Scrapper - Engi Elite Spec Preview MMORPG.com

in Engineer

Posted by: NewJeff.7365

NewJeff.7365

According to the article showing the 3 Hammer skills, not of them do condie dmg. Which Im fine with but I thought Hammer will have like 1 skill, like the Rifle skill 3, that will drop high base dmg with short duration condie and high intensity condie.

The Rocket Charge sounds like it can do burning dmg, but its just multi leap finishers which I can see u can combo with Thunderclap to do finishers. Also its weird to block attacks with a hammer, kinda a wasted skill slot for me but will see at fri if its usefull.

Sidenote: Really 3 pages of complaining bout the Elite Spec name Scrapper? Useful info for the devs guys

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Much better than Forge imo.
Forge just did not sound right, ‘forgeR’ maybe, but not Forge.
It’s like calling the engineer spec ‘Stove’.

That’s exactly what I thought. Forge as an English word sounds very ‘off’ for a profession’s name, it would be ’ a Forge’ or ‘Forger’. I’m not going crazy for grammar, just as a native speaker it sounds very strange to me.

Threadly reminder that a FORGER is someone who falsifies documents and paperwork and not someone who uses a forge.

And a Forge is a furnace. So neither of those names is really fitting for a profession.

And a tempest is a storm, yet it exists. And is one of the better profession names as well.

Yup, actually scrapper is a bit more odd. Look at what we have, Firearms, Explosions, Alchemy, Inventions, and Tools. These aren’t descriptors for people, they are areas of study. Forge would have made sense in the idea that’s sort of like inventions but a bit more oomph and less techy. I don’t think it would have fit the little drones though.

in Engineer

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I liked the Forge name better. Anybody else agree?

Forge is much better and more fitting for engi.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Engineer

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

According to the article showing the 3 Hammer skills, not of them do condie dmg. Which Im fine with but I thought Hammer will have like 1 skill, like the Rifle skill 3, that will drop high base dmg with short duration condie and high intensity condie.

Given that our close range kits are condi there is a risk of it not synergisnig with the most suitable kits. I had visions of running bombs with hammer but if its not condi based at all…………

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

That’s exactly what I thought. Forge as an English word sounds very ‘off’ for a profession’s name, it would be ’ a Forge’ or ‘Forger’. I’m not going crazy for grammar, just as a native speaker it sounds very strange to me.

Threadly reminder that a FORGER is someone who falsifies documents and paperwork and not someone who uses a forge.

And a Forge is a furnace. So neither of those names is really fitting for a profession.

And a tempest is a storm, yet it exists. And is one of the better profession names as well.

Yup, actually scrapper is a bit more odd. Look at what we have, Firearms, Explosions, Alchemy, Inventions, and Tools. These aren’t descriptors for people, they are areas of study. Forge would have made sense in the idea that’s sort of like inventions but a bit more oomph and less techy. I don’t think it would have fit the little drones though.

The Elite Specializations are more along the lines of titles rather than field of knowledge. But yeah, Forge really only made sense when we didn’t know anything other than the fact that they had hammers. With the electric theme, the title doesn’t suit it at all.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

So I’m not native english and “scrapper” sounds like somone who tries to scrap a bit iron together and hopes to be able to build something with it :< Or what does “scrapper” mean? I mean “forge” was so epic, like “his mind is a forge for good ideas” and the scrapper is like the stupid brother of the forge :<

It refers to a mechanical/electrical intellectual, who can create devices out of what others would perceive, as very limited parts, salvaged from other objects.

There are multiple meanings to the title Scrapper.

The obvious one being “one who scraps things” so like a dismantler or who uses scraps for things such as a tinkerer who also specializes in dismantling things as well as building things.

The other definition is a fighter or competitor. Because “to scrap” also means to fight. In the late City of Heroes mmo, one of the base hero archetypes was the Scrapper who takes that definition completely and had powers that revolved around melee damage and survival. Think of the word “scrappy” in this term which relates to one who angers quickly and prone to engaging in fights or arguments.

There are also special forces in the military who go by the title of scrapper. I belive the deal with engineering and explosives.

in Engineer

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Maybe Anet have been spending too much time on Urban Dictionary, given that it’s an Asura shown too..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scrapper

Someone who looks small but is really wired and can kick some major kitten even though he doesn’t look like it.
“They started pickin on that guy over there and the little scrapper took ’em all. "

Thats just a reference to Scrappy Doo.

in Engineer

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

Well that’s lovely n all but I wasn’t suggesting to use that, I was just giving an example of how the word with a prefix or suffix sounds more correct to an English ear.

in Engineer

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

The name fits well…

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scrapper
Scrapper = a person who removes or does away with scraps
or
Scrapper = a fighter or aggressive competitor, especially one always ready or eager for a fight, argument, or contest

Scrapper = Someone who looks small but is really wired and can kick some major “butt” even though he doesn’t look like it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scrapper ::
Scrapper = fighter, quarreler; also : a fierce competitor

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

in Engineer

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The name fits well…

or
Scrapper = a fighter or aggressive competitor, especially one always ready or eager for a fight, argument, or contest

Scrapper = Someone who looks small but is really wired and can kick some major “butt” even though he doesn’t look like it.

The name fits poorly…
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scrapper_
Scrapper = Troublemaker and loser.

I know that the name’s going to stay, but would charr really use it? I don’t think so. Still, it’s hardly the first time something’s not been a good fit for charr. (Armor joke, you can laugh at it.)

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

(edited by Palador.2170)

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

The name fits well…

or

The name fits poorly…
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scrapper_
Scrapper = Troublemaker and loser.

I know that the name’s going to stay, but would charr really use it? I don’t think so. Still, it’s hardly the first time something’s not been a good fit for charr. (Armor joke, you can laugh at it.)

I don’t expect people to read an entire thread before they reply, so check out what I posted a page or two back:

Someone on Reddit has something real interesting to say about it from a lore perspective. Words can change meaning over time, it happens all the time in real life so why not in Tyria.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3l6kw0/and_the_french_translation_of_scrapper_is/

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Palador.2170

I don’t expect people to read an entire thread before they reply, so check out what I posted a page or two back:

Someone on Reddit has something real interesting to say about it from a lore perspective. Words can change meaning over time, it happens all the time in real life so why not in Tyria.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3l6kw0/and_the_french_translation_of_scrapper_is/

I’ve read your post, and I simply don’t agree with it. Yes, it could happen, but over a longer period of time and with good reason. Even if we give the game the benefit of the doubt and give it real-time passage, three years isn’t enough time for the term’s meaning to change that much. Especially when most charr have not seen anything of the new kind of Scrapper to change their minds.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the name Scrapper. It’s a great name, and it really works for the elite. It says something about them using the hammer to get up close and personal, while still fitting the engineering theme. But the term’s already used for something entirely different, and it makes no lore sense to reuse it like this.

in Engineer

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

Technophile would have been glorious

yep, having sex with Scarlet’s Steam Creatures sounds totally glorious.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

Reeaaally hope we get a whirl finisher…would help so much with the fire and lightn. Fields and cleanses and would synergise perfectly with a lot of builds…just give us an aoe hammer swirl…

By the way do i see right that there are TWO new hammer skins in the pics?

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

By the way do i see right that there are TWO new hammer skins in the pics?

There are 2 different skins, but one of them is old… I believe it’s one of the WvW skins that you can buy for badges.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

What is wrong with the name? I like it maybe you newer generations never heard the term as fighting but many people used to say you want to scrap? Also scrapper is a melee class in city of heroes and a spec melee type in star wars the old republic online for the smuggler.

(edited by Ryou.2398)

in Engineer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Scrapper > Forge

It also fits with all the debris and ship wreckage in Maguuma. Remains of the Pact Fleet to be scavanged and scrapped.

Fits the theme and is 100x times better than Dragonhunter.

scrapper2
[skrap-er]
noun, Informal.
a fighter or aggressive competitor, especially one always ready or eager for a fight, argument, or contest:

(edited by Killyox.3950)

in Engineer

Nemesis.6938

U sure about the skins cause i cant find either of them in the gallery

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

U sure about the skins cause i cant find either of them in the gallery

the one with the flat head is a charr cultural t3 hammer, you can buy it with karma, the other two are not in game

in Engineer

Nemesis.6938

I know the charr, was talking about the other 2….so we do get 2 new engu themed hammer skins…cool…wven 3 if u count the makeshift which also fits

in Engineer

Nemesis.6938

okay the traits look AMAZING
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-scrapper-engineers-elite-specialization/

about the gyros – not sure

when does the livestream on friday usually start? i think 9pm cest right?

(edited by Nemesis.6938)

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-scrapper-engineers-elite-specialization/

noon pst
idk cest conversion

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

In your opinion maybe. Not in mine.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Engineer

Nemesis.6938

thats 10pm…pfff what is this crazy nonsense?? im past 30, im in bed by then in the middle of the night

in Engineer

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

HOLY mother I am LOVING the traits!

in Engineer

Nemesis.6938

me too…and that means…nerf incoming

in Engineer

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

Minor traits is meh, very PvP orientated. The other traits sound intriguing though. Mass momentum could synergize well with Juggernaut (FT builds), allowing FT engies to stack might very rapidly.

Not convinced with gryos though, their abilities are terribly uninteresting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

I don’t know how to feel about the new traits. Some of them seem to be useless in PvE, especially the minor traits. Reviving an ally is pretty rare if your team knows what they are doing and stomping? Close to 0 stomping in PvE. And I really hoped to get some protection and aegis, but we got nothing like that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Itchen.8754

Itchen.8754

Sneak Gyro

Deploy a sneak gyro to provide stealth to nearby allies.

The scrapper’s elite utility provides a pulsing cloak field around it veiling you and your allies from enemies. The gyro itself remains visible.

Tool Belt Skill—Detection Pulse: Remove stealth from enemies in a large area.

On a short recharge, this toolbelt skill helps ensure that you are the one getting the drop on foes and not vice versa.

Please tell me I am not the only one that is just massively let down to have this as an “elite”

in Engineer

Nemesis.6938

I don’t know how to feel about the new traits. Some of them seem to be useless in PvE, especially the minor traits. Reviving an ally is pretty rare if your team knows what they are doing and stomping? Close to 0 stomping in PvE. And I really hoped to get some protection and aegis, but we got nothing like that.

true, but its kinda hard to make traits that are all both useful to pve and pvp…and within raids these things might become more important…

i agree tough, there are some classes and elites that have GREAT minors, and some whos minors are just very situational…would be great to have more balanced minors…looking that maybe 1 is more pvp 1 is more pvp and 1 is balanced or something…

besides that, yeah, gyros sound super uninteresting so far…shame

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

Sneak Gyro

The scrapper’s elite utility provides a pulsing cloak field around it veiling you and your allies from enemies. The gyro itself remains visible.

On a short recharge, this toolbelt skill helps ensure that you are the one getting the drop on foes and not vice versa.

Please tell me I am not the only one that is just massively let down to have this as an “elite”

Seems like Anet is trying to make them anti-stealth-squad. First Utility Goggles, then a trait to reveal and now AoE reveal for elite. And yes, it seems kinda weak, because the gyroscope is still visible.

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

Another question: it seems like gyroscope will be AI, but they don’t have an overcharge skill? Can this be a thing? I hope Anet remembers the past, some AI in game used to don’t have overcharge skills. But they added them FOR EVERY SINGLE ONE later. Pls Anet, don’t repeat old mistakes. Let gyroscopes have an overcharge.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Another question: it seems like gyroscope will be AI, but they don’t have an overcharge skill? Can this be a thing? I hope Anet remembers the past, some AI in game used to don’t have overcharge skills. But they added them FOR EVERY SINGLE ONE later. Pls Anet, don’t repeat old mistakes. Let gyroscopes have an overcharge.

It honestly sounds like the toolbelt skill is similar to the overcharge effect of turrets, while it sounds like these can also be detonated. They may have just swapped the detonate and overcharge spots so that the utility skill detonates after they’re cast…hard to say, but check out the quote below from the article:

Each gyro model has a limited amount of fuel before it detonates or is destroyed in a hail of dazing sparks. If traited, they’ll explode in a larger area while stunning foes.

It’s a little vague and maybe they’re only talking about when they’re destroyed by someone else, but I’d be surprised if that’s the case.

Also, speaking of AI stuff, I just wanna say that I’m impressed at how driven these seem to be by active use of skills rather than just making these passive pets. I think that addresses a lot of my concerns that this would just be the turret afk build 2.0 and instead this may be a specialization that requires more active multi-tasking, which could be quite the opposite of low-skill minion/turret builds.

in Engineer

Palador.2170

Sneak Gyro

I think this is going to see a LOT of use in PvE, especially in dungeons.

Remember, pets don’t cause aggro, and there’s no sign that this thing will have an attack to create aggro with. So you pop this, everyone stays close, and the whole party can walk right past something in stealth. It might even last long enough to allow you to claim skill points, open chests, and harvest nodes without setting off anything guarding the area.

[Edit] Having had a night to sleep on it, I’m less concerned by the name. It’s hardly the first time a word has had more than one meaning.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Remember, pets don’t cause aggro, and there’s no sign that this thing will have an attack to create aggro with. So you pop this, everyone stays close, and the whole party can walk right past something in stealth. It might even last long enough to allow you to claim skill points, open chests, and harvest nodes without setting off anything guarding the area.

We already have all stealth for dungs we need.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Palador.2170

I think there may be an “ease of use” factor here that will make this more popular. Also, if this thing has a decent lifespan (fuel supply), then it may be able to keep an entire party stealthed for a fairly long time, with a moving stealth field. Of what we already have, what best compares to that?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I think there may be an “ease of use” factor here that will make this more popular. Also, if this thing has a decent lifespan (fuel supply), then it may be able to keep an entire party stealthed for a fairly long time, with a moving stealth field. Of what we already have, what best compares to that?

Thats true. All now depends on how that fuel will works.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Nemesis.6938

i just really hope they make gyros usefull and improve on turrets again

otherwise we just have 2 “turret” lines that are useless in pve and pvp and that nobody uses… if you cant fix it otherwise, make at least one line great for pve and the other great for pvp… right now they all just sound meeh – and they are an engis trademark…

im really sick of having all that variety and in the end everybody play either burning ft condi or grenades anyway…

what irritates me a bit is that nothing really seems to fit together

lightning?

gyros with the whole scrapper theme?

very defensive traitline to make you more tanky – but instead of group protection or aegis its group superspeed?

the whole elite is just really not coherent to me…i think they should sharpen the focus better as with most of the other elites

(edited by Nemesis.6938)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

The concept seems fun but to me it sounds as a WvW oriented spec ! Stomp/revive drone plus frontline weapon, hammer 4 and 5 and elite gyros (and its toolbelt) will all see a large use in the mists.
If the elite gyro doesn’t draw mobs attention it can be useful for skips in PvE, along with hammer being seemingly a power weapon.
For sPvP there are also good things like mobility from hammer3 and condi resistance though trait and gyro.

But on the paper it will really shine in WvW.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i just really hope they make gyros usefull and improve on turrets again

otherwise we just have 2 “turret” lines that are useless in pve and pvp and that nobody uses… if you cant fix it otherwise, make at least one line great for pve and the other great for pvp… right now they all just sound meeh – and they are an engis trademark…

im really sick of having all that variety and in the end everybody play either burning ft condi or grenades anyway…

what irritates me a bit is that nothing really seems to fit together

lightning?

gyros with the whole scrapper theme?

very defensive traitline to make you more tanky – but instead of group protection or aegis its group superspeed?

the whole elite is just really not coherent to me…i think they should sharpen the focus better as with most of the other elites

personally i cant wait for the next bwe cuz scrapper seems very coherent to me.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

What bugs me is I can’t help but feel that while it seems cool for PVP it seems like that’s 100% it’s focus. I don’t know but I’m a bit apprehensive towards it right now, curious how it’ll work out. Sounds like you’re locked out of toolbelt skills, so what about other utilities? will they be useable just without the toolbelt skill? The gyros sound decent but just not really all that practical for regular PVE use. Wish I liked PVP more in this game but I’ll save the rant… I hate it. So I’m just a bit worried that we’re getting a new toy that simply has no use for me /shrug.

in Engineer

Dahkeus.8243

What bugs me is I can’t help but feel that while it seems cool for PVP it seems like that’s 100% it’s focus. I don’t know but I’m a bit apprehensive towards it right now, curious how it’ll work out. Sounds like you’re locked out of toolbelt skills, so what about other utilities? will they be useable just without the toolbelt skill? The gyros sound decent but just not really all that practical for regular PVE use. Wish I liked PVP more in this game but I’ll save the rant… I hate it. So I’m just a bit worried that we’re getting a new toy that simply has no use for me /shrug.

So, 1 skill isn’t 100% useful to you (stomp likely not used, but rez is still useful in PvE) because you only like 1 of the 3 game modes in GW2…

To say that you’re being short-sighted may be an understatement.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

I am hoping that the Scrapper gets the developer attention/communication that the other specs have been having.

That would be awesome if so.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

So, 1 skill isn’t 100% useful to you (stomp likely not used, but rez is still useful in PvE) because you only like 1 of the 3 game modes in GW2…

Friendly reminder that abilities get nerfed and changed in all game modes because of how people feel in a single game mode.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

First, lets not be silly and call all of PVE one title while we decide to split PVP up based on WvW and sPVP. Even with that zerging in WvW and Roaming are very different, roaming closer to sPVP but with more junk.

It isn’t just the stomp/rez. It’s also the purge bot, in PVE my condi cleansing is more than suitable already, then a poison field is ehh. Stealth bot is actually pretty nice, but the reveal doesn’t even work on NPCs that stealth >.<

But that’s not it, then we have traits. Again one focused on reviving/finishing, something that currently just doesn’t help much in PVE. Stun duration increase is pretty useless as well. So really nothing from Minors. We get to the bigger traits and I see 2 that seem interesting out of 9, (mass momentum and perfectly weighted) the rest are pretty much surely more PVP oriented.

It simply feels like they’re doing what they’ve often been doing lately an completely ignoring the beautiful PVE design they have in this game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

Sneak Gyro

What if the recharge was 20 sec how would you feel then?

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

You should probably look up the meaning of technophile

in Engineer

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

You should probably look up the meaning of technophile

I know the meaning of necrophilia and pedophilia, so it is not far fetched to put technophilia into the same category. But to let you sleep well tonight, it was meant as a joke but of course someone had to play the srsbsns-card.

in Engineer

Dahkeus.8243

Friendly reminder that abilities get nerfed and changed in all game modes because of how people feel in a single game mode.

Yup, and irrelevant as that may be to the point I made, those balance changes are not always based on PvP either.

in Engineer

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

noon pst
idk cest conversion

Noon PST/ 2 CST / 3 EST

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]