Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Phlogus.2371

Phlogus.2371

Should we send a back pack full of these and tell them to get more productive?

Attachments:

Phlogustus Male Char DD Ele
Molen Labe Female Human Necro
Devonas Rest – Black Rose Legion -CF4L

in Engineer

Posted by: Rinhara.6450

Rinhara.6450

PLEASE.
A-Net started out with a fair amount of customization, and went through the trouble to make so many different armor and weapon skins.
Our kits are our weapons. Can we please please pretty please make them look nice?

They don’t look THAT different from each other (hobo sacks with a few different decorations) so it can’t be that the appearance was that important. If it was, then we’d have vastly different designs for the kits—an actual toolbox or metal box (with tools sticking up) on the back for a toolkit, some kind of tank with a liquid in it for flamethrower, a keg on our back for bombs, a box with grenades for grenades, I guess another tank of liquid for elixir (but with different color liquid, different tank shape, etc. so you could clearly tell it from the flamethrower…).

^I just came up with that on the fly, and it’s so much more intuitive (and obvious to other players). Even if the appearance didn’t change (no skins) it would look much better than our hobosacks. * sniffles *

Please, A-Net. Even changing the appearance so they’re not hobosacks and actually resemble what they’re doing would be a start.
But I still want to skin my weapon kits, at least. Or be able to toggle “hide them completely” and have an icon similar to elementalists’ attunement icon let people know what I’m using.

I realize skinning would require a lot of work. But appearance change (something else instead of hobosacks), toggle and an icon? The architecture is already in place. I bet 75% of the work would be copy/pasting code from other parts of the game, and the graphics.

(edited by Rinhara.6450)

in Engineer

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Some pretty interesting ideas here. I was actually spit-balling some ideas on how to address this today. This has always been something that has bothered me, too.

For example:

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
    • A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
    • Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?

Hopefully this finally gets resolved soon, and I’ll do what I can to see that happen. Keep in mind, as Colin mentioned before, that there are some pretty beefy projects going on that are consuming our engineering time. But that doesn’t exactly mean we can’t sneak stuff in here and there .

-Bill

I’ve spent almost 3k hours in PvP. Never once, have I looked at what the engi was wearing. I can see a rifle, or I see them dropping bombs or nades, or I see a flame thrower, or I hear the elixir gun. I didn’t even realize the backpacks were different. GIVE these engi’s some bling.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Here’s an idea.
Remove Hobosacks, then bundle all the Hobosack skins into one package and release it on the gemstore.
Sale numbers would probably be low, but any engineers that actually like the Hobosack will still be able to obtain one while those that don’t like the Hobosack won’t be burdened by them anymore.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

“I’ll make this quick.” Said the op. And with those words, one of the longest running threads in this forum begins.

in Engineer

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

“I’ll make this quick.” Said the op. And with those words, one of the longest running threads in this forum begins.

And one I feel everyone from every class can get behind in support of.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

And one I feel everyone from every class can get behind in support of.

We tried a rally, once.
It didn’t take. Of course, it wasn’t spectacularly organized, I’ll be the first to admit, and it was before megaservers, so if there was any kind of turnout, it was scattered amongst servers…which is part of why the lack of organization caused an issue.

in Engineer

Posted by: LandStander.7094

LandStander.7094

Dear Anet,

I really love my engineer. I really hate the hobosack look. Please let us hide our hobosacks.

Please?

in Engineer

Posted by: doubleomar.2165

doubleomar.2165

Maybe we should attempt to rally support from the other profession forums, see if they’ll show some solidarity with our cause with a cross post in each one of their respective boards.

I honestly am quite disgusted at the lack of at least acknowledgement of the post from the dev team, even if to let us know it’s not gonna happen.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I’ve posted an open question on the balance boards, asking if the sacks are really useful for knowing what an Engineer has.

Thus far…it’s pretty much “What? No.” with at least one “No. Doesn’t really help, anyway, because they switch so much – not enough time for reading the sack to matter.”

in Engineer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Well, doubleomar. You’ve got at least some cross-profession support, I would guess.
I main Mesmer and Thief, but play my Engi regularly enough that I Do. Not. Want.
her swank-as-hell Nornwear ruined by hobosacks anymore.

Hell, if we can’t completely remove the blasted things, than at least grant multiple appearance options for them. Seriously.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

alone to fix it that they dont clip with your backpiece while equipped would already handle most issues… just “auto hide” em when you got a (visible) backpiece eqipped and done… i mean it works the other way arround too afterall (till you use a kit skill). If you have a backpiece just equip a kit and look what happens.. the backpiece is gone and the kit backpack is there…well till you use a skill of it then you got a clipping galore. So seriosly.. that cant be THAT hard to fix and “reverse” it. Got a backpiece on, no kit visible. Got none on, kit visible.. and done. Im slowly getting desperate, impatient and actually really really mad here. Why cant something like this be fixed? Im sure (if i would be a coder of the dev team) i would\could sacrifice a few minutes of my lunch break\spare time to just fix that with a few lines of program code that are clearly already there… all engies can see that. And dont come with the “the backpack tells the enemie what kit you use” bs. Even i as (almost) full time engi cant tell what flys in my face if i fight another engi till it flys in my face (cept its a flamer or e-gun or “normal” weapons)
Seriosly a-net.. really no offence and i love you guys, i love the hard work you put into the game and all the nice things you do.. but this slowly gets embarrassing dont cha think?

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

DOWN WITH THE HOBOSACKS!!!
just kidding, they don’t even read this…
bumpedy bump anyways.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Baz The Fallen.3627

Baz The Fallen.3627

+1

Blackgate(NA/EU)

in Engineer

Posted by: EGTX.5493

EGTX.5493

+1

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Wouldnt you know it, they did mention the Hobosacks in the last Ready up.

As a joke.

So they are aware. Now, if i dont see the slightest effort to deal with this seemingly ridiculously minor issue, i think im gonna flip a table.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

As a joke.

So they are aware. Now, if i dont see the slightest effort to deal with this seemingly ridiculously minor issue, i think im gonna flip a table.

line up…

in Engineer

Posted by: Solus.3926

Solus.3926

I like mine, can I have it in pink. Please.

I am the menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

in Engineer

Posted by: DeRiss.5601

DeRiss.5601

As a joke.

Wow. Now I really enjoy this game, but if they’re gonna look at a sizeable chunk of the population asking for a simple fix with a big positive impact and no downside and make a joke at their expense, then I’ve got better things to do with my time.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xehanort.7034

Xehanort.7034

As a joke.

…wow. I wish i could say i was surprised by this, but after this thread existing for a full bloody year, i guess i shouldn’t be too surprised. And to think i was going to grab a few gem shop armors for my engie in a bit..

in Engineer

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

Another issue that is long overdue of a fix.
But at this point I don’t expect anything from Arenanet. They seem to struggle with basic bug fixes and content.

They are just a continuing source of disappointment and inaction, and I gave up hope on them a long time ago. They simply don’t bloody care, not enough to do anything.
If it’s not a part of whatever they were going to do anyway, they have no interest in going out of their way to do it.

Their all talk in and no action.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

Some pretty interesting ideas here. I was actually spit-balling some ideas on how to address this today. This has always been something that has bothered me, too.

For example:

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
    • A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
    • Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?

Hopefully this finally gets resolved soon, and I’ll do what I can to see that happen. Keep in mind, as Colin mentioned before, that there are some pretty beefy projects going on that are consuming our engineering time. But that doesn’t exactly mean we can’t sneak stuff in here and there .

-Bill

10 months later…

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Let’s get our hayforks and torches, it is time for revolution!

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Let’s get our hayforks and torches, it is time for revolution!

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: yanchoy.9176

yanchoy.9176

message body can’t be blank 15 chars

Attachments:

/Snow white and the 7 dwarfs and their wives

in Engineer

Posted by: akuzum.5263

akuzum.5263

And do you know what is funny?
A year has passed over this subject and only one anet worker (programmer) had written a small answer TEN MONTHS AGO.
That’s how they give a kitten about our ideas.
825 (826 with this) comments, more than 64k views and what do we have is just walnuts.
And they have opened servers for China. I’m not against it but what’s next?
It’s over ANET. If you don’t give value to your customers’ ideas GW2 will lose, so will us.
Flaming over
That’s why we have forums right?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

I’m just reporting Bill’s Red Post as Griefing/Trolling the player base. Sure it might fall on the moderator’s deaf ears (eyes) but at least they will have to look at my flag.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

in Engineer

Posted by: Styopa.2538

Styopa.2538

My engineer finally maxed cooking! (won’t let me post the image?)

ANet, if you’re never going to change the hobosack, please at least let us get clothes that match.

in Engineer

Posted by: Artasqweroldy.7458

Artasqweroldy.7458

Never capitulate ! For great justice !

Nonononono we dont want Hobosacks !

Humans aren´t real

in Engineer

Posted by: Negrebskoh.3681

Negrebskoh.3681

Specifically logged in on the forums for the first time to post here.

ANet, you seriously need to do something about this.

For many of us, our characters are our virtual dolls. It might be stupid that we care so much about them looking nice, but we do; a LOT of us do. There’s absolutely no good reason why those idiotic backpacks should not be able to be replaced by something less stupid-looking. Back items should override backpacks, period, and if at all possible it should be possible to use different skins for backpacks as well.

And to those who compare those backpacks to conjured weapons… No. Just no. There’s a big difference between a “Conjure Lightning Hammer” skill that gives you (who would’ve guessed it) a lightning hammer, and a “Grenade Kit” skill that gives you a bunch of grenades AND a ridiculous backpack everyone hates. Also, it’s pretty much universally agreed upon that those conjures look decent, whereas backpacks make us look like hobos. Even if you think backpacks ought to stay, they should’ve been reskinned LONG ago to look less ridiculous.

Edit: Huh. Apparently I did post on the forums before. Who would’ve thought.

(edited by Negrebskoh.3681)

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

a “Grenade Kit” skill that gives you a bunch of grenades AND a ridiculous backpack everyone hates.

Lemme correct ya.. it gives you no visible handheld grenades and AND a ridiculous backpack…twice the salt in the wound

See a-net? Even people who usually dont post in forums that much come to this topic to show their CLEAR distaste towards these darn sacks. If i would be in your spot id go like:
“Hey guys… seems we gotta do something about that, it sorta kittenes of a lot of people. You over there, do some coding and fix that obviosly existing code that hides your backpiece when you equip a kit till you use a skill of the kit and reverse it so that the kit gets hidden when a backpiece is visible and worn. Alright? Good. Now lets make our engineers a bit more happy and pretty cause we love the class”
(like was stated often by you…)

in Engineer

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

It’s been so long since I’ve logged into my Engi, I don’t even recall where I parked it. Come on Anet, give me a reason to care about my Engi again.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

doubleomar.2165

The post was too low on the forum’s front page, so I’m here to do my duty for great justice.

GIVE US THE OPTION TO TURN THEM OFF PLEASE, OR AT LEAST ACKNOWLEDGE US AND TELL US IT’S NOT GONNA HAPPEN…JUST TELL US SOMETHING!

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

last post was a day ago?
lets change that.
bump

in Engineer

Posted by: Darkfalcon.8176

Darkfalcon.8176

The Hobosack I can deal with but covering up all the effects of my legendary is insane. All that hard work and just to not even see it.
+1

in Engineer

Posted by: Drakent.9605

Drakent.9605

Thanks to the hobosack my char engineer ended up with Dowagers humps, now i cant walk straight anymore.

Please remove this barbaric pack of our back !!!!!!

(edited by Drakent.9605)

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Still no red response … been well over 6 months since the last and we still look ridiculous when running kits, and complete negate all of our back piece rewards.

Outstanding.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mayonnaise.9624

Mayonnaise.9624

Still no red response … been well over 6 months since the last and we still look ridiculous when running kits, and complete negate all of our back piece rewards.

Outstanding.

I agree with you. Just shameful for a company to allow that.

“It’s Raining Lootbags! Hallelujah!
It’s Raining FSP Golems! Amen!”
– The Weather Girls

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Outstanding.

I agree with you. Just shameful for a company to allow that.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: mikeew.8607

mikeew.8607

For example:
Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?
-Bill

was posted 11 months ago has there been any resolve?

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

For example:
Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?
-Bill

was posted 11 months ago has there been any resolve?

That this threat is still front page should tell you otherwise. Nope man, nothing of that sort was made

in Engineer

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

i made a thread on General Discussion
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Engineer-Hobo-Sacks/first#post4161103

maybe we can get heard there

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

in Engineer

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

My engie gal is hot, sleek, and hot pink.

Her outfit is sleek and pink. She has a rifle with pink particle effect. Her backpack is a pink swirl.

Then she gets into a fight. Rifle, disappears. Backpack, disappears, and in its place is the hobo sack that’s not pink and not sleek. AND it clashes!!!

What’s a fashion conscious engie gal got to do to stay fashionable?

As for Legendaries. Fahgetaboutit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mayonnaise.9624

Mayonnaise.9624

Another patch brings another disappointment. Shame

“It’s Raining Lootbags! Hallelujah!
It’s Raining FSP Golems! Amen!”
– The Weather Girls

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Fighting Aerin, i was thinking that not only were the sack issues ignored, joked with, laughed at, but seeing that sylvari with his lush green armor and the freaking hobo-sacks on and throwing grenades (the very imagery the OP used to present the problem more than a year ago) felt like an entire villain designed just to mock this thread.

I loved the rest of the update very much, infact the Aerin fight was nice too, and i might be blowing this out of proportions. But thats just how it felt seeing him.

in Engineer

Posted by: DargorV.8571

DargorV.8571

Dear Anet, get off your kitten .

kthx

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Hey devs.
Since you won’t read this, I guess I can behave like the filthy hobbo you let us look like.

E(…)*(…)3

in Engineer

doubleomar.2165

I was playing on my engineer today and an actual dev joined in a group event with us. I know it was a dev because I said “fix engineer hobo sacks please” and he ignored me.

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a topic stay on the front page anywhere as long as this one has

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a topic stay on the front page anywhere as long as this one has

It’s mostly because you have a primarily horizontal progression game, where you are constantly playing for aesthetic rewards, that has a class who is made to look completely ridiculous if they are played properly.

FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS

It’s the equivalent of them making the banner for the Engineer forum a giant middle finger. :-P