Power Engineer for PvE

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I decided to pay a little more attention to my Engineer for PvE.
Here’s the build I’m using currently:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlUUpPrlYxmKseNSaBNy7kGQuhV85JEgnC-TBSBABRoEsIlf3o2zFXAAU0Bgg5PAeAAUqKAA-e

What improvements would you make? What’s the meta build for Engineer currently?

I’m not sure what runes to use. I’m thinking Scholar is a safe choice for damage, but since I’m might stacking a lot, maybe Strength runes would also be a good idea now.

I’m not sure how I should be using bombs. I hear the autoattack has good power scaling, so should I be using that while rifle and grenade skills are on cooldown, or autoattack with Rifle instead, which also has a chance to proc Sigil of air and +15% damage mod?

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Rocket Turret. AoE Toolbelt skill, AoE active attack. Kit Refinement will also give you a few seconds to use your Bomb skills because of the CC, using, Blunderbuss, Jumpshot, Grenage Barrage on rotation is also advisable.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Grenix.1576

Grenix.1576

why would you even want to concider putting turrets in a power build?
You dont use the grandmaster trait for it so… yea id just go hgh might stacking elixer power/ though/vital build.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

though/vital build.

not for pve
straight zerk :p

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

You should get Bunker Down or the moddified ammunition, Both are big dps.. Can keep static discharge or speedy kits, they both useful.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Axelwarrior.9084

why would you even want to concider putting turrets in a power build?
You dont use the grandmaster trait for it so… yea id just go hgh might stacking elixer power/ though/vital build.

Im using the Rifle Turret mainly for the toolbelt skill. It’s also very useful for stacking might, since it’s on a short cooldown. As for the healing turret, it’s arguably the best healing skill for dungeon content.
HGH builds are kinda outdated IMO and personal might-stacking isn’t as useful in PvE.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Axelwarrior.9084

You should get Bunker Down or the moddified ammunition, Both are big dps.. Can keep static discharge or speedy kits, they both useful.

So, I should give up grenades for modified ammunition?
I thought that I probably shouldn’t depend on it, since I won’t be running with organized groups that can have high uptime on all conditions.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

This is what I use for Fractals 50 and dungeons!
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqelIqSYX3SiF17IyoCdGoH1FgNife8WtFEC-jwBBYfBkEBgKAMzsIasVOFRjVXDT5iIqGA-e

If the situation calls for it, like if we’re stacking or I’m feeling lazy, I swap EG and Elixir R for Bomb Kit and Elixir S!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

So, I should give up grenades for modified ammunition?
I thought that I probably shouldn’t depend on it, since I won’t be running with organized groups that can have high uptime on all conditions.

You should be using both.

The meta spec is 6/6/0/X/X, you can put the last two points in either Alchemy (for vigor on swiftness application) or Tools (for Static Discharge for a bit of extra DPS).

I haven’t bothered to update this for the new patch but it is still mostly accurate. You should probably swap to Strength runes though, and get a rifle as well for when you need more DPS and less support, but otherwise it’s still mostly relevant.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/82395-guide-to-grenades-in-pve/

You can also use bombs in place of grenades if you want, just swap Grenadier for Explosive Powder. You will deal slightly less damage in total but it’s easy on the fingers and less reliant on condition damage.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Power engineer?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdMQJAqelUUpdrlYxPLseNSaBNq0A6M8i6+5GEgnC-TxhFwADegAAUCaU5HjTEgM1fGt/wF9EBAOAY6AhAUsBA-e

Changes that can be made:
Shrapnel > Forceful Explosives
Short Fuse > Explosive Powder
Fireforged Trigger > Hair Trigger (if using rifle over P/S)
Elixir Gun > Surprise Shot (more utility or more damage?)
Speedy Kits > Static Discharge (QoL or surprise shot?)
Giver weapons > Berserker Weapons
It’s completely up to you which one of these traits/weapons you want to run. Although a few depend on what weapon you’re using, for example if choosing a rifle over pistol/shield then picking up rifle cooldowns is good, or if choosing to replace elixir gun with rifle turret, static discharge is a no brainer.

For runes I highly recommend strength just because of the might stacking a good engineer should do. They also go hand In hand with strength/battle sigils for boosting personal damage.

Bomb auto does more damage, hits more targets and builds vulnerability. Beats rifle auto by a long shot.

My last bit of advice I can give you is to go out and experiment on your own. Get information and advice from other experienced engineers and tweak the build around to cover your weaknesses and to suit your particular playstyle.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

If you’re stacking more than 9 might for your group regularly, or you find yourself below 90% health often, take strength runes.

Move 10 of your points from tools to firearms and take Modified Ammunition. You can switch out Static Discharge for Speedy Kits whenever you need to skip if your team isn’t providing swiftness already. Or if you’re lazy, just leave speedy kits on. Either way, you’ll be at higher damage because of modified ammunition and target the maimed. Switch out that sigil of intelligence to a sigil of the night, and carry an alternative around with you for day dungeons/fractals. Take Explosive Powder over Short Fuse— the shorter cooldowns on shrapnel/freeze grenades aren’t worth taking over the 10% damage boost. You may want to look into getting an ascended rifle, as kits now scale based on weapon rarity.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Actually kits and conjures don’t seem to scale with ascended besides the power stat gain.
Surprise shot is a dps gain but unless you’re maxed on might thumper turret is better. Toolkit for extra block(lupicus for example).

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Actually kits and conjures don’t seem to scale with ascended besides the power stat gain.
Surprise shot is a dps gain but unless you’re maxed on might thumper turret is better. Toolkit for extra block(lupicus for example).

I did a check on this and it does seem to scale even though the tooltip doesn’t update. I didn’t test that extensively though so I may be wrong.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

I did a check on this and it does seem to scale even though the tooltip doesn’t update. I didn’t test that extensively though so I may be wrong.

It would be weird for tooltip to be wrong. The damage on it never is. The cast time is bonkers though.
Having a special formula that takes tooltip damage and then scales with weapons(secretly) instead of just putting it doesn’t sound right to me. It means you have to actually have 2 separate equations. One for tooltip and one for actual damage. Kinda fishy.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: icewyrm.5038

icewyrm.5038

Kit damage tooltips are bugged, see previous thread

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Sounds about right. I was getting about 15% more per hit from an Ascended zerker rifle kit than an exotic Giver’s pistol kit. The numbers add up.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Pistol + shield or rifle doesn’t matter that much. Just don’t use a pistol offhand.

Go for 6/6/0/X/X.

Use grenades, bombs and elixier gun. Elixier gun can be swapped for thumper turret since he got 3 combo finisher allowing you to share 18 stacks might for 30 sec (rune of strength).

Sigil of battle and force.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I tried to get the thumper turret to use its 3 blast finishers, any tips? Seems it doesn’t go off when I want it to and those 9 extra might stacks are super useful.

Power Engineer for PvE

in Engineer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Drop, overcharge, detonate, keep mashing the button to get Rumble as well.