Engineers with Bows

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I’m incredibly confused on why Engineers were not released with the option to use bows from the start. Including both the main and off-hand Engineers have only 3 weapons available, the least of any class. Though it could be argued that kits basically being extra weapons counteract that, the need to give up a utility slot for them sort of ruins things.
The archetype of a person using a compound bow with special arrows with a wide range of effects is fairly old and prevalent as well, and fits the Engineer perfectly. The Thief series of games and the Green Arrow/Hawkeye come to mind as obvious examples.
Anyone else agree?

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Xiccarph.7352

Xiccarph.7352

Um, not in agreement on bows for engineers. Nope.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

I could see cross bows.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Crossbows would work. But there are also suggestions on hammer, which I like more for engineer then bow.

But, yea: we need more weaponchoice!

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Xocolatl.6890

Xocolatl.6890

Hammer would be nice. Bows..well..if they put a bit of a steampunk twist on bows, I’m all for it.

Engy just gets lots of weapons via kits, which is kinda nifty, I guess. At least they are very unique.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Trick arrows kinda fall under super powers doesnt it? I mean its mainly a super-hero thing.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

In a world where we have rifles and pistols, and bows – there is no real need for a cross bow.

That being said, bows are a ridiculous idea for engineers. Hammer would be a more logical choice for a new weapon set, as would simply creating engineer-themed kits like the ones I’ve suggested in other threads (golem arms, mega-drill).

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: filan.6495

filan.6495

Crossbows would be kinda cool… Steam powered repeating crossbow that is!

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Grimwolf.7163

I’m not talking about ordinary bow and arrows; I mean “trick arrows” as XelNigma called them. Like a mine arrow that sticks in the ground and blows when someone gets close, an oil arrow that causes an area knockdown + cripple pulses, or a remote-bomb arrow that strikes your target, and when you activate it a second time the target detonates for area damage (so you can lure them over to allies or something before triggering). Maybe even something like a rope arrow that could be used at long range to knock someone part of the distance toward you, so you can do stuff like pull someone into a trap or off a ledge, or even just interrupt them.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Bard.7215

Bard.7215

I think I get the idea, attacks with modified arrows fall into the engineer design, sure the bow itself isn’t very tech based, but think of all the explosive arrows and such?

Sort of like building a sandcastle

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: filan.6495

filan.6495

more devious of a mine arrow… one that detonates when the target gets close to other enemies. In PVP for example if a player got hit with it and ran back to his buddies? KABOOM

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Bard.7215

Bard.7215

Stun barb arrow

Sort of like building a sandcastle

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Kithzyan.5034

Kithzyan.5034

Well being that the Engi has an entire traitline and set of abilities that are elixirs (ie, Alchemical) using a bow with various types of alchemical arrow tips would be very in character … not to mention really cool.

Net arrows, explosive arrows, poison bomb arrows, random “hey, I wonder what this does!” arrows, Tybalt’s new automated piercing, particle lancing extendo-bolts (codename: A.P.P.L.E), the list goes on!

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

coglin.1496

The only thing is, we already have a option for P/P or P/S that offer condition damage.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Grimwolf.7163

The only thing is, we already have a option for P/P or P/S that offer condition damage.

Feh, screw condition damage; I want explosions!

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

Grimwolf

Like a mine arrow that sticks in the ground and blows when someone gets close

I’m all for unique-ness in skills, however – I feel this sort of a skill set belongs more in the ranger tree than engi. My point being that ranger (I don’t play one, they bore the hell out of me) is so… samey, that they could stand to use this kind of a skill tree. If anything, remove the spirits skills and give them trick shots like your idea.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

coglin.1496

Yeah good thing too Grimwolf. Other wise they may try to stick us with something stupid like bombs or grenades for explosions.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Seeing as we already have some very cartoony skills like the personal battering ram, slick shoes, a shrink/enlarge potion, and (defective) rocket boots, to name a few. I can see the engineer getting trick arrows.

With skills like glue shot and magnet, again to name a few, its clear the engineer is a “joke” class.
Were kinda the Go-Go Gadget of the guildwars2 world. that is, our devices are meant to be a joke rather than practical, or in the case of the rocket boots, designed to fail.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

I don’t agree with you saying that we loose out on Utility Slots when we use our Kits. And I don’t agree on the Longbow/Crossbow/Shortbow being an option. Hammers I could see working, but not bows.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Seeing as we already have some very cartoony skills like the personal battering ram, slick shoes, a shrink/enlarge potion, and (defective) rocket boots, to name a few. I can see the engineer getting trick arrows.

With skills like glue shot and magnet, again to name a few, its clear the engineer is a “joke” class.
Were kinda the Go-Go Gadget of the guildwars2 world. that is, our devices are meant to be a joke rather than practical, or in the case of the rocket boots, designed to fail.

Whoh whoh whoh now, rocket boots are actually really good in WvW and in a general for a condition build!! I agree that some of the skills are supposed to be goofy (which I love), but, I have yet to find an ability that isn’t actually good when used right.

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

I actually want more skills! Off-topic, yea but it needs to be said. 24 skills and 3 elites? C’mon! I want a wide variety of explosives guns and other crazy stuff to choose from. I really do not get why Anet didn’t put in more skills.

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

Why would you want a weapon that does the same thing that grenade kit can do? I can see the engineer getting trick crossbows for lore reasons, but id rather have more fixes then more fluff (especially since most of our fluff is kinda broken).

Edit: Clearly someone is not happy that CoX is shutting down. :P

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Grimwolf.7163

I don’t play CoX. Actually, I just happened to see the Avengers movie recently <_<

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

I have no problem with the idea itself, but “trick arrows” is almost exactly what the thief’s shortbow does already with its cluster bombs and poison gas. Plus we already have grenades that sorta-kinda fit that category.

I’m still holding out hope for a rocket-hammer.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Gardavil.1762

Gardavil.1762

In a world where we have rifles and pistols, and bows – there is no real need for a cross bow.

That being said, bows are a ridiculous idea for engineers. Hammer would be a more logical choice for a new weapon set, as would simply creating engineer-themed kits like the ones I’ve suggested in other threads (golem arms, mega-drill).

I support these ideas 100%. Hammer would be a fantastic new additional weapon(fits Eng like a glove), and these other ideas are spot on for an Engineer too.

As for Bows for Engineers… No is my vote.

stumble stumble crawl crawl

(edited by Gardavil.1762)

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

coglin.1496

Although I can appreciate your opinion, your thought process that you used to attempt to invalidate the cross bow post to try to validate your hammer idea is lacking all together. We have 100 hammer threads, and the same argument you used against cross bows applies to hammers as well. Just saying.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Bows don’t really fit the persona of an Engineer. Sorry.

Engineers were largely inspired by TF2 characters; the Pyro, the Engineer, the Medic, etc..

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

coglin.1496

The rest of us should not be forced to suffer your personal idea of what the persona of what an engineer is, based on TF2 character.

Declaring we should accept the lore and concept of a TF2 class in GW2 over accepting GW2 class and concept is just plain ego maniacal. I mean geez, that is way over the line of logic fella.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Ars Valde.8693

Ars Valde.8693

Engineers don’t use bows. Swords? Sure, Electrify it. Hammer? Hell yes, sign me up. Guns and powder? Why of course my good friend. But a bow? Bows are just the low-tech version of a gun to an Engi. Why shoot an arrow with a net when you have a GUN that does it.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Bynaar.8735

Bynaar.8735

I’d go for a crossbow, but a normal bow? No, not really. I’d love to see a crossbow and even a hammer.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Helequin.2608

Helequin.2608

I actually like the idea. Maybe not top priority, but a good one for sure.

And why use a bow with special arrows instead of a gun? Because delicate or explosive payloads don’t generally fare well in a musket/rifle/shotgun like we have in GW2. I’d much rather my arrow with the explosive tip or elixir vial on the end explode on impact rather than having it detonate in the barrel when I try to fire it from a gun.

Past that and perhaps better than the ‘realism’ arguement is the ability to volley fire with a bow which is absent from guns and very difficult with a crossbow. Being able to arc an arrow above the target and then detonate/spread gas/whatever opens up more potential skills. I totally want an arrow that rains elixir over a line as it arcs over enemy heads. Or lays a line of accelerant and then lights in on fire with second activation.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Rvue.1839

Rvue.1839

Would love to see a crossbow.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Ghostrage.5127

Ghostrage.5127

Last thing we need is yet another ranged weapon. Esp a low-tech one like a bow.

Engineers are already the gunpowder counterpart to rangers. (both being ranged classes with theme-chosen ranged weapons) Bows simply wouldn’t fit, IMO. I love that the two classes don’t use each other’s ranged weapons.

I would much rather see a melee alternative to the toolkit, like the Hammer.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

coglin.1496

I can absolutely agree we do not need another mid ranged weapon. Perhaps it would serve better purpose as long range.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Ramethzero.3785

Uhh… again, grenades do all the things you ask for.. and can be made very very long range.

/downvote.

Also, this:

The rest of us should not be forced to suffer your personal idea of what the persona of what an engineer is, based on TF2 character.

Declaring we should accept the lore and concept of a TF2 class in GW2 over accepting GW2 class and concept is just plain ego maniacal. I mean geez, that is way over the line of logic fella.

The power ‘Trick Arrow’ was done in City of Villains/Heroes as well, nearly exactly as you described, using that as a reference. But, you are willing to impress your idea of it gauged upon what you saw in a movie, over the homage of the TF2 model? Who subjecting whom to what?

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

(edited by Ramethzero.3785)

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

I could see cross bows.

Yeah crossbows!

either that or a wrench bow. Cross bow that shoots wrenches!

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: ImariKurumi.5761

ImariKurumi.5761

Cool idea but i find it pointless having more Weapon equips for Engineer when the class doesn’t allow weapon swapping. So what we can use 9999 weapons, when we can only effectively utilize one in battle while other classes can swap many.

Now, a Bow kit or a Hammer kit sounds more logical, but i prefer if they had a “Summon Robot” kit, it fits the engineer description better than a crossbow/hammer lawl…

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Aequitas.6402

Aequitas.6402

Personally, I really like the idea of giving the Engineer a reliable long-range weapon, given that his regular weapons are more of a mid-range thing. I especially like the idea of using Trick Arrows, as some here called it.

Of course, in an ideal world, my dream of a rocket launcher kit would come true – but that’s probably a little unrealistic, since the grenade kit fills the “ranged AoE damage”-niche pretty well.

(edited by Aequitas.6402)

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: joykafka.4308

joykafka.4308

Engineers have kits, from melee to long range.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: joykafka.4308

joykafka.4308

Frankly I like the way it is now. I don’t feel any other weapon wanted for my engi.

The only thing I feel wanting is skins.

Since we basically will use (only) one weapon set, and since most of the time I am (or many of us are) using kits, my toon won’t look cosmetically as sexy as other classes. Kits skins are all the same. Yet we don’t have plenty of weapons.

If I can afford a legendary skin, I’d hope that could be one of my kits. After all this is what defines my class and my playing style. It won’t be the pistol. It won’t be the hammer or the crossbow either.

I feel cosmetically inferior to other classes, but other than that, I like how engi is now.

The best scenario is that engi don’t use weapons.

Happy gaming,

(edited by joykafka.4308)

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Bull.3461

Bull.3461

Personally, I really like the idea of giving the Engineer a reliable long-range weapon, given that his regular weapons are more of a mid-range thing. I especially like the idea of using Trick Arrows, as some here called it.

It doesn’t make much sense to me that a longbow has greater range than a good rifle.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Ramethzero.3785

I seem to have no issues competing with longbow range when i have grenade kit activated.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Mysticforce.5096

Mysticforce.5096

I vote for Deathray. No, not a bow called Deathray. An actual ray that causes existential failure. I think that is fair and balanced.

Tarnished Coast
Orisletum [TFH] – 80 Necromancer
Oriscalamitas [TFH] – 80 Engineer

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Helequin.2608

Helequin.2608

It doesn’t make much sense to me that a longbow has greater range than a good rifle.

Not that GW2 is a reflection of reality or anything, but effective range on a longbow was actually greater than that of long guns for a decades after the longbow fell out of use (longbow is arguably a superior weapon to basic firearms used as late as the American Civil War – essentially until action rifles were used. It is likely true that true rifles were more accurate by the early 1800s, but these reloaded slowly. The best of Wellington’s troops could manage 3 shots a minute maximum). The problem with the longbow wasn’t effectiveness, but the years of required training to pull one in comparison to about 5 minutes to learn to shoot a gun. Fletching is also far more difficult to industrialize for mass production than producing shot and powder.

Anyway, as far as GW2 is concerned rifle should be fear-inspiring heavy-hitter. Longbow should be the sniper weapon. Engineer might make a good exception to this if the dev team wanted – split the current rifle into a shotgun and true experimental rifle type.

Anyway, rant off. Hopefully something theres is constructive.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

coglin.1496

Longbow should be the sniper weapon.

As I look up at my 7mm Rem. SAUM and 7mm Rem. Mag. with 150 grain bullets that I was letting my son practice with when he got home from school today, and I have trouble swallowing the quoted portion.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: szar.9054

szar.9054

http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Bolts

some of the cazier ones from that list

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Ramethzero.3785

http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Bolts

some of the cazier ones from that list

You really wanna make bows that complicated?

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: szar.9054

szar.9054

well im an engineer irl so i know we can make anything work

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Bows? Hell no.

this class has a strong mechanical theme going.

I could possible see crossbows as other people have said but that’s about it.

Kits are supposed to replace our second weapon set and it works well except for the whole scaling thing.

Engineers with Bows

in Engineer

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

Chainsaw. It is our destiny.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku