Why are there so Few Sheild Wielding Engis?

in Engineer

Posted by: Harvest.2506

Harvest.2506

In this Video I’ll be fighting against a Grenades condi Engi and and Riffle Bunker Engi. Why are there so few Engis that use sheilds? Am i missing Something? I’m using Rune of the Gaurdian to burn people as I block and a Sentienal Amulet, Is there really a bigger advantage with celest riffle or pure condi?

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Offense is much higher on p/p and rifle. offhand pistol has a lot of condi stuff for those builds, rifle has immob/knockback/burst. Shield can be nice for stuff, I have seen plenty, it’s just not as popular as the bit more offensive builds… I see a lot of turret engi’s using shield being more defensive letting their turrets do a lot of the work.

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

I really enjoy watching people mashing their buttons with no judgement at all.
Great video!
Oh as for shield it’s used a lot for condi builds. It’s better than offhand pistol because it defends you! But blowtorch is so strong dps some people go yolo mode to get them deeps going.

in Engineer

Posted by: gartz.7013

gartz.7013

ive learned to start using it again for awhile now…but i am perplex garbage who needs to L2p yada yada yada. also i use it because the amount of pew pews now a days is just staggering! how could not use shield

solo cheese engi/ex teef

in Engineer

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Before I played Engi, I spent a lot of time on guard. The engineer’s shield is what I wish guard’s was more like and thus it is my staple on my engi. I run a cele 2kit with pistol/shield and it is very strong!

in Engineer

Posted by: Aro.8275

Aro.8275

When compared to faster recharge and cc on rifle having the ability to decap a point is more important.

The shield reflect/bounce/blast is good but main hand pistol isn’t too great, if engies got a different main hand could see more using it. Sure when going full bunker the condi’s can help just nowhere near as good as a condi build.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

What’s your role as a settler Engi! Not sturdy enough to stand on point! Not enough damage to… deal damage! Doesn’t seem like a very effective PvP build!

Anyways shield stopped being a thing because Engis stopped running Grenade Kit/Bomb Kit/stunbreak in favor of Grenade Kit/Tool Kit/stunbreak! Losing Bomb Kit is losing a lot of burn uptime that needed to be remedied through offhand pistol! Burning is how a condi Engi deals damage! With the introduction of Balthazar Runes, shield is kinda ok with the Grenade/Tool Kit/stunbreak loadout because of the long Incendiary Powder burn time but it’s super defensive and not something that I’m personally a fan of!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

The shield has nice skills, but it’s defensive orientation is not ideal for a lot of situations. In general, it’s not really going to help you kill things faster, and the CC it provides is not quite as potent as that of the rifle.

The only builds I really run with shield these days are a healing build and a perplexity build, though I only really use those in WvW. In particular, the latter doesn’t use the tool kit, so the shield can really help out when I need to block incoming attacks.

I have seen some turret build using shield so they can maximize their defence, but I prefer using rifle on my turret build since it provides better CC.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

I looove my shield. With two abilities i get a reflect, push back, blast finisher, block, and mid-range stun. The mobile reflect is so much fun against warrior/ ranger/ rifle engi. It’s just that…

As already mentioned shield’s main setback is mh pistol. Which really is only bad because the auto attack is very underwhelming. With that being said, it (shield) has amazing synergy with bomb kit.

The other other reason why they are so rare is because rifle is just so kitten good. Like really kitten good. I prefer playing p/s balth bomber but rifle/ cele set up is simply better

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Can’t really compare pistol/shield to rifle! One is for power builds and the other is for condi!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

Actually you can… You can run the exact same trait set ups as far as point allocation goes. Along with what utilities you use. When fighting an engi you will be playing more against what kit’s/ utility (cc with wep thus comparing p/s to rifle) as apposed to how they damage you.

This is why Cele synergizes so well with the class.

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Engineer

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Mainhand pistol sucks. I choose pistol/shield for shield. Pistol i’m just stuck with…

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

in my opinion, for playing with pistol mh and shield or pistolf offhand, rabid is much better than celestial. Your primary source of damage is condition and with rabid you have a great improve .

in Engineer

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I use a shield in WvW, and sometimes in PvP when I feel like using a condi build there (or on ranger days, hehehe). I almost feel like shield is required when roaming in WvW because it’s perfect for knocking a thief out of their shadow refuge.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

in Engineer

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

To me, I prefer a pistol/shield than a rifle in WvW simply because I am terrible at controlling the battle due to my latency. I can just sacrifice that for some additional conditions I can inflict onto my foes.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I love the shield. I find the reflect invaluable against that pesky LB rangers and scepter Mesmer. That and I got 4 Ghastly Grinning Shields in the first Halloween event, and it is fun seeing it on my character as I reflect that projectiles at those players who think they are going to do a massive rapid fire from 1500 range, only to find the “quit hitting yourself” aspect take into effect.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I love the shield. I find the reflect invaluable against that pesky LB rangers and scepter Mesmer. That and I got 4 Ghastly Grinning Shields in the first Halloween event, and it is fun seeing it on my character as I reflect that projectiles at those players who think they are going to do a massive rapid fire from 1500 range, only to find the “quit hitting yourself” aspect take into effect.

Killing a ranger with their own RF gives one of the most satisfying feelings in this game. It’s right up there with killing turret engi’s.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

In PvP it’s :“YOLO!!!” while WvW it’s :“ZERG CHASE ME!!!” the struggle for loot is real.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Pistol/Shield used to be all the rage for a long while when the Engineer finally showed up on the majority of the playerbase’s radar. I appreciate the major condition pressure from a P/P at that moment, shield only served me rarely, and the blowtorch is really underrated.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

p/s is nice for nades based condi. I play rabid 2kit with nightmare runes and p/s rocks. I tend to use nades as the main weapon and just use p/s for utility and more condis. offhand pistol is cool, but the utility from the shield is too good imo. nades, pistol, and tookiy are more than enough to take anyone down.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Engineer

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I don’t use shield because it looks silly on my engineer.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I use shields because they look great on the engineer.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I use shields because they look great on the engineer.

You’re in the wrong thread. Might want to try “Why do people use Shield engi?” thread and explain to OP why you like shield.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I rarely see Engis using P/P and when I do they’re terrible. It adds moderately more damage, any condi build worth its salt will have perma burning and Blowtorch doesn’t land all the time anyways. Glue Shot is nice but not nearly worth the two shield skills IMO.

“Pound for pound” the Engi shield is the best weapon in the game IMO. The utility you get from the two skills is incredible.

I guess I can’t answer the OP. I would have to say something snarky like “you’re looking in the wrong places” or something mean, but I won’t!

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

(edited by Adamantium.3682)