My suggested changes to the Engineer (draft)

in Engineer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

DISCLAIMER

sPVP oriented

This is by no way extensive or “be-all-end-all” type of thing. This is just my idea how to change some of the more pressing things for engineer.
A lot of this would need to be tweaked probably like whether 1 or 2s burn etc. A lot of things could be done for other classes but since i play engie mostly i’ll put time and effort into engie post.

Focus is to have fun and useful skills instead of useless and boring or useful and boring.

KITS

Flamethrower

• Flame Jet – channel time down to 1,75s (from 2,25s)
  • Flame Blast – applies 2 seconds of Burning when it explodes
  • Napalm – additionally blinds enemies passing through.
  • Smoke Vent – changed back to Backdraft; Backdraft – Pull up to 3 enemies in front of you and apply 5 seconds of burning. 35s CD Range 450.

Tool Kit

• Thwack – affects up to 3 enemies now. Can do full chain on turrets for increased healing.
  • Pry Bar – affects up to 3 enemies now. Cooldown 12s down from 15s. Moved to #2 spot on weapon bar
  • Box of Nails – replaced with Throw Wrench
  • Magnet – Channel time 0,75s down from 1,25s
  • Throw Wrench toolbelt skill replaced with Box of Nails. Cooldown increased to 30seconds. Cast time 0,75s. Duration 10seconds (yes, similar to Thief’s Caltrops)

Elixir Gun

• Tranquilizer Dart – Base damage increased by ~15-20%
  • Acid Bomb – additionally Burns(1s) enemies in puddle every 1 second for the duration of puddle
  • Super Elixir – Combo Field changed to Water from Light. Duration reduced from 10seconds to 5 seconds. Pulse heal increased by 100%. CD increased to 25s.
    OR
  • Super Elixir – apply 3-4 seconds of protection upon impact

Bomb Kit

• Glue Bomb – puddle duration 5 seconds up from 3 seconds

Grenade Kit

• Unchanged

WEAPONS

Rifle

• Blunderbuss – range dependancy removed. Now does same damage on all ranges up to 400 to strengthen Engineer’s middle-role
  • Jump Shot – Faster animation for jumping/landing for increased accuracy. Radius increased to 180 up from 120

Pistols

• Explosive Shot – now pierces by default. Trait removed.
  • Poison Dart Volley – now pierces by default. Spread reduced but still not 100% accurate.
  • Glue Shot – redesigned. Now works like Blowtorch. Affects up to 3 targets in a cone. 20s CD
    Range 200 – 3s Immobilize, 3s Cripple (effectively 0s cripple with full immobilize)
    Range 400 – 2s Immobilize, 3s Cripple (effectively 1s cripple with full immobilize)
    Range 600 – 1s Immobilize, 3s Cripple (effectively 2s cripple with full immobilize)

GADGETS

Rocket Boots – now does jump instead of self knockback. Added vertical height to animation to avoid small objects blocking this. Knockbacks enemies in radius 120 (melee range). Weak knockback serving more as an interrupt. Cooldown, damage, stun breaker remain the same

Throw Mine – Removes 3 boons up from 1, from up to 5 enemies. Damage increased by 100%. Radius increased to 240 up from 180. Cooldown increased to 40 seconds up from 18 seconds.

• Mine Field – Place 5 mines around yourself in perfect circle. Each mine applies 3 stacks of bleeding (5s) when detonated. Radius 180 up from 120. Cooldown 60s

Personal Battering Ram Cooldown reduced to 35 seconds down from 45.

• Launch Battering Ram – Cripple removed. Now dazes for 2 seconds.

Slick Shoes Cooldown changed to 45 seconds down from 60

Utility Goggles Cooldown changed to 30s down from 40s

TURRETS

• Increased armor and health for all turrets so they don’t die in 1-2 hits from random AOE.
  • Fixed AI for targetting (this is the toughest one for AN :P)

Turret Traits

• Rifled Turret Barrels – now adds 1 second to Flame Turrets Burning duration (since it does not really benefit from +15% damage). Turrets take 30% damage less from attacks.
  • Metal Plating – combined with Rifled Turret Barrels. Trait Removed.
  • NEW Trait Tier 1 in place of Metal Plating; “Version 2.0 – Turrets now cause additional effect when detonated/destroyed” Flame Turret – 2s aoe burn, Net Turret 2s daze to whoever destroyed it or whoever is closest when detonated, Thumper Turret 200 Knockback AoE, Rifle Turret AoE 3 stacks of 3s Bleed

ELITES
Elixir X – removed from game. That has got to be the most unoriginal elite in the game for an Engineer class.

Mortar – Range increased to 2500. Minimum range set to 500. Engineer is now the owner of mortar and can force remove other players from operating the mortar. Damage increased by 50%. Rest unchanged.

NEW Elite – some kind of new elite kit maybe or elite turret. Go wild with this one guys ^^

ENDING WORDS
This is more less something I envision or the way we could go with Engineer. I didn’t touch traits in general because that is a topic of itself really. Many of them could use changing or combining together.

We also need bug fixes but that is universal for all professions.

(edited by Killyox.3950)

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

+1 above post if you like it. Who knows. Might come to ArenaNets attention maybe

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

I think you went overboard with alot of stuff, many of those changes would not be balanced at all. prybar deserves a nerf as it is yet you want it to hit 3 targets? 5 seconds of aoe burn (on a pull!) for the flamethrower, would be 10 with 100% duration, combined with IA, way too much :p
there’s other clearly op stuff in there, but I’ll move along to the pistols:
while having them pierce by default wouldn’t be gamebreaking (check mesmer gs1), you want to completely ruin glue shot. it’s strenght (imo) is the ability to be shot backwards to delay chasing enemies. making it a cone would destroy its current use.

it’s good that you felt like contributing your ideas, I’m not trying to diss you, but you should keep it realistic and balanced.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

I think you went overboard with alot of stuff, many of those changes would not be balanced at all. prybar deserves a nerf as it is yet you want it to hit 3 targets? 5 seconds of aoe burn (on a pull!) for the flamethrower, would be 10 with 100% duration, combined with IA, way too much :p
there’s other clearly op stuff in there, but I’ll move along to the pistols:
while having them pierce by default wouldn’t be gamebreaking (check mesmer gs1), you want to completely ruin glue shot. it’s strenght (imo) is the ability to be shot backwards to delay chasing enemies. making it a cone would destroy its current use.

it’s good that you felt like contributing your ideas, I’m not trying to diss you, but you should keep it realistic and balanced.

These are PvP changes. Not for WvW. 100% condi dur doesn’t mean anything because in WvW you can get from food and runes -65% condi dur effectively shutting +dur down by a lot. Also burn stacks duration, not intensity so it’s not like someone will get burst down. that 10 seconds with 100% duration is still only 3,5second with runes and food for -duration.

If someone invests into making conditions longer you should compare it to other person making similar investment into making them shorter.

Pry Bar is not OP. It doesn’t even come close to concussion bomb for example which is much better and Tool Kit is not really used competitvely.

If you say something is OP please go into detail about it. Just saying “there is stuff OP” doesn’t add anything at all. Most of these are fixes for underpowered things. Not really OP.

About Backdraft. You seem to think it’s OP. Well it’s not. That was the original #5 skill on flamethrower and it was not removed because being OP but for other reason; ANet didn;t want Flamethrower to have too much CC which that pull is. Burn on it was never a concern even in times were cleanses were a lot weaker.

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

come on, you dont need me to spell every single one out, you have to know those are unrealistic.

about backdraft, I wasn’t aware it gave burning too back then, I stand corrected. I still think it would be too much considering how stuff works right now.

also, you said nothing about this suggestions being for spvp or in general.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Posted by: Siofra Crumble.2098

Siofra Crumble.2098

• Pry Bar – affects up to 3 enemies now. Cooldown 12s down from 15s. Moved to #2 spot on weapon bar

Cleaving and reduced cooldown? Oh my.
That basically means if you jump on a node with a war and 2 thieves on it and land prybar they all disengage or die.

Also, what Mask said is correct. To many way to obvious and OP things in there.
Elixir Gun is powerful as is, pistol really don’t need pierce by default since they do splash damage by default, box of nails is fine being the caltrops little brother, blunderbuss not requiring melee for the full effect would make it way to powerful, …

And yes, I’m looking at this from a both a PvP and WvW/PvE perspective.
I’m sorry, but most changes you suggest would be way to OP.

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

come on, you dont need me to spell every single one out, you have to know those are unrealistic.

about backdraft, I wasn’t aware it gave burning too back then, I stand corrected. I still think it would be too much considering how stuff works right now.

also, you said nothing about this suggestions being for spvp or in general.

That’s not how it works. Sorry. You go into detail exactly what is op and why and provide material for counterargument or don’t say a thing. I don’t have much to go on by if you don’t post any constructive feedback.

I post from sPvP organized Team vs Team POV. Not hotjoin, not wvw, not pve.

PS

added info now that it is spvp oriented, good catch

Cleaving and reduced cooldown? Oh my.
That basically means if you jump on a node with a war and 2 thieves on it and land prybar they all disengage or die.

Also, what Mask said is correct. To many way to obvious and OP things in there.
Elixir Gun is powerful as is, pistol really don’t need pierce by default since they do splash damage by default, box of nails is fine being the caltrops little brother, blunderbuss not requiring melee for the full effect would make it way to powerful, …

And yes, I’m looking at this from a both a PvP and WvW/PvE perspective.
I’m sorry, but most changes you suggest would be way to OP.

Again. How is Pry Bar any better than Concussion Bomb? How many Engineers with Tool Kit do you see in Team vs Team pvp (not some pugs)

How many do you see with Elixir Gun ?

About thief argument, 2 thieves drop engie before he gets close. Dunno what kind of argument is it that 2 thieves run from single Pry Bar.

How would Blunderbuss be too powerful ? Flame Blast already hits harder and does not need it. My Guardians #1 attack hits stronger than blunderbuss both non crit. 3k crit is much ? No it is not.

Pistols do not do splash dmg by default. Just #1 and #4 do. #3 is not a splash really. Darts don’t splash, splash from pistol does not apply bleeding and dmg from splash is pitiful because pistols scale very bad with power (30% vs Rifles 60%) even if they are a bit faster #1 is still weak.

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

There is disclaimer you guys know

" A lot of this would need to be tweaked probably like whether 1 or 2s burn etc "

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

I actually have a pretty big list of changes too, but there is a reason I’ve never posted it. It’s just a wishlist. You need to explain why you want each change or else that’s all it is. It’s hard for a dev to take anything from it at all beyond what the hopes and dreams of Killyox concerning the Engineer class is. It needs arguments, discussion, and elaboration. More then just “it needs changes” and “it’s weak” as well, since that’s not descriptive enough.

I mostly agree with Mask here that the changes as a whole would be too much. I do realize though that you may not intend for everything to absolutely go through though. I think alongside your disclaimer that things would need to be tweaked obviously, that everything shouldn’t necessarily be all done at once. Additionally this kind of thing would assume similar overhauls of other classes as well, so even then it wouldn’t really change the balance of power too much and hopefully just increase build diversity.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in Engineer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

I think they could make some changes in WvW, not just sPvP.

I do have some thoughts myself on this.

DISCLAIMER

sPVP oriented

This is by no way extensive or “be-all-end-all” type of thing. This is just my idea how to change some of the more pressing things for engineer.
A lot of this would need to be tweaked probably like whether 1 or 2s burn etc. A lot of things could be done for other classes but since i play engie mostly i’ll put time and effort into engie post.

Focus is to have fun and useful skills instead of useless and boring or useful and boring.

KITS

Tool Kit

• Thwack – affects up to 3 enemies now. Can do full chain on turrets for increased healing.
  • Box of Nails – replaced with Throw Wrench
  • Magnet – Channel time 0,75s down from 1,25s
  • Throw Wrench toolbelt skill replaced with Box of Nails. Cooldown increased to 30seconds. Cast time 0,75s. Duration 10seconds (yes, similar to Thief’s Caltrops)

WEAPONS
Pistols

• Explosive Shot – now pierces by default. Trait removed.
  • Poison Dart Volley – now pierces by default. Spread reduced but still not 100% accurate.
  • Glue Shot – redesigned. Now works like Blowtorch. Affects up to 3 targets in a cone. 20s CD
    Range 200 – 3s Immobilize, 3s Cripple (effectively 0s cripple with full immobilize)
    Range 400 – 2s Immobilize, 3s Cripple (effectively 1s cripple with full immobilize)
    Range 600 – 1s Immobilize, 3s Cripple (effectively 2s cripple with full immobilize)

GADGETS

Rocket Boots – now does jump instead of self knockback. Added vertical height to animation to avoid small objects blocking this. Knockbacks enemies in radius 120 (melee range). Weak knockback serving more as an interrupt. Cooldown, damage, stun breaker remain the same

I would rather see #1 wrench cause some bleeding & magnet launch instead of box of nails (think opposite to magnet pull). As far as pistols go, I think the only thing that would greatly help this is if our grandmaster trait bounced instead of pierce. I would rather rocket boots work w/o self knockdown with increased leap range on its toolbelt skill,

Just me.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)