Are Engis worth making after patch?

in Engineer

Posted by: Acension.9270

Acension.9270

Heya,

After the patch I read through the notes and peoples comments about the class and it all seems pretty negative.

The next class I was going to make was going to be engineer but I just wanna know if they are still worth making???

Trolls :)

in Engineer

Posted by: Magolith.9412

Magolith.9412

All I do is WVW small-group. Engi is still good there.

[WS] Mesmer Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Yes. Absolutely.

Everyone is negative right after a patch. It always happens. They could have 15 buffs and 1 nerf, and all they will talk about is the nerf. Engi is fine.

in Engineer

Posted by: EriskRedLemur.7153

EriskRedLemur.7153

First; PvE, PvP, WvW?
2nd: Much nerfs and issues are with scrapper, which is 80. Levelling esp PvE you’ll not feel nerfed really. It’s still very fun class, and one of my favs levelling.

I wish they fixed things engi needed fixing, turrets esp and defensive things. That’s also a lot of understandable crying is; that they did not address fundamental issues still.

King Slacker, GM LXS (NA) League of Xtraordinary Slackers
THREAD INFO

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

Condi Engie technically got buffed, if PvE is your thing.

+1 second of burning on Poison Dart Volley and Fire Bomb per shot/pulse. It’s actually a pretty decent overall buff, but it doesn’t change the fact that maximum Engineer condition DPS is still pretty dependent on non-moving enemies. Reapers likely still have an edge over us thanks to epidemic bouncing, sadly.

Most of the anger is because Scrapper received a lot of nerfs, but for some reason rifle didn’t receive any worthwhile buffs. And despite clearly needing love, they did not even touch shield.

And their interpretation of “improving underused skills” was decreasing AED’s cool-down. PvP-wise, it went from a horribly unreliable skill with a ridiculous cool-down to a horribly unreliable skill with an okay-ish cool-down. However, I might use it in open-world PvE now, just because mobs are usually predictable and CC helps I guess.

Overall, I am extremely underwhelmed with the Engineer portion of the patch, but Meta-PvE-Condi Engineer has come out slightly stronger. Despite Meta-PvP-Scrapper receiving nerfs, we have to see how it fits in with other classes on a relative level. It might still be an extremely good class still. Though I have doubts.

in Engineer

bearshaman.3421

Pretty much agreed with Eastcorn. Particularly on that last paragraph. We need to play around with the changes before anything can really be definitively said, and even that for a few weeks, as everyone monkeys around with the classes. This changes party dynamics and class counter dynamics (for pve and pvp respectively), and we won’t really get a good sense of where we are until everyone has settled into their new builds and strategies with what we have to work with now.

Note: Everyone=all professions

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Condi Engi is now potentially the max dps in PvE against small hitboxes. Power is only average now and simply got nerfed for no reason at all.

But yea, considering PvE, Condi Engi definitly is a thing now!

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Etaoin.4362

Etaoin.4362

For general PvE, the motto has always been play what you enjoy. Barring dealing with elitists about raids, you should be able to make the engineer work in any of that content. If you like it, play it

PvP/WvW-wise, the engineer is still pretty much in the same place that it was in before the nerfs. As noted in a few other topics, with the nerfs to the cast times on Medic Gyro and Reconstruction Field, the biggest change is that Healing Turret is pretty much back on top as the engineer’s best heal. This is true especially since the somewhat reliable regeneration application from Bunker Down was removed (which, for the life of me, I do not understand, but whatever), and having regeneration up can grant a small buff to healing power.

So, while the engineer did take some hefty hits with this patch (especially the power scrapper builds), the way the profession plays somewhat compensates for its losses. It is still pretty effective for doing what it has been doing. Fun in PvE, effective in PvP (especially with the swarm of DH pewpew as of late), and decent in WvW (at least if you are doing small group/roaming; it offers far less in a zerg but, then again, it’s a zerg).

That said, depending on your playstyle you may opt for a different profession that does what you like to do better.

Hope this helps

in Engineer

bearshaman.3421

For general PvE, the motto has always been play what you enjoy. Barring dealing with elitists about raids, you should be able to make the engineer work in any of that content. If you like it, play it

You forgot high-level fractals and speedrun dungeons.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Condi Engi is now potentially the max dps in PvE against small hitboxes. Power is only average now and simply got nerfed for no reason at all.

But yea, considering PvE, Condi Engi definitly is a thing now!

Well, power engi (static discharge build with bombs, ram and rifle turret) is just behind thief. Pretty easy rotation.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Engineer

Posted by: Etaoin.4362

Etaoin.4362

Do folks have issues with engineers in high-level fractals? I haven’t encountered that, but if it’s an issue then, yes, that is a fair point.

I did forget about speed running dungeons, though, thanks

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

I don’t see why not.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

Do folks have issues with engineers in high-level fractals? I haven’t encountered that, but if it’s an issue then, yes, that is a fair point.

i run fractal lvl 70 and havent had a problem even once

in Engineer

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

Condi builds are extremely viable in high level frogs due the amount of armor mobs have.

in Engineer

bearshaman.3421

That’s what I was getting at. Condi builds are preferred at higher levels of fractals over power builds, regardless of profession. You can do power, but it’s suboptimal because of increasing amounts of toughness in fractal monsters/bosses.

in Engineer

Posted by: ampy.1387

ampy.1387

Always and Forever.

Music is the Weapon of the Future.

ïryss | Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: EriskRedLemur.7153

EriskRedLemur.7153

Remember, updates can drastically change a class. Unless you want to instantly be 80 and be competitive in PvP or min/max raids; but you love engi otherwise, GO ENG.

For many ppl engi will be wonderful as is; if you’re levelling and aren’t gonna be 80 in two days, it’s great and open world PvE it’s great. Again, ppl cry now but look at classes from last patch or seasons, they get nerfed or get buffed and peeps cry for nerf. That’s how things are

King Slacker, GM LXS (NA) League of Xtraordinary Slackers
THREAD INFO

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

In spvp engi is really good. Scrapper is really strong and also core engi is quite viable nowdays for casual players