looking for Dung/Fractal Advice for D/D

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I am an experienced dungeoner and Fractal runner, but almost entirely on Engineer and Thief. I love both those classes, but recently I have really been getting into the elementalist.

I love Dagger/dagger, and it’s really all I want to use on my ele. I know most ele’s seem to run Staff or Scepter/focus, but I really don’t enjoy those as much. So I am wondering, how can I make it good for dungeons and Fractals? Does anyone have any good builds and videos that I can learn from?

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Run Dagger/Focus! OH Dagger has much less utility than Focus. But Dagger/Focus lets you use the MH Dagger’s kit with a lot of cool defensive utility from Focus.

in Elementalist

Gern.2978

Run Dagger/Focus! OH Dagger has much less utility than Focus. But Dagger/Focus lets you use the MH Dagger’s kit with a lot of cool defensive utility from Focus.

I didn’t ask for a good weapon set similar to d/d. I know that scepter/dagger and dagger/focus are better than d/d for dungeons. But I don’t care about maximizing the ele’s damage or utility, I want to maximize the Dagger/Dagger Ele’s damage and utility.

In any case. I have been running this build to great success:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAoYhcMoshNNw6B0RMIAYRAIU+AkL5FIFUvh2wnE-TFSBABjqCBlqvYmSwr2fU+1xJAAPdAIqFAgHAAA-w

I only use the two pieces of celestial gear in high level fractals. In lower level fractals I swap them out for zerker gear. My rotation is the standard d/d rotation.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

Good build, it might see a few change but at least do this:

change pyromancer’s troll for persisting flames ^^
The gm you took is the worst gm ever made in the whole game while persisting flame is probably the strongest in a pve point of view

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

It’s kind of hard to give advice to someone for optimizing a build if they don’t want to pick what is optimal :\

You should be using elemental contingency in arcane, pyromancer’s training and persisting flames in fire, tempest defense for any boss that can be cced, and in any downscaled dungeon you should almost all of the time be using water specialization over arcane.

Also camping D/D is really bad. You should be swapping to different sets depending on the dungeon encounters, not staying with the same thing 24-7. Same goes for traits/utilities/food.

in Elementalist

Gern.2978

Good build, it might see a few change but at least do this:

change pyromancer’s troll for persisting flames ^^
The gm you took is the worst gm ever made in the whole game while persisting flame is probably the strongest in a pve point of view

Thank you, Ill give it a try!

It’s kind of hard to give advice to someone for optimizing a build if they don’t want to pick what is optimal :\

You should be using elemental contingency in arcane, pyromancer’s training and persisting flames in fire, tempest defense for any boss that can be cced, and in any downscaled dungeon you should almost all of the time be using water specialization over arcane.

Also camping D/D is really bad. You should be swapping to different sets depending on the dungeon encounters, not staying with the same thing 24-7. Same goes for traits/utilities/food.

Yeah, I’ve been experimenting with “power overwhelming” due to how powerful burning is right now. Ill try out “pyromancer’s Training” and see if I do more damage, thank you.

I do swap weapons when I have to. I keep all the Ele weapons in my bags for those times I ever need them. I come from playing a thief in dungeons, so I know that sometimes you gotta use other weapons. It’s just that I very much prefer D/D, and so I play it whenever I can, and I was wondering if anyone on here had advice for how to optimize it. I also keep all kinds of different food in my bags.

I am curious as to why you say Water over Arcane for lower level dungeons? They are very easy, and I have never felt the need for the extra healing.

Thank you both for the advice!

(edited by Gern.2978)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fade.1743

Fade.1743

Water has two flat damage bonuses. One you’d use just for conjures and the other works as long as you’re above 90% HP.

Theoretically water provides more damage and can provide a lot more healing and condition cleanse than Arcane. But on a practical level, they are more equal. Though for Scepter or Dagger builds, I’d say Arcane can pull ahead in terms of practical use.

Magichemist Zeke – Asura Elementalist [TC]
An Insane(ly Intelligent) Genius!
“Did you just tell me the rules? Never tell me the rules!”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

In high level fractale, arcane >>> water.
(you’ll never be able to maitain 90% life, and having to use IB in water can sometimes be difficult)

Exept this little fact, i agree with Fade

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)