Post Your Build Thread

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Hey everybody,

I’ve seen a few threads around where people are posting their builds, but those threads are getting lost in the throng of other posts on the forum. So, I present to you, a build thread.

• Post your favorite builds here.
  • Be sure to post as many details about your build and how you play it so others may benefit from your knowledge.
  • Also, feel free to ask for advice on your build as well.

Note: I’ve noticed an error some people get when linking to their builds at gw2skills.net. This is due to a semicolon (;) in the URL. If there’s a semicolon in your url, please use a URL shortener (tinyurl.com or bit.ly) until we are able to fix this error with linking and semicolons. Thanks!

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.4.8.0.0.0.37.0.0.0.80.99.100.101.102.2.8.6.0.0.0.244.246.250.0.0.0.276.0.0.288.287.297.0.30.0.10.30

FIRST! This build is all about control. The lack of defense is made up for a substantial amount of control. I will usually open with Net Shot and then Launch Personal Battering Ram. As I whittle them down with Hip Shot, I’ll wait until they get into range of a good Blunderbuss, followed by an immediate Overcharged Shot. I get about another Hip Shot or two before Net Shot is up yet again for another Immobilize.

From here, it’s just a matter of keeping them at range with Personal Battering Ram, Slick Shoes, and Rocket Boots. Sometimes I swap in Utility Goggles for Rocket Boots if I’m at Khylo, as Rocket Boots inside that map can and most likely will get you killed.

(edited by Aristio.2784)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Sorrow.7452

Sorrow.7452

Flamethrower x 10 stacks of might, 100% uptime.

Superior Rune of the Fire x2
Superior Rune of Hoelbrak x2
Superior Rune of Strength x2

Chocolate Orange or Chocolate Omnomberry Cream

Originally I had posted this as a WvW spec, but honestly its just a setup to hover around 25 stacks of might, self buffed, use it as you will, however you feel it best be used. The important points are Fast-Acting Elixirs, Juggernaut, HGH, and 30 alchemy with the above setup. Take Elixir H and B, Flamethrower, and whichever elixir of your choosing, then spam them as much as possible, including the toolbelt.

Attachments:

(edited by Sorrow.7452)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: RaCast.6510

RaCast.6510

sPvP point control

Traits:
3 & 8 of explosives
6 & 7 of inventions
1 & 10 of alchemy
6 of tools

Utility:
Bomb kit
Flamethrower Kit
Elixir r
Supply crate

Pistol and Shield combo

Basically this build maximizes your point control and can easily hold a point vs two invaders for extended periods of time. Run in, plant a large bomb to clear the point. When they come back in, hit your glue and smoke and bleed bombs. Switch out to shield, use your aoe reflect and stun. If they come back switch to flamethrower to vent smoke, lay down napalm, then air blast them out again. Grab heals from med kit when necessary and lay down your supply crate when necessary. If you’re about to go down throw elixir r beneath yourself. Guarunteed revive and you’re holding the point for even longer.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

PvE- But also applicable in PvP if needed-Also I use it in WvW

Anyway:

Rifle, Elixir H, Grenade Kit, Elixir B, Elixir R, Supply Crate

I tend to prefer power builds, so the rifle is my option naturally. Its use for kiting however, is to be noted. Net shot+ grenade barrage is great, as is overcharged shot for hard CC on your enemy, or for removing those pesky chills/cripples/immobilizes. Aside from that, I tend not to use the rifle TOO much, except maybe in high mobility scenarios where the grenade kit is unreliable.

Grenade kit is the obvious go to damage, it has high hits, so crits and procs are often and many and stacks vulnerability.

Elixir H is for the good synergy with my elixir traits, and allows me to support my allies with non RNG elements, in the form of condition removal.

Elixir B thrown also does this nicely. Elixir B when drunk is mainly there for the fury buff, to help my crit chance. It is not as high as it can be, so this tips it over the edge. Plus, the condition removal synergy is good.

Elixir R is my stun breaker and its quite nifty for dodging AoEs. Thrown version is very nice supporting, or saving your hide.

Gear: “knights” gear for toughness, power and precision.

I use knights for the precision and power mainly, the toughness helps a lot in surviving though. I feel that berserkers is too squishy for my liking.

Traits:
30- Incendiary Powder, Explosive Powder, Grenadier
20- Hair Trigger, Go For The Eyes
20- Fast Acting Elixirs, Cleansing Formula 409

Main idea is: Buffing grenades, elixirs and the rifle. 20 in alchemy is pretty vital for the 2000 health bonus as I have none of that in gear, and the precision generally helps with crit chance. Since it isn’t a conditions build, I have none of it in my gear, but I still use two procs in the form of sharpshooter and incendiary powder. Its not my specialty, but its a huge DPS boost nonetheless.

Go for the eyes is great for helping yourself and your group in general.

Finally: Runes and Sigils:
Sigil of air- for helping burst damage, its short cooldown and very useful.
Rune of Divinity/Rune of The Eagle- Both are good really, its about the crit damage and crit chance ultimately.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Gunblade Hero.2806

Gunblade Hero.2806

Oh hey, a sticky. Whoops.

build 1: http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#MMMM9mMTnVkMTFRkaxaG0VmsaVoa

Built for kiting and straight up damage with the rifle. Took the blind on crit to help against ranged classes, and the rifle jump and help close the distance. Can replace Ram with net turret.

Build 2: http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#MMMM9mMxLVMMxLVMGxaa0VaVRqVM

My Current build, its built to withstand a good bit of damage so that I can use the flamethrower without dieing a horrible, yet quick, death. The Hidden Pistol is used for the tool belt, and its basically a more powerful Flamethrower Auto Attack, and quicker build up time.

build 3: http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#MMMzz9MzMgloMMglcMV0fxGVVakcV

This is a Condition damage build that doubles as a good support. Lots of condition removal, Regen/heals, poisons/bleeds and a burn when not using the elixir gun, and a fair bit of buffs.

Build 4: http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#MMMzM9MzoMmhMoMmhM0axx0ockbocb

Pure Theory-crafting nonsense. Supposed to be a point defender.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Spitwyld.1963

Spitwyld.1963

I made this thread a few days ago: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Engineer-Guides-The-Compendium/first#post192076

It’s a compilation of some builds I found online and will continue to expand it as time goes on.

~Spit

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Skippy.2351

Skippy.2351

So I’ve been trying to find a way for an Engineer to do both great DPS and help his party out a little and I think I’ve discovered a way.

One thing that Engineer seems to be able to apply well and consistently that other classes don’t seem to apply so much is Vulnerability.

I can keep up a stack of 15+ vulnerability by myself with 25 spikes from time to time with ease. This causes all of your party to do 15-25% more damage and mobs will go down noticeably quicker.

Without further ado the build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcAQFAUl0piYnwy2F17Iy4DcGYGAW995xb1WQIA

If you turn on the option that lets you target on mouse pointer grenades become a lot more user friendly.

I make sure grenade kit is active, open with 2 and then spam 1…if bleeding is going to drop off then I hit 2 again and just keep spamming 1. 3 and 4 are for defense.

Your Goggles allow you to apply vulnerability faster and obviously analyze really helps there as does Grenade Barrage.

Honestly it’s not the most interesting build in the world but it does so much damage it isn’t funny and it will boost your parties damage by a lot as well.

If you have any questions my IGN is Engineer Skippy

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Strifer.3507

Strifer.3507

my PVE build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcEQFAUlIqiYHwSdFgNJyoCdGIF5lfJqQl95Bb1WQIA
rifle/grenade kit build.
Rare explorer armor sets for the Magic Find % and decent power/prec stats.
Endgame armor and weapon sets would be swapped to Berserker exotics.

In dungeon runs, rifle is swapped with pistol/shield for the great support and control skills/combo. Elixir B is swapped with Elixir R for the revive toolbelt skill.
Explorer armor set too.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

This is the Support/Control/Solo pve build that i’ve been using throughout most of my time as an engineer.

http://tinyurl.com/8ft3xnn

Gear is mostly Condition damage/toughness/precision

I liked both P/P and rifle equally, but i preferred the looks and control of rifles. I spend most of my time in kits anyway.

Healing Turret – For the heal when placed, the regeneration and the aoe heal when detonated with the water field it creates. Gain might when detonated on top of Napalm from flamethrower.

Elixir Gun – Groups will love you for using this.
Constant single target weakness, 3 seconds of swiftness for 4 party members or cripple for 4 enemies on a 6 second cooldown.
Fumigate for poison/vulnerability or 5 condition removals for all friendlies sprayed (i wish i could spray myself with it).
Acid bomb for stationary targets and for the jump back.
Super Elixir for even more condition removal.
I use the elixir gun for single targets, when i really need the extra survivability or if i need to stay at range.

Flamethrower – This is used for tighly packed groups or just when there’s a bunch on bad guys running around.
Flame Jet does ok damage, but its great when paired with on crit effects.
Flame Blast is tricky to use and buggy. I mostly use it when running towards my targets.
Air Blast is a fantastic knockback but good luck reflecting projectiles with it.
Napalm for the fire combo field. Have one down whenever possible for you and the team to shoot through
Smoke Vent is best saved when knocked down/dazed, when an enemy is charging up a big attack or when surrounded.

Net Turret – This and healing turret are the only turrets really worth anything.
I use it for chaining immobilize against melee mobs and bosses. Net attack, Rifle net shot, net turret, electified net, rifle net shot makes for a very long series of immobilizes and some dazes from electrified net.
I’ll occasionally change this out for Elixir R in groups.

Supply Crate – The best engineer elite skill by far.
Elixir X underwater whirlpool can dish out some serious damage but the chance of getting it makes it not worth it.

Toolbelt – Plenty of aoe regen, a burn and an immobilize.
Tip for Incendiary Ammo, it has a 45 second duration so applying it well before a fight would be best.

Traits – Fairly basic chance on crit traits (burn and swiftness) with cooldowns for kit skills and extra toughness and might when using a flamethrower.
Infused Precision/Invigorating Speed/Elixir Guns #2 go hand in hand with applying swiftness and vigor almost permanently in combat.
Protection Injection for protection against some of the nastier conditions.
Kit Refinement for 100% light combo field uptime (Elixir Gun) and aoe burn (Flamethrower)
Swap out Kit Refinement for Speedy Kits when travelling.

I’m still trying to master fluidity between kit skills but i’ve still been able to use this setup without many problems.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: dlechestnut.3954

dlechestnut.3954

Currently working with an explosives expert

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#MMMzM9MzoaNlMMxNlMx0GG0ckqMRms

When soloing, the strategy is essentially to soften them up and put on a few conditions with the grenades (in this order: 4-5-3-2-1-F2). Switch back to pistol which will let you combo some more poison. When they get close, shield-4 and BoB will knock them back for a few more shots and/or kite with the bombs.

Heals mostly come from the two belt utilities. Obviously, you can swap out the turret for Elixir H, but I generally leave the turret up for when I come across a group. Supply drop helps in a panic because you get the healing kit.

When you meet up with a group, you just stay in the back, lobbing grenades. I’ll also switch to the Elixir Gun to buff allies speed, toss in some bleeds, and the always-welcome condition removal/regen from EG-5.

(of course, I can never decide on traits, so they’ve already changed. The skills and weapon are pretty consistent, although I sometimes switch to Rifle in WvW for the range and CC)

Keeping the roads safe — one hylek at a time.

(edited by dlechestnut.3954)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Nyota.7062

Nyota.7062

Rambo Engineer – Crit Rifle Build (sPvP)

A straightforward build designed for hot-join (it is definitely tPvP viable, but depending on your role/comp, there’ll be better alternatives). You will pack a heavy punch, which comes with the cost of a certain squishiness – but you won’t be a glasscannon, since you carry the tools to get you out of dangerous situations. The build is designed around the rifle as main source of damage, for all the engineers, who like the style of the profession, but don’t want to go through the hassle of utilizing several weapons or go full glasscannon. Easy to learn, hard to master.

http://tinyurl.com/ramboengi

Weapon/Sigil
The rifle is the obvious choice for a power/crit build.

Your #1 will hit the squishies for 2k+ crits and be the main source of your damage.

Your low cd 2s immobilize on your #2 will drive melee nuts and allow you to chain skills for devastating combos.

#3 can be a pita to hit, but still is useful for clusters of enemies or burst combos.

#4 is godly for neutralizing/capping nodes (#4->#2), or can be utilized in burst combos (e.g. #4->wrench->#2->#5->#3). Another usage would be to interrupt a stomp or a heal with it or simply blast a melee away from you. Crazy good spell with its fairly low cd.

#5 is awkward to use, but able to deliver a high amount of burst. Don’t use for mobility unless you try to hit an enemy as well.

There are many sigils, that go well with this build. I chose Superior Blood (chance to lifeleech on crit) to add some effective health, but Air (chance to Lightning Strike on crit) or Bloodlust (+10 power/kill) can be utilized as well, if you’re looking for even more boom.

Traits
30 Firearms are a given to grant the rifle improved damage, lowered cds, the ability to blind with rifle attacks (50% on crit on a 10s icd with a 52+% crit rate!) and ofc loads of crit.
10 Alchemy lowers the cd of the two elixiers. Again this is a defensive choice – if you want to up the damage instead, substitute for 10 Firearms with Incendiary Powder(33% chance to burn on crit).
30 Tools not only gives us the crit damage, but also buffs our squishie’s endurance regeneration, adds a little punch to our burst and, most importantly, grants permaswiftness with the Speedy Kits. I cannot bring myself to play without this anymore.

Slot Skills
Med Kit
The med kit grants us a heal on a ridiculously low cd, synergizing well with the static discharge trait, the bandages heal for significant amounts as well, the antidote is one of the only two condition removals of this build and the stim gives us 20% crit with a theoretical 50% uptime (ymmv). It takes some time to utilize the kit to its potential, but I strongly recommend going through the hassle.
I use it to grant myself permaswiftness as well (using #5 to alleviate the effort a little^^) – just switch to the kit and back again, when your swiftness buff runs out. With a little practice you’ll manage to do this even in combat situations (you’ll want to use the med kit in combat all the time anyway.)
Pro Tip: Don’t save your heal. Instead use it to keep your health up at all times when in combat (I rather allow it to overheal a tiny bit than not fill me up) to make use of the low cd.
Tool Kit
The tool kit’s purpose is twofold. The main reason is ofc the toolbelt skill Throw Wrench – it simply hits like a truck, able to hit many targets, is on a low cd and synergizes well with static discharge again. The other reason for bringing the kit is the #4 ability, granting your squishy another ohkitten-button. #3 is decent burst, too, but you’ll usually want to use your other dps abilities instead. #5 is another very situational ability, that you might need for interrupts, when rifle#4 is on cd or out of range.
If you want to build more defensively: switch the tool kit out for Elixir C and you won’t have to worry about conditions anymore! Try both and decide for yourself.

Dolyak Engineer/Thief – Kodash (EU)

(edited by Nyota.7062)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Nyota.7062

Nyota.7062

Elixir S
This is your main ohkitten-button. Use it wisely. The time spent in invulnerability can be used to drop the med kit skills or your elite instead of running like a chicken. Throwing the elixier is mostly used for securing stomps (drinking it works better, but is a waste of the cd imo), but can be utilized defensively or offensively as well. Play around with it a bit.
Elixir R
The ability to rez yourself is just too good to pass by. When you see yourself going down in the next 1-3s, throw it on yourself, interrupt the first stomp and hammer #4 and you got yourself an extra life. Also great for a casual drive-by rezz on allies and one of the only two condition removals of this build (if played with tool kit instead of Elixir C), but I rarely use it for that. The drinking ability comes in handy, when you feel pressure on you – use your two dodges, drink R and have another two at your disposal, so you can LoS and use your heal again.
Supply Crate
Yeah, no real choice here. It just outhines the others. I use it as either an ohkitten-button or to help decide big group battles. You can also use it to pull the npcs on foefire and nifhel, but that’s a cd waste most of the time.

Runes/Amulet/Jewel
I settled on the combination of Divinity Runes with a Berserker’s Amulet with the Berserker’s Jewel. It gives me the stats I am comfortable with (3.1k power, 52% crit, 62% critdmg, 20k hp), but here’s where you can do a lot of tweaking (e.g. knight’s jewel or scholar runes), depending on what direction you want to develop.

Playstyle
There’s generally 3 different modes, you’ll find yourself in when playing this build:
long range
Here is where you’ll feel very comfortable. When left unchecked and at range, you are free to unload your autoattack and wrench and simply melt faces. You should proactively work for this situation and engage and disengage fights accordingly.
bursting in close range
This situation might arise due to the following circumstances – you want to kill a tanky target, you are fighting another strong range, you are fighting vs a condition build or as a reversal after pressure on you. If you try to simply autoattack here, even your 1-2k crits won’t get you far. Instead you should try to go for combos like netshot->rocketjump->blunderbuss->knockback->wrench to kill the other range/condition/tank guy fast.
under pressure
You are very dangerous when left unchecked and people will want to punish you, especially when they find out, that you are low on toughness. So you need ways of dealing with the following pressure. Fortunately, you got all the tools in your bag. Unfortunately, there is no recipe to success here – it takes experience to utilize the right spell at the right time. You’ve got the invulnerability (Elixir S), the self rez (throw Elixir R), 2 extra dodges (Elixir R), a very low cd heal, the medkit bandages and antidote, your elite, your shield (tool kit #4), a knockback (rifle #4), an immobilize (rifle #2) and ofc your 2 regular dodges and LoS at your disposal. Use them all and you’ll have no trouble to survive, even with base toughness.

Overall I can say this is the build I have the most fun playing. It’s much easier to do good on my (venom share) thief, but it’s much more rewarding to do it on my rambo engineer.

PROS
- high sustained damage
- decent burst
- straightforward playstyle
- decent mobility
- high survivability (if played well)
- very rewarding
- very strong vs melee

CONS
- squishy
- weak vs condition (can be changed by switching Elixir C for tool kit)
- weak when outnumbered (as oppsed to e.g. bomb/condition builds)
- high skill cap
- limited support (Elixir R to rez, Elixir S to secure stomps, some interrupts/KBs)
- limited AoE (thrown wrench, piercing rifle)

I’ll try to upload a little bit of gameplay footage later, so you can see the build in action. If there’s any questions/criticism – just shoot.

Dolyak Engineer/Thief – Kodash (EU)

(edited by Nyota.7062)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: SixSins.7610

SixSins.7610

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#MMMzM9MzovlTMMvlaM0xxa0omRVksV

Based on Condition damage/Support: This is the main run build for running around and taking points. The pistol main hand allows me to stack conditions quickly and the shield allows for too many defensive tricks to pass up. I carry the turret for heals on a 16 sec cd and tricks with Combo finishers in the Water combo field. Elixir R is my stunbreaker and the toolbelt saves lives from a range which allows me to keep up DPS. Elixir Gun for larger fights and support, it keeps my Conditions stacked and allows for good healing and condition removal. Rocket Boots allow for a quick getaway, especially with turnabout hotkeyed to facilitate escapes. The toolbelt is a high damage burn on a short cd. It’s melee so it’s a little risky but the Shield, Elixir Gun, and Rocket Boots all allow for a safe exit strategy. Supply Crate is, of course, amazing and when traited into allows you to quickly establish dominance over any point and follow some teammates to quickly mop up.
I’m open to suggestions and looking for help to switch on the fly for point defense. I want to take Net turret but I’m unsure what to drop for it with my setup and I wonder what other changes might be useful. Constructive criticism please! Have a nice day, all!

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Tigger.8035

Tigger.8035

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Dwarfthrower.4217

Dwarfthrower.4217

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcMQFAUlspiYHvShF1LJyoCdGoC5lIFPGl95Bb1WQIA

Pretty good Grenade/Alchemist build, has good burst (Elixir U helps a lot with that) and good support/defense (200 extra vitality, condition removal, and rez field). Rifle for any CC needed. I currently use it for PvE/WvW, and I would love some critique on it.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: ennuira.1594

ennuira.1594

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcAQJAqel0p6ZX3SdF17Ix4DdW0j8r/K/lhcTLA;ToAA1Cto2xsjYH7Oudk7MgYaB

Really tanke build with good aoe dmg. Strong in Group fights and defending points alone until help arrive. Perfect anti melee build. A little bit weak against conditions because of the buggy condition remove from medi kit.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcAQFAUlspiYX3SfF17IyoCdmoHV2jRZfeQfpFEC

Grenadier/Elixir Gun Build.

30 Explosives, for Grenadier and Short Fuse. Explosives 10 trait is your choice.
30 Alchemy for Self-Regulating defense, Fast Acting Elixirs*, Cleaning Formula 409*
*these two skills became partially bugged in the most recent patch.
10 in Tools for speedy kits.

Due to current bugs (see* above), it may be better to go 20/20 alchemy/tools and pick up static discharge and inertial converter. Likewise, the healing skill is dealers choice. Decent arguments can be made for elixir H and med kit.

Gear is also dealers choice. Power/Crit gear will synergize well with rifle and grenades; with elixir gun, alchemy traits, and elixir s providing reasonable survivability (more on that later). Vit,Toughness, or Condition Damage gear will enhance survivability while still providing decent damage by way of conditions from both Elixir Gun and Grenade Kit.

Tactics

Standard grenadier tactics apply for usual WvW, Spvp point scenarios. Grenades are one of the few engineer kits that are undisputedly good, as they are one of the best ranged AoE’s in the game. Likewise, I won’t go into Rifle+Grenade tactics.

I’m going to describe how to use elixir gun in depth because, honestly, there isn’t too much on these forums about how to use it. There’s about 1 or 2 good videos and that’s it.

Tranquilizer Dart
Elixir gun use is what gives you an edge. Elixir gun 1 applies a decent bleed, and weakness. Weakness reduces damage inflicted by target 50% of the time by 50% aka “Glancing blows.” What this means is against most Warriors,Rangers, Thieves, Guardians, Engineers, you reduce their overall damage done by 25% (roughly). This is huge, especially in 1v1’s since you can keep weakness up 100% of the time.

Super Elixir
The next most useful ability is Super Elixer, which gives AoE regen and creates a Light field. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Light_Field

It removes a single condition to you and all nearby allies when initially applied. If no conditions are removed, it applies retribution. More importantly, for each projectile attack that goes through it (the attack itself does not have to hit), it has a 20% chance to remove a condition. This is very nice seeing as Pistol 1, Rifle1, and Elixir gun 1 are projectile finishers. This is very useful (for you and your team) against condition heavy teams or builds, particularly those that rely on mesmers (confusion), necros, rangers, and engineers.

Acid Bomb
The third most useful ability is Acid bomb, which is an excellent mobility skill. It’s Rocket Boots without the self knockdown, without the stunbreak or immobilize break, and with fewer bugs. It’s an excellent mobility skill, plain and simple.
Elixir F
Next most useful is Elixir F. Elixir F is a cripple. Unlike net shot (similar rifle skill, immobilizes instead of cripples) it actually hits much more often, for whatever reason. Moreover, it gives nearby allies and yourself swiftness. Very useful for preventing escapes in both sPvP and WvW as it slows down enemies AND speeds up allies.

Fumigate
Finally, we have fumigate. AoE condition removal for our allies (sweet), and decent damage to boot. Very similar to flamethrower 1, except it actually hits more often than it misses.

(edited by PotatoOverdose.6583)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Weakness reduces damage inflicted by target 50% of the time by 50% aka “Glancing blows.” What this means is against most Warriors,Rangers, Thieves, Guardians, Engineers, you reduce their overall damage done by 25% (roughly). This is huge, especially in 1v1’s since you can keep weakness up 100% of the time.

50% of NON crits. So if you’re against a ranger with a high crit, your weakness really wont do much. Well i guess he’ll do like 12.5% less damage while you do much less than that due to using elixir gun. Its a condition you can counter by both using crit or condition damage..

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

Weakness reduces damage inflicted by target 50% of the time by 50% aka “Glancing blows.” What this means is against most Warriors,Rangers, Thieves, Guardians, Engineers, you reduce their overall damage done by 25% (roughly). This is huge, especially in 1v1’s since you can keep weakness up 100% of the time.

50% of NON crits. So if you’re against a ranger with a high crit, your weakness really wont do much. Well i guess he’ll do like 12.5% less damage while you do much less than that due to using elixir gun. Its a condition you can counter by both using crit or condition damage..

That analysis goes both ways. A ranger with 50% crit (the example you used) will have glass cannon gear/survivability e.g. low vit/toughness. In that case standard rifle+grenade will work quite well (which my build can do). Also, pop elixir s and grenade, than pop elixir s at 25% again and grenade again. Moreover, due to his inherent low survivability gear, the conditions (poison, bleed) become more valuable, not less. Glass cannons are just that, glass cannons.

Speaking from personal experience in spvp,tpvp,and wvw, I find non-burst sustained damage rangers to be MUCH more of a threat than burst 50% crit rangers, at least to my build. You have to remember, elixir gun is an option, it is not your only option. However, the point you raised is a fair one, and something I should have included in my analysis.

And I have a pretty low opinion of most glass cannon builds, you survive their burst and they’re done, plain and simple. Except for double dagger elementalists.

(edited by PotatoOverdose.6583)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: EpicFace.8096

EpicFace.8096

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Chiggerbite.6572

Chiggerbite.6572

I tried to post my build with all the dirty details here… but apparently there’s a limit to how long the post can be… lol. So… I had to post it to a fan site and link to it.

The short version:
This build was primarily developed for WvWvW, but could be used in other scenarios.

Speedy Grenadier/Rifleman

If you have any questions or comments, I’d be more than happy to hear them.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Arvin.3124

Arvin.3124

My point defense survivability build.

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/engineer#10|9|1207|4700|1095|6383|4065|10|1795|0|0|0|0|0|0|30|1013|1012|1884|30|1880|1479|1877|0|0|0|0|0|0|1|28040|28046|49966|49966|49966|49966|49966|26064|21082|0|0|0|0|

Mainly based on having as much condition removal as possible, lots of toughness and healing galore, AoE as well as individual.

I´m real hard to kill with this build. 1v1 almost no class can bring me down.

Killing stuff myself is a bit more of a challenge as my front-end damage is quite low. I am able to wear quite some classes out unless they run a defensive build themselves, like guardians. 1v1 against another defensive class it just ends up with one of the two getting bored and leaving the fight or others joining in to tip the balance.

I got accused of running a troll build btw, which I take as a compliment :P

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

this link is working for me now Arvin, the one in the other post wasn’t.
Looking for different builds, just to earn what has potential aside the more common builds.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Arvin.3124

this link is working for me now Arvin, the one in the other post wasn’t.
Looking for different builds, just to earn what has potential aside the more common builds.

Alternative link to the build:

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.4.6.0.19.0.27.0.33.0.80.96.94.91.102.6.6.12.228.0.0.0.0.0.256.261.266.276.279.282.0.0.0.10.0.30.30.0

Great! And I don´t know if my build is more common or not. I do find it a lot of fun to play in sPvP.

I generally open up storming a node with my elixir gun, using the 5 skill to create an AoE-condition removal field and than running in bombing the node into oblivion all the while healing myself with the regen using kits provide and the bomb heal trait. Of course Big Ole bomb to knock people back and shield for another knock back.

I must say though, for proper Point Defense a different build would probably be more effective as I am lacking in knockbacks a bit. Guardians can drive me off a point for long enough to neutralize it. I have yet to meet anyone able to kill me 1v1 though and I´m able to wear em out or kill them if they run some cheesy glass canon build like lots of thiefs seem to like :P

The insane toughness helps a lot as well of course.

It´s a great team support build too as the condition removal of the elixir gun and its heal is AoE, so is the Healing mist F skill related to it, and all my bombs AoE heal as well. That coupled with throwing out med kits galore and having the supply crate as backup I can keep people around me up for quite long, or get them back up in no time with the Thrown Elixir R.

I almost forgot it is lethal against enemy trebs. Just ignore any defenders and run around the treb spamming bombs and healing yourself. They either have to send in half their team or more to try and kill me or the treb goes down sooner than later :P

(edited by Arvin.3124)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Sounds like a lot of fun to me

By the way: when i use the trait for regen on equipping kits… nothing happens.
I can get the swiftness, the vigor, the spells etc on uing a kit… but the regen isn’t visible when testing.

Is this because i’m full hp when testing, or is this bugged somewhat?

ps. not going to post a build yet myself, even if it’s the purpose of this thread. Still discovering and learning…

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Arvin.3124

Yes, its because you´re full hp

Only starts to tick when you have a kit equipped and are less than full.

I changed my build a bit by the way for sPvP..Instead of 10 in explosives 10 in toolkit for the kit refinement, it is absolutely amazing coupled with the elixir gun.

(edited by Arvin.3124)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Cool, thanks. Was worried because other regenerations did show a tooltip, even when full. And this one didn’t…

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Malleus Maleficarum.2603

Now, i’m only on lvl 31 so this is somewhat of an idealistic build at this point, but the main idea has already been tested, and i love how it plays, which is more like a GW1 mesmer than a GW2 mesmer is lol. The whole goal of this build is to spread large stacks of confusion and constant blind on multiple enemies through bombs, the pistol 3 skill and the tool kit 3 skill and have the enemy kill themselves, just like a GW1 mesmer playstyle.

Heres out a typical encounter plays out
start off with the pistol/shield 2 skill for some starter damage. as you close in, hit 3 for blind and 2 stacks of confusion as you’re running towards them. If its still only one person, bring out your tool kit and hit #3 for 3 more stacks of confusion. now switch over to bomb kit and apply blind and confusion(5 stacks) to the area through #‘s 3 and 4 skills….if it’s one person, they’re almost surely dead by now unless theyre a veteran. For tougher enemies, the shield comes in very handy for interrupting/creating distance, or blocking while waiting out a heal. The best part about using 3 weapon sets is that one of them is always ready to use and off cooldown, allowing more confusion/blocking/blind, or extra damage. If you can get off the 3 confusion causing skills quickly you can get 10 stacks on for a few seconds, which with a lot of condition damage is brutal

I like facing groups more than single persons because the bomb kit’s blind has a huge radius, and as you sit there invulnerable in there you can cause AOE confusion with the 3 skill, and burning and regular ol’ damage with 2 and 1. once smoke bomb runs out just use pistol 3 skill to reapply it…along with more confusion of course! Mine kit is also good for groups/protection events, and minefield is fun.

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.4.6.0.19.0.0.0.0.0.79.97.94.93.102.9.8.20.228.232.236.0.0.0.0.262.0.273.0.0.289.0.0.30.0.20.10.10

for armor, right now im using power and condition (and toughness over vitality) as priorities.

(edited by Malleus Maleficarum.2603)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: mystaquetz.1746

mystaquetz.1746

I can’t figure these message boards out. There is not a “quote” option most of the time. ????

My point defense survivability build.

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/engineer#10|9|1207|4700|1095|6383|4065|10|1795|0|0|0|0|0|0|30|1013|1012|1884|30|1880|1479|1877|0|0|0|0|0|0|1|28040|28046|49966|49966|49966|49966|49966|26064|21082|0|0|0|0|

Mainly based on having as much condition removal as possible, lots of toughness and healing galore, AoE as well as individual.

I´m real hard to kill with this build. 1v1 almost no class can bring me down.

Killing stuff myself is a bit more of a challenge as my front-end damage is quite low. I am able to wear quite some classes out unless they run a defensive build themselves, like guardians. 1v1 against another defensive class it just ends up with one of the two getting bored and leaving the fight or others joining in to tip the balance.

I got accused of running a troll build btw, which I take as a compliment :P

Arvin, where is the condition removal in that build? How are you not being eaten alive by conditions? Forgive my stupidness if I am missing it. TY.

Cell Two
The Assassin’s Clan (TAC)
Ebay

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Arvin, where is the condition removal in that build? How are you not being eaten alive by conditions? Forgive my stupidness if I am missing it. TY.

Things I see in his build:

Toolbelt use of Elixir R removes vconditons

Using #1 of elixir gun after creating the fild with #5 removes conditions too, every shot it takes one of.

At 25% he becomes immune to them completely

Seems pretty solid for conditions, doesn’t always have to be the elixir drinking trait

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: AbduktedTemplar.9453

AbduktedTemplar.9453

Yoda with a Gun
(Must be Asura for the Yoda effect)

My current build has been pretty successful for soloing and dungeons.
My traits are 0/20/20/20/10.

I’m using Infused Precision, Fireforged trigger/ Explosive Descent or Energized Armor, Reinforced Shield/ Invigorating Speed, Deadly Mixture/ Kit Refinement or Speedy Kits.

I’m using a pistol and shield with the healing turret, flamethrower, elixer gun, elixer R and Supply Crate. Wearing Pwr/Prec/Crit armor with mf sigils, mf jewelry and Pwr/Prec/Cond pistol and shield.

My playstyle is a kind of strategic chaos. With the swiftness and vigor uptime I’m very hard to hit, dodging almost constantly (being an Asura I feel like freakin Yoda!) I clear conditions like nobodies business providing consistent regen, debuffs, knockbacks, all while contributing solid condition and direct damage. I’m finding in the higher lvl dungeons I’m a little squishier than I like so I may change up the gear abit. This build is alot of fun if you enjoy constantly hopping in and out of kits and bouncing around like Yoda.

Thoughts?

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Arvin.3124

Sorry for the slow response, like I said before I swapped out the 10 in explosives for 10 in tool trait to get kit expertise.

This way I have several condition removals. The antidote in my medkit, and my elixir gun #5 which autocasts when I switch to it and gives me a free other use of #5.

I also switched out elixir R for elixir C (if Im correct, the one that gives retaliation and stuff) and swapped out one of the weap runes, 10 condition damage on kill. The old build worked fine by the way but I feel this one is even better for me. Way more team support and even more survivability.

Like Kimbald already noted at 25% hp I turn completely immune to conditions and all my heal skits reset. Giving me another antidote as well as all the other heals.

(edited by Arvin.3124)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: The Demonic Spirit.3157

The Demonic Spirit.3157

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQFAUl0paZHxynF17ISoHS49pWiKUZfeIXtFEC

I’m a pure bomber / Grenadier.
I rarely use rifle and harpoon gun.
Just bombs , grenades and mines.
I have tried turrets build , but I found that kits build is better.

All 80es > MM necro is my best ,cleric
guard ,nades eng ,Trap thief \ranger ,signet\shout warrior, zerk mes\ele & shiro rev.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: mifbifgiggle.6713

mifbifgiggle.6713

Mr Flintlock, lvl 80 Engineer
Jade Quarry Crusader
rock the elixirs.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: hatt.8193

hatt.8193

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#ccMzz9mMgoaMMTFRMx9MxackqMRqo

Total spam build. Great for tagging mobs while farming and killing packs solo. Watching people run in WvW is pretty nice too.

30 Explosives – larger explosions, 10% more damage and grenadier.
30 Alchemy – 20% cooldown, 20% duration, all exlirs give might.
10 Tools – just for crit damage

I use+15% boon duration, +20% might duration, +20% might duration runes.

Spamming exlir B, C, toss B, toss C, and Toss H on myself every 30 seconds gives me 100% up time on fury, swiftness and 8-12 stacks of might. Skirmishing with a Warrior spamming “For great justice” and buffing at every cooldown instead of macro my buff, I saw 25 stacks on might just for a second or two.

With just average yellow berserker’s gear and sigil of perception to pre-buff I have over 60% crit rate and 60% crit damage. Each nade will crit for roughly 1100 damage. I’ve seen my grenade barrage hit players for 8k. If people are stupid enough to stand in one spot to attack castles or walls, they get about 12-15k in damage before they know whats going on.

Not very survivable or support friendly. But kitten blows up and you see a ton of big numbers. Big numbers always fun.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: MassRelay.9327

MassRelay.9327

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#ccMzz9mMgoaMMTFRMx9MxackqMRqo

Total spam build. Great for tagging mobs while farming and killing packs solo. Watching people run in WvW is pretty nice too.

30 Explosives – larger explosions, 10% more damage and grenadier.
30 Alchemy – 20% cooldown, 20% duration, all exlirs give might.
10 Tools – just for crit damage

I use+15% boon duration, +20% might duration, +20% might duration runes.

Spamming exlir B, C, toss B, toss C, and Toss H on myself every 30 seconds gives me 100% up time on fury, swiftness and 8-12 stacks of might. Skirmishing with a Warrior spamming “For great justice” and buffing at every cooldown instead of macro my buff, I saw 25 stacks on might just for a second or two.

With just average yellow berserker’s gear and sigil of perception to pre-buff I have over 60% crit rate and 60% crit damage. Each nade will crit for roughly 1100 damage. I’ve seen my grenade barrage hit players for 8k. If people are stupid enough to stand in one spot to attack castles or walls, they get about 12-15k in damage before they know whats going on.

Not very survivable or support friendly. But kitten blows up and you see a ton of big numbers. Big numbers always fun.

I could be wrong, but Forceful Explosives only affects bombs and mines. You have no bombs or mines in your build. Grenades are grenades, not bombs.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: hatt.8193

hatt.8193

oh dang. if that’s true good catch. that means I can add another 5% damage or some dots.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

GankSinatra.2653

stealth bomber engi

Incredibly fun to play, has 4 blast finishers, aoe stealth every 20 seconds, and an amazing amount of fun combinations between abilities. Doesnt use Grenades or Elixirs!
http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#ccMzM9moNlTMM0FRMxG0aacRaoRoo8070m7kIa70z7kNL70c
Its strength is the 20 second cd aoe stealth and sudden aoe dmg that applies burning, confusion, and poison which last a very long time. Along with awesome group support and good resses. Using a shamans amulet with a 125cond/pwr/vit gem.

Smoke bomb > Blow up heal turret > run to target or crowded point with swiftness and stealth > lay down all bombs > pistol 3 > Fumigate > shield 5 > rocket kick > ulti > smoke bomb > shield 4.

-Smoke bomb > blow up turret + rocket boots > never die again.
-Elixir gun cripple > elixir gun 4 > rocket boots > instant kiting.
-Smoke bomb > turret > blow up turret while ressing + big ol’bomb while ressing + shield skill 4 for knockback and stealth res.
-Heal turret toolbelt > shield 4 > aoe heal on your knockback.
-Hearseeker spammer? Shield 5 > rocket kick > smoke bomb > shield 4 > lay bombs > pistol 3 > watch him kill himself by spamming skills > fumigate as he tries to stealth > laugh as his body dissolves.
-Drop big Ol’bomb right before you die, downed 2, downed 3. Triple downed interrupt.

Hp is low but you can easily get around it with your toughness and elixir gun andclever use of blast finishers which gives a lot of breathing space every 20 seconds. No kit refinement because it can proc crap short retaliation when i want stealth tho the on demand-while-cc’d-or-stealthed condition removal is nice. Fun for stomping necros which is a class that gives this build a relatively tough fight. Luckily you can overcharge healing turret and clear all conditions before bombing, along with elixir gun curing all kinds of stuff.

Weak when the short cast times on stealth gets interrupted which is why i took 10 in alch also for the retal for even more aoe dmg. Some of the trait choices have to do with many others being bugged. 10%more speed in combat from 20 inventions also synergises well with the build. Autodefense Bomb Dispenser is actually not bad cause you can get it to proc in the middle of a fight due to starting in stealth, doing repeated aoe blinds and allowing you to immediatly proc stealth with rocket boots.

Using quick fingers you can catch people completely off guard, and your allies will love you for saving their lifes so many many times.

(edited by GankSinatra.2653)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

That’s one interesting build Ganksinatra.

I love the use of the stealth.
Going to practice that and see if I can incorporate some of it in my own testing builds.
I wouldn’t have figured it could be that usefull, but you explain very clear how it can be used to your advantage. Real cool.

By the way: check out Optics latest video for insane burst damage, it’s fun to watch the numbers

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: MassRelay.9327

MassRelay.9327

oh dang. if that’s true good catch. that means I can add another 5% damage or some dots.

Well, there is the bomb when you dodge….lol

What runes are you using? I’m guessing 2x Rune of Monk, 2x Rune of Fire and 2x Rune of Hoelbrak? What about swapping in 2x Rune of Rage for one of the Might ones?

(edited by MassRelay.9327)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#ccMM9cz0mrFRMmraRMxG9MGVoamsoc8070m7kIa70z7kNL70c

Straight rifle build maximizes power.

I’m in full berserker’s with ruby. Sigil is superior accuracy. Runes centaur for group run buff and extra power. I play almost exclusively in wvw.

Quickness from elixir U + 10 stacks of vulnerability and fury simply tear through your target. I’ll set up with a net shot, hit analyze/goggles/elixir U and watch my target melt. I clean up what’s left with a blunderbuss, overcharged, jump shot.

There isn’t much that can survive it if I get the jump. If I don’t I’ll lead with overcharged/net shot and then go through the rotation.

Defensively, I chose slick shoes/double speed, as I think it may be the strongest CCs in the game. I’ve also recently slotted auto-defense bomb dispenser. Otherwise I have enhance performance slotted.

What are people’s thoughts about auto-defense bomb dispenser?

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

GankSinatra.2653

Seeing as you dont have Rocket Boots and use Rifle, i’d say you’re better off with the blind on crit trait. Then again i guess that isnt as good in WvW. I dont play that at all but it looks like bomb dispenser could mitigate a lot of damage in there. Also any ally that shoots through the smoke combo field will get blind effect on their attacks which could help you out as well.
Try slotting Rocket Boots and see how you like to blow yourself away from the zerg while stealthed so noone knows where you went.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

MrSilver.5269

Thank you VERY much for your response, and for your suggestions!

I have tried rocket boots… I love them except for the self-knock down component, which I find clunky, plus I already have overcharged from the rifle, which I use instead. That being said, If the rocket boots propelled you FORWARD and did not have the knockdown component they would be a must have.

My problem is that I’m so addicted to double speed from slick shoes that I don’t think I could live without it. I consider double speed to be a must have for wvw.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

GankSinatra.2653

Rocket boots can also be used if your rifle overcharge puts you in a bad spot. Instead of laying there taking hits, you can immediatly blast yourself away again. I also dont find the self-knockback that much of an issue when used together with stealth. Dont forget it also has half the cd of slick shoes. For your build and WvW i wouldnt hold it against you if using Slick Shoes though.

My problem is that I’m so addicted to double speed from slick shoes that I don’t think I could live without it. I consider double speed to be a must have for wvw.

Lol i know right. This is part of why i dont feel like using slick shoes. Im already addicted to speedy kits!

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

MrSilver.5269

“Lol i know right. This is part of why i dont feel like using slick shoes. Im already addicted to speedy kits!”

I use both (speedy kits + slick shoes) coupled with rune of the centaur, which allows me to stack 1+ minute of swiftness as well as give group swiftness.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Danariel.4675

Danariel.4675

Just made an Engineer last night, been playing around with builds and skills in the Mists…and I can’t find this Stealth skill you guys are talking about. Little help?

Oh, she’s level 6, so I REALLY don’t know what I;m doing at all…

(edited by Danariel.4675)

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

only stealth an engineer can have is from combo fields.

Look those up in the wiki and you’ll see a good list of possibilities, some open to an engineer (some not).

Mostly here it’s a smoke field where you use a blast or leap finisher in, if I’m not mistaken.

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

@Kimbald that’s not true! Trow Elixir S can give you stealth or growth, and we also got the trait Cloacking Device (Not that awesome, but it’s okay)! I use Elixir S all the time, it’s awesome, just wish it all ways would be stealth ://

Post Your Build Thread

in Engineer

Posted by: Danariel.4675

Danariel.4675

Having NO luck getting a combo field stealth to work with a blast finisher. I’ve tried Big Ol’ Bomb, Rocket Boots, and Detonate Healing Turret with no results. I have been able to trigger it with Jump Shot (leap finisher) though. No luck with Smoke Screen from Flame Turret, either.

I’m totally not twitchy enough to be able to do this in battle. The only one I could see being able to do would be the Elixir S.