Feb 26 - Engineer Patch Notes discussion

in Engineer

Posted by: blurps.2340

blurps.2340

Not sure why they felt the need to buff toolkit even further. It already was one of the top two kits before, if not the best one alltogether.

Improvements to FT and EG are more than welcome, maybe they’ll be useful outside of “I play my way no matter what” gimmick builds now.

Not happy about Med kit stowing, like Engineers need even more key strokes.

(edited by blurps.2340)

in Engineer

Posted by: Teldo.1473

Teldo.1473

My take on the changes.

Kit Refinement change:

A huge nerf to this and it will make it basically useless when you run 2 kits. Why would you nerf an engineer, who runs 2 Kits? Those builds are definitely not too strong so far, but they were interesting and fun to play.

The change makes no sense, really. If some of the procs were too strong, they could’ve nerfed those specifically. But an internal cooldown is just weird and makes it useless.
I really loved this build.

Flamethrower changes:

The buffs are mainly based on power builds. Nice idea. I actually like them and they help PvE Flamethrower engis. Still doesn’t make Power Flamethrower viable in highlevel sPvP, cause you can’t just channel Flamethrower 1.

The extra 2s Burn on the knockback is amazing for Condi builds, but not too big of a change
Still won’t make Flamethrower a good choice.

Toolkit changes:

5 stacks of confusion for 5 seconds instead of 3 for 3? Amazing and a really good buff.

Toolkit is definitely a good kit now.

Elixir Gun changes:

Blast Finisher on the leap – amazing and I love it. Allows a lot of interesting plays.

Healing buffs – Also good, but gets compensated by the huge Kit Refinement change.
It’s basically even worse, because you had a double heal, which removed 2 condis, before and now you only got one.

Conclusion:

While I like most of the changes, I don’t think it’s enough to bring Flamethrower and Elixir Gun into the game.
The Kit Refinement nerf is just too much and the Trait will be useless with double/triple Kits.

Overall this change will make less builds viable then there already are. I theorycrafted a lot lately and I just couldn’t make anything work in high ranked paids, except for 100 nades and my current Condi Burst build.

100 nades were alright in paids, but still weaker than most builds, cause it was way too easy to shutdown. You didn’t deal any pressure back with anyone on you and the build was pretty bad in 1v1s.
The 100 nades build gets completely shut down with the Kit Refinement change though.

My Condi Burst build is very strong. Possibly even too strong, but that’s just the only thing that is viable and the sad part about it is, that it’s by far the easiest build that I’ve ever played on my engineer.

So right now the best build is also the easiest build to play (ridicilously easy.) and with the current Patch changes it won’t get better either. I can imagine myself using a Toolkit instead of Elixir B in the Condi burst build, but that’s about it.

I just don’t see any viable build happening with those little changes, especially because the Kit Refinement will take out way more builds that might’ve been interesting.
Even though devs said that they don’t want to take builds out of the game and add new ones.

I like engineers!
www.twitch.tv/teldoo
www.youtube.com/teldo

in Engineer

Posted by: Daigle.8497

Daigle.8497

It’s a buff to individual kits.

It’s the combinations that have been nerfed.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sparky Sights.9174

Sparky Sights.9174

I’m rather happy with this update, which is rare for me. Loads of buffs and only one nerf, isn’t it normally the other way around?

Plus it means my EG+Toolkit build will be more interesting to use. Never did like grenades anyway and I’ll never use them until they use normal targeting, not ground targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

I am now basicaly COMPELLED to jump every time I switch on my MedKit, because refinement skill on it is the most useless skill ever and will only buck up cd for insta Super Elixir. Acid finisher is good though.

I never touch the grenade and mine kit nowadays anyway. All I use is FT and EG, so this is basically an all around buff for me. I’m quite happy for once.

Share your build then! No more medkit for me :c

Change to Kit refinement doesn’t affect MedKit

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

in Engineer

Posted by: Dante.3754

Dante.3754

Everything we got was a buff except for kit refinement so I am very happy with this patch. inb4 muh 100nades I never really liked that build and the super elixir buff more than makes up for it (especially since I’m using all my kit refinements on that)

Also flamethrower buffs ^-^

in Engineer

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

The kit refinement thing is beyond moronic, 100nades will now work like this, switch to toolkit, pull with magnet, switch to nades – oh 10 sec cooldown, no grenade barrage…

Didn’t they state they didn’t want to break builds? One word ‘clueless’.

You are overreacting. 10 seconds isn’t a long time and I should know, I have a whole build built around a 10 second cooldown.

Apparently you don’t know, so I’ll give you an example, it is fairly common to set up the burst in 100nades by swtiching to toolkit, using the magnet skill to pull your target, then move into your target and use grenade barrage & switch to grenade kit to set off the grenade barrage from that, that takes a lot less than 10 secs, except now with the 10 sc global cooldown on kit refinement, your grenade barrage will not fire, half of your burst is gone.

Nor is jsut 100nade effected, it is a nerf to all multiple kit builds, unless of course you switch to a kit and stay in for 10 secs before switching to the next, in whcih case you are doing it wrong.

It has also made a class, that is already on the ‘clinuky’ side even more clunky.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in Engineer

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

If whatever this patch ends up actually being (since, ya know, it just came out…) gets players to start running multiple kits more, I’m all for it. I’ve been urging engineers to use 3-kits as much as possible; it’s really where this class shines.

I haven’t tried the new patch yet, but it suggests that my PvE build is going to see a bit of a bump in effectiveness (which it nice, but I already thought it was pretty good to start).

Traits: 5/30/0/25/10
Armor: Zerk
Runes: Sup. of the Engi, x6
Trinkets: Valkyrie, x6, with Emeralds, x6

Elixir Gun, Flamethrower, Toolkit, Supply Crate

This discourages multiple kits…

in Engineer

Posted by: King Stinkeye.3560

King Stinkeye.3560

Hey it’s another blast finisher that fires me out of my teams combo field area.

Man of Many Stinkeyes
[DAWN]

in Engineer

Posted by: Killer Rhino.6794

Killer Rhino.6794

If whatever this patch ends up actually being (since, ya know, it just came out…) gets players to start running multiple kits more, I’m all for it. I’ve been urging engineers to use 3-kits as much as possible; it’s really where this class shines.

I haven’t tried the new patch yet, but it suggests that my PvE build is going to see a bit of a bump in effectiveness (which it nice, but I already thought it was pretty good to start).

Traits: 5/30/0/25/10
Armor: Zerk
Runes: Sup. of the Engi, x6
Trinkets: Valkyrie, x6, with Emeralds, x6

Elixir Gun, Flamethrower, Toolkit, Supply Crate

This discourages multiple kits…

Based on what, exactly?

Creator of GW2Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: Glenn.3417

Glenn.3417

So let me get this straight; engi got yet another nerf, Deployable Turrets still broken, turrets still useless and yet thieves with perma stealth, 2 shotkill backstab/heartseaker spammers don’t get nerfed.

Really Anet, really? -_-

Champion Phantom – Legionnaire – Genius – Magus

in Engineer

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

The shared cooldown is only on Elixir Gun, Grenade Kit, Tool Kit, and Flamethrower. The Med Kit won’t block anything, so you don’t have to abandon it.

I hope they simply didn´t forget Med Kit in the patchnotes, otherwise all builds with speedy kits and on heal-effects on traits and runes would be a no-go with kit refinement now.

Nevertheless, if they wanted to nerf 100nades, this is a lazy fix at best and an unneeded annoyance for every build with kit refinement, including EG´s condition cleanse.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I’m indifferent about the Kit Refinement nerf.

With the FT/EG build, I never cared for the FT’s KR proc. Just going to have to be a little more mindful when I swap to my Med Kit is all.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Why is it that every other class gets tiny adjustments to abilities the devs think are OP, but every time the devs think an Engineer ability is too strong it gets the “to the ground” treatment.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Not sure why they felt the need to buff toolkit even further. It already was one of the top two kits before, if not the best one alltogether.

Improvements to FT and EG are more than welcome, maybe they’ll be useful outside of “I play my way no matter what” gimmick builds now.

Not happy about Med kit stowing, like Engineers need even more key strokes.

Do you remember the time Toolkit wasn’t on anybody’s radar? If you don’t, I do. The buff for the kit is not even that great, confusion is one of the weakest conditions in the game and only really affects Thieves and Rangers who like to spam 1 all the time. Also if you think FT and EG were only good for gimmick builds, you’ll be surprised how close to OP they’ve come with what they’ve done with this combo.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: Dante.3754

Dante.3754

omg guys this isn’t even a big nerf everything else in there is a buff, some of them are really good ones too

in Engineer

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

@Teldo

I don’t think it shut 100nade buiuld that much, as you can still switch to toolkit while jumping to not proc the cooldown.

but I completly agree, they just destroyed so many build.

And I’m happy to have the opinion of one(if not) the best engineer in this game!

And I didn’t think about it. Now in tPvP we will be stuck to use HGH conditions build.s

I think it’s a boring build personaly

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in Engineer

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Flame Blast detonation skill.

I’m happy. :)

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

in Engineer

Mif.3471

confusion is one of the weakest conditions in the game and only really affects Thieves and Rangers who like to spam 1 all the time.

It destroys grenade engineers too.

Harder to use = punished harder.

Doesn’t seem like great game design to me.

in Engineer

Dirame.8521

Why is it that every other class gets tiny adjustments to abilities the devs think are OP, but every time the devs think an Engineer ability is too strong it gets the “to the ground” treatment.

If I remember correctly, people are still using the grenade kit even after the first nerf to the damage. For a time people stopped using it but it still came back to become the crowd’s favourite again in condition builds and high damage builds.

This nerf does nothing to change that. A 10 second cooldown is NOTHING.

in Engineer

Posted by: mark.3160

mark.3160

Im happy with the changes, we are finally on the right track it seems, great change to toolkit! Gonna get a damp cloth now to dust off my elixir gun and try it out.

in Engineer

Posted by: Cero.5132

Cero.5132

Hum… if one would only focus on eg that would mean that we get an all the time (buffed) super elixier and 50% of the time 2x (buffed) super elixier…. if anyone would do that….
I think I´ll try xD
Didn´t like smelly grenades anyway… sniff ;(

in Engineer

Mif.3471

Except if you run more than 1 kit, which any decent Engineer does.

in Engineer

Kardiamond.6952

If I remember correctly, people are still using the grenade kit even after the first nerf to the damage. For a time people stopped using it but it still came back to become the crowd’s favourite again in condition builds and high damage builds.

In TPvP, 10 second is a lot.

Maybe in PvE it’s okay, but mostly anything is playable in PvE.

It’s not the worse nerf ever, but kitten if it’s not annoying.

Why would you nerf the engineer? Removing a lot of build possibilities?.

in Engineer

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

“Pry Bar: Increased the number of confusion applications from three to five and increased duration of confusion from 3 to 5 seconds.”

This is the single-most idiotic buff ever.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

in Engineer

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

i’m actully afraid the kit refinement specific skills will still have cooldown combined with the new internal cd..

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in Engineer

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Individual kit buffs are nice.

But some turret buffs would be nice. I realize kits are a more core Engineer mechanic and all, but turrets exist too. Buffs or fixes please?

in Engineer

Posted by: Alkron.1345

Alkron.1345

So let me get this straight; engi got yet another nerf, Deployable Turrets still broken, turrets still useless and yet thieves with perma stealth, 2 shotkill backstab/heartseaker spammers don’t get nerfed.

Really Anet, really? -_-

Actually Jon Peters in another thread said they were fixed or had work done on them, but it didn’t make it into the notes, among other changes.

in Engineer

Posted by: houndmd.4360

houndmd.4360

Because he’s the class that Tyria deserves, but not the one it needs right now…and so we’ll nerf him. Because he can take it…because he’s not a warrior. He’s a silent guardian (no, not THAT one), a watchful protector…an Engineer.

in Engineer

Dirame.8521

When I get in-game I’ll check this out but personally, I don’t see a problem. There are ways around the cooldown and in fact, there are different ways to use the build that would still make it effective.

in Engineer

Posted by: Silver.9084

Silver.9084

“Pry Bar: Increased the number of confusion applications from three to five and increased duration of confusion from 3 to 5 seconds.”

This is the single-most idiotic buff ever.

Although i’m an Engi, i kind of agree it might be a little too strong now, but hey i ain’t complaining :P

(They nerfed our kit refinement though, imagine having ur Evasive Arcana on 10sec internal CD)

Tux – [VoTF] Vengeance of The Fallen

in Engineer

Posted by: Rovus.5428

Rovus.5428

Oh man, the flamethrower…

Gonna have to go back to kits to test this one out. I see some massive damage potential with the detonating flame blast.

“Subtus pennas meas, pinnas meas interitum”

Alatum Interitum

in Engineer

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

And they still didn’t fix the Flamethrowers missing isuess!! Grrr.

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

in Engineer

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

Yeah… I see the change as more awkward than inpactful, since we can just jump to cancel the kit refinement from going off. I’m failing to see what the intent of this change is? It neither destroys existing builds nor creates new ones… it merely makes kit refinement more annoying to use.
——
I’m a big fan of the FT changes and the Blast finisher on Elix gun. Funny thing though, since I actively try to avoid setting off blast finishers in my light fields in favor of water and fire fields, the change actually makes me want to use Kit Refinement even LESS with Elix gun. Go figure.

(edited by Silentsins.3726)

in Engineer

Daigle.8497

Please explain how confusion is one of the weakest conditions in the game?

Do you remember the time Toolkit wasn’t on anybody’s radar? If you don’t, I do. The buff for the kit is not even that great, confusion is one of the weakest conditions in the game and only really affects Thieves and Rangers who like to spam 1 all the time. Also if you think FT and EG were only good for gimmick builds, you’ll be surprised how close to OP they’ve come with what they’ve done with this combo.

in Engineer

Daigle.8497

Sonofakitten. Super elixir Still does have a 20s cooldown on Kit Refinement.

in Engineer

Vuh.1328

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND kit refinement skills still have their normal CD + internal one
fantastic..

in Engineer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

I’m not sure if I want to be sad or happy. I have two exotic sets that are really going to get a boost out of this namely the flamethrower from my berseker set and my shaman set from the super elixir.

As far as my Rabid/Vatlaaw w/100% condition duration isn’t going to see a boost till they fix Giver’s weapons though.

P.S. : is Berserkers or Rampager’s better for flamethrower? Thought Rampager’s was for the condition damage.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

in Engineer

Posted by: Cero.5132

Cero.5132

o great -.-
Why, o why didn´t I expect something like that to happen?

in Engineer

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

…Which puts all the other refinements on a shared 20 second cooldown. Super.

in Engineer

Mif.3471

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND kit refinement skills still have their normal CD + internal one
fantastic..

Could they be anymore half arsed?
/facepalm

in Engineer

Posted by: blurps.2340

blurps.2340

So it really is an additional internal cooldown on top of the individual cooldowns of the effects on every kit.

Can’t say I’m surprised…

in Engineer

Kardiamond.6952

Oh Well,

I wasn’t happy when I thought it was only an internal cooldown. Now that I know they have both cooldown..

Oh well lol.

in Engineer

Vuh.1328

Scrap what i just said, it still works like it used to

in Engineer

Posted by: BoAKaN.6052

BoAKaN.6052

They didn’t even bother fixing the traits that DO NOTHING. Pfft.

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

I can’t wait to get home and leviticize some people. FT buffs! yarp!

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eremus.4506

Eremus.4506

Hey all, sry for all the kit refinement users ;(

BUT

The flamethrower is so bloodykitten#8230; ing better right now. I’m sold! Perhaps I_m too tired right now but the last minutes in the lost shore were incredible!

Thank you, thank you for changing FT2 the way so many guys here suggested it! Have to resist to make a threat out of it

GN8 guys

edit grammar

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

I’m not sure what’s going on, but I’m only getting a global cooldown between FT and Elixir Gun from what I’ve tried. Tool Kit and Grenade Kit don’t seem to mess with each other.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Well that’s just plain stupid and I take back what I said about not that big of a deal.

Maybe I’ll just take it out of my build and try something else instead. I don’t know if it will be worth slotting when you can only use it at best once per 20s, and that’s if you don’t mess up the Kit swapping you want. I’ll have to see how it works out now.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: athuria.2751

athuria.2751

I keep coming back to flame blast has a secondary detonation ability and all I can care about is that no longer will I have to forlornly watch it roll harmlessly through my enemies and blow up somewhere behind them.

Kit refinement cooldown seems to be shared between all kits—that’ll be annoying to try and manage the secondary effects of the trait on top of the primary effects of the kit since they net you different effects, and I wish they were just each on their own cooldowns—but it looks like they’re bringing kits themselves up so hopefully it won’t be such a pivot point for combat either way.

Edit: Nevermind, missread this. I honestly never noticed Grenade Kit or FT have internal cooldowns on their refinements already, they always set off the moment I switched before. The cooldowns are stacking if you try and use the same kit, but it seems to calculate separately from what’s already there (if you go into FT and wait 10 seconds GB will go off as it should, but if you try and use GB every 10 seconds it won’t work).

They probably should have removed those internal cooldowns if they were gonna add a global one…

(Also Life on Crit stuff was ridiculous on FT but it was never necessary to make it viable. It was nice for needing to bunker down on a certain point but I can’t deny when trying it that if we weren’t having underpower issues it would be too much.)

Syrlya | Sylvari Mesmer
Arabelle Jones | Human Engineer
Stormbluff Isle

(edited by athuria.2751)