Trouble with Ground Targeting, Grenades

in Engineer

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

Hey I have an issue with grenades and ground targeting (also with rifle’s jumpshot skill or elixir tosses). If i have an enemy targeted, and their lifebar is in front of them, the mouse’s position is ignored and the skill will cast at my feet. So if I’m working a skill chain with grenades, I have to toss them without an enemy targeted to get consistent results. If their status bar pops up at the top of the screen from using an auto-target skill, I can’t use that screen real estate at all in aiming grenades, elixir tosses or other ground target skills (maybe because there’s a mouseover dialog for their conditions and boons). Just a little frustrating when I’m in the heat of battle. If it’s not a bug, can anyone offer a little advice that might help?

(edited by johnsonade.9547)

in Engineer

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

Practice Practice Practice , and for the life of you please dont turn of Auto Ground Targetting or w/e its called in options..

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

in Engineer

johnsonade.9547

Oh so I should keep the green/red targeting rings? I turned them off since they felt like training wheels and I turned the fast-cast option on that casts on my mouse position so I could just click the skill once to throw a grenade. I’ll mess with those option and see if I can get more consistent use out of the ground targeting skills. Thanks for the response and I’ll keep practicing!

in Engineer

Posted by: Cures.7451

Cures.7451

its down to personal taste id say. there are those of us (including me) that couldnt live without the target ring. and others turned it of on day 1. imo its easier to aim with the ring, but one click more in an all out click fest.

in Engineer

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

its down to personal taste id say. there are those of us (including me) that couldnt live without the target ring. and others turned it of on day 1. imo its easier to aim with the ring, but one click more in an all out click fest.

Fair comment, i have seen both used well…personally i throw all over the place without the targeting rings.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ariete.6509

Ariete.6509

So… nobody using combat mod?

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

So… nobody using combat mod?

I tried it for a static discharge build, so I could “target” mobs and invaders with my heal turret skills, and it was OK.

It is had to go back to a locked camera once you have been using free camera and tossing grenades as you run.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in Engineer

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

Oh it should also be said, you wont hit much from long range, unless the target is static because the grenades are so slow you have to predict quite far ahead. You can hit people running in a straight line too with a decent success rate.

They also tend to be very difficult to use up close…in fact the only time they are really accurate is at a medium range :P

in Engineer

johnsonade.9547

Thanks for your advice friends. I’m glad that arenanet is adding new content so swiftly, but they have a ton of bugs to fix on basic kits and skills across the board, not just with engineers. And to Conan thanks, I try to use nets via rifle 2 and net turret chains, maybe even supply crate to keep them stationary for grenade saturation. I’ll try cripple traits to assist in that. Slow chains compared with FT kit and Pistol/Shield but sooo funnnn. Really thinking Rifle is the best to use with grenade kit but I feel like i’m playing “without a net” so to speak. Not as many safe interrupts but very powerful.