten or can they achieve the same in another way?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jasott.7914

Jasott.7914

Just commented about this in my own topic. It would be nice if say, Be One With Air had this, but only if you were at the max tick for the speed increase.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zeus.1728

Zeus.1728

totally agreed. why every other classes got falling damage reduction, but not ele?

I could understand if falling damage reduction only available to like 3, 5 classes. But all 7 classes have it, except ele, what type of failing, discriminating design is this?

Just for other people who not familiar, out of 8 classes in the game, 7 classes have access to falling damage reduction trait

Guardian – Protector’s Impact
Warrior – Death from Above
Engineer – Explosive Descent
Ranger – Soften the Fall
Thief – Descent of Shadows
Mesmer – Descent into Madness
Necromancer – Toxic Landing

Elementalist – NOTHING

W T F really ? …. I am disappointed

(edited by Zeus.1728)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Eclipses.7152

Eclipses.7152

This really sucks for eles in WvW where we have the lowest health pool.

So many jumps others can make you end up dying from.

It’s rather pathetic.

Eclipses
The Royal Guard – http://theroyalguardclan.enjin.com
Isle of Janthir

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laivine.9308

Laivine.9308

Pathetic indeed. Add it to the long list of pathetic things…

in Elementalist

Posted by: NdranC.5107

NdranC.5107

I would like to know why ANet is so tight about fall damage. I was really disappointing to find out many of my skills that intuitively I though would work to avoid fall damage don’t really work. Like Ride the Lightning, or Lightning Flash (teleport i think). Specially Mist Form, I though for sure I was not gonna take fall damage if i was a kittening gas >.<

in Elementalist

Posted by: Eicherjw.3926

Eicherjw.3926

I was also supprised that right the lightning and mist form didn’t ignore fall damage. I mean… you’re a ball of kittening light or a ball of mist!! As for teleport, I’ve yet to meet a 900 i’d rather not just jump off of.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Burrid.4739

Burrid.4739

This and downed skill number 2 makes the elementalist very special.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laivine.9308

Laivine.9308

^^ that made me laugh! Thanx!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Good question. Especially since Sieran (Priory storyline- an elementalist) can fly.

For the record, Descent Into Madness is by far the best name of the bunch.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Well if it follows the current trend of ele traits:

Elementalist: ‘Feather fall’
If you have been attuned to air for longer than 40 seconds, there is a 10% chance, that there will be a 5% chance that fall damage will be reduced by 2%. (ICD 20 seconds so that it can’t be abused).

Bug: attuning to a different element causes an internal cooldown of 90 seconds.

During the next bug fix:
Feather fall no longer triggers when attuned to air.

Probably wasn’t included because it’d encourage too much trait synergy. Although I think it’s more likely that those fall damage traits don’t have a conditional activation. To be an ele trait, it either has to achieve very little or at least have a moderate chance of not activating.

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

Or take out, “The wind obeys me!” flavour shout.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

in Elementalist

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

I’m surprised its not, feather fall, reduce fall damage by 50%. Feather Fall bug: feather fall actually increases fall damage by 50%. :p.

I too was surprised that mist form doesn’t help and ride the lightning fly’s you forward and down, which has hurt me more then just jumping down from the original height would have lol (falling into a bigger valley the cliff face below).

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

Have you tried the Lightning Flash cantrip? Requires good reflexes though.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Stormbringer.5867

Stormbringer.5867

A guild officer was telling me that every class has a fall trait reduction and I’d better have it in WvW. I had to inform him after spending 30 minutes thinking I was missing something that no, in fact elementalists don’t have one. I am now leveling a necro and warrior.

Also you’d think that being a cloud of gas would protect your internal organs from fall damage but no….

in Elementalist

Posted by: Luterin.9876

Luterin.9876

Perhaps not every class is supposed to have exactly everything? Or time to give everyone as good AE heals as the elementalist can produce?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

Perhaps not every class is supposed to have exactly everything? Or time to give everyone as good AE heals as the elementalist can produce?

Yes, only 7 out of 8 classes are supposed to have fall damage reduction. . .

This is a rather glaring oversight by ANet.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in Elementalist

Luterin.9876

I don’t think it is. I think it’s intended, and personally I’ve never had an issue with it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Poplik.8697

Poplik.8697

I don’t think it is. I think it’s intended, and personally I’ve never had an issue with it.

why is it intended? Is there some crazy overpowered scenario where ele would be too strong by having this?

in Elementalist

Luterin.9876

why is it intended? Is there some crazy overpowered scenario where ele would be too strong by having this?

And again I’ll answer with, not everyone is supposed to have everything.

Also, it’s not really an issue, since you can get around it by using the tools at your disposal.

I can get around in places where others classes cant, including from high heights.

in Elementalist

Aiglos.2907

Baah lost the ability to quote directly

Could you elaborate Luterin? Not that I’m disagreeing with you, but I want to know specifically how you are using all the tools at our disposal. I assume you’re not referring to lightning flash? Just curious I mean if that was the case, you realise there’s a difference in having to use a utility slot to do what the other classes achieve through traits.

Otherwise I think it’s very odd to exlude the elementalist from this particular thing. Unlike stealth, poison aoe fields etc which are understandably limited to a few professions, the fall damage trait seems like a fairly generic thing. I still think it’s weird to exlude the ele when all other 7 professions receieve a similar trait. This may give significant tactical advantages in some forms of play? Someone will need to back me up on this, because I can’t give specific examples on this particular point.

Lore wise, you’d think an elementalist would cope better with fall damage (air levitation etc). In fact any of the attunements could be used to soften the fall. Not using the lore wise thing as an argument btw. Just speculating

I really don’t see the reason for the exclusion though, which is my personal opinion. ‘Everyone not supposed to have everything’ is fair enough, but when all 7 professions have this trait. If it offers them better mobility, then that’s not very fair

in Elementalist

Luterin.9876

I mean if that was the case, you realise there’s a difference in having to use a utility slot to do what the other classes achieve through traits.

Not really, it’s all part of ones “spec”.

in Elementalist

Aiglos.2907

I mean if that was the case, you realise there’s a difference in having to use a utility slot to do what the other classes achieve through traits.

Not really, it’s all part of ones “spec”.

Yay I can quote again

Fair enough. Although hopefully you can still elaborate on errm this:

“Also, it’s not really an issue, since you can get around it by using the tools at your disposal. I can get around in places where others classes cant, including from high heights.”

Would be interesting to learn some tips I think

in Elementalist

Luterin.9876

Yay I can quote again

Fair enough. Although hopefully you can still elaborate on errm this:

“Also, it’s not really an issue, since you can get around it by using the tools at your disposal. I can get around in places where others classes cant, including from high heights.”

Would be interesting to learn some tips I think

Quoting on this forum is really weird, I don’t understand when it works and when it doesn’t either…

But it seems something might have changed with last patch, I’m not being able to avoid falling damage in the same ways anymore, but I am currently ingame testing, so will see, but looks like some things changed anyway, which in turn made skills like Lightning Flash less interesting to have.

in Elementalist

Vayra.3290

Also, it’s not really an issue, since you can get around it by using the tools at your disposal.

I can get around in places where others classes cant, including from high heights.

I agree not everyone should have everything, I just feel it’s weird that everyone except Ele gets one thing that is a massive help in a lot of situations (most notably WvW and jumping puzzles). I really don’t think it’s too much to ask to have this trait (in either air or earth).

Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Poplik.8697

Poplik.8697

I agree, not everyone should get everything, but 7 out of 8? Really?

in Elementalist

Posted by: DreadShinobi.4751

DreadShinobi.4751

I wasn’t aware anyone actually used the reduce falling damage traits in other classes lol. The majority of falls in this game are manageable in 1 way or another, at least there aren’t enough to actually spend a trait on.

Kiiban -lvl 80 Elementalist
Sacaen -lvl 80 Warrior

in Elementalist

Posted by: Korath.7402

Korath.7402

Because the elementalist designer put our traits together on a napkin while having way too many drinks at the bar?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Burrid.4739

Burrid.4739

I suggest the trait: The name of the wind.
Lets you call the name of the wind to let you land softly.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

Also you’d think that being a cloud of gas would protect your internal organs from fall damage but no….

haha..yes, I learnt that the hard way also! (WTK does “invulnerable” mean anyway?)

I haven’t found anything Mist Form is invulnerable to (direct damage, sure, but it’s frequently accompanied with condition damage).

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zen.9135

Zen.9135

I’d like it as a 10 point Air trait. It gives the 50% fall damage reduction plus updraft with 5 seconds of swiftness. Or a 10 point Earth trait that adds a bleed/cripple to the damage reduction. Or a 10 point water trait that adds a AOE heal+condition removal to the damage reduction. Or… you get the idea. Lots of ways to do this. Stupid oversight to not have this trait. Especially on a low hit point profession.

In general Ele’s traits seem to be lacking and not very synergistic. The 20 point skill recharge reduction traits should also have a secondary effect like the other professions get.

[MF] Malum Factum | Yak’s Bend
www.malumfactum.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: splatomat.9370

splatomat.9370

No, I think everybody is supposed to have a fall damage reduction. It doesn’t make any sense to give 7 classes a feature and not give the 8th one, especially when it’s a universal form of damage. Eles cannot do something “special” to somehow avoid falling damage. It hits every character in the same way.

Arguing that its intentional is inane, please stop.

in Elementalist

Posted by: splatomat.9370

splatomat.9370

Also, I dont know why people are arguing for some convoluted tag-on to an existing skill.

50% falling damage reduction + Nearly Useless Side Effect = Falling Damage Trait

Put it in Earth tier 1, and be done with it already.

in Elementalist

Zeus.1728

I wasn’t aware anyone actually used the reduce falling damage traits in other classes lol. The majority of falls in this game are manageable in 1 way or another, at least there aren’t enough to actually spend a trait on.

if you want to do 100% world complete, fall damage reduction is a huge quality of life to cut corner. You can go the long way, or you can just jump straight down.

I have a level 80 warrior and 80 ranger, currently level up my elementalist. All my characters, I try to farm 100% world complete, and always take trait for falling damage reduction. Keep in mind that, changing spec is very cheap (4-5 silvers), therefore having a dedicated world exploring specs is completely affordable.

Elementalist, due to lacking fall damage reduction trait, is a huge pain on to farm 100% world complete.

in Elementalist

Aiglos.2907

Baah my ability to quote has gone again
@Splatomat

I thought my “Feather fall” suggestion fits in perfectly with the current Elementalist traits

Jokes aside, something more serious could be :
Dragon Stomp: 50% fall damage, adjacent foes are knocked down. Earth. Perhaps an ICD on the knockdown effect…

Something like that maybe…

in Elementalist

Posted by: DreadShinobi.4751

DreadShinobi.4751

quote button not working again /eyeroll

@Zeus, my Elementalist has 100% world completion. Fall damage is not bad in this game, especially because of how fast you heal up out of combat. The only time fall damage is an issue is when it would 1 shot you, which is incredibly rare in this game as the majority of cliffs have a logical way down them, and I don’t consider being put out of my way doing it right. It’s a waste of a trait.

Kiiban -lvl 80 Elementalist
Sacaen -lvl 80 Warrior

in Elementalist

Vayra.3290

@Zeus, my Elementalist has 100% world completion. Fall damage is not bad in this game, especially because of how fast you heal up out of combat. The only time fall damage is an issue is when it would 1 shot you, which is incredibly rare in this game as the majority of cliffs have a logical way down them, and I don’t consider being put out of my way doing it right. It’s a waste of a trait.

Jumping Puzzles, not always water below you if you fail.

Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in Elementalist

Zeus.1728

it is a matter of quality of life. Again, it is not impossible to do without it, but it is a pain in the dikc without it. All I ask is, what is the rational behind the decision to give 7 classes fall damage reduction, EXCEPT Ele.

If you can defense that decision making, please enlighten me. Please dont give that bullsiht that you can play without it. Just answer the plain question, why ONLY 1 class do not have it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vann Borakul.5097

Vann Borakul.5097

It’s possible they didn’t get one because they’re able to traverse gaps other professions can’t.

in Elementalist

Vayra.3290

It’s possible they didn’t get one because they’re able to traverse gaps other professions can’t.

Thiefs can do the same (easier even) and still have it.

Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tenebram.8975

Tenebram.8975

I’d really like to know why ele’s dont have a trait like this also, seems really odd and quite frustrating, yes you can work your way around not having it but all other classes have the option of using the trait or not where as elementalist aren’t given the choice, while elementalists may have advantages in some areas so to do all other classes have their’s so it’s not an issue of balance, especially when considering ele is the only class that does not have it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

This really sucks for eles in WvW where we have the lowest health pool.

So many jumps others can make you end up dying from.

Falling damage is x% of your max health, if a level 1 Elementalist would die from a fall a level 80 warrior would die, too.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

They had to cut it to make room for another “+5% X while attuned to Y” trait.

It’d be nifty if we got one and it changed based on attunement. Even if it only looked different and reused spell graphics, it’d be stylish as hell to be able to land gently on a cushion of air, or slam down so hard you shatter the ground.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scribbles.7493

Scribbles.7493

An arcane trait that reduces falling damage by 50% and creates an attunement based AoE effect where you land.

Like Evasive Arcana, but for falling.

Blacktide – [CIR]
Crimson Imperium Reborn

in Elementalist

Posted by: Moose Rooster.4927

Moose Rooster.4927

It is very odd that we don’t have anything for this considering we have 3 trait lines that could easily allow for it, and if it was attunement based that would be fine too.

I just want to not splatter… a slow fall would be dope but I don’t see that happening. Unless mist form made a slow fall for it’s duration?

in Elementalist

Posted by: agnostAnts.7065

agnostAnts.7065

I have to agree; it’s not necessary, but the fact that every other profession has access to a fall damage trait while eles don’t raises red flags in my head. It sounds easy enough to add in, too.

Air trait = -50% fall damage, triggers Updraft effect on landing (knockback any foes and gain swiftness)

Earth trait = -50% fall damage, triggers a Sandstorm upon landing (bleeding and blinding)

Arcana trait = -50% fall damage, effect changes depending on attunement (Fire creates a Flame Burst, water = frozen ground, air = windborne speed, earth = earthquake or magnetic wave)

seems simple enough.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tenebram.8975

Tenebram.8975

That would be perfect I mean it seems simple enough and basic enough that it ought to have been there to begin with I mean heck an existing trait could be edited to include it without breaking anything or making it too strong.. some of the ones ele’s get are kinda underwhelming

in Elementalist

Posted by: Eclipses.7152

Eclipses.7152

This is needed for Eles in WvW. If it was to be added, it would be incorporated into my build immediately.

Not sure why they just don’t take glyph of storms and add it to a fall damage trait but give it a condition for air and fire and there you go.

Seriously, not rocket science. I think it’s absolutely preposterous that there are people in here trying to defend the fact that 7 of the 8 professions in this game has this trait but elementalists don’t. They’re probably the same people trying to defend the fact that 7 of the 8 professions in the game also have an interrupt in their downed state kit but elementalists don’t as well.

Eclipses
The Royal Guard – http://theroyalguardclan.enjin.com
Isle of Janthir

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Playing in MK instance last night, died due to fall damage & getting immediately tickled by a spider.
Similarly, further falls killed me out right when every other player (lowbies included) could survive.
I`m used to this at times in WvW so thought nothing of it.
I joked “wtb slowfall/blink at last second” when someone in the group asked why I didn`t trait for fall damage reduction.
I said there wasn`t such a trait, but double checked.

I had no idea until that conversation that everyone, except for Ele` had this.
Why on Tyria don`t we?

Already lower hp then just about everyone else, surely being a clothie we should fall/land better then medium/heavy geared folk?

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sharpe.1485

Sharpe.1485

You are obviously wrong – elementalists don’t need falling damage reduction traits like everyone else because we are more complex, if you change attunements while you fall you will succeed!

Only bad players die to fall damage, if this happens to you, you should go play a warrior cuz that is easier!
If elementalists had a trait to reduce fall damage we would be completely overpowered, and all the top tPvP teams would realize this!
Is that what you want?

Not only that, after months of practice with the elementalist, (which is the only way you will get good at this class) I’m starting to realize that even not having a reduce fall damage trait is overpowered… so they should somehow nerf that.

Okay, I think I covered all the fanboi bases /end sarcasm

- Yeah it’s pretty silly we don’t have such a trait, but even if we did it would probably require us to be in a particular attunement to work with no other effect other than reducing the fall damage itself hehe