Commanding as an engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: aelen.5673

aelen.5673

Hi all,

I started commanding recently (about 2 weeks ago) on my engineer and it’s going pretty ok. So far I went for full power/toughness/vitality gear along with exuberance runes… People seem to like my commanding style, but I still feel a bit squishy which causes a problem for the melee train cause don’t really have someone to follow into the heat of battle. I’d like to be there for them in the midst of it all…

My accessories/jewels aren’t fully up to scratch yet and I have no upgrades in there, so I was looking for some advice on those. What would be the best thing to go for (both accessories as well as the upgrades)?

I have also been terribly lazy and haven’t actually retraited from my regular roaming build (30 10 0 20 10)… I was thinking of going for the “tankcat” build and seeing if that’s still viable. It seems to have a lot of survivability anyway.

Any other commanding engineers on here? Would love some engineer-specific commanding advice. Thanks!

Aelen

Aelen – Vabbi (previously SFR)

in Engineer

Posted by: Pazu.8320

Pazu.8320

I don’t command, but I run in the melee train a lot as engineer. Get those PVT trinkets ASAP, ascended if you can. Protection Injection and Stabilized Armor helps. Oct 15 patch will give us reliable stability with Toss Elixer B so prepare for that awesomeness. Beware retaliation when nading. I usually start with bombs. Another thing to try is a perplexity rune setup with traited Elixer X and Throw Mine for engaging (I’ve only been playing this a short while with Dire armor). Lots of things to try out, but I’d say get the feel of your new build before stepping up to command.

Also, Healing Turret has an enormous water field (though short) so definitely use it!

Paul Lukische (ele), Pazu Plus One (ranger), Oh The Pazubilities (mes) et al – Sanctum of Rall
Champion Titles: Legionnaire, Genius, Magus, Paragon, Illusionist, Phantom, Shadow, Ritualist
Spectral Legion [SL] is recruiting! spectrallegion.com

in Engineer

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

What server?

Link me build.

Squishy engi?) Naaah)

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in Engineer

Posted by: Diet Plain.4513

Diet Plain.4513

I would say run bombs with 10/0/20/30/10. When I run with the melee train I use both the prot traits to try to keep it up as much as possible, perma vig/swift/ backpack regen/ 20% less dmg while stunned and bombs have larger radius. I use Elixir X just because it gives all that stability and it’s nice to lead the charge with.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

Oh yay!! I have the commander tag also although I mainly use it around PvE cause im not good at all at WvW. I like to think im more suportive commander and blast lots of water everwhere!! ^^

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I not commanding but I have build maked for maximal survability I can dive into zerg like a boss and almost never die. I used it over 4 months and I cant simply find better:-)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqel0pyaH5y3F17IxIFde0hUUY7L6h+tsjB-jQyAofhQiBI5Agggk9KiGbZsIasKbM1LRUtNvIa1yAwMGA-e

- With rank buffs and food you have almost 31k HP (or more depend on current WvW HP bonus.
- Due to Melandru runes, trait and food you are pretty much immune (97% reduction) to chill, cripple and immobilize and rest condis are also greatly reduced. Also stun duration is reduced.
- If enemy zerg is realy big switch food into omnombery compot for better heal
- For every kill you got about 1k HP from sigil (another 2k from omnombery) and your endurance is fully refiled from other sigil. Just tag everything with FT and you are immortal as long as your zerg kills:-P

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

(edited by Rozbuska.5263)

in Engineer

aelen.5673

Thanks a ton for all the suggestions guys, gonna have a look through all the builds that got linked and try some different stuff! <3

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

dont run grenades while in command. takes too much concentration to just aim nades, too much to think about.

i dont take nades off my bar, and have had my tag for like 9 months (i dont lead zerg v zerg, but ill run a defense pretty easily). tbh between being rank 400+ in low pop server, having legendary, and being a commander… im too much of a focus magnet and need to turn something off. the tag usually gets it cuz the rifle is too awesome.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Hvaran.6327

I not commanding but I have build maked for maximal survability I can dive into zerg like a boss and almost never die. I used it over 4 months and I cant simply find better:-)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqel0pyaH5y3F17IxIFde0hUUY7L6h+tsjB-jQyAofhQiBI5Agggk9KiGbZsIasKbM1LRUtNvIa1yAwMGA-e

- With rank buffs and food you have almost 31k HP (or more depend on current WvW HP bonus.
- Due to Melandru runes, trait and food you are pretty much immune (97% reduction) to chill, cripple and immobilize and rest condis are also greatly reduced. Also stun duration is reduced.
- For every kill you got about 1k HP from sigil (another 2k from omnombery) and your endurance is fully refiled from other sigil. Just tag everything with FT and you are immortal as long as your zerg kills:-P

i couldn’t not comment this.

I saw you got some good pve maybe even spvp builds…but this one…U mixed very good ideas into pure kitten build. No damage, no support. If u are making movie from the 100vs100 fights yeah it fits.

(edited by Hvaran.6327)

in Engineer

Rozbuska.5263

I saw you got some good pve maybe even spvp builds…but this one…U mixed very good ideas into pure kitten build. No damage, no support. If u are making movie from the 100vs100 fights yeah it fits.

This build is for zergs for badgefarming. For solo/small scale its useless:-) Support engi in WvW? Well.. Lol:-D

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

I comand with a FT build, people complane about the retaliation being an issue but overall I don’t use flame jet that often.

I can’t link my build atm because I’m on my phone but it’s 20/20/0/30/0 when I want to go for damage, and 0/20/20/30/0 when I’m running full defense.

I run full PVT gear with 3x altruism and 2x fire and a sigil of battle on my weapon. It’s not perfect t but I don’t feel like I’m squishy at all and I have no problem maintaining 25 stacks of might.

in Engineer

Hvaran.6327

This build is for zergs for badgefarming. For solo/small scale its useless:-) Support engi in WvW? Well.. Lol:-D

even for zerg badge etc…u can’t cap enough people with that dmg…and ofc smallscale it’s useless we are not talking about smallscale right now, i think u know smallscale builds good for engi.

Who said about full support? U runningkittenelixir not healing turret with 2 water fields. It’s much more better in zerg. And if u are commander u can call blasts and heal your zerg more efficiently.

in Engineer

Hvaran.6327

I comand with a FT build, people complane about the retaliation being an issue but overall I don’t use flame jet that often.

I can’t link my build atm because I’m on my phone but it’s 20/20/0/30/0 when I want to go for damage, and 0/20/20/30/0 when I’m running full defense.

I run full PVT gear with 3x altruism and 2x fire and a sigil of battle on my weapon. It’s not perfect t but I don’t feel like I’m squishy at all and I have no problem maintaining 25 stacks of might.

forget about mightstacking in zergs) u will have them from FT passive trait and zerg)

full pvt…looks too tanky) what did u choose in alchemy thread?

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

forget about mightstacking in zergs) u will have them from FT passive trait and zerg)

full pvt…looks too tanky) what did u choose in alchemy thread?

there can be no such thing as a commander who is too tanky

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

aelen.5673

So, I’ve basically been looking through and fiddling around with two of the builds linked here; the one from Hvaran (he’s on my server, talked to him in-game) and the one from Rozbuska.

At the moment I’m using Rune of Exuberance, since I already had those, but before I bought them, I had been thinking about Rune of Melandru as well… I seem to have the most trouble staying alive when there’s not enough stability and a bunch of conditions get piled up. I have a fairly substantial health pool now, so I am not sure if the extra vitality is worth it, rather than getting the reduced condition duration (and -15% stun).

In terms of defences I would have a bit less healing power though… so I wonder how the reduced vitality + healing power weighs up against the increased toughness and reduced condition duration…

When it comes to traits, I was thinking of essentially doing a mix between the two builds. I really like the 200 toughness + extra might when wielding a flamethrower, which seems like it would make putting 20 points into Firearms worth it… however, I’d be sacrificing other stuff.

Been thinking about going 0 20 0 30 20, which basically means going for the 200 toughness (and perma might, 6-7 stacks) while wielding FT, as well as the reduced cripple, chill and immobilise duration. I would miss out on some protection though (3 sec, every 20 sec) and -20% dmg during stun/knockdown.

The main thing to keep in mind though, I guess, is that the 200 toughness from FT is permanent, it’s always there… whereas the reduced damage from the Inventions trait line is only there some of the time.

Thoughts?

in Engineer

aelen.5673

I put the above into a build…

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqelIqicn1SfF17IxIFde0gUU37K6h+tsjB-jkBBoLChZPFRjtMqIasKbYqXER1W0FRrWKAmUGB-w

The reason I take the reduced damage from guards/lords infusions is simply cause I will be using this gear for commanding, and commanding only. I have a different build (+gear) for PvE/roaming etc.

I have never used elixir gun much, so I’m not very used to it… but I’ve grown a bit addicted to tool kit, so I guess maybe I’m a bit biased.

Anyway… thoughts?

in Engineer

Rozbuska.5263

even for zerg badge etc…u can’t cap enough people with that dmg…and ofc smallscale it’s useless we are not talking about smallscale right now, i think u know smallscale builds good for engi.

Who said about full support? U runningkittenelixir not healing turret with 2 water fields. It’s much more better in zerg. And if u are commander u can call blasts and heal your zerg more efficiently.

Damage isnt issue. With good commander you have before fight 25 stacks of might every time and with guard leech and bloodlust stacks you hit like a truck even with Flame Jet. I usualy hit for 3-4k with every Jet.
Imo staying alive longer and keep constant preasure with bit lower damage is better than disengaging every few sec for heal.

Super Elixir is useless because of light field you just make your commander mad if you will use it. Agree turret has 2 water fields for support but medkit is more skill lag friendly. Ofc if you want better support use turret instead.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Rozbuska.5263

The main thing to keep in mind though, I guess, is that the 200 toughness from FT is permanent, it’s always there… whereas the reduced damage from the Inventions trait line is only there some of the time.

Thoughts?

If you get those 20 points into Inventions instead Firearms you will have also 200 toughness from that tree and you can pick that 2 awesome defensive traits. Only what you will lose are those mights from FT.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

aelen.5673

Oh kitten , that’s true of course. I haven’t been playing so long, so I kinda overlooked that like an idiot, hahaha.

in Engineer

aelen.5673

Also yes, I definitely prefer the turret. Since I really only really zerg when I’m commanding, I like to have the ability to put down a water field myself and call for blasts on it.

in Engineer

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

Bombs over Flamethrower as a Frontline Commander. Two reasons:

1. Superior Utility
  2. Produces Less Aggro

Bombs are somehow a little bit hard to manage, but especially in Frontline-Zerg-Combat they tend to get overlocked way more often (be it intentional or not).

Flamethrower attracts more easy-minded Players especially when you’re standing in the middle of the Enemies as it just seems more dangerous to them and applies more mental pressure.

As a Commander you want to live as long a possible while helping your Server as best as possible as in providing tactical, mental and practial support and not just Tag around for getting those shiney Badges. Also Flamethrower brings less utility then Bombkit does, like:

• AoE Knockback
  • AoE Immobilize
  • AoE Blind (kinda meh, but better then nothing)
  • AoE Confusion
  • AoE Burning (kinda meh, but better then nothing)
  • Fire Combo-Field
  • Smoke Combo-Field

Which can be used for example to safely finish of downed players, stacking might when called out, getting stealth when called out and immobilizing some lovely enemies that you just want to stand still.

Also taking a Superior Sigil of Hydromancy or Geomancy really helps with Bombs as it ’s just about your Bomb-Range. I do prefer the 3s AoE Chill of Hydromancy thought … an additional Chill is always pretty nice especially when it stops them from running away from you (or after you).

Here are two Builds I’d run them with:

Power-Bombs:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqelIq6ZH5SfF8LJxoCdOUB7L6h+tsj/oQutF-jUyAoLEUXAJHAEIwsXR0YLjFRjVZjpeJiqt3FRrWKgLWGB-w

Applies little to medium constant pressure – most people in the frontline have a high amount of Armor but at least it can’t just be cleaned off.

Condition-Bombs:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqelIq6ZH5SfF8LJxoCdOUB7L6h+tsj/oQuvF-jUyAoLEUXApFAkHwMZR0YLjFRjVJTEVruxM3FRrWKAYmGB-w

Applies way more pressure as it ignores their Armor and is also superior when you’re fighting solo, also with good Necros using Epidemic to it ’s full purpose it ’s just lovely to see those Confusion stacks get spread around. The downside is your Damage can be neglected with to less Condition Spam / Covering and to much Condition Cleanse going on. Depends on the Builds / Overall Skill.

Also consider switching out Geomancy with Hydromancy to keep people from running after you and taking EG or Rocket Boots over Toolkit or Elixir S for more Control, Finishers, Escapes, Heal and the Light Field.

YES! The Light Field.

It brings AoE Retaliation… enuff said. Even pre-nerf it ’s still pretty fun to see people killing themself (especially combined with Confusion for double the fun).

Not speaking about the additional Condition-Cleanse from Projectiles / Whirls …

Also I’d prefer Elixir X instead of Supply Crate for Zerg-Fights. Supply Crate lasts like a second in that situation even when it ’s Blast-Finisher and 2s Stun can be pretty usefull as well. Thought I guess it depends on preferance. Both are pretty ok.

Elixir brings Stability for the time of transformation, AoE Knockback and/or AoE-Blind and a bigger HP-Pool with it. It ‘s still kinda meh, but lasts longer and at least brings more utility for larger group fights (thought I’d instantly go out of transformation if you’re focused as a Tornado and have no Teammates left that can focus and kill those knocked back enemies).

Thought going Grenades with 10 additional points in Explosives and taking the Grenadier Trait for Zero-Range Nades or taking Knockback-Turrets for Knockback-Spamming are viable or at least fun options as well.

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

(edited by imaginary.6241)

in Engineer

Hvaran.6327

oh my guard………

in Engineer

tattoohead.3217

Bombs over Flamethrower as a Frontline Commander. Two reasons:

1. Superior Utility
  2. Produces Less Aggro

Bombs are somehow a little bit hard to manage, but especially in Frontline-Zerg-Combat they tend to get overlocked way more often (be it intentional or not).

Flamethrower attracts more easy-minded Players especially when you’re standing in the middle of the Enemies as it just seems more dangerous to them and applies more mental pressure.

As a Commander you want to live as long a possible while helping your Server as best as possible as in providing tactical, mental and practial support and not just Tag around for getting those shiney Badges. Also Flamethrower brings less utility then Bombkit does, like:

• AoE Knockback
  • AoE Immobilize
  • AoE Blind (kinda meh, but better then nothing)
  • AoE Confusion
  • AoE Burning (kinda meh, but better then nothing)
  • Fire Combo-Field
  • Smoke Combo-Field

Which can be used for example to safely finish of downed players, stacking might when called out, getting stealth when called out and immobilizing some lovely enemies that you just want to stand still.

Also taking a Superior Sigil of Hydromancy or Geomancy really helps with Bombs as it ’s just about your Bomb-Range. I do prefer the 3s AoE Chill of Hydromancy thought … an additional Chill is always pretty nice especially when it stops them from running away from you (or after you).

Here are two Builds I’d run them with:

Power-Bombs:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqelIq6ZH5SfF8LJxoCdOUB7L6h+tsj/oQutF-jUyAoLEUXAJHAEIwsXR0YLjFRjVZjpeJiqt3FRrWKgLWGB-w

Applies little to medium constant pressure – most people in the frontline have a high amount of Armor but at least it can’t just be cleaned off.

Condition-Bombs:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqelIq6ZH5SfF8LJxoCdOUB7L6h+tsj/oQuvF-jUyAoLEUXApFAkHwMZR0YLjFRjVJTEVruxM3FRrWKAYmGB-w

Applies way more pressure as it ignores their Armor and is also superior when you’re fighting solo, also with good Necros using Epidemic to it ’s full purpose it ’s just lovely to see those Confusion stacks get spread around. The downside is your Damage can be neglected with to less Condition Spam / Covering and to much Condition Cleanse going on. Depends on the Builds / Overall Skill.

Also consider switching out Geomancy with Hydromancy to keep people from running after you and taking EG or Rocket Boots over Toolkit or Elixir S for more Control, Finishers, Escapes, Heal and the Light Field.

YES! The Light Field.

It brings AoE Retaliation… enuff said. Even pre-nerf it ’s still pretty fun to see people killing themself (especially combined with Confusion for double the fun).

Not speaking about the additional Condition-Cleanse from Projectiles / Whirls …

Also I’d prefer Elixir X instead of Supply Crate for Zerg-Fights. Supply Crate lasts like a second in that situation even when it ’s Blast-Finisher and 2s Stun can be pretty usefull as well. Thought I guess it depends on preferance. Both are pretty ok.

Elixir brings Stability for the time of transformation, AoE Knockback and/or AoE-Blind and a bigger HP-Pool with it. It ‘s still kinda meh, but lasts longer and at least brings more utility for larger group fights (thought I’d instantly go out of transformation if you’re focused as a Tornado and have no Teammates left that can focus and kill those knocked back enemies).

Thought going Grenades with 10 additional points in Explosives and taking the Grenadier Trait for Zero-Range Nades or taking Knockback-Turrets for Knockback-Spamming are viable or at least fun options as well.

Sorry to quote such a long post but even though I am a fan of FT I also advocate bombs in zergs. Bombs are just lots of fun (unless your 1vX)

I do feel like they shine with a damage build though

in Engineer

Rozbuska.5263

I never took bombs into zerg fights because of little too small range but with that boost in next patch its starts interesting to give it a another shot:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Hvaran.6327

I never took bombs into zerg fights because of little too small range but with that boost in next patch its starts interesting to give it a another shot:-)

next patch is a nice buff for engis) escapcially for wvw stability, bombs etc…gonna read it again, maybe i missed that other classes will become even better)

in Engineer

aelen.5673

Yeah, was thinking about bombs as well when commanding, it’ll have to be something I try out in the future as well, cheers for your thoughts!

in Engineer

tattoohead.3217

Someone post a link to the patch notes, i found some speculation. Are there any confirmed updates?

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I am of the opposite opinion. I used a healing bomb build for months. I have found that FT is much better for leading.

When you are driving you are not the AoE DPS-er. Leave that to your necros and eles. Your sole role is to be tanky and stay up in a fight, in the middle of melee sometimes. Build for that. Bombs will not really help you stay up in a fight. Bombs have that annoying detonation delay. There is NOTHING comparable to FT #5 insta-cast blind.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

aelen.5673

@Chaba: yeah, my main concern is surviving to be honest, so at the moment I did indeed go 0 0 20 30 20 with FT, just giving that a roll. I haven’t been able to have a proper commanding session with it yet though (full time job fml), but whenever I run into a zerg, I seem pretty much impossible to die, which is kinda fun haha.