Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: PartyPanda.1960

PartyPanda.1960

When the new feature pack came out with new craftable back pieces, I was like “Yay! I can’t wait to craft them all!” But then sadness came over me as I remembered that my main, my Engi, wouldn’t be able to show them off. And she’s the one with the majority of high leveled crafting professions!

Good thing we got these new back pieces that cost resources to make but can’t see

in Engineer

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Then it’s a case by case basis, because before the patch my spinal back piece ‘wings’ would clip through my kit packs terribly (didn’t mind too much as the effect was kind of cool).
Now, when I wear my FT kit all traces of the spinal are gone until I stow the kit.

Tested on my 2nd Engineer with a variety of other pack pieces (slick pack, jet pack, gem shop, etc) – All traces of clipping are gone.
I admit I do not have the SAB back piece, so maybe they forgot about that one.

Both before and after the patch, I’ve had times when my backpiece doesn’t render at all, and therefore doesn’t clip with hobosacks when they’re out, until it eventually loads and you can see it (at which point it clips). This is not a new change; it’s a bug? that existed before the patch.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in Engineer

Posted by: Nico.6015

Nico.6015

Please Anet give us some updates about that… It’s really annoying to have your look ruined everytime you use a kit since guildwars as always been about look for me. This as been going on for a year now its mindblowing!

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

The problem is, the recent patch just made it WORSE((

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

The problem is, the recent patch just made it WORSE((

wouldnt say that. The clipping got reduced.. well its still there but thats already a good start. We are halfway there.. now just reverse the script.. and we got it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nico.6015

Nico.6015

Just delete the hobo sack! I think I would pay 2000 gems for a “hobo sack disabler” or whatever you want to call it. Just remove that kitten from the game!

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Just delete the hobo sack! I think I would pay 2000 gems for a “hobo sack disabler” or whatever you want to call it. Just remove that kitten from the game!

I would pay 10k gems, really – but i’m swiss so it doesnt count :O xD

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Engineer

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

:(

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in Engineer

Posted by: mas.7401

mas.7401

Hobosack’s reducing fun since launch!

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

I noticed this thread was almost hitting the second page.

Not on my watch.

in Engineer

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

I noticed this thread was almost hitting the second page.

Not on my watch.

Nice work there

Seems hopeless but wow I hate the clownpacks/hobosacks.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

ANet do you still work on this? Do you still read this? Do you love us in the slightest???

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

The frost spirit “change” was fixed in what? 1 week? I get that it was easier to do but still. It’s been 2 years. No legendary effects(at least auras!), still hobosacks.. We even have standard models for pvp. There is no excuse..

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Frost spirit change was up for eternity.

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

I meant the way it was corrected to match the broken tooltip. Arguably broken though.
Don’t get me wrong, I am very glad they removed the icd like it was before. It made rangers viable in pve again.

in Engineer

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

http://www.danamadeit.com/2008/07/tutorial-the-hobo-sack.html

go on, people, craft your own and send the pictures to support!

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

in Engineer

Posted by: Charr Legionnaire.3875

Charr Legionnaire.3875

Please,

As an Engee I have no desire to pursue legendaries, OR back pieces because our cosmetic-mechanics.

Please A-net

It would make Quaggans all around Tyria coo in happiness!

Maybe this thread doesn’t get any mod attention because there has already been a post, so they think it’s has been handled?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I think they look. I don’t think they care. Even if they did, they couldn’t tell us anything.

in Engineer

Posted by: Poliswag.8240

Poliswag.8240

Errr.. I have 2500+ hours on my engi and the decorative jetpack skin aaaaand I like the hobosacks :X

I never realized people hated them this much, never heard any engineer complain about them outside of this post. Oh well, good luck, I’m at least happy either way, haha.

[IX][oPP] Poliswag – Engineer

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Well they fit if you have no back item that looks completly different and if you use brown and dirty iron dyes for your Engi. Yet if you use some aetherblade or magic or futuristic outfit with let’s say bright colors, super adventure box stuff or spinal wings, etc. Then you are gonna lay down, hug yourself and cry – cry like a little baby who lost it’s candy.

in Engineer

Posted by: gartz.7013

gartz.7013

honestsly, something like the the tal rasha set in diablo 2 would make me happy. Showing, that as an engi, i made a legendary.

solo cheese engi/ex teef

in Engineer

Posted by: velhavn.7694

velhavn.7694

bump…… fix this please anet.

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I’ve taken to simply not using kits anymore.
I’m personally using a Gadgets build right now. Besides, I’d have a hard time living without Throw Mine and Rocket Boots.
Way too much fun.

Kitten Kits.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

I recolored my engi to fit to the hobosacks now.
I am one with the torment.
I am one with my inner peace.
Oooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

The way hobosacks clip into your head makes it quite easy to “become one” with it…

in Engineer

Posted by: ninja sloth.2658

ninja sloth.2658

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

Was kind of excited when I started my engi but the first thing I did was spend 10 minutes trying to disable the awful hobo bag… Not cool guys…

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Was kind of excited when I started my engi but the first thing I did was spend 10 minutes trying to disable the awful hobo bag… Not cool guys…

well.. we try to disable that thing since 1 and a half year. Welcome to the club.. cookies are to your right, ignorance of the devs to your left.. suit yourself

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

If you need a tissue – I’m sorry they are all out of order …

in Engineer

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

spot the difference …

hint: all the gold i ever had

#nohobo2014

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Cerxi.5472

Cerxi.5472

I’d love a three-way toggle; back item only, hobosack only, or both (LET EM CLIP). I know I’m in the tiniest minority, but the way my elixir gun hobosack clips with my spinal blades makes it look like I’m wearing some kind of mechanical beetle on my back, and I can’t think of anything better.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

People calm down, are you calm now?
Good, now start preparing party hats for next anniversary of this thread!

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

People calm down, are you calm now?
Good, now start preparing party hats for next anniversary of this thread!

Holy crap… in just a few more months we’ll be at the 2 year mark! 0_o

Man… time flies when Devs pretend you don’t exist. >_>

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Almost 2 years after launch and I still can’t throw my money at a-net for useless skins.
Thx, based project-lead.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Krosan.2890

Krosan.2890

Looked back here after a long time. Seems like Anet still doesn’t care about us engineers.

in Engineer

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

Looked back here after a long time. Seems like Anet still doesn’t care about us engineers.

that’s not it. they generally don’t care about anything.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchieD.6972

ArchieD.6972

I’d love a three-way toggle; back item only, hobosack only, or both (LET EM CLIP). I know I’m in the tiniest minority, but the way my elixir gun hobosack clips with my spinal blades makes it look like I’m wearing some kind of mechanical beetle on my back, and I can’t think of anything better.

+1

I hate how each time I equip my flamethrower, I have to go check/uncheck to show my backpiece. I want to see my spinal blades and sack at the same time, it looks BA! It used to show the backpiece again after using an ability, now it doesn’t do it at all unless you manually do it.

So yes:

A toggle to show back piece.
A toggle to show hobo sack.
A toggle to hide backpiece while hobo sack is out.

That’s all we ask for.

Attachments:

10 Level 80s | http://tinyurl.com/oj4e9hr
1900+ Hrs Played | http://tinyurl.com/ppq4ksz
No Precursor | http://tinyurl.com/njgsg3l

in Engineer

Posted by: FoxClubNiner.3510

FoxClubNiner.3510

I was thinking of creating a Charr but I don’t know after reading this. Should I just choose the monocle instead? What does choosing the backpack even do?

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

All choosing any of them does is give you a particular skin, and a particular starting item that gives a very minor defensive boost.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

Whoever kind of heads up this movement, I have a thought out suggestion.

Let’s keep this going, but I also propose someone start a thread in profession balance.

Topic: “Hobosacks don’t influence balance.”

If we make good discussion there, there’s a chance it will be seen.

Basically, the point of the thread will show that they can remove hobosaks without fear of imbalance.

Maybe that’s the hurdle we should get over. So. Who will do it? Whoever does it, please post the link here and we need to make strong arguments.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

I recall making a thread basically polling the userbase on their opinion on whether Hobosacks were useful from a foe’s viewpoint. The response was pretty much “Nope. They switch too often, too fast, and there’s too much going on – besides, some of them look almost identical.”

Other than that, I don’t…think anybody really heads this ‘movement.’

in Engineer

Posted by: Predator.9214

Predator.9214

Whoever kind of heads up this movement, I have a thought out suggestion.

Let’s keep this going, but I also propose someone start a thread in profession balance.

Topic: “Hobosacks don’t influence balance.”

If we make good discussion there, there’s a chance it will be seen.

Basically, the point of the thread will show that they can remove hobosaks without fear of imbalance.

Maybe that’s the hurdle we should get over. So. Who will do it? Whoever does it, please post the link here and we need to make strong arguments.

I opened a thread similair to this recently in this sub forum, as I myself think as well their biggest gripe with removing the hobosacks is “balance issues”.
Feel free to charm in if you have thoughts and suggestions how developers can keep the balance and remove them once and for good.

Mistwarden Lara (Herald)
Assassin Stef (Daredevil)
Snow Crows (SC) | Seafarer’s Rest

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

The devs had an idea – elementalist-style icons, and maybe the fanny pack thing (which would’ve inevitably been a stupid, half-finished, aesthetics-disrupting thing anyway, just as the original Hobosacks are).
They just never followed through with it and won’t so much as tell us if they’re working on it due to their Ivory Tower-esque communications policy – well, barring these two posts:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Problems-with-Engineers-and-Legendaries/page/3#post1824137
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Hobo-Sacks-A-Terrible-Fashion-Statement/page/5#post2539351

Summation of the first: “Our resources are on wider-reaching projects like [things that mostly have been implemented already], but I totally feel ya, my main is an Engineer! Love to hear your ideas!”
For loving to hear our ideas, ArenaNet certainly didn’t love talking about them – not a single red post ever found its way to the thread after that.

Summation of the second: “Yeah, this bugs me, too. I’ll see what we can sneak in between projects like the ones Johanson mentioned.”
Turns out they could sneak absolutely nothing in, or so I’d assume given that it’s been ‘about a year.’ I’m not even sure Freist still works for Anet, or if he’s on the same team.

One way or another, I just don’t think Anet cares. I used to. Even used to think the game was going to go cool places – instead, we get bad writing, mostly temporary content, a proliferation of the very things this issue keeps us from enjoying, and stupid, stupid things like “Oh, that fun little thing that never had anything to do with the narrative doesn’t fit into the narrative, but taking a three-month break in the wake of an attack on the leader of a faction at a summit to discuss responding to the attacker totally does.”

At this point, I’m really doubting that it’s anything about balance that’s keeping them from getting rid of hobosacks. I’m not being particularly coherent, but that’s the point.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

This thread isn’t falling to the second page. Not happening.
Maybe we should start coming up with propaganda? Slap a hobosack on holiday mascots? Crying baby quaggans with the sacks on?

in Engineer

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

Maybe we should start coming up with propaganda? Slap a hobosack on holiday mascots? Crying baby quaggans with the sacks on?

Need heartbreaking testimonials too.

“Becky was my best friend. She used to be a happy, popular girl until one night she tried on a hobosack at a party. She died instantly. Please, don’t use hobosacks. It’s the most dangerous type of sack out there. Please don’t wind up like Becky.”

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Need heartbreaking testimonials too.

“Becky was my best friend. She used to be a happy, popular girl until one night she tried on a hobosack at a party. She died instantly. Please, don’t use hobosacks. It’s the most dangerous type of sack out there. Please don’t wind up like Becky.”

hobosacks…not even once

in Engineer

Posted by: Mayonnaise.9624

Mayonnaise.9624

Well done ANet. Such a customer service. Terrific.

“It’s Raining Lootbags! Hallelujah!
It’s Raining FSP Golems! Amen!”
– The Weather Girls

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Wir trampeln durchs Getreide,
Wir trampeln duch die Saat.
Hurra, wir verblöden.
Für uns bezahlt der Staat.

also bump.