Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Khenzo.2465

Khenzo.2465

So, hobo sacks are gone, thanks!

Medkit, cool!

Orbital strike, cool!

Grenade kit, cool!

Bomb kit, what the actual kitten? It looks awful, absolutely 0 effort into redoing it’s visuals, the animations of dropping bombs looks absolutely stupid and really wrong, so thanks?

Mortar kit, thanks for reworking it, making it actually useable! But the way it looks? Looks like a level 5 rifle skin or what ever.

Seriously, I’m thankful for the reworks you have done, but please, if you are going to FINALLY rework our kits after over 2 years of people asking for it can you at least make sure you put 100% effort into it?

My enthusiasm for the kits went from an all time high to a reallly sunken low as soon as I seen the bomb kit and mortar kit aestheitcs.

._ .

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Yea pls Anet at least little effort here thx.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: fauXnetiX.6459

fauXnetiX.6459

Wish the engis stowed their weapons/shields instead of them just disappearing when using a kit.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

Let’s list some of the things that happened, hm?

Medkit: High cast times. At least the shiny syringe effect stays for a while even after you picked it up sometimes. The skill shot element makes it useless.

Bomb kit: The animations are completely broken. I can literally not tell what is happening when I use it, and the animation makes it impossible to judge how far your skill cast is. It is actually wrongly timed! But hey, at least I can now be the master of telekinesis! I honestly thought I was locked in via some bug when using it several times before I realized the timing is completely off and does not work.

Mortar: Horrible visual is all I’ll say. It’s actually a piece of crap. It looks WORSE than the level 1 rifle. I -like- the level 1 rifle. This? are you kittening serious, Anet? In the times of Pale Reaver snipers and magitech, we get a wooden piece of crap? Some broken pot? With an inappropriate sound to boot? The flash shell’s visual does not work either. It’s -broken-.

Grenade kit: Legendary effect on Grenade Barrage is gone on untraited grenades.

Streamlined kits? The grenade kit mine does what it wants. Sometimes it stays five seconds, sometimes it stays 10, sometimes it explodes instantly. Grenades looking horrible has been discussed too.

And on a side note: They completely broke the wings too.

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Khenzo.2465

I actually can’t tell if this is sarcastic or not so forgive me.

But if they are going to make such massive change to our classes aesthetics like this, it would have been nice if they did it 100% spot on, and not go stupidly lazy on mortar/bombs when they made such a nice change on the others.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

I actually can’t tell if this is sarcastic or not so forgive me.

But if they are going to make such massive change to our classes aesthetics like this, it would have been nice if they did it 100% spot on, and not go stupidly lazy on mortar/bombs when they made such a nice change on the others.

I can guarantee you he was quite serious. Bomb kit animations being so broken you legitimately cannot time them properly anymore and the mortar being probably the worst skin that has ever happened to gw2 is kind of… you know.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

These are probably placeholders released too early because they’re trying to make up some goodwill by removing hobosacks as soon as they could.

Or, well. Let’s hope. I guess.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

Well, at least you’re optimistic.

Also, kinda very disappointed that a DOUBLE orbital strike hits for less than a single grenade barrage with 6 nades.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Not…really optimistic. They’ll probably tune some of the animations, but it took three friggin’ years to get this, why would I actually expect anything different?

Also, I actually like Orbital Strike. And its double – they might not do as much damage, but they have a huge AoE, and they’re blast finishers.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

If you thought that the Bomb Kit was broken… Try the underwater bomb kit.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

I too am hoping that some of these are place holders to get the patch out with better art coming the future.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Khenzo.2465

They just HAVE to be placeholders. There can’t be any other reason for how bad they are.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

placeholder

For the next three years?

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

Holy crap, calm down guys. These visuals are obviously placeholders. They got the mechanics of the new mortar kit down and slapped a placeholder skin on it so we could play with it along with our new kits.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Khenzo.2465

Oh and one more thing!

Why still no legendary footfalls + aura whilst using a kit. Is this actually hard to do? Or is this something else they just slacked hardcore on despite it being really wanted.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

bomb kit on max size charr looks so stupid

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

If the new mortar is a placeholder why is it the ugliest placeholder ever?

If they would have used literally a simple metal tube it would look 1000 times better. Ye know, like the original mortar looked?

Or just pick from the infinite number of amazing looking rifles. Super hyperbeam alpha anybody?

Edit: Grenades are ugly too but that has already been stated over and over. They look like a bunch of coconuts tied together that dangle in an awkward way while you move. Meanwhile med kit gets fancy glowy syringes.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

First thought on seeing bomb kit:

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Khenzo.2465

Oh, it also seems they put more effort into the new Quaggan tonic animations than our bomb kit.

#justengithings

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

I’m willing to be patient on this. I’d rather have weird place holders that get replaced than permanent ones. Feel free to also continue this conversation in this thread that I have combined all the cosmetic concerns I’ve found.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Not-to-get-cosmetically-greedy/

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

eh yea.. sorry to say but they do look like crap..especially the bomb kit (and especially on charr)…i mean wtf went wrong there in the design department. Also the mortar looks like a lvl 5 rifle. Med kit looks very good, the nades.. eh.. what else you gonna do there anyways? Imo they work..well id take other options too but yea they are the least of my visual nightmare fuel atm lol.

On a slightly different note.. the mortar is a beast and i LOVE that kit, i went with it for a test run earlier in EotM to just see what i can do with it…and i ask myself how the hell did i ever play wvw without this kit? 10\10

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Inexor.7804

Inexor.7804

I like the look of the mortar kit, looks like a huge kitten shotgun on my Asura.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Mortar kit, thanks for reworking it, making it actually useable! But the way it looks? Looks like a level 5 rifle skin or what ever.

I like it! Looks like an old grenade launcher:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8e/de/31/8ede318d8fc8ea8ffe16f6ee7747450e.jpg

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

I like the look of the mortar kit, looks like a huge kitten shotgun on my Asura.

Maybe you should look at it up close then. It looks literally worse than the first darksteel rifle, and i doesn’t even thematically fit an Asura, nor a Charr. The mortar actually looks lore wise -outdated- for GW2’s magitech and Pact standard.

And the bomb kit animations actually made the kit unplayable to me for a while, so not sure what I’ll make of -that-. I literally get locked into broken animations, get stuck, and cannot tell when anything drops or procs. The animations and the cast times are 100% different. Would like some clarification if this is a bug. Definitely wasn’t like this in the guild halls trailer.

And Zorby, it’s a mortar. Not a pre-blunderbuss attempt at a bad grenade launcher that never worked. And even then, Tyria’s technology is far past it. Look at the kitten flamethrower. It’s beautiful since launch. But THIS? Heck, even that thing you linked is prettier than the model we received.

(edited by Sold Out.7625)

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

choovanski.5462

bomb kit would be fine if the bomb stayed the same size and did not become the size of a small car when you play charr.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I imagined a mortar like Horrik has one and not this crappy piece of wood! Also the bomb kit, WHAT THE ACTUAL!?

Sometimes I ask me if they even HAVE an art designer in the company … I’m fine with everything else, FT, EG, nades, they are all great, really! But noooooo … JUST NOOOOOOOOO MY GOOOOD T_T

So much wasted potential, ANet what the actual, YOU EVEN DREW IT YOURSELF!!!

You could even have used the birthday blaster…(

Attachments:

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

(edited by Xyonon.3987)

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

Honestly, I kind of like the look of mortar kit, am I a terrible person?

It looks to me like the old grenade launchers from the Vietnam war.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

Yes, because it once again works with no armor or other look, really. It’s also a huge step backwards for Tyria. They started out with simple charr and steam tech. Then came the Pact with big and blue and shiny things. Then they improved that. Magitech came to its rise. Scarlet happened!

Then they went back to a completely broken tube that looks like it’s older than the first rifle skin in the game.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Mortar Kit is okay. A little underwhelming compared to the other kits, but okay nontheless.

What bothers me, is that Bomb Kit looks so… uergh… I really liked the old animation better, since it actually looked like you throw bombs onto the ground.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Torrent.7380

Torrent.7380

i think it should look like you’re holding a small cannon aimed upwards. It’s a mortar after all. Those new shiney gold trimmed lion’s arch cannons would be a good design que.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

After checking them out, I must say, yes, the LA cannons would be a wonderful model base for a mortar that looks up to date, heavy, strong, and does not interfere with any armor colors.

The real issue though is the bomb kit. Those broken animations need to be fixed. ASAP. It’s unplayable.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Khenzo.2465

This is bugging me so much that I have actually sent a private PM to two devs with a link to this thread and a brief explanation.

But yeh still no response is a little sad, because it takes literally one sentance to confirm or not if they are placeholder.

But the thing with the bombs is, even if they fix the broken animations, the way you hold the bomb like a bundle quite often found in PvE really irratates me, you do the whole strange woddle run animation, really not a fan of it myself at all.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

This is bugging me so much that I have actually sent a private PM to two devs with a link to this thread and a brief explanation.

And I was sent a PM, too. About this and several other game changes. After the build was just a few hours old.

Please, forum members, don’t flood ArenaNet team members’ PM boxes with individual requests, feedback, or reports. Please post, with details, as you have done. Please use the in-game system to submit a report. And then please allow time for bug reports, suggestions, and feedback to be reviewed, discussed, and decided upon.

Noting “no response” in less than 24 hours simply is not giving our team sufficient time to read, review, analyze, perhaps consult with others, and then reach a conclusion about an individual report or request. If you recall the huge number of changes that were made yesterday, I feel sure that you’ll agree that allowing time for this request to be noted is entirely fair and appropriate. After all, no one wants to be “that guy or gal” who says “I want it, and I want it naaaaaoooow!”

Thanks for understanding that the team will need time to review your feedback. And that’s for your patience in giving them the latitude to make the best decision in each case.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

You could even have used the birthday blaster…(

No. They can’t use the Birthday Blaster because the Birthday Blaster is a recolor of the Scarlet’s Kiss rifle and that would confuse people. They’d think you’re wielding a rifle but you’re actually in Mortar.

It would also cheapen the really cool look of Scarlet’s Kiss.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Khenzo.2465

And I was sent a PM, too. About this and several other game changes. After the build was just a few hours old.

Please, forum members, don’t flood ArenaNet team members’ PM boxes with individual requests, feedback, or reports. Please post, with details, as you have done. Please use the in-game system to submit a report. And then please allow time for bug reports, suggestions, and feedback to be reviewed, discussed, and decided upon.

Noting “no response” in less than 24 hours simply is not giving our team sufficient time to read, review, analyze, perhaps consult with others, and then reach a conclusion about an individual report or request. If you recall the huge number of changes that were made yesterday, I feel sure that you’ll agree that allowing time for this request to be noted is entirely fair and appropriate. After all, no one wants to be “that guy or gal” who says “I want it, and I want it naaaaaoooow!”

Thanks for understanding that the team will need time to review your feedback. And that’s for your patience in giving them the latitude to make the best decision in each case.

I’m sorry for being so brash about it but It truely is disapointing. But it literally takes 15 seconds to type “They are placeholders don’t worry” for example. And what is there to even review truthfully? The animations are literally broken with low quality textures.

I get there is issues that require far more attention right now, but why is it always so difficult to get a very simple 1 sentence confirmation on something.

Cough the Lupi AA still bugged issue for example cough

And sorry if this sounds directed at you becasue it’s not.

(edited by Khenzo.2465)

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Slapinator.4196

Slapinator.4196

Giving visual upgrades to flamethrower and elixir gun as well would be cool as well, im just saying.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: DoomBunny.2903

DoomBunny.2903

On the topic of placeholders, does anyone remember what happened to this thing?:

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/89067/Aetherblade_Rifle_1.jpg

There was speculation that it was the new mortar, but I haven’t seen it since. Is this from the actual game, or is it just a fake? It looks perfect for the mortar kit, but it doesn’t match the charr-aesthetics of the rest of the kits, so I’m a bit suspicious.

To throw in a bit of a conspiracy theory to the mix, that skin looks remarkable similar to the cannon engineers used in Torchlight 2. Throw in the fact that we’re getting the other T2 engineer weapon (hammers) in the expansion, the preview had what looked like drones (T2 engineer skill),and the fact that the GW2 engineer absolutely loves to pull stuff from other games, and it starts to look a bit plausible.

Anyway, if the mortar is staying as a rifle model with new animations, I think the easiest fix would be to just use the charrzooka. It’s big enough to differentiate itself from the regular rifle, and it’s already a rifle skin, so it doesn’t require a whole new set of animations. (I assume. I’m not a programmer). Plus, it looks just like the old mortar, but with a stock and fin/blade/sight/upside-down bayonet thingy.

Charrzooka:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Charrzooka_(weapon).jpg

Old mortar (It used the same model as Pact mortars, right?)
!http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Pact_Mortar.jpg!

(edited by DoomBunny.2903)

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Sorry. All the effort went into gemshop weapons.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I would’ve liked the elixir gun to get a reskin. It’s just a piece of wood with tape on it currently.

I can see why people don’t really like the mortar, but I don’t think they had a model that was a “portable canon” aside from that thing Hronk uses. So we got the “budget model”.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Old mortar (It used the same model as Pact mortars, right?)
!http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Pact_Mortar.jpg!

This isn’t the skin which was used for our old mortar.

It looked like this: http://ttsgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/mortar.jpg

Do you see what they did there? They used the old skin of the mortar to create the new mortar kit. I really loved how the mortar was looking and I’m glad its design got a revival in the new mortar kit. And it makes perfect sense too! We are engineers who came to the conclusion that the stationary mortar wasn’t really useful in combat. So we used its parts to tinker the new mobile mortar kit! That’s just how engineers would handle this situation.

But I’m really sad about the design of the bomb kit, I hope we can get some redisgn at this in the future. There was a suggestion to make it more looking like the kit icon, that would be ok, or maybe make it look like the bomb (it is a bomb, isn’t it?) in the picture for the new inventions spec.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

What really bugs me is the animation of the bomb kit. You have no idea what you are doing and how far you are with your casts anymore. It’s disturbing and it looks ridiculous…

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

What really bugs me is the animation of the bomb kit. You have no idea what you are doing and how far you are with your casts anymore. It’s disturbing and it looks ridiculous…

have you tried it on Charr? It looks…

Simply…

Scandelous

Attachments:

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

choovanski.5462

have you tried it on Charr? It looks…

Simply…

Scandelous

I’ve actually been living inside of the bomb my charr carries. it’s very roomy.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

I am a charr T_T …

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

I am a charr T_T …

Pick up bombs with me… friend.

Attachments:

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Requesting old bomb kit animation back.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Requesting old bomb kit animation back.

+1

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Eh doesn’t matter anymore cuz mortar was borderline viable now it’s garbage.

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Khenzo.2465

Even if they sort out the animations on bombkit, the skin of the kit will still look pretty crappy.

The mortar I could live with, but the weird woddle run animation whilst holding this silly looking oversized bomb looks pretty stupid

Why the half effort?

in Engineer

Posted by: nSan.4251

nSan.4251

There’s only one thing the new mortar weapon and sounds reminds me of…

https://youtu.be/han3AfjH210