Engies in late-game PvE

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

After levelling all classes up to 80, I have found that the engineer is the only class to which I don’t understand well enough to know how to build/gear. That being said, I still want to have my engy be both viable and useful in late-game PvE and dungeon encounters.

Now I could try to dig through pages and pages of this sub-forum to try to glean what information is up-to-date and accurate, but that doesn’t sound like fun. So instead … what all builds/gearing do you find best for high viability in late-game PvE/dungeons?

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

Hybrid-Damage with some Survivability:

HGH with Nades 30/x/x/30/x

Allrounder, more selfish with limited Support.

High DD with low Survivability:

Static Discharge X/20+/x/x/25+
Multi-Kit (Bomb, Nade, Toolkit f. e.) 30/x/x/x/25+

Least forgiving, Speedrun, High Risk -> High Reward, High Vulnerability Stacking.

Support with high Survivability:

Heal-Bomber (HT, Bomb, EG, Thumper Turret f. e.) 10+/x/30/0-30/x

Most forgiving (in terms of survivability), Mightstacking, Waterblasting.

Just a rought, fast overview of some viable ones in Endgame-PvE.

Most importantly:

Switch Utilities and Trait-Skills often, depending on the situation and requirements. And optimally bring multiple Weapon- / Armor-Sets with you depending on your basic Trait-Setup (f. e. Zerker and PVT for High DD).

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

SynfulChaot.3169

I should probably note that for my alts, of which my engy is, I don’t bother with multiple armor sets. I prefer a single armor set for all of my PvE needs and I don’t intend to bother with WvW.

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I should probably note that for my alts, of which my engy is, I don’t bother with multiple armor sets. I prefer a single armor set for all of my PvE needs and I don’t intend to bother with WvW.

I’d suggest going with Berserker, then.

As for how construct the proper build, what kits are you looking to use?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

SynfulChaot.3169

I’ve mostly used the ‘nade kit so far, though I am not adverse to the bombs. I’ve tried the elixir gun and the tool kit, but I’m not a fan of either. I also prefer the rifle to the pistols, when it comes to the non-kit weapons. Rifle is just too fun.

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I’ve mostly used the ‘nade kit so far, though I am not adverse to the bombs. I’ve tried the elixir gun and the tool kit, but I’m not a fan of either. I also prefer the rifle to the pistols, when it comes to the non-kit weapons. Rifle is just too fun.

30/5/0/10/25 is probably the most balanced Grenade Kit setup right now. Go from there and tweak it to your liking.

If you want to give bombs another try, I’m running 25/25/0/10/10 with mine right now. First link in my signature.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

SynfulChaot.3169

30/5/0/10/25 is probably the most balanced Grenade Kit setup right now. Go from there and tweak it to your liking.

Do ’nades work best with power or with condi? Or a hybrid?

If you want to give bombs another try, I’m running 25/25/0/10/10 with mine right now. First link in my signature.

How do bombs fare in dungeons? More powerful or less powerful, damage-wise, than a ’nade build? And how does the build handle ranged combat?

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Do ’nades work best with power or with condi? Or a hybrid?

Both. Shrapnel Grenade contributes a lot of bleeding damage. If you’re looking for just one set of armor for your Engineer, though, I think you should stick with Berserker.

How do bombs fare in dungeons? More powerful or less powerful, damage-wise, than a ’nade build? And how does the build handle ranged combat?

I think bombs fare a lot better in dungeons than most people think. I used to think they weren’t worth using, but have been using them a lot more since the 240-radius buff. You spend an awful lot of time in dungeons stacking against walls anyway for Fiery Greatsword and Whirlwind Attack, so the Bomb Kit fits right at home.

Only fight inside dungeons I can think of that forces you to play at range is TA F/U Nightmare Tree. Which is an issue for most builds in the game. I guess Fire Shaman too. But 25 Firearms gives you the flexibility to power up your Rifle if you’re really entering a fight you think you cannot survive in melee.

As for whether it’s more or less powerful, the Bomb Kit attacks faster, has an auto-attack that scales better with Power, and has a fire field for stacking Might. Only reason that a Grenade Kit Engineer will outperform is if literally no one in your group is stacking Vulnerability. But between both kits, I’d place the Bomb Kit as the superior one in terms of direct damage.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

SynfulChaot.3169

Both. Shrapnel Grenade contributes a lot of bleeding damage. If you’re looking for just one set of armor for your Engineer, though, I think you should stick with Berserker.

So power then. Gotcha. I often run my damage sets with some knights, valkyrie, or assassin pieces to emphasize a stat or to add it a small modicum of survivability. Would a mix potentially be better or is straight up pure zerker the preferred?

I think bombs fare a lot better in dungeons than most people think. I used to think they weren’t worth using, but have been using them a lot more since the 240-radius buff. You spend an awful lot of time in dungeons stacking against walls anyway for Fiery Greatsword and Whirlwind Attack, so the Bomb Kit fits right at home.

I can’t think of any fights off the top of my head where I am absolutely forced to play at range. At least, not in dungeons.

Hmm. For bombs, though, I would think that you’d need a touch more survivability than pure zerker as you’d be forced into melee the entire time and engies don’t seem to have the damage mitigation of the other classes.

And I can think of a few encounters where ranged is still often used. With a bomb build do you use the rifle in those encounters or is the build compatible with ’nades when necessary?

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

So power then. Gotcha. I often run my damage sets with some knights, valkyrie, or assassin pieces to emphasize a stat or to add it a small modicum of survivability. Would a mix potentially be better or is straight up pure zerker the preferred?

Here’s a rule of thumb which is relevant to every class: take as much damage gear as you can survive with.

If you feel uncomfortable with full Berserker, go 3/3 with Knight. Or wear full Knight armor with Berserker weapons and jewelry. Mix it up to whatever you feel most comfortable with. As you get more used to the build and knowing what to dodge and knowing when to Smoke Bomb in boss fights, start slotting in more Berserker gear.

Hmm. For bombs, though, I would think that you’d need a touch more survivability than pure zerker as you’d be forced into melee the entire time and engies don’t seem to have the damage mitigation of the other classes.

It’s good enough. I’ve run most dungeon paths with the Bomb Kit now and have fared just fine. A lot of it as about simply knowing the content more than what range you’re standing from … though it does help having spent the past 13 months running the Flamethrower from 425 range when farming dungeons.

If you’re really that concerned about survivability, drop the Elixir Gun for the Tool Kit. Pry Bar doesn’t deal as much damage as Acid Bomb does, but Gear Shield is one of the best block skills in the game. And you also have Static Shield.

We don’t have as many blocks as Guardians or as much health as Warriors, but we have our ways. Remember that stealth is a very powerful de-aggro, and that Smoke Bomb can function beyond simply blinding targets as a stealth field.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Divus.3175

Divus.3175

I’m used to run modified hgh build for might stacking – perma 10 might stacks, with a guardian it’s mostly 25 at the moment with fury for yourself.

Armor – rampager – for additional burning damage and poison. Runes – any might stacking combo. Weapon – rifle.

Traits 30/10/0/30/0 – grenadier in first line, 409 formula and hgh in alchemy. Rifle is superb on close combat with #3 and #5 + knockback if some enemy gets far from your stacked friends. Granade barrage when you’re close range give about 4k-8,5k damage when you’re close to enemy. Elixir H, Elixir B and Elixir U – first two for boons and condi cleanse (area condi cleanse on toolbelt), elixir U toolbelt skill to support your guardian / mesmer with projectile reflection. Supply crate is always cool.

I run with my engi mostly when I’m going for new TA path, on other dungeons I like running my alt – mesmer. I feel it’s more needed in many situations and I don’t want to be dependent from my teammates.

[KING] Desolation – Pikan Parom (engineer), Grace Parom (ele)

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

SynfulChaot.3169

Here’s a rule of thumb which is relevant to every class: take as much damage gear as you can survive with.

If you feel uncomfortable with full Berserker, go 3/3 with Knight. Or wear full Knight armor with Berserker weapons and jewelry. Mix it up to whatever you feel most comfortable with. As you get more used to the build and knowing what to dodge and knowing when to Smoke Bomb in boss fights, start slotting in more Berserker gear.

For damage, of course, you always want the highest output you can survive with. This isn’t my first 80, after all. S’my eighth. My main is a glassy ranger.

As for comfort level? That isn’t my concern. Mine is for maximal effectiveness. I run my mesmer with zerker/knights as the knights adds toughness that is shared with my phantasms. I know that some mix assassin with zerker to raise the prec a bit for more reliable crits. I was solely curious if there was particular need or use for the hybrid statting for engies as there may be for other classes.

If you’re really that concerned about survivability, drop the Elixir Gun for the Tool Kit. Pry Bar doesn’t deal as much damage as Acid Bomb does, but Gear Shield is one of the best block skills in the game. And you also have Static Shield.

We don’t have as many blocks as Guardians or as much health as Warriors, but we have our ways. Remember that stealth is a very powerful de-aggro, and that Smoke Bomb can function beyond simply blinding targets as a stealth field.

For weapon, I’d really prefer the rifle. It is far more enjoyable for me to use. While pistols are great and all, the rifle is a pure joy for me to use. S’honestly the biggest reason I do play my engy. For that rifle. So that would leave the survivability skills to kits and utilities.

With bombs, it seems, you tend to run two kits. How is it that you deal with stuns/CC and conditions?

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

For damage, of course, you always want the highest output you can survive with. This isn’t my first 80, after all. S’my eighth. My main is a glassy ranger.

As for comfort level? That isn’t my concern. Mine is for maximal effectiveness. I run my mesmer with zerker/knights as the knights adds toughness that is shared with my phantasms. I know that some mix assassin with zerker to raise the prec a bit for more reliable crits. I was solely curious if there was particular need or use for the hybrid statting for engies as there may be for other classes.

I meant no offense.

For weapon, I’d really prefer the rifle. It is far more enjoyable for me to use. While pistols are great and all, the rifle is a pure joy for me to use. S’honestly the biggest reason I do play my engy. For that rifle. So that would leave the survivability skills to kits and utilities.

With bombs, it seems, you tend to run two kits. How is it that you deal with stuns/CC and conditions?

Healing Mist (Elixir Gun) is a stunbreaker.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

SynfulChaot.3169

Healing Mist (Elixir Gun) is a stunbreaker.

Ah. Missed that as that’s the toolbelt skill. And Super Elixir for the (unlisted) condi clear? Probably why I didn’t consider it before. I’ll need to try Elixir Gun and Bomb Kit then. Probably not pure zerker, though. Mostly zerker, still.

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Regardless of your weapon choice you’ll be in melee range the majority of the time anyway; unless you’re fighting from an extreme range, like 1.5k, being in range usually increases the likelihood to die and hampers or endangers your group. So, stay in melee, for your own safety and for the success of your group.
In my experience defensive stats hardly help you to survive in dungeons, what keeps you alive is Vigor; Engineers can keep up Vigor permanently with Speedy Kits and Invigorating Speed or Infused Precision and Invigoration Speed (likely the only choice after the next patch).

And I can think of a few encounters where ranged is still often used. With a bomb build do you use the rifle in those encounters or is the build compatible with ’nades when necessary?

You could put 5 more points in Explosives to be able to switch to grenades if needed.

Engies in late-game PvE

in Engineer

SynfulChaot.3169

Regardless of your weapon choice you’ll be in melee range the majority of the time anyway; unless you’re fighting from an extreme range, like 1.5k, being in range usually increases the likelihood to die and hampers or endangers your group. So, stay in melee, for your own safety and for the success of your group.
In my experience defensive stats hardly help you to survive in dungeons, what keeps you alive is Vigor; Engineers can keep up Vigor permanently with Speedy Kits and Invigorating Speed or Infused Precision and Invigoration Speed (likely the only choice after the next patch).

Again, I know of basic tactics. Again, not my first 80. And also again, some encounters promote ranged instead of melee. I don’t intend to always stay at ranged, but there are some encounters where it is preferred as well as times when you must slightly move out of melee to survive.

My experience has shown that defensive stats can make a difference. Yes, avoidance is best. But even the best occasionally take a hit, and a bit of defense can mean you can take two hard hits instead of only one.

You could put 5 more points in Explosives to be able to switch to grenades if needed.

I’ll need to consider that.