Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Nothing. Just nothing.
Hey, look at all this new fancy, shiny clothing I can wear. Now I can fight with style…oh wait no I can’t.
Come on ArenaNet, this patch was meant to highlight and improve customisation within the game. Can we at least get rid of these tumours on our backs so we can fit in with the rest of the fabulous fashion crew?

in Engineer

Posted by: fnordette.4139

fnordette.4139

Never give up the dream.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

yes please can we at least have an in game toggle?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I figure Anets hands will be full with trying to mitigate all the damage their Megaservers do right about now. Keep the topic alive, but dont expect much anytime soon. You know, in case the months of negligence and ignoring of the issue didnt make you already.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kyron.7524

Kyron.7524

We could try to set up a petition?
And show ANet (by numbers) what do we think about hobosacks?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Hopefully that’ll work better than the rally.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

Engi in 3 years:
Rainbow glowing armor everywhere
3m long greatswords (mirror blade) in every hand (+glowing)
3 pairs of wings on a single char
Critter/Volcano/Tree spawning footsteps
Outwordly flaming helmets with 10 eyes and half-meter spikes
Riding a dragon. With same shiny glowing armor.

And a hobosack.

in Engineer

Posted by: Plague.5046

Plague.5046

Seeing as we just had the first QoL and cosmetic patch and probably last for at least a year, it doesn’t look too promising anytime soon…

I was secretly hoping, oh they are overhauling the whole cosmetic UI! maybe they will add an option for engies. I know they had a lot to deliver on and every big new build comes with bugs, and doing something cosmetic just for one class can be a waste of time in management’s eyes, it would just be nice just to get an inkling of an idea of if they even had it on the backburner, on a postit note somewhere, to look into.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

a toggle on/off can not be hard to implement.
Show it or not show it… I’m sure any game can handle this much of a visual parameter.

They don’t want to… can’t draw any other conclusion.

How to figure out you’re fighting an engineer dropping bombs: run behind him and focus on his backpack! It’s a foolproof recipe to fight him.

God forbid that engineer throwing stuff from far away, with red cirkles under your feet, would be unrecognisable without a hobo sack for being grenade specced.

And yes: you need that backpack to see it’s a flamethrower! Once you see beyond the sea of fire in your face at all, of course.

Engineer with a melee weapon? Dam, if only i could see his backpack to see if he’s using toolkit or not! I have to know! What if he is using another melee weapon?

Frankly: only Elixir Gun might be less recognisable by it’s shot, give or take a green smoke jet… but in all honesty: why would you care if he’s shooting you with an Elixir gun?

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

a toggle on/off can not be hard to implement.
Show it or not show it… I’m sure any game can handle this much of a visual parameter.

They don’t want to… can’t draw any other conclusion.

How to figure out you’re fighting an engineer dropping bombs: run behind him and focus on his backpack! It’s a foolproof recipe to fight him.

God forbid that engineer throwing stuff from far away, with red cirkles under your feet, would be unrecognisable without a hobo sack for being grenade specced.

And yes: you need that backpack to see it’s a flamethrower! Once you see beyond the sea of fire in your face at all, of course.

Engineer with a melee weapon? Dam, if only i could see his backpack to see if he’s using toolkit or not! I have to know! What if he is using another melee weapon?

Frankly: only Elixir Gun might be less recognisable by it’s shot, give or take a green smoke jet… but in all honesty: why would you care if he’s shooting you with an Elixir gun?

Ey dont diss the e-gun lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

So I’m coming back from a little bit of a hiatus here with high hopes…

Is there a chance that, along with the tons of other aesthetic stuff that came in this patch, we finally saw just a tiny bit of love and the hobosacks are now hideable? =D

in Engineer

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

Nope. Still hobos.

We may have another 6-12 months to go.

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole

in Engineer

Posted by: Ender.3847

Ender.3847

ANET, please give us a toggle for the hobosacks. many of us have spent so much time, gold, and effort making our engis look amazing but then we get our hobosacks that cover our backs 70% of the time (even several of the new hair styles get clipped). Especially with the new wardrobe system now that all classes can enjoy their hard earned back skins engineers cannot enjoy them as much due to hobo sacks.
How long will we have to wait?

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Forever probably. The least played class. Not considered meta anywhere. Just give up and reroll warrior. That’s what anet wants. All the things about being necessary in pvp are obvious lies. what about toolkit and bomb kit being identical? At least redesign them. Or give some choices.

in Engineer

Posted by: MARKONINI.4153

MARKONINI.4153

I made Static Tempered Spinal Blades to look cool but all I can see is the HOBOSACK T.T

PLEASE make a toggle on/off.

:(

Tinypaws / Tiny The Charrdian / Marko The Guardian

Guardian has no alternative :)

in Engineer

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Hobosack looks good on my Charr.

in Engineer

Ronin.5038

Hobosack looks bad on my Sylvari, Norn, Human and Asura.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I made Static Tempered Spinal Blades to look cool but all I can see is the HOBOSACK T.T

PLEASE make a toggle on/off.

:(

until you use one skill then the back item shows up.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

I think the Norn scaling it the worst. I think it just has a “one size fits all” scaling for race. On a min height Norn female, the hobosack is much larger than the torso.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in Engineer

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

you all should just give up an make a big breasted blonde female human warrior.

in Engineer

Posted by: pupa.6534

pupa.6534

My main is female asura engi, and I <3 her hobosack, it looks awesome.

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

As someone who just spent a ton of time and money making my Asura engi look as high tech as possible, the hobosack is just jarring.

I beseech the devs to either let us hide it, or add an option to change the cosmetics of the kit via racial weapon vendors or the gem store.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: doubleomar.2165

doubleomar.2165

Is it reasonable or within the team’s capabilities to provide an update on this matter? This is a game which is heavily reliant on a very visceral art style meant to evoke the better sense of aesthetics within the MMO genre, so it stands to reason that to those of us who appreciate the aesthetics of this game will heavily base our enjoyment of the product in these matters that admittedly might seem small in the grand scheme of things.

in Engineer

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Is it reasonable or within the team’s capabilities to provide an update on this matter?

Sure it is. However, I have doubts that they care enough to do so at this point.

in Engineer

Posted by: customhell.2594

customhell.2594

Rolling engineer to try out new trait system, fun class. Toggle the hobo sacks. People keep asking me to dance for coppers.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mayonnaise.9624

Mayonnaise.9624

Is it reasonable or within the team’s capabilities to provide an update on this matter? This is a game which is heavily reliant on a very visceral art style meant to evoke the better sense of aesthetics within the MMO genre, so it stands to reason that to those of us who appreciate the aesthetics of this game will heavily base our enjoyment of the product in these matters that admittedly might seem small in the grand scheme of things.

Couldn’t agree more.

“It’s Raining Lootbags! Hallelujah!
It’s Raining FSP Golems! Amen!”
– The Weather Girls

in Engineer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Kit Icons … why hasn’t this been done yet? My Norngineer still despises her Hobosack, y’know?

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

Just looked at my engi today got that tier 1 backpack made from blades (which was the one I wanted.) Then I tried using a shield build not only are the backpacks a problem but now shields get in the way of backpacks as well and I didn’t see anything there to turn shields off in the equipment screens.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mayonnaise.9624

Mayonnaise.9624

Just looked at my engi today got that tier 1 backpack made from blades (which was the one I wanted.) Then I tried using a shield build not only are the backpacks a problem but now shields get in the way of backpacks as well and I didn’t see anything there to turn shields off in the equipment screens.

Were are talking about backpacks you get from using Kit Utility Skills (bomb, grenade etc.)

“It’s Raining Lootbags! Hallelujah!
It’s Raining FSP Golems! Amen!”
– The Weather Girls

(edited by Mayonnaise.9624)

in Engineer

Posted by: Alyssa.7254

Alyssa.7254

This will always be an issue.

in Engineer

Posted by: Danama.1462

Danama.1462

Would it be an acceptable option if we got a little skin window where we could select skins from the wardrobe to replace each of the kit skins. the button for the engineer skin window can be some place on the wardrobe tab. if the skin select is left blank than the skin could be the default.

Example toolkit gets both a mace skin and a back piece skin, Flamethrower/elixir gun gets a rifle skin and back skin, bomb kit/grenades get just a back skin.

in Engineer

Ronin.5038

Would it be an acceptable option if we got a little skin window where we could select skins from the wardrobe to replace each of the kit skins. the button for the engineer skin window can be some place on the wardrobe tab. if the skin select is left blank than the skin could be the default.

Example toolkit gets both a mace skin and a back piece skin, Flamethrower/elixir gun gets a rifle skin and back skin, bomb kit/grenades get just a back skin.

Good luck getting this to happen.
ANet isn’t even sure if it’s worth spending time implementing a combo field prioritisation option (which they should), so getting something like this done is very slim.

Not saying I wouldn’t want this. Anything to make these abominations on our backs disappear.

in Engineer

Posted by: Swagginator.3246

Swagginator.3246

add all three solutions.

1. option to upgrade the kits skins
2. always show the weapon on the back when equipping a kit and enabled “do not show hobo-sack”
3. give the option to turn on and off

extra: the predator should modify them.

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Hobosacks won’t be fixed. Legendaries won’t be fixed on engi to actually work with kits. They should just delete engi.

in Engineer

Posted by: Syndic.6198

Syndic.6198

Some pretty interesting ideas here. I was actually spit-balling some ideas on how to address this today. This has always been something that has bothered me, too.

For example:

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
    • A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
    • Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?

Hopefully this finally gets resolved soon, and I’ll do what I can to see that happen. Keep in mind, as Colin mentioned before, that there are some pretty beefy projects going on that are consuming our engineering time. But that doesn’t exactly mean we can’t sneak stuff in here and there .

-Bill

So, nine months later there’s new beefy projects (a china start or something, I heard)… but maybe in between someone looked at it? maybe? no? pretty please?

in Engineer

Posted by: VampyreJack.9183

VampyreJack.9183

i was just about to say the same thing Syndic did. August 2nd LAST YEAR is when Bill said he was going to work on this….really?! sigh….

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

i was just about to say the same thing Syndic did. August 2nd LAST YEAR is when Bill said he was going to work on this….really?! sigh….

Pretty much just proves what some of us thought since launch that there’s really no one on the team who likes the class or is on the side of Engis and thus we don’t have a voice in development or balance. Sad really. Emphasizes the need for a player council.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

bump, still horrible

Ele / Guardian

in Engineer

Posted by: Noyz.6430

Noyz.6430

Do hobosacks show up if an outfit is equipped? (winter fancy outfit.. mad king outfit..)

in Engineer

Posted by: SlaYer.2138

SlaYer.2138

Do hobosacks show up if an outfit is equipped? (winter fancy outfit.. mad king outfit..)

sadly yes

Attachments:

(edited by SlaYer.2138)

in Engineer

Posted by: Jman.2701

Jman.2701

Well, it’s been nine months since the thread started, and nothing has happened despite a HUGE wardrobe and overall character appearance UI update… If nothing has happened yet, I doubt anything will. But, it still gets my +1.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wraith.9426

Wraith.9426

Please Anet, +1 to getting rid of hobosacks. This is a game that focuses on cosmetic appearance, and here we have a class that is forced to wear a giant ugly backpack. There should really be an option in the hero panel for engineers to turn off the hobosack.

Blackgate ~~[Ons]laught~~

in Engineer

Posted by: Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

I want to keep my kit backpacks. I still like them. I like the scruffy look. To hell with all the lala bling bling shiny kiddy junk!

So toggle them off, yes, remove them, no!

in Engineer

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

I don’t think anyone wants them just removed entirely. The majority would be happy if they were simply able to toggle them off (I would too, btw.).

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

in Engineer

Posted by: Noyz.6430

Noyz.6430

+1 for adding a toggle button!

in Engineer

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

Just started leveling an engineer to better understand the new trait acquisition system (which is awful btw), the hobosack is such an eyesore. I’ve found myself just pistoling stuff down so I don’t see it as much.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

in Engineer

Posted by: igmolicious.5986

igmolicious.5986

My engineer is an asura, so the hobosack has never been a huge deal to me, but I did notice how awful it looked during the ghost transform in AC. I feel really bad for races/genders that have to deal with the hobosack on a daily basis. +1 from me for having an option to turn it off.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

I like how the hideous flamethrower backpack shows THROUGH my spinal blades that i went through the trouble of making. Really Anet, why you do this to us?

Attachments:

(edited by Nikkinella.8254)

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Its not intentional. They just dont give an juvenile feline.

in Engineer

Ronin.5038

16 pages in and still nothing but Hobosack.

Will there ever be anything but Hobosack?