Engineer - need lubbins <3

in Engineer

Posted by: Nightpath.7415

Nightpath.7415

So I started GW2 wanting to play a necro realllllyyy bad. Then I tried it, and it felt wrong, like eyeing up a nun, or getting in a fistfight at the special olympics.

That led me to trying some other classes. I went to the mesmer. Not a bad class, but it felt like a Rainbow parade with all the trimmings. Sparkles, pretty sounds, acrobatics and ghost friends. Then I had enough with that.

I settled on Engineer. Seriously, what sounds more like a sweet cup of pwn than running around as a 2 foot tall bomb toting, flamethrowing, floppy eared miscreant? Maybe a hobo millionaire, but since that’s not in the picture Engineer w00t w00t.
Been playing her a while, a lot of fun, versatility and nifty to look at. However, like everyone else that’s played an MMO I do have a few beefs.

When you think of an engineer you think “blow stuff up, make cool inventions, blow more stuff up, build something, blow stuff up”. Engineers have all of this…but it’s implementation is rather…meh.

Turrets for example. Fun to use, can have a HUGE impact in a battle, but they are like an Asus tablet, if it gets touched it dies. They are so weak it’s a shame. Any AoE using class can demolish my beloved turretsies, it’s ridiculous. I know that we can lay 3 at a time, but seriously? They go down faster than a politician’s career after getting caught kitten a prostitute. Add their s l o w fire time, and immobility, and well…it kind of makes them a lame duck. I call this issue Turrets Syndrome.

And easy fix to this would be to make our toolkit make them mobile when they are out, not blow them up. And assist on our target and defend only, not go off like a crazed jealous ex-gf in a bar and start assaulting everything in site. I’d rather a longer recast timer that started once they were laid out (20-30secs) and have to pick them back up to shorten the timer (like now, but with a much longer bonus to recast, and a bit shorter life – work it out, you’re the devs).

Another problem I have is we are a ranged class. Sa-weeeet! But warriors giggle as they chase us down with BETTER range and pewpew us in the dirt with much more powerful attacks. (sadpandafacehere). Wtf is up with that? And don’t have any of this “but your not ranged” because we certainly ARE. We can only equip ranged weapons (besides the tool kit for prybar entertainment). Why in the living hell are our attacks subpar? Medium range? lulzzzz no. Rifle/pistol need 1200 range, or keep the current and up our damage with abilities, especially our pistol #2 that misses everything in town (just got done a fight where a warrior I think was afk was missed by every shot and still I died). Srs? A shot. That misses anything and everything….are Engineers = Helen Keller??? I KNOW at character creation they have eyes…I specced mine extra large with big irises and they are RED!! like I am stoned!

Elixirs and the Elixir gun…kind of not engineer-y. That’s more alchemist (should be another class put in the game, just sayin). They work.

Bomb kit? Wtf is that? Junk I say, JUNK! I laid out the Big kitten bomb from my tool kit and it blew up in a crowd in sPvP and never did squat. I may as well have farted. I haven’t much messed around with it, but to me it’s junk. Grenades seem to do similar and you can toss them. Remove the bomb kit, add something else like a kitten kit so we can take care of other engineers when they get it hard by the opposite team in PvP.
Grenades. Good to play with…like my wiener when I’m alone. Blow all over the place, aimable, sexy.

Tool kit. Interesting. Pry bar kitty meow meow whatever that spec is. Hits hard but slow, like those kids that eat glue in the class for “speshul” students. Speed up the smacks (all abilities for that matter, feels like my toon is having an internal debate before she attacks., make the gear shield a shield instead of something that pops up…would be a nice engineer tank line (make Juggernaut affect this also…I’m the Juggernaut b**ch).

Not asking for Warrior DPS, or Guardian damage mitigation, but we have a lot of unique abilities, to the point that it dilutes what we are. I feel like a Jurassic Park sequel…grand scheme, great ideas, shines once in a while but is tepid…a few changes would have made this class (and Jurassic Park 2+3) quite good.

So for the TL;DR lazy bums :
Fix turrets. Make them move, shoot faster, kittens to the homeless.
Bomb kit is useless, they are like lazy grenades.
Further range on guns, more damage, pistol ability#2 shouldn’t miss.
P.S. – I like my mobile turret idea instead of blowing them up.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ejiofor.4801

Ejiofor.4801

First off…

You are hilarious! While reading it, I spit up my coffee. A fun read, and a nice, humor filled approach to the issues that are associated with Engineer.

Second…

I was drawn to the Engineer just like most. Bombs? Yes! Mines? Oh really? Sign me up! Turrets, Mortar? Can this get any better? Rocket Boots, A Wrench that packs a wallop, Personal Battering Ram!!? Are you serious!??? OMG I gotta change my pants!

I was shocked when I first saw the Warrior with the Rifle…Was not happy about it, considering my Rifle is a pee shooter compared to the firepower and range their rifle has. If ranged, we should get their Rifle Damage and Range Stats. It’s that Simple. Warriors have access to so many weapons…What do we get? Rifle, Pistol/Pistol, Pistol/Shield…and lackluster kits, of which most of those kit abilities are bugged to Hell and back.
I was really expecting alot from the turrets. And realizing that they are underwhelming when I deployed all three(like you I saw them VAPORIZED inside of 2 seconds in WvW even with the traits that buff them up and was like "Wait, what? WTF?O.o) gave me pause…and made me swap to a Rifle/Elixir/Tool Kit build. I want the Turrets. Love them. That’s the heart of the Engineer, because there are so many of them to play with.

Then…
Underwhelmed. It’s safe to say that most who play Engineers have gripes with the ‘versatility’, and we do, as you say, NEED SOME SERIOUS LUBBINS.

As for Turrets…yeah they absolutely need to be a hell of alot faster in their firing rates(about as fast as you can use Hip Shot or Explosive shot). And instead of the wasted ‘Overcharge’, why not make the Turret’s Overcharge ability go off every Third Attack?

I’ll keep pluggin’ away with my Engineer, in the hopes that the designers read threads like these, know that we are not hate-filled, entitled nerds that DEMAND A FIX. Most of us Engineer lovers are reasonable, and offer up solid solutions to a class that is just above functionality, but on the verge of being seriously broken, and beyond repair.

Again, great post. Love those ideas!

Gearstrip Jones, Engineer, Borlis Pass, [KPUP]
“Which Lo Pan? Little ol’ basket case on wheels, or the ten-foot-tall roadblock?!”
-Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China

(edited by Ejiofor.4801)

in Engineer

Posted by: Troponin.4081

Troponin.4081

On paper, everything about the engineer just seems amazing. I too was so pumped about this prof. It was the first prof and I thought it would be the only. So I started off grabbing the “necessities” with skills, and even the necessities just seemed meh once you get them and use them. It’s ok, because I was holding out for the Elixir gun, the ultimate in condition damage, right?? Nope, what a let down. The damage is mediocre compared to every other class condition damage build. It’s absolutely horrid. There are maybe 3 skills in the ENTIRE bunch that are decent, the rest are complete lackluster.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

Don’t touch my bomb kit.

in Engineer

Nightpath.7415

Someone uses teh bombz0rz???

in Engineer

Sabyne.6329

Yep, they heal if you’re kind to them. Don’t touch my bomb kit.

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

I’ve always loved the explosives side to the engineer. Never liked how quickly turrets go down or their terrible damage. Grenades and bombs have always been my favorites, although grenades more than bombs. Bombs don’t get good (In PvE) until you get healing bombs, and even then only because grenades just got nerfed.

Bombs are “good” if you like to PvE tank for a short while in full healer gear. The engi healing scales horribly with healing power but we don’t have anything else that gives us that kind of survivability. I’ve tanked “some” champions for a long time using healing bombs, then heal turret, then double super elixir (kit refinement) with healing mist. After that I usually go down. I write “some” because depending on the champion I might last the whole fight or I might go down in seven seconds after using all my heals and while skills get off cooldown.

One thing that makes me feel like the tank build on the engineer is kind of broken is that there’s always a point where I’m still standing strong against a boss but my health is just ground down while all my heals are on cooldown. Also, Its infuriating to be paired with such weak heals on a boss battle where you might get three shotted.

For tank engineers to ever be good (In PvE) we would need to have more healing abilities at our disposal, or make the current ones stronger. Super Elixir is too weak, healing turret doesn’t scale well, and healing bombs don’t heal enough to keep you alive for long in dungeons.

in Engineer

Sabyne.6329

If they could boost super elixir a bit, that would be nice. Maybe not as much as when it was when bugged but it could use a buff. I feel we don’t necessarily need much more healing but maybe more access to protection which helps a ton when melee with bombs.

in Engineer

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

Nightpath… First off, I disagree and I think you are a bit misinformed.
Second… You shouldn’t write class-related threads. You should write comedy gold.

in Engineer

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

kitten is so funny, I NEEDED to post.

and ya, I agree. with most of it.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Engineer

Nightpath.7415

Oxstar, it’s alright to disagree, but just an fyi : my opinions are always correct.

I still wonder why in the fluffykitten weapon DPS doesn’t affect our sweet kits…zomg I’d love to scorch that earth Vietnam style and be able to kill something besides the random rabbit that jumped into the flame (even that’s iffy, sometimes they run away Q_Q ).

It’s pretty snazzy that sigils and crap have an affect now, nothing like prancing around with the elixer gun pewpewpew’ing away with full stacks of w00tdition damage making things bleed like a vampire victim. Even better in pvp when people look, laugh and stop playing because they are having a seizure…I nearly win 18% of the time!!

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

Nah, your opinion ain’t always correct, no one’s is, and expecially not here.
Bombs are really useful in PvE. They do better spammable damage than wrench and can be a great addition to a healing engineers loadout thanks to elixr infused bombs.
As for PvP smoke screen is pretty awesome, I know some complain that it was nerfed, but did those people ever stop to think that blind can be applied way outside the circle with ranged finishers? Like with tranq darts, added weakness.

And sorry to say it mate, but if you’re getting owned that much you’re probably slipping up more than an iceskater in a soap convention. I have tried using tranqs as my main damage source, but the bleeds are too shortlived and weak, and the impact damage sucks. 4 skill is a decent escape tool, but the very small area of damage is laughable. 3, I guess it’s good on a melee target that isn’t already trying to bash your skull in.

The kits are like ketchup and mustard – Eat them alone and it’s terrible, but combine it on top of something that works great and you got a wholesome dish.

in Engineer

Nightpath.7415

There you go being wrong again…silly Oxstar.

I haven’t played with the bombs much at all, they whoomp out big numbers which make my pants stiffen, but maaaannn…we should get an ability to make them STICKY BOMBS for 30 seconds or something. omg that would be omg.

Either way you cut it, we arent OMGuardians, WTFThievess, or WTFBBQROFLCOPTERWarriors

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

I haven’t played with the bombs much at all, they whoomp out big numbers which make my pants stiffen, but maaaannn…we should get an ability to make them STICKY BOMBS for 30 seconds or something. omg that would be omg.

Either way you cut it, we arent OMGuardians, WTFThievess, or WTFBBQROFLCOPTERWarriors

No, we are a less seasoned mix of all of those – Like a burger from McDonalds. It’s not the finest cheese, beef, or salad dressing, but it’s STILL a burger from McDonalds – Which some love and some hate.
And stickybombs, cmon man, this ain’t TF2. Besides you have a mine field with remote detonation.

in Engineer

Posted by: Daigle.8497

Daigle.8497

So if engineers are a Mcdonald’s burger…

Warriors: Kobe marbled beef steaks to our ground beef patty
Thieves: French artisan pastries to our bun
Necromancers: English Farmhouse Cheese to our Kraft Singles
Guardians: Greek Salad to our wilted lettuce
Rangers: Honey Dijon Mustard
Mesmers: Italian pasta to our Ketchup
Elementalists: a Five guys burger to our McDonalds burger

(Not the best of analogies, but I think this gets the point across)

in Engineer

Nightpath.7415

mmm McEngineer Burger with cheese

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

All I can say Daigle is that you really like to take thigns out of context and then blow them WAY out of proportion.

Yes, it’s the secret to our genius brains.

in Engineer

Nightpath.7415

It’s snowstorming out, I’ll be back to post something wtfawsome when I get done doing donuts in the Walmart parking lot in my 1985 AMC Eagle., laughing at the Civics that are stuck.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ejiofor.4801

Ejiofor.4801

I cannot stop laughing, man! That last one with the Warrior!!! ROFL!!!!! XD Dude you are kittenin’ HILARIOUS! Who describes something like that!???!?!?! Awesome, man

Gearstrip Jones, Engineer, Borlis Pass, [KPUP]
“Which Lo Pan? Little ol’ basket case on wheels, or the ten-foot-tall roadblock?!”
-Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China

in Engineer

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

maybe engineer will get a new skill:
[Lube]

use this skill whenever you are R***ed

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in Engineer

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

Engineer feels like the damage modifiers are all off whack. I never question my utility. I question my damage.

I hit them for 300-500. They hit me for 2k. I hit them for 2k, they hit me for 6k. kitten for tat, something is quite wrong here.

I tried making the most glassy cannon build I could, but all it did was let me hit for less than all others while allowing me to die much more. ArenaNet nailed our glass qualites, but forgot to add any cannon.

The only builds that seem to have any ‘balance’ (and I use that loosely) are our defensive builds. I do notice a difference then, but not by much. An enemy glass cannon should suffer the trade off of their low defense, but I can’t do anything to them but live. And once everything is on cooldown, I can’t even live.

My theory is this: Beta Engineers had superior defense—to the point they were near unkillable. Beta Engineers never had much in damage though, as a tradeoff for that defense. Then, during beta, that defense was nerfed hardcore to match everyone else. Our damage was never adjusted.

When you can faceroll on your alts and do better than your main, something is off.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

When you can faceroll on your alts and do better than your main, something is off.

This is my experience also, and one of those alts is a necro, which is also littered with bugs and lackluster traits and synergies.

(faceroll might be an overstatement in my case, but I’m better with those alts, at least)

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

(edited by Eviator.9746)

in Engineer

Nightpath.7415

I’m going to roll me up a wrrior, get drunk, roll my face on the keyboard for IwinLOLZ. That way I’ll get to have 2x the fun.

If i somehow end up in a dungeon ANet will hire me to be a boss. Not a 1 shot bunny mob like the engineer, but a BOSS. They;‘ll have to bring in a 25man WoW class raid to pwn me. Why? Bcoz I’ll be an OP GW2 Warrior!

in Engineer

George Steel.1804

Even with the slight buff turrets received, I still think many of the points the OP makes are still valid and problematic.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

Please… Again, this post is from DECEMBER! >< It’s not valid at all, for anything!

Attachments:

in Engineer

George Steel.1804

Please… Again, this post is from DECEMBER! >< It’s not valid at all, for anything!

Has poison volley been touched? Are turrets viable? Can they function at range with such clunky skills (looking at you, rifle). Does Engi as a profession not suffer from the “hybrid” syndrome?

The answer, I think, is still no, regardless of posting date.

I also thought it was quite hilarious, shame on me for trying to brighten up someone’s day !

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

Nah, your opinion ain’t always correct, no one’s is, and expecially not here

i have to be “that guy” again; so, technically, opinion is ALWAYS correct to the opinionated one.

what you said is incorrect.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

Has poison volley been touched? Are turrets viable? Can they function at range with such clunky skills (looking at you, rifle). Does Engi as a profession not suffer from the “hybrid” syndrome?

I also thought it was quite hilarious, shame on me for trying to brighten up someone’s day !

You think the rifle is “clunky” ?

you, sir, have lost your forum necro privileges.

come back when you both know how to read the content BETWEEN when this thread died a natural healthy death and what is going on in the community today and also how to play.

just because YOU don’t like something does not mean that the thing is broken or does not work.

ie, rifle, turrets, poison volley.

perhaps Lego Online is more your speed, where every block is shaped the same way and it is more up to you to be creative than it is for the devs?

in Engineer

Posted by: Aethyl.7519

Aethyl.7519

Actually, I found that post quite funny, and as an Engineer lover, I agree on most of the points here, with some exceptions.

So first, the exceptions:

-Bombs are not meant to be as damaging as the grenades, but as better CC abilities which, when traited right, can support groups with minors but noticeable heals.

-Elixir/Elixir Guns don’t feel so out of place for me. As you said, it’s more alchemy that engineering, but the Engineer of GW2 is a mix of those two specialties. It also allows for even more variety, the big strength of the Engineer.

Then, about the notable points.

-Yes, the turrets still need adjusting. I like the idea of mobile turrets, but if it doesn’t get implemented, we should get something else in our toolbet for sure when they are deployed. Just a “blow them up” button is underwhelming and useless.
We should also be able to force them to attack a specific target instead of their totally random targetting system we have right now.
Turrets are interesting because they can bring supportive firepower to gunfights, but as it stands right now, it’s useless because they will always fire at the wrong target.
So give us a new toolbelt skill, in F5, “Fire at will”, focusing all your deployed turrets to one specific target, with maybe the increased fire rate you were talking about.

-Yes, our rifle feels a little underwhelming to me when compared to the Warrior’s one.
It may has good CC abilities, but still lack power and fluidity.
I may be wrong of course, but that’s my feeling about it, after having tested both.
Why the Gunner class gets the short end of the stick when using rifles is beyond my comprehension, when the Warrior can already use so many different weapons.

Also, the 2# ability of the pistol should not miss so much, just compares it to the “Volley” ability of the, once again, Warrior.
It just makes no sense to have a ranged ability requiring to be rubbing our pistol in the face of the enemy.

Another problem for me, which may only be personal, is the cooldown of the two shield skills, way too long for my tastes, even traited.

TLDR: The Engineer indeed still needs some improvements to finally be equal to other classes without having to rely on special builds like the HGH one, and be as versatile as they were supposed to be in the first place.

(edited by Aethyl.7519)

in Engineer

George Steel.1804

You think the rifle is “clunky” ?

you, sir, have lost your forum necro privileges.

come back when you both know how to read the content BETWEEN when this thread died a natural healthy death and what is going on in the community today and also how to play.

just because YOU don’t like something does not mean that the thing is broken or does not work.

ie, rifle, turrets, poison volley.

perhaps Lego Online is more your speed, where every block is shaped the same way and it is more up to you to be creative than it is for the devs?

Oh yeah you must be right, everything that currently exists in the game is how the devs want it, that’s why they never change anything.

Wait. Guardian scepter range incr. 900>1200, turret health buffed, pistol whip damage reduced flat 30%, quickness cut in half, revealed debuff increased 1 second, yeah these aren’t huge changes or anything.

Sorry, but in a highly mobile game such as GW2, things such as turrets and guardian symbols are left in the dust. Yeah, there might be a presence in point-guarding sPvP, but these skills simply don’t function with the fluidity of shouts and other utilities. (turrets suffer from no mobility AND bad, bad AI)

You dont think the rifle is clunky? Please, tell me how a 1000 range weapon should be in point blank to be effective. Please tell me how overcharge shot will knock you down even if you have stability, and will fail to knock your enemy down if they have stability. Please tell me how fluid jump shot feels.

And there’s the door —>

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

hello, i am a highly immobile bunker who owns face in tournaments with his turrets and rifle by controlling attackers and watching them die rather than lifting a manicured asura claw in effort.

thanks for showing me in!

try taking off your Clydesdale blinders and you will see that there are countless scenarios that don’t involve you standing still at max range like a kitten charr hoping to kill people before they notice your projectiles.

try engaging your opponents .. the engie is not a “ranged” class, it has weapons and skills with some range.

PS: The AI which your turrets lack is yours.

(edited by nakoda.4213)

in Engineer

Posted by: athuria.2751

athuria.2751

Please tell me how overcharge shot will knock you down even if you have stability, and will fail to knock your enemy down if they have stability.

Easy: It doesn’t. I’ve shot that thing plenty of times under stability and I haven’t been tossed back once.

And annoying as the self-cc is, I’ve never actually found myself in danger for using it, and it’s an auto-cure for all movement-impeding conditions—which can really hurt on an Engi.

Jump Shot’s animation could be a little smoother, and it’s currently snagged by Rifled Barrels I think (I don’t have that so I don’t get the hitch), but it’s still a very strong and versatile skill, effective as either a gap-closer or gap-creator, steering yourself out of the enemy’s frontline, and kicking someone pretty violently in the teeth. And it stacks vuln.

I also don’t think max range = most effective range—rifle is a very mobile weapon, it’s well built for moving in on an enemy so that you can use it close up—and then you can lock them down away from you, and continue firing them while they may need to get back into range to hit you. Hip Shot and Net Shot have such long ranges so that the gaps you create aren’t actually a handicap (because Overcharged Shot still knocks the enemy away even if it doesn’t kick you down), because you can continue to fire at them and lock down an enemy.

I don’t understand the envy for the Warrior’s rifle, beyond people just wanting more damage, because it’s so bland—it keeps an enemy at range and shoots them. That’s it. That’s all it does. kitten, that’s still what our rifle can do. Ours can also do so much more and has excellent synergy with itself to do it, and makes for excellent control to allow us to get the range we desire for whatever kits we’re using as well—because you can lock a target at range too if you want, and your grenade kit might appreciate that.

Syrlya | Sylvari Mesmer
Arabelle Jones | Human Engineer
Stormbluff Isle

in Engineer

Posted by: Aethyl.7519

Aethyl.7519

Wat? When my turret suddenly switch of target because a trash mob pop right next to it during a boss fight it’s my fault?

Also, the creator of this thread probably isn’t a computer, so I highly doubt the fact that he has any kind of Artificial Intelligence.

I still think that it would be appreciable to choose the target of our turrets, or to let them choose if we want so. It would just make them even more efficient, especially in PvE.

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

some people don’t have to duck, everything goes over their head anyway

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

I was shocked when I first saw the Warrior with the Rifle…Was not happy about it, considering my Rifle is a pee shooter compared to the firepower and range their rifle has. If ranged, we should get their Rifle Damage and Range Stats.

Engi has equal rifle firepower when traited and a much more viable way to land everything it can do.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

hello, i am a highly immobile bunker who owns face in tournaments with his turrets and rifle by controlling attackers and watching them die rather than lifting a manicured asura claw in effort.

try taking off your Clydesdale blinders and you will see that there are countless scenarios that don’t involve you standing still at max range like a kitten charr hoping to kill people before they notice your projectiles.

try engaging your opponents .. the engie is not a “ranged” class, it has weapons and skills with some range.

Your comparing playing “just tournaments” with the whole game, who’s wearing the blinders now?
Perhaps leave the mists for once and try wvwvw which is a complete different ballgame mr “highly immobile bunker who owns face in tournaments with his turrets and rifle by controlling attackers and watching them die rather than lifting a manicured asura claw in effort.”

in Engineer

Posted by: iKeostuKen.2738

iKeostuKen.2738

This was really interesting to read! xD Good job.
I agree, I still want that Switch weapon thing (`) to add a scope to our rifles for 5 different long range skills.

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

For PVE open world trash mobs bomb kit is massive. Smoke stops them from hurting you, concussion makes them hurt themselves instead, same with fire bomb, and bomb is just a lovely lovely AOE.

The only meh bomb is the glue bomb, as i am of the (old school?) opinion that when you need to kite to stay alive the game is broken or you’re abusing mechanics. Avoiding massive hits from bosses sure, but running in circles the whole fight means to me that you have taken on something you’re not supposed to fight yet.

Would not mind seeing an alternative to bomb and rifle for our longest range. Especially as it is only rifle #1 that has said range, the rest are virtually melee (complete with gap closer, go figure).

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

Your comparing playing “just tournaments” with the whole game, who’s wearing the blinders now?

ANet, sadly. The profession skills and overall balance is related to SPVP point holding and capture, not roaming PVE or WVW.

Observe how for instance necromancer wells fits ever so perfectly over the surface of a capture point, making them perfect for forcing an attacker into trading their survival for an attempted capture.

In WVW they are virtually worthless unless you manage to immobilize someone inside it, or you well bomb a door zerg.

And in PVE you need to do what your not supposed to do, tank the mobs. This so that they stay on the wells for the full duration.

It’s like someone inside ANet started a project to build a MOBA based on the PVP arenas of GW1, then some exec found that they needed to make another GW game or they risked splitting their fan base.

End result being the MOBA project extended to incorporate a PVE continuation of GW1, but without the engine or game mechanics being reworked much to take the differences into account.

And so we have a game saddled with culling issues and nonsensical limitations (condition stacking).

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

actually my point was that turrets lacking mobility wasn’t an issue in a place where turrets are clearly designed to HOLD something.

why would you use turrets in a fast paced dungeon? spec nades.
why would you use turrets in wuvwuv roaming? that’s just stupid.

Gear up and spec according to your needs. This game does not punish you for changing specs like others used to. That is intentional so that you can change things.

I don’t use turrets in wuvwuv, I use Elixir S and Rocket Boots with my FT, and gear for pow and crit rather than tough and crit like i do is spvp.

maybe you should try actually playing THE GAME and stop pretending like reading the forums gives you any relevant experience or knowledge of how the game works.

hint: forums are for sharing experience .. not gaining it.

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

Gear up and spec according to your needs. This game does not punish you for changing specs like others used to. That is intentional so that you can change things.

A retrait cost and potentially the need for a whole different armor set seems very close to punishment in my eyes. Never mind having to trek back to a city to actually do the traiting and get the armor out of storage (no way do i have the inventory capacity to run around with multiple armor sets).

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

ummmmmm

pve is all about farming gold and making money. if you cannot handle this, don’t play.

the point of pve is to farm for gold and gear, so if you are not succeeding at this, l2p.

go in to every other forum and find threads about how so and so had multiple sets of gear in their bags for different situations. THIS IS INTENDED.

You want more inventory space? BUY IT. that is what those gems are for and that is how you keep funding new content for your precious kitten vs environment play.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

They need more then lubbins they need a complete rework with an eye on physics and someone knowledgeable on just how explosives/bullets/attack speed works on these contraptions and like the other two weaker classes that have been horribly ignored for so long (ranger/necro) pets and their AI need a complete overhaul as well. There’s a reason why other games had to give their pets a 90% AOE damage immunity and it’s because they learned from the mistake of making them entirely too weak.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

ya, cuz this fantasy game needs more realistic ballistic models for attacking…

dragons, monsters, talking trees, egotistical rats, freakishly tall dwarves, surprisingly non-self-sufficient cats, and a population of the most effeminate metrosexual humans in gaming history.

that’d jive well with the magic and fantasy.

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

ya, cuz this fantasy game needs more realistic ballistic models for attacking…

Yep you got that right. Fantasy doesn’t mean they can just throw all physics out the window, we get splashed with water when we come out of a pool right? or how about getting burnt by elementalist fire powers? that works correctly, where is it written that the flame blast from an incendiary weapon shouldn’t work as well.

If you truly took a moment and looked at the abilities of the explosives and the FT you’d see what I’m talking about. You actually have to trait in order to get these things to burn the enemy even tho physics demands they do that by default. and throwing grenades faster underwater then what happens on land is a great example of some of what is wrong as well. Ever try to throw something heavy underwater? guess what happens to it.

If we’re to be immersed then they need to do better and it starts with treating the physics of weapons correctly otherwise they should just delete this class since it can’t seem to be treated with the respect it deserves.

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

I am well aware of how the FT functions. I wrote one of the guides to it and havebeen fighting for the FT on these forums for months.

I am shocked that a weapon in this game needs to be traited for maximum efficiency. Just shocked. You’ve opened my eyes!

And here I was running around hording my 70 trait points in case some new content came out.

(edited by nakoda.4213)

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

I am well aware of how the FT functions. I wrote one of the guides to it and havebeen fighting for the FT on these forums for months.

I am shocked that a weapon in this game needs to be traited for maximum efficiency. Just shocked. You’ve opened my eyes!

And here I was running around hording my 70 trait points in case some new content came out.

once again misdirect what someone’s saying. You should work in political media you really should.

What I was saying was that in other classes it’s common sense for items to cause certain types of damage and one doesn’t have to trait into them, whereas on the engineer we have to trait into them for these types of damage types to actually function properly. thus taking up vital points that could have been used for other things if this weren’t the case. It’s ridiculous to have to use a trait for burning to occur on weapons that should burn in the first place (and for far much longer a period then 1 second no less).

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

i do.

and what exactly does the FT do with traits that it does without?

6 stacks of might and 15% damage.
edit: almost forgot the 200 toughness!

What damage “type,” exactly, do the traits add, that make the FT so different from other weapons in other professions?

for that matter, what damage type do any of the engie traits “add” that are not already build in to the weapons and kits we use?

Poison, maybe? on a trait no one uses? nooo, we have Poison Volley.

I’ve mentioned numerous times that i’d like to see more burning out of FT#1, I can link you the posts if you like, or, if you are ambitious, you can peruse my highly rated posts.

everything is in there.

edit: furthermore, the FT already does burning damage. Incendiary Powder is not just for the FT. You want FT#2 to add burning? Use Incendiary Ammo before firing it. Hell, Poison Volley can add burning if you use Incendiary Ammo.

(edited by nakoda.4213)