Med Kit

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Let’s be honest friends, Med Kit is bad. The only things it has going for it are that it gives swiftness and it’s not AED. The main reason it’s bad is that the throwing mechanic is too clunky. Here are some ideas on how to make it better!

Suggestion A:

Throw Bandages becomes Heal Blaster. It self heals for 505 and gives you Regeneration. Your next Med Blaster will do an additional 505 healing and apply Regeneration to 5 allies in range.

Throw Stimulant becomes Stim Blaster. It cures a a debilitating condition on yourself (weakness, blind, vulnerability) and gives you fury. Your next Med Blaster will do an additional 505 healing, cure a debilitating condition, and grant fury to 5 allies in range.

Throw Accelerant becomes Speed Blaster. It cures a movement impairing condition on yourself (chill, cripple, immobilize) and gives you swiftness. Your next Med Blaster will do an additional 505 healing, cure a movement impairing condition, and grant swiftness to 5 allies in range.

Throw Antidote becomes First Aid Blaster. It cures a condition on yourself and gives you resistance. Your next Med Blaster will do an additional 505 healing, cure a condition, and grant resistance to 5 allies in range.

Blaster skills will override each other meaning if you use First Aid Blaster and then use Speed Blaster without using Med Blaster, your next Med Blaster will heal for 505, remove a movement impairing condition, and grant swiftness to allies. It will not cure a condition, give resistance or do any extra healing.

Med Blaster boosts expire in 5 seconds so you can’t hoard one with a long cooldown.

Suggestion B:

Increase Med Blaster healing.
2-5 skills are all self cast + small aoe around yourself.

Plz Grouch.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

(edited by ellesee.8297)

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Yes, Med Kit is crap but it should stay support focussed. Otherwise it would just provide too much self-sustain. I think other heals should be the go to for sustain.

• Increase healing power scaling of #1.
  • Give #2-5 a point blank area effect and make it look like Antitoxin Spray.
  • Remove the heal. Instead make #2-5 grant 5-10% outgoing healing for 5-10 seconds.
  • Health Insurance now doubles the gained bonus from #1-5 (e.g. bonus heal per boon, outgoing healing).
  • Merge Health Insurance and Stimulant Suplier.

Tadaaa!

That aside, there is so much tidying up to do in Alchemy and Inventions, ugh. Like, for example, merging Dispersion Field and Soothing Detonation and adding something instead of Bandages to Bunker Down.

(edited by Xaylin.1860)

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Very much want something like this, yes. I suggested something similar a while back, except where the effects of 2-5 were applied to #1 in a manner similar to Thief Venoms. The way you suggest it here is far more straightforward. X)

The class is always greener on the other side.

Med Kit

in Engineer

ellesee.8297

Plz. I would like to be a healer in the PvEs. Med Kit is just terrible right now.

#1 Frandliest person NA!

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: Tiilimon.6094

Tiilimon.6094

Have you tried using it and swap to it when your other heals/blast finishers are about to go off?

Imo that 15% >> 33% outgoing healing for health insurance was quite a buff, and as I’ve used MK all the time now, I can actually hit running people most of the time with the throwables.. and throwing that crap is so addicting

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: santenal.1054

santenal.1054

The throwing mechanics of skills #2-5 need to either work like toss elixirs or just made a self cast. It’s beyond me why they haven’t done this already, its such a small tweak with a huge impact of the usability of the med kit.

Med Kit

in Engineer

Tiilimon.6094

I think they could change 2 and 5 to AOEs, and leave fury and swiftness as throwables because it would be a bit silly to get 20% crit for the whole crew

Med Kit

in Engineer

santenal.1054

I think they could change 2 and 5 to AOEs, and leave fury and swiftness as throwables because it would be a bit silly to get 20% crit for the whole crew

Then #3 and #4 would still have the crappy throwing mechanic. They could also make these skills drop infront of your feet (no targeting) just like the old med kit used to work.

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

I like the flavour of the med kit. Throwing stuff, walking over it to activate. However it is not supportive at all. So what about not changing #2-5 in a core sense, but make them and AoE pulsing thing when activated.

Also yes: increase the healing on med blaster.

On a side note:

• Drasticly increase soothing detonation’s HP coefficient
  • Change Medical Dispersion Field in a way it still heals allies when you are at full health.

I have my nomad’s gear ready since they did the trait overhaul…

Ohwell… I don’t believe in a change after all this time….

Attachments:

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

Med Kit

in Engineer

Tiilimon.6094

But like, I don’t want a fury boon myself, I’m a healer, I wanna throw it to “that guy” standing over there you know, so he can melt faces.

Same with swiftness, I wanna throw it to the guy who needs to be faster, like when you’re skipping mobs and one guy gets stunned/rooted/X.

I don’t actually want to go there myself and drop it on his face.
Throwing mechanic we have atm is a lot better for helping others instead of yourself, which imo ties in well with the medkit trait outgoing healing bonus.

btw, what kind of AOE skill targeting are you using? imo the one that you hold and release to cast works best with MK.

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: Goosekilla.2796

Goosekilla.2796

The real problem with this kit is that it takes too much time to do anything. This game is about speed and reflex. Attacks that take over a second to cast are really slow. If I have to switch into a kit, spend cat time throwing something, spend time waiting for it to fly through the air and land, and then walk over it before I get the benefit, then it is already way too late for the effect I wanted to be useful. And to make matters worse during that whole time I’ve been doing 0.0 dps and continue taking full damage. Honestly a 1.5k heal on each thrown pack wouldn’t even be OP, because your net damage loss (damage received minus damage dealt minus healing to self) would still be flat at best. 500 heal for over a second of fooling around isn’t even sort of worth it.

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Med Kit

in Engineer

Tiilimon.6094

Hmm, funny that for my build the throwables already heal others for 1700~

So 1500 +0.25*healpowah (2k~) +73% outgoing healing would be.. 3460

So if I would spend the whole 3-4~ seconds throwing all 4 packs, it would reach almost 14k from just picking them up.

As a comparison, a blast finisher into a wf for this build heals others for 3k, super elixir for 2500~

Med Kit

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

Interesting. I guess I’ve never tried it stacking HP. Maybe worth experimenting at least…

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Med Kit

in Engineer

Tiilimon.6094

Check out Toss Elixir R as well, it benefits from outgoing healing bonuses and revives VERY FAST with the medkit equipped, which is another reason why I’m rolling with it instead of HT.

Med Kit

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

I do like R… I’ll have to try it. Could be fun at least, if not optimal.

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Med Kit

in Engineer

santenal.1054

I would also like to see all the healing removed from skills #3 #4 #5 and added to #2 (with an increased cooldown) to make it worth your time swapping to med kit for self healing. edit: see other suggestion
The old med kit had the same problem (to much time spend in med kit for selfhealing)

question: With the old med kit I could use “Drop Antidote” (condi cleans) to instantly get out of fear. Can you do that with elixir b (+alchemical trinctures) and with toss elixir b?

(edited by santenal.1054)

Med Kit

in Engineer

Tiilimon.6094

But why would you self heal with a kit that’s only purpose seems to be healing others :P

Just doesn’t make much sense to me to take it for solo play instead of the other options.

Med Kit

in Engineer

santenal.1054

But why would you self heal with a kit that’s only purpose seems to be healing others :P

Just doesn’t make much sense to me to take it for solo play instead of the other options.

Med kit used to be/is a strong selfheal on par with healing turret (theoretically). I just want what med kit always was (a good self heal) but practically usable this time (not having to spend so much time in it) and dont want med kit to turn in some niche thing only healing builds really benefit from. The whole reason they did a med kit overhaul was because med kit saw so little use and they messed it up hard, I bet it sees even less use now then before. I even used to roam with it to proc runes with med kit swap, but that got removed also.

Med Kit

in Engineer

Tiilimon.6094

Yeah, but now after the changes it’s become the greatest group healing option and I wouldn’t want that changed either, especially as there are many self healing options around that do the job better.

There must be a reason why they doubled the trait bonus a few months ago

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

or maybe they could just buff #1 and make 2-5 skills simply apply buffs to allies you know like the whole Buff Pylon that got removed during development

Med Kit

in Engineer

ellesee.8297

Med kit used to be/is a strong selfheal on par with healing turret (theoretically). I just want what med kit always was (a good self heal) but practically usable this time (not having to spend so much time in it) and dont want med kit to turn in some niche thing only healing builds really benefit from. The whole reason they did a med kit overhaul was because med kit saw so little use and they messed it up hard, I bet it sees even less use now then before. I even used to roam with it to proc runes with med kit swap, but that got removed also.

My suggestion doesn’t turn it into a niche healing kit. It gives a lot of self buffs with the possibility of healing and supporting your team if you build and trait for it.

#1 Frandliest person NA!

Med Kit

in Engineer

santenal.1054

My suggestion doesn’t turn it into a niche healing kit. It gives a lot of self buffs with the possibility of healing and supporting your team if you build and trait for it.

I didn’t say it does, just to be clear. But wouldn’t you want “Throw Bandages” to be a beter heal with a longer cooldown?

Med Kit

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

Actually case in point: today I made a build that uses mess kit to great effect. It’s a condi stealth bomber build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqansTB1ahVVB2XBEqiF2iiO4H+kH8DLxAYMHHjfE-TpgRABAs/gzlBAA

Feels like cheating to double heal with kinetic battery

Edit: plays better with viper

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

(edited by Goosekilla.2796)

Med Kit

in Engineer

ellesee.8297

M8 your build dies to one bleed. Get some condi removal in there.

#1 Frandliest person NA!

Med Kit

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

M8 your build dies to one bleed. Get some condi removal in there.

1) it has adaptive armor, melandru runes, and a decent health pool (with sage army), so I pretty much laugh the condis off if they stick.
2) that’s one of the major ways Medkit shines in this build. The 2 skill removes a damaging condi up to every 5 seconds, and if it really gets too hot, I pop resistance.
3) the build has a lot of stealth, decent blind access, and and tons of healing. I was surprised myself to see more healing with this than in an elixirs/bunker down build. Between those, I find I can avoid and/or heal plenty of damage. Perma swiftness and access to reflect also help make sure I disengage when I want, heal quickly, and get back in the fight to burn someone else down.
4) don’t get me wrong; you can’t camp on point in this build. It’s probably better suited to wvwvw, actually.

Edit: admit it only has high health if you go sage over viper. Even so, the adaptive armor and runes do fine.

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

(edited by Goosekilla.2796)

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

My medkit build is a bit different.

In WvW, a stealthed medkit engi can run around stomping enemies, rezzing allies, using Medkit skills, dropping Super Elixir, throwing elixirs to buff/rez allies and clear conditions. Two of the Scrappers minor traits are about rezzing allies and stomping foes, and our elite is about staying in stealth a long time…. why not stay in stealth a long time doing that and also doing other productive things that don’t break stealth? You can have a dozen skills that don’t break stealth…

It doesn’t work as well as it looked on paper because Medical Dispersion Field works with one passive regen, but not with others:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Medical-Dispersion-Field-passive-broke/first#post6182433

Med Kit

in Engineer

santenal.1054

I didn’t say it does, just to be clear. But wouldn’t you want “Throw Bandages” to be a beter heal with a longer cooldown?

I totally forgot #2 was a condi cleans. So increasing the #2 cooldown would nerf the med kit. Instead i would suggest moving all the healing from #2-#5 to bandage self (4920 +4*505=6940) and keep the regen on #2 (910). That way its competitive with healing turret as a self heal.

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

I totally forgot #2 was a condi cleans. So increasing the #2 cooldown would nerf the med kit. Instead i would suggest moving all the healing from #2-#5 to bandage self (4920 +4*505=6940) and keep the regen on #2 (910). That way its competitive with healing turret as a self heal.

It isn’t supposed to be a strong self heal. Look at the trait and the whole design, it is meant as a supportive team healing. The problem is it isn’t good at it.

I would like to present my own idea for a rework:
We increase the healing on the skills 2-5 and give additional healing if one of the conditions the skill is meant for is cleansed. That way you can throw your packs at the team member that has the fitting condition, giving a huge heal the same time.
That way a Med Kit engineer would get rewarded if he manages to use the correct skill for each team member.

That leaves us with a problem: with greatly increased healing on the skills, the burst heal for one target if you use all packages for him would be broken. That’s why we introduce a new debuff to the skills 2-5. It is called overdose. If a team member picks up a healing package, he gets the debuff overdose for x seconds. This debuff is stackable and each stacks reduces the healing of the next consumed package by x % (should have a huge impact). If you have to desperately cleanse conditions from an ally, you can still do so but the heal wouldn’t increase much after the first package. But you get rewarded if you manage your skills well (since you are healing even more when cleansing right conditions on as many targets as possible).

Med Kit

in Engineer

santenal.1054

It isn’t supposed to be a strong self heal.

Thats quite a statement. Did anet say they wanted it to be that way?

Healing turret is pretty good at both, why shouldn’t med kit be like that?

Med Kit

in Engineer

Tiilimon.6094

Anet pretty clearly redesigned it for healing others, and it already has one strong self heal as the toolbelt skill.

Good stuff Kodama, overdose sounds just like the kind of mechanic the kit could use to remove some awkward aspects of using it.
also I like that there would be another reason for keeping my eyes on friendly boonbars.

Med Kit

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

Maybe I misunderstood you here, but you said we move the heal from the skills 2-5 to self heal. That means just skill 2 heals (per regeneration) and skills 3-5 wouldn’t heal at all. Basically that would mean to sacrifice almost all team healing (except little regeneration and AA) for the self healing.

Or did you mean keeping the ally heal on the skills and just increase the self heal with the same amount?

Med Kit

in Engineer

santenal.1054

Maybe I misunderstood you here, but you said we move the heal from the skills 2-5 to self heal. That means just skill 2 heals (per regeneration) and skills 3-5 wouldn’t heal at all. Basically that would mean to sacrifice almost all team healing (except little regeneration and AA) for the self healing.

Or did you mean keeping the ally heal on the skills and just increase the self heal with the same amount?

You understood me correctly.

edit: my suggestion is not a completely worked out concept, i just want it to also be a good selfheal if anet decides to rework it. But i doubt they will ever do a big overhaul like your suggestion due to it being a bit to much coding work. I think the best we can expect is some changes to the numbers and throwing mechanic like suggestion B.

Med Kit

in Engineer

santenal.1054

edit: my suggestion is not a completely worked out concept, i just want it to also be a good selfheal if anet decides to rework it. But i doubt they will ever do a big overhaul like your suggestion due to it being a bit to much coding work. I think the best we can expect is some changes to the numbers and throwing mechanic like suggestion B from the OP.

Med Kit

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

edit: my suggestion is not a completely worked out concept, i just want it to also be a good selfheal if anet decides to rework it. But i doubt they will ever do a big overhaul like your suggestion due to it being a bit to much coding work. I think the best we can expect is some changes to the numbers and throwing mechanic like suggestion B from the OP.

Unfortunately I have to admit that it is unlikely Med Kit is getting a huge rework again. The problem is: Med Kit is not balancable with just small number changes, at least in my opinion.

Med Kit was supposed to be a supportive team healing kit. But it doesn’t work out. The healing from the packages is too small if you spread them over the whole team. Why are they so small? Because they couldn’t make the numbers bigger without making them overpowered when the engineer uses them for himself alone.

Anet tried to fix this problem with the new Med Kit trait, giving more healing when you give it to allies instead of yourself. But I think it wasn’t enough, that’s why I thought about this mechanic.

I’m still hoping anet wants to give us the feeling of a battlefield doctor finally. ^^

“What happened to him? – He got burned by a fireball – Give this man a bandage… what about him? – Crippled by caltrops – A syringe of painkillers then…”

Med Kit

in Engineer

Goosekilla.2796

Unfortunately I have to admit that it is unlikely Med Kit is getting a huge rework again. The problem is: Med Kit is not balancable with just small number changes, at least in my opinion.

Med Kit was supposed to be a supportive team healing kit. But it doesn’t work out. The healing from the packages is too small if you spread them over the whole team. Why are they so small? Because they couldn’t make the numbers bigger without making them overpowered when the engineer uses them for himself alone.

Anet tried to fix this problem with the new Med Kit trait, giving more healing when you give it to allies instead of yourself. But I think it wasn’t enough, that’s why I thought about this mechanic.

I’m still hoping anet wants to give us the feeling of a battlefield doctor finally. ^^

“What happened to him? – He got burned by a fireball – Give this man a bandage… what about him? – Crippled by caltrops – A syringe of painkillers then…”

The reality is that it’s also nearly impossible to be sure that your tossed items get to the correct team member. I know my own movement, and have gotten good at picking up my own tosses, but when trying to hit a party member with this, it misses almost without fail. Even if it was all instant cast (which would be kitten to come up with an animation for) just the travel time through the air is long enough that it’s hard to predict where anyone will be by the time your toss had deployed. Increased projectile speed might help…

Hit Monleee – 80 engi
Cubones Mother – 80 mes
Jade Quarry [Uhhh]

Med Kit

in Engineer

misterdevious.6482

Anet pretty clearly redesigned it for healing others, and it already has one strong self heal as the toolbelt skill.

So the last few comments say the throwing of the kits is not easy and the healing is too little. Medical Dispersion Field helps with both of those issues. I thought Anet pretty clearly designed the “Medical Dispersion Field” to be used with the Medical Kit. Dropping kits for yourself provides the most total healing.

With +53% outgoing healing…

• Heal yourself for 900.
  • Heal an ally for 1377.
  • Heal yourself for 900 and 5 allies for 275 each. Total healing = 2275.

Medical Dispersion field is broken in regards to passive regens. It quite obviously spreads healing from Rapid Regeneration every second, but doesn’t do the same with Regeneration, Backpack Regenerator, or Super Elixir. If it was working with Regeneration, then maintaining it on yourself with Medkit 2 could mean another 100+ health per second on nearby allies.

Med Kit

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

With +53% outgoing healing…

• Heal yourself for 900.
  • Heal an ally for 1377.
  • Heal yourself for 900 and 5 allies for 275 each. Total healing = 2275.

Medical Dispersion field is broken in regards to passive regens. It quite obviously spreads healing from Rapid Regeneration every second, but doesn’t do the same with Regeneration, Backpack Regenerator, or Super Elixir. If it was working with Regeneration, then maintaining it on yourself with Medkit 2 could mean another 100+ health per second on nearby allies.

Well, that would mean that Medical Dispersion Field is necessary to make Med Kit work as a group healing skill (which it is supposed to be). Anet stated in the past that they dont want that traits are necessary to make specific skills useful. I And even if you use it, this would mean you heal yourself by a big spike and all your allies just get “20% leftovers”.

I still feel they should try to change Med Kits mechanic to something that makes it a great supportive healing for the whole team….

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: miriforst.1290

miriforst.1290

Its amazing how they killed the kit they reworked to increase popularity. From having been a survivalist and hit and run tool it went to become a package of support so incredibly mediocre its hard to see what went on in their heads. Especially with the healing specs introduced with HOT. And those specs heal more and do more in a AOE. They totally reworked it and introduced new assets and then they just let it rot. That is some hilariously badly spent working hours.

But the thing with arenanet is that they would rather buff things thats not too bad off instead of fixing the truly messed upp things, thats why pistol offhand got a buff but not the shield and thats why elixirs got a buff but turrets, gadgets and medkit is still considered a series of jokes. Because its easier to do and less likely to break something.

Also this might sound crazy, but speaking of medical dispersion field….

What if it was: “You heal yourself for 20% less. Outgoing healing is improved (50% (or whatever))”

This means that at the cost of increased self risk you can push your healing up quite a bit.

Its still a boring trait yes, but atleast it would be impactfull, especially with the medkit trait.

(edited by miriforst.1290)

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

Wait for next balance patch. Maybe they finally fix it.

Med Kit

in Engineer

misterdevious.6482

Just ran around with Med Kit today in WvW, decked out for as much healing as possible. (mostly Exotic, some ascended trinkets)

• The average Med Blaster heal pulses were from 300-450… so allies in range could get 900-1.3k heals (each shot can heal 5 allies 3 times).
  • Med Blaster pulses for over 500 were rare. The highest I saw was 566.
  • Super Elixir could pulse for 700+ while in Medkit.
  • Regeneration could tick for 650+ while in Medkit
  • With my build, I could get more than 50% uptime of Quickness which does affect Med Blaster.

Going back through the logs, it looks like each Med Blast was typically only reaching 2-4 people that needed healing.

I’m going to keep working on it.

Attachments:

(edited by misterdevious.6482)

Med Kit

in Engineer

Tiilimon.6094

[Med blaster heals *3 allies 3 times otherwise nice data gathering ops.]
! I was wrong! when was this changed?

Try elixir shell + Double OS with medkit equipped, it’s very delicious into a pile of hurt allies.

Also eat some rice balls, they’re a cheap +100 healing +10% outgoing buff

(edited by Tiilimon.6094)

Med Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

The main issue I see with med kit is that it’s next to impossible to get the #2-5 skills to an ally that needs them when they’re not just standing there AFK. The travel time is too slow and the pickup radius is waaay too small for the reactive usage they seem to be designed for. I’d suggest a 50% projectile speed increase as a start, and the pickup radius increased to 90. It would be nice if they provided their effects in an AoE (max 180 radius-ish) as well to ensure the effect gets to the right target.

I’m not really a fan of the #1 skill though, or of anything that’s designed to just heal/support and nothing else. I’d rather see it changed into something that isn’t an autoattack, or at the very least something that also does some form of damage or debuffing. I’d also like to see the med kit trait changed into something that doesn’t promote sitting in med kit as much as possible.