Guide to beating an Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Although no one ever has asked or posted something along the lines of “Gee willy, that engineer was tough! How am I supposed to fight him!?” I will still make a guide on how to counter numerous utilities, kits and weapon sets an engineer can use and the most effective way to mitigate their usefulness.

Rifle: A decent overall weapon, the rifle is only hampered by having many of its attacks close ranged. Staying far can be effective against rifle users, as Net Shot and Jump Shot are really slow and give plenty of reaction time to dodge. If in close range, it can be a good idea to strafe, as blunderbuss gets canceled if the enemy moves a little to the side of the engineer.

Pistols: Can throw all the damaging conditions consistently at you. Use condition removals, condition transfers and if you do not have it, it could be best to rush in and finish the fight as quickly as possible before the conditions start to hurt you.

Flamethrower Kit: Although mostly only useful in medium-close range, it is a good idea to get as close to the engineer as possible, while strafing and preferably with a swiftness buff. If close enough while strafing, flame jet, the flamethrower kits main source of damage, will almost always miss.
Although I have not tested it myself, I have heard from other engineers that hitting someone with retaliation while using the flamethrower hurts the engineer himself just as much.

Bomb Kit: Anyone playing with bomb kit will most likely try to kite you. Simply switch to a long range weapon and watch them fail horribly. If they actually try and attack you with it simply moving away stops you from getting hit at all.

Grenade Kit: Attack from long range against grenadiers. The spread and slow travel time means that most grenades will miss unless playing against a good grenadier. If fighting a good grenadier he is most likely predicting where you will move next and as such move in an unpredictable pattern to throw him off.

Elixir Gun: Will most likely only take out elixir gun for a small heal. If he tries to attack with auto attack, laugh at his damage and put him out of his misery.

Tool Kit: Probably one of the better Engineer kits and is useful in many situations for him. If the kit is taken out at range, prepare for a magnet pull but do not dodge as soon as it activates, wait about a second. A successful magnet pull will most likely be followed up by the almighty pry bar to your face, so be sure to use a condition removal straight away unless you want to end up killing yourself.

Rocket Boots: Laugh out loud while advancing toward the self-knocked downed engie for free hits. Extra free hits if you got swiftness on. Although if hit by its toolbelt counterpart rocketkick, be prepared to quickly remove the burn or suffer massive damage.

Oil Slick: That black stuff coming out the engineer pants you are chasing isn’t because he is crapping his pants in fear. He is actually trying to knock you down. Works only half the time but for safety precautions simply chase him while being a little to the left or right of the engie.

Rifle Turret: Laugh at its pathetic damage and act like it does not even exist.

Net Turret: Can limit movement and be pretty dangerous is left unchecked. Should be a priority to destroy. You should also be aware that its tool belt counterpart has a 360 degree radius and can be shot by the engineer even if you are directly behind him as long as he has you targeted.

Rocket Turret: Can be overcharged to knock you down. Destroy it quick, it goes down very easily and its long cd means you wont see it for the rest of the fight.

Flame Turret Not a priority if long ranged. Though any melee can destroy it quick due to its pretty low defense.

Supply drop: AOE and knock back the fudge out of everything and keep engi away from his or her precious packs. (Beware the engi who drops on a downed teammate to interrupt stomp: that player may know how to fight… and kill you.)

Elixir X: USE BIDE TIME SKILL or confuse and run away!! (seriously don’t keep going back into the tornado.)

Mortar: LOOK OUT FOR STABILITY Funny story, I fought an engineer who pulled out mortar close range in the middle of dodges and fights, and he proceeded to use it, firing skills that all had to be preformed at a 800 radius away. So i sat behind him shooting him with EG #1. and he died. and there was much rejoicing. Guess he just really wanted stability in those last moments. The end.

Also feel free to post any more tips you have when fighting against engineers!

(edited by Penguin.5197)

in Engineer

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

I agree.. mostly… with all that, except Rocket Boots. If you’re going to laugh at the launch, be prepared to waste a swiftness buff to get to him to finish him quickly, and also be prepared to take anywhere from 3k-6k total damage to the face every 20 seconds or less (traited) from Rocket Kick if you’re in melee range.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: Tarvok.4206

Tarvok.4206

This thread is just neat as an overview of what engineers can do. As a new engineer, I appreciate it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

don’t forget fighting a naked engy:

he probably got tired of paying all his repair fees and you should just end his misery.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

he probably got tired of paying all his repair fees and you should just end his misery.

Please don’t turn this thread into another whine thread, there are plenty of you doing that already on basically the entire Engineer forum.

in Engineer

Posted by: FiftyTwoBears.5482

FiftyTwoBears.5482

Please don’t turn this thread into another whine thread, there are plenty of you doing that already on basically the entire Engineer forum.

it’s the only time we can enjoy ourselves honestly, im having more fun in other threads coming up with funny kitten nerfs for Engineers and reading stuff like this then actually playing

it’s way to much work to even keep up in PvP and higher level fractals anymore, and it’s just boring to have people glaze over me in pity

i’m having fun on the forums whining cause it’s actually fun to make fun of ourselves haha

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

it’s the only time we can enjoy ourselves honestly, im having more fun in other threads coming up with funny kitten nerfs for Engineers and reading stuff like this then actually playing

it’s way to much work to even keep up in PvP and higher level fractals anymore, and it’s just boring to have people glaze over me in pity

i’m having fun on the forums whining cause it’s actually fun to make fun of ourselves haha

Some of us aren’t having nearly the amount of heartache and suffering the rest of you are, and we would like to have at least a few threads where we can talk strategy, tactics, etc.

You can have your fun complaining since that’s what makes you happy, but please leave at least a few threads for the rest of us.

in Engineer

Penguin.5197

This thread is just neat as an overview of what engineers can do. As a new engineer, I appreciate it.

Ha guess it can also work that way too, your welcome!!

Edit: also took aydes comment into consideration for r.kick.

(edited by Penguin.5197)

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Some of us aren’t having nearly the amount of heartache and suffering the rest of you are, and we would like to have at least a few threads where we can talk strategy, tactics, etc.

You can have your fun complaining since that’s what makes you happy, but please leave at least a few threads for the rest of us.

I have no problem (in theory) with creating threads to poke fun at the problems of the engineer profession, but I agree that it’s over-reaching to actively devolve all the threads into that.

On the other hand, this topic lends itself perfectly to making fun of ourselves. I mean, the game has been out for four months and no one even posted any counter-engi strategies until this estimable engi did (yes, there were a few threads about countering juggernaut/stability before it got nerfed, but nothing about the current engi profession). The OP is right on with his assessments but it’s still kind of funny, when you think about it.

in Engineer

Penguin.5197

I have no problem (in theory) with creating threads to poke fun at the problems of the engineer profession, but I agree that it’s over-reaching to actively devolve all the threads into that.

On the other hand, this topic lends itself perfectly to making fun of ourselves. I mean, the game has been out for four months and no one even posted any counter-engi strategies until this estimable engi did (yes, there were a few threads about countering juggernaut/stability before it got nerfed, but nothing about the current engi profession). The OP is right on with his assessments but it’s still kind of funny, when you think about it.

I knew that when making this thread people would use it to make fun of ourselves and had that in mind when I did it (a guide to beating an underpowered class lawl). But I ended up posting what I think is some good information that can actually help play against an engie better. Or just learn more about them in general.

(edited by Penguin.5197)

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

With my mesmer i never saw an engineer what was a danger for me. i think the other classes do not need a how can i kill an engi Guide cause you can kill an engi without tatics with the most of the classes in the game.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: Kabooky.8071

Kabooky.8071

Show up.

I’ve a 80 eng, Mesmer and a 50+ thief. I’ve never once lost to an eng 1v1.
How to beat him as a Mesmer?
I’ve never been one to try 4x shatters and blow them up, it’s much more fun to distortion their burst then use confusion and watch them kill themselves.

in Engineer

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

Show up.

I’ve a 80 eng, Mesmer and a 50+ thief. I’ve never once lost to an eng 1v1.
How to beat him as a Mesmer?
I’ve never been one to try 4x shatters and blow them up, it’s much more fun to distortion their burst then use confusion and watch them kill themselves.

People don’t die to confusion anymore.

(im a girl btw)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kabooky.8071

Kabooky.8071

It’s one thing for you to say, yet in wvw I still kill many an eng or thief with confusion.
Actually on thievesit’s usually confusion to 25-30% then curtain them out of srefuge and bfrenzy or shatter to finish.

(edited by Kabooky.8071)

in Engineer

Posted by: Rewian.9174

Rewian.9174

If you see an engineer, simply kite him while autoattacking him, and he will die in the next 6 seconds while doing no damage to you cause LOL NERFS.

in Engineer

Posted by: pfanne.9783

pfanne.9783

I actually like to think that 1 on 1 my engineer is pretty dangerous. I’m playing with rifle, flamethrower and Toolkit and the control I have over my enemy is pretty dangerous. I can always bring the fight into the range that is most suitable for me.
The class I can never handle though is the Mesmer since all their kitten illusions block many of my projectile based CC like the rifle2 and rifle4, while their illusions crash into my face and they keeps stacking confusion.

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

If you see an engineer, simply kite him while autoattacking him, and he will die in the next 6 seconds while doing no damage to you cause LOL NERFS.

maybe you don’t do damage and get kited around, I know I don’t

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Posted by: Lunar Corporation.5720

Lunar Corporation.5720

What about elites

1. supply drop?

AOE and knock back the fudge out of everything and keep engi away from his or her precious packs. (Beware the engi who drops on a downed teammate to interrupt stomp: that player may know how to fight… and kill you.)

2. Elixir X?

USE BIDE TIME SKILL or confuse and run away!! (seriously don’t keep going back into the tornado.)

3. Mortar?

LOOK OUT FOR STABILITY Funny story, I fought an engineer who pulled out mortar close range in the middle of dodges and fights, and he proceeded to use it, firing skills that all had to be preformed at a 800 radius away. So i sat behind him shooting him with EG #1. and he died. and there was much rejoicing. Guess he just really wanted stability in those last moments. The end.

Just call me Lunar

(edited by Lunar Corporation.5720)

in Engineer

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

You’re actually describing how to defeat a noob engineer, not a decent pvp’er :p.

For instance: the bomb kit, a good engi won’t try to kite you, he will stun, immobilize or knock you down before he puts his bombs. Or he will make you choose between 2 aoe attacks so if you dodge one you will get hit by the other or similar. (BoB is a great distraction, to lure them into a different area) The main counter is to stay at ranged, yes, but it’s far from ‘simply’ moving away.

Actually the main overal thing to defeat any engineer is to stay at long range. A good engineer is a melee killer. At range the grenades are easy to dodge, the static discharge also has travel time, most kits have low range. Fortunately, the engineer has a lot of gap closers, stuns and immobilizers to get in that sweet medium range.

You’re giving terrible advice in general actually, like the slick shoes. Engineers run towards you with that skill, not away.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

(edited by Clip.6845)

in Engineer

Penguin.5197

What about elites

1. supply drop?

AOE and knock back the fudge out of everything and keep engi away from his or her precious packs. (Beware the engi who drops on a downed teammate to interrupt stomp: that player may know how to fight… and kill you.)

2. Elixir X?

USE BIDE TIME SKILL or confuse and run away!! (seriously don’t keep going back into the tornado.)

3. Mortar?

LOOK OUT FOR STABILITY Funny story, I fought an engineer who pulled out mortar close range in the middle of dodges and fights, and he proceeded to use it, firing skills that all had to be preformed at a 800 radius away. So i sat behind him shooting him with EG #1. and he died. and there was much rejoicing. Guess he just really wanted stability in those last moments. The end.

Funny story on the mortar one! and these tips seem good enough :P

You’re giving terrible advice in general actually, like the slick shoes. Engineers run towards you with that skill, not away.

I don’t know about other engineers but running toward people with slick shoes on doesn’t seem to work most of the time. I would see someone resing or stomping, try to interrupt them with slick shoes and…nothing happens. Of course I could be wrong.

I actually like to think that 1 on 1 my engineer is pretty dangerous.

So do I pal, so do I.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I knew that when making this thread people would use it to make fun of ourselves and had that in mind when I did it (a guide to beating an underpowered class lawl). But I ended up posting what I think is some good information that can actually help play against an engie better. Or just learn more about them in general.

Certainly! It’s a great thread.

On mesmers: I’ve found that mesmers excel at just the right range to be a perfect “counter” (as if we needed one) to engies. Don’t feel bad if you’re losing 1v1 to mesmers. I’m not saying they’re OP or crying nerf, just saying that 1v1, engi vs mesmer is not a favorable matchup.

in Engineer

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

Nooooo, don’t give them insight to beating us! There’s so few of us in PvP one of our biggest strengths is that enemies don’t play us enough to learn to counter everything!

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

in Engineer

Posted by: Pannonica.5378

Pannonica.5378

I don’t know about other engineers but running toward people with slick shoes on doesn’t seem to work most of the time. I would see someone resing or stomping, try to interrupt them with slick shoes and…nothing happens. Of course I could be wrong.

Good rezzers use stability when rezzing, so… yeah.
But looking good with slick shoes dancing all around the rezzer to the soundtrack of MJ’s “Beat it”
If the Engi fails, he at least fails with style, ehrm versatility I mean.
“The shoes… they do nothing!!”

Quoting this for glory and truth in respect to the Engi:

They told him don’t you ever come around here
Don’t wanna see your face, you better disappear
The fire’s in their eyes and their words are really clear
So beat it, just beat it

You better run, you better do what you can
Don’t wanna see no blood, don’t be a macho man
You wanna be tough, better do what you can
So beat it, but you wanna be bad

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin’ how funky strong is your fight
It doesn’t matter who’s wrong or right
Just beat it, beat it
Just beat it, beat it
Just beat it, beat it
Just beat it, beat it

They’re out to get you, better leave while you can
Don’t wanna be a boy, you wanna be a man
You wanna stay alive, better do what you can
So beat it, just beat it

You have to show them that you’re really not scared
You’re playin’ with your life, this ain’t no truth or dare
They’ll kick you, then they beat you,
Then they’ll tell you it’s fair

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it

Beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it

It doesn’t matter who’s wrong or who’s right
So beat it, just beat it

Pannonica
Red Guard

in Engineer

Posted by: Goldmember.4368

Goldmember.4368

In WvW sPvp, no profession will run from us because we don’t have that one signature death move that we can launch on our opponents. Even static discharge glass cannon is laughable if going against most players in pvp.

It is very humorous to see that it took an engineer to post a “how to kill and engineer” guide. Really, its because no one cares, we are either the last one focussed on because of our poor damage and threat, or we get targeted outright cause we break so easily.

I’ve played engineer pvp since BW1 and do just ok. I still have hopes for this profession one day. But for now my I pvp on other professions now.

in Engineer

Penguin.5197

Quoting this for glory and truth in respect to the Engi:

So beat it, just beat it

Just beat it, beat it
Just beat it, beat it
Just beat it, beat it
Just beat it, beat it

They’re out to get you, better leave while you can
Don’t wanna be a boy, you wanna be a man
You wanna stay alive, better do what you can
So beat it, just beat it

You have to show them that you’re really not scared
You’re playin’ with your life, this ain’t no truth or dare
They’ll kick you, then they beat you,
Then they’ll tell you it’s fair

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it

Beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it

It doesn’t matter who’s wrong or who’s right
So beat it, just beat it

I vote for this to be the engineers official anthem

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

What’s sad is all of the things that were done to this class were to balance pvp and they ended up breaking pvp for engineers and making things worse for the pve players. That’s the only reason why I’m reading this thread was to see what penguin had to say about what was wrong with the kits and attacks we do have to use. The only time anyone should fear us Penguin is if they were to meet us in underwater combat because that’s actually fixed now. LOL @ underwater pvp

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: WithoutAssumption.7936

WithoutAssumption.7936

How to beat an Engineer:

Show up.

(Disclaimer: I’m joking)