Grenade Kit QOL improvement

in Engineer

Posted by: Nemitri.8172

Nemitri.8172

The Grenade Kit, loved by many, I wish I could love it too, but there is one little detail that makes me cringe each and every time I use it; the auto attack, it leaves my poor #1 reflexive finger all tired up after a while, is there any chance that this skill could be converted to a regular-targeting attack, I compare this weapon set a lot with the Necromancer’s staff, the auto-attack is simple to use, and the rest of the skills are ground-targeted, so maybe the same could be done to the Grenade Kit? I do use Grenade Kits, but only underwater, because of ease of use, especially the auto-attack.

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

one middle ground i see is for the autofire to work slightly different on ground target skills.

What i envision is this. a quick tap and you get the target circle just like today. Hold the button down however and the skill will fire each time it comes off cooldown.

For skills like grenade kit #1, that would be functionally equivalent of autofire on other weapons, but still allow for the flexibility of mouse targeting.

And with it being tied to the current autofire mechanic, it would not allow someone to simply drop a weight on their numbers row and go to sleep.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nik Rane.6431

Nik Rane.6431

Press 1
Move mouse to desired nade spam location
Press 1

repeat.

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

I like grenades how they are for things like pve but for pvp i could see anet making kit upgrade traits may be transform the grenade kit into a rocket kit with a slight lock on and higher ae radius with a bit less damage considering its just one rocket at a time may be add in like the tool belt ability into a rocket barrage

in Engineer

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Mate there is already a thread about this running:

“Grenades autohit”

Apart from that, I’d really like to see this change aswell.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

in Engineer

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

This would be a huge nerf for experienced grenade users:

1. You can no longer use the 1# skill to hit stealthed enemies. The other grenade skills only explodes when they hit the ground, but our 1# skill also explodes when they hit enemies. If we lose the ability to cast this where we want without a target will we lose our best counter towards stealthed enemies.

2. We’ll lose that little edge that makes grenades the longest range 1# skill in the game. Currently will the grenades go 1500 units when trated plus damaging out the radius of the explotions. I often use this to reach distant enemies, when they are just outside 1500 range.

3. Enemies will be able to just run away from our grenades when far away. You might think the grenades will be homing like some elementalist skills, but considering that you can run away from rangers shoot and that they are faster will I asume it will be even easier to avoid them.

4. We can no longer deny areas from other players in WvW. I often spam grenades in one spot even when no enemies are there in order to force them away from it. Sutch a spot might be a downed ally, or a keepdoor.

You might not agree with my points, but I know they are some sides of this chance that would make grenades less enjoyable to use for me.

The engineer don’t need to dumb down the interesting weapons we have, it needs the uninteresting weapons to be more powerfull or usefull for players who don’t want skillshoot based gameplay. I think the reason so many want grenades 1# skill to be targetable with autocast is because grenades are so much more effective than the other kits/weapons/builds.

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

This would be a huge nerf for experienced grenade users:

1. You can no longer use the 1# skill to hit stealthed enemies. The other grenade skills only explodes when they hit the ground, but our 1# skill also explodes when they hit enemies. If we lose the ability to cast this where we want without a target will we lose our best counter towards stealthed enemies.

2. We’ll lose that little edge that makes grenades the longest range 1# skill in the game. Currently will the grenades go 1500 units when trated plus damaging out the radius of the explotions. I often use this to reach distant enemies, when they are just outside 1500 range.

3. Enemies will be able to just run away from our grenades when far away. You might think the grenades will be homing like some elementalist skills, but considering that you can run away from rangers shoot and that they are faster will I asume it will be even easier to avoid them.

4. We can no longer deny areas from other players in WvW. I often spam grenades in one spot even when no enemies are there in order to force them away from it. Sutch a spot might be a downed ally, or a keepdoor.

You might not agree with my points, but I know they are some sides of this chance that would make grenades less enjoyable to use for me.

The engineer don’t need to dumb down the interesting weapons we have, it needs the uninteresting weapons to be more powerfull or usefull for players who don’t want skillshoot based gameplay. I think the reason so many want grenades 1# skill to be targetable with autocast is because grenades are so much more effective than the other kits/weapons/builds.

This
Thank You!
If grenades don’t suit you well, maybe you should try another kit.

in Engineer

Sirendor.1394

^They don’t have to make the auto-attack mandatory, just allow some players who don’t like smashing buttons all the time to use it. Your sum-up is rather selfish.

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

How is their sum up any less selfish than the other? In the end both players want grenades to suit THEIR playstyles. They are both inherently selfish in that regard.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

in Engineer

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Definitely true, i won’t ever touch an engineer again unless grenade kit attacks are made auto-attackable.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

in Engineer

Posted by: MFP.5324

MFP.5324

There is a setting that you could alter in options. It removes the circle for targetting completely and throws to the area your mouse is pointing at. It makes throwing grenades easier than having to press 1 twice or 1 then LMB. The downside is you won’t be able to see the out of range before you throw.

Almira Tinkerbell [TRBO]
Engineer
Island of Janthir

in Engineer

Are.1326

^They don’t have to make the auto-attack mandatory, just allow some players who don’t like smashing buttons all the time to use it. Your sum-up is rather selfish.

Then they would have to add an own option in the settings for one class’s one untility bundle’s one skill… it’s too specific to be in the setings menu.

But maybe instead they could make it so CTRL clicking the skill (used now to turn auto attack “on” or “off” on weapons with targets) change if it works as ground target, follow a target or autoattack towards a target. Aka 3 options instead of 2 (or 0 as with the grenade kit in its current state).
This would however requier big changes in the code and I don’t think this will ever get that far up on Arena nets “to do” list.

in Engineer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

A simple solution is to not do any complicated “at enemy target” thing at all. Just make GTAE attacks (all of them!), when set to autocast, re-target the same area they were last thrown at manually.

In other words, I throw Grenades #1 at an area, and as long as I stay within 1200 of that area my character will keep tossing grenades there until I target another location.

Easier to implement, and a much more intuitive way for it to work. At least IMO.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

A simple solution is to not do any complicated “at enemy target” thing at all. Just make GTAE attacks (all of them!), when set to autocast, re-target the same area they were last thrown at manually.

In other words, I throw Grenades #1 at an area, and as long as I stay within 1200 of that area my character will keep tossing grenades there until I target another location.

Easier to implement, and a much more intuitive way for it to work. At least IMO.

That or simply make it fire again if the skill is set to autoattack, and the key is held down when the skill comes off cooldown. Sure, you could then aim at a chokepoint and drop a weight on the key. But for anything intelligent it would be a simple matter of dodging trough (or drop a projectile reflect in the flight path of the grenades), while most mobs have enough health that they could simply run through the barrage and attack the engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

This
Thank You!

Such as? Please point me to this kit that can do nearly as much damage as a fully speced Grenade kit…

(bonus points if it’s 1500 ranged)

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

The crazy bit is when it outperforms bomb kit as a melee weapon by virtue of its on hit detonation.

in Engineer

Posted by: wolfshirt.8459

wolfshirt.8459

it definitely does not out perform the bomb kit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

I definitely would not want grenades to be mandatory direct target. It would devastate our ability to perform area denial roles in WvW, removing one of the things we’re actually good at.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

I stand corrected.

in Engineer

Sirendor.1394

This
Thank You!

Such as? Please point me to this kit that can do nearly as much damage as a fully speced Grenade kit…

Exactly. Grenade kit is our only viable long-ranged.

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Thanks!

in Engineer

Are.1326

Thats the point, instead of dumbing down the grenade kit so it fits everyone, Arenanet should buff the other kits so they can be used too.