Zane's Fourth WvW Roaming Video - HD

in Engineer

Posted by: Shanks R Us.2489

Shanks R Us.2489

Hey guys. Haven’t played much since school started, but I decided to pump out another video since it’s been a while since my last. The original one was over 22 min, so I’m not too upset about it being 16. One of the songs on it wasn’t actually the one I wanted, didn’t realize it until after it was uploaded, but oh well. Hope you guys like it, let me know what you think. Build is still basically the same as it was during the third video.

I’ve had requests for the build, so I’ll repost it here. Someone copy/pasted it earlier, a few posts down, but I’ve changed minor things & will edit them in here.

The Build

Traits
10/10/20/30/0

Explosives: V – Incendiary Powder
-A big chunk of my damage comes from this. It pairs up beautifully with blowtorch at the start of a fight, throwing on a nice 14 seconds of burn.
Firearms: VI – Hair Trigger
-Because this build lacks nades/bombs/FT, my main source if damage is the P/P combo. The 20% faster recharge is invaluable and allows me to re-apply conditions quicker than most classes.
Inventions: VI – Cloaking Device – VIII – Power Shoes
-I have to admit, I was never a fan of this tree line when I did PvP. The traits didn’t seem all that useful to me, but I forced myself to take it so I could have some extra toughness. The more I played WvW, though, the more I fell in love. The Cloaking Device is excellent for getting away from zergs, stopping spikes, and sneaking up on someone mid-fight. I chose Power Shoes because I found myself running away from zergs very often. I really like this trait, engineer’s don’t have many gap closers and this really does help you get around the field during fights.
Alchemy: II – Fast-Acting Elixirs – X – Cleaning Formula 409 – XI – HGH
The bread & butter of the build, your basic HGH alchemy lineup. Not much to explain here, when you run HGH, you don’t get a lot of wiggle room in this tree unless you want to greatly sacrifice your potential.

Gear

Armor
I run full carrion, except for the leggings, which are rampager. Having rampager legs gives you an extra 4% crit chance, which helps to get off your incendiary powder.
Edit: Dire armor would also work, now, even better, perhaps.
Runes
2x Major Rune of Water
2x Superior Rune of Water
2x Superior Rune of Fire
Edit: Superior Runes of the Traveler to replace the major water, or monks, if you like PvE.
Weapons
Pistol #1: Carrion with Superior Sigil of Battle
Pistol #2: Rabid with Superior Sigil of Corruption
Edit: I’m lazy, and almost never use corruption anymore. I prefer using sigil of fire.
Trinkets
Full rabid trinkets, rampager’s amulet.
Buffs
Koi Cakes or Rare Veggie Pizzas for 40% condition duration.
Quality tuning crystals (or the step above if you really want to waste money)
Utilities
Elixir H – Chosen for use with HGH. Protection is great.
Elixir B – Again, chosen for use with HGH, and is your main source of swiftness.
Elixir S – I personally save this almost exclusively to stomp, but it occasionally lets you get out of some sticky situations. Will completely mitigate someone’s spike if you time it correctly.
Toolkit – I love this utility. It gives you access to some great skills, which are:
2: Box of Nails – Comparable to thieve’s caltrops, but on a 10s recharge. Great for kiting.
3: Pry Bar – Not only does the initial hit do some big damage, but if you run this build, you will find a large chunk of your damage comes from confusion. If paired with the pistol’s Static Shot, you can throw on 7 stacks of confusion, which at times does over 1,500 damage per skill use.
4: Gear Shield – Excellent skill for WvW. 3 second block lets you run through zergs, mitigate spikes, and keep people at bay.
5: Magnet – My personal favorite, especially in WvW. It’s a great skill to open up fights with, but I use it all the time to catch fleeing foes. Can’t count the number of times I’ve killed people just feet away from their keep door thanks to this.
Supply Crate – An extremely powerful elite, it has the potential to completely turn fights around. Not only does it drop turrets to immobilize & burn your foes, it also comes with medpacks that you can pick up for a few extra thousand health. Best of all, the initial drop comes with a 2 second stun, which makes it excellent for spiking.

Zane The Clever – Asuran Engineer
Roaming Video 3Roaming Video 41v7 in WvW with engineer

(edited by Shanks R Us.2489)

in Engineer

Shanks R Us.2489

Bump for non-current meta glory. No perplexity in this vid.

in Engineer

Posted by: nate.8916

nate.8916

Would be helpful for the people who watch only the video when you link the build in the description. :-)

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Since when is perplexity the meta?

I, too, would be interested in your specific build, if you wouldn’t mind sharing. I imagine it’s pretty similar to the one I already run, but I always like to compare.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sepahbod.4653

Sepahbod.4653

And since when is HGH not? :P

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

Dropped my perplexity, and my god, it’s so much more enjoyable playing now.

Nice video, Zane. KIU.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: Sherlock.2035

Sherlock.2035

From his earlier post…

The Build
Traits
10/10/20/30/0
Explosives: V – Incendiary Powder
-A big chunk of my damage comes from this. It pairs up beautifully with blowtorch at the start of a fight, throwing on a nice 14 seconds of burn.
Firearms: VI – Hair Trigger
-Because this build lacks nades/bombs/FT, my main source if damage is the P/P combo. The 20% faster recharge is invaluable and allows me to re-apply conditions quicker than most classes.
Inventions: VI – Cloaking Device – VII – Power Shoes
-I have to admit, I was never a fan of this tree line when I did PvP. The traits didn’t seem all that useful to me, but I forced myself to take it so I could have some extra toughness. The more I played WvW, though, the more I fell in love. The Cloaking Device is excellent for getting away from zergs, stopping spikes, and sneaking up on someone mid-fight. I chose Power Shoes because I found myself running away from zergs very often. I really like this trait, engineer’s don’t have many gap closers and this really does help you get around the field during fights.
Alchemy: II – Fast-Acting Elixirs – X – Cleaning Formula 409 – XI – HGH
The bread & butter of the build, your basic HGH alchemy lineup. Not much to explain here, when you run HGH, you don’t get a lot of wiggle room in this tree unless you want to greatly sacrifice your potential.
Gear
Armor
I run full carrion, except for the leggings, which are rampager. Having rampager legs gives you an extra 4% crit chance, which helps to get off your incendiary powder.
Runes
2x Major Rune of Water
2x Superior Rune of Water
2x Superior Rune of Fire
Weapons
Pistol #1: Carrion with Superior Sigil of Battle
Pistol #2: Rabid with Superior Sigil of Corruption
Trinkets
Full rabid trinkets, rampager’s amulet.
Buffs
Koi Cakes or Rare Veggie Pizzas for 40% condition duration.
Quality tuning crystals (or the step above if you really want to waste money)
Utilities
Elixir H – Chosen for use with HGH. Protection is great.
Elixir B – Again, chosen for use with HGH, and is your main source of swiftness.
Elixir S – I personally save this almost exclusively to stomp, but it occasionally lets you get out of some sticky situations. Will completely mitigate someone’s spike if you time it correctly.
Toolkit – I love this utility. It gives you access to some great skills, which are:
2: Box of Nails – Comparable to thieve’s caltrops, but on a 10s recharge. Great for kiting.
3: Pry Bar – Not only does the initial hit do some big damage, but if you run this build, you will find a large chunk of your damage comes from confusion. If paired with the pistol’s Static Shot, you can throw on 7 stacks of confusion, which at times does over 1,500 damage per skill use.
4: Gear Shield – Excellent skill for WvW. 3 second block lets you run through zergs, mitigate spikes, and keep people at bay.
5: Magnet – My personal favorite, especially in WvW. It’s a great skill to open up fights with, but I use it all the time to catch fleeing foes. Can’t count the number of times I’ve killed people just feet away from their keep door thanks to this.
Supply Crate – An extremely powerful elite, it has the potential to completely turn fights around. Not only does it drop turrets to immobilize & burn your foes, it also comes with medpacks that you can pick up for a few extra thousand health. Best of all, the initial drop comes with a 2 second stun, which makes it excellent for spiking.

in Engineer

Shanks R Us.2489

It just seems to me that many engineers run it, mainly due to it being stupidly OP.

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you liked it. Also thanks for the copy/paste of build.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Nice vid, I run a similar setup but with piercing pistols instead of the 25% move speed (those last 10 points are personal pref)

Why not swap out the major waters for superior traveler (in case you don’t want to do dungeons) or monk (if you’re broke but willing to do dungeons) for more boon duration?

If you’re both broke and hate dungeons sorry for bringing it up lol

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Engineer

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Really nice video, interesting to watch.

I have to say though its bordering on sad how many people still get pulled by the engis pull. Could it really be that hard to dodge with so much warning?

But regardless, really nice play Makes me want an engi xD

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Engineer

Shanks R Us.2489

Nice vid, I run a similar setup but with piercing pistols instead of the 25% move speed (those last 10 points are personal pref)

Why not swap out the major waters for superior traveler (in case you don’t want to do dungeons) or monk (if you’re broke but willing to do dungeons) for more boon duration?

If you’re both broke and hate dungeons sorry for bringing it up lol

I like the extra toughness, especially for WvW.

I made this build before the rune updates. I was running minor water because the only other option was monk, and yeah, I hate PvE.

Really nice video, interesting to watch.

I have to say though its bordering on sad how many people still get pulled by the engis pull. Could it really be that hard to dodge with so much warning?

But regardless, really nice play Makes me want an engi xD

Yeah, magnet is pretty obvious. Many times, though, I’ll time it and use it after they blow their dodges.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

You can also use magnet to blow their dodges without putting magnet on full cooldown as well if you cancel it before it goes off with ~

It’s also a good way to test if they will dodge magnet (many people in WvW don’t seem to know what it is or how to time the dodge properly). At worst I probably just gave myself 3 more might through sigil of battle.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Engineer

Shanks R Us.2489

You can also use magnet to blow their dodges without putting magnet on full cooldown as well if you cancel it before it goes off with ~

It’s also a good way to test if they will dodge magnet (many people in WvW don’t seem to know what it is or how to time the dodge properly). At worst I probably just gave myself 3 more might through sigil of battle.

Yep, that’s also a good point. It’s such a long cast time, it’s a breeze to cancel. Also works to save your CD in case they just popped stability.

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

Are you the asura engineer with the achievement point sshoulders I all ways see?

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Shanks R Us.2489

Are you the asura engineer with the achievement point sshoulders I all ways see?

Nope

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

Nope

Ahhh nice look btw, had 3 random duels with ya a few days ago and then noticed in your sig you were with gh and thought you might be the same guy

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Good video, good work, but holy kitten some of the people you’re playing against are beyond bad. They’ve transcended bad. They’re kittening abysmal.

Like that first clip. What was that, PvE babby day in the jumping puzzle? Random usage of skills, no dodges, prehistoric builds… wat

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

It just seems to me that many engineers run it, mainly due to it being stupidly OP.

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you liked it. Also thanks for the copy/paste of build.

I’m actually going to try the perplexity out with a build my guild leader wants me to try for ZvZ. I’m thinking it’ll be lame, but they’re providing me the runes, so yeah.

Your build is very similar to the p/p I use, although I generally put more into firearms, taking coated bullets and modified ammunition if I go the full 30. The 15 in inventions is really nice though since you get the healing skill recharge.

I think most people would usually take protective shield instead of power shoes though, especially since you have decent access to swiftness. If a zerg really wants to catch this kind of build, they will. The extra protection can really help you nullify a burst from someone too, like backstab thieves. It just doesn’t have the micro-mobility to leap away from anything. But I guess it would really help you move around during any swiftness downtime.

Have you looked at the runes of the noble? They would work quite well with an HGH build. I’ve always used runes of altruism since I’m mostly doing group stuff and they help with fury uptime, but the noble runes would be a pretty solid choice if you’re willing to give up a bit of boon duration.

in Engineer

Shanks R Us.2489

Nope

Ahhh nice look btw, had 3 random duels with ya a few days ago and then noticed in your sig you were with gh and thought you might be the same guy

Thanks. It’s been pretty much exactly the same for a long time, I have multiple armor sets and they’re all about the same, lol.

Good video, good work, but holy kitten some of the people you’re playing against are beyond bad. They’ve transcended bad. They’re kittening abysmal.

Like that first clip. What was that, PvE babby day in the jumping puzzle? Random usage of skills, no dodges, prehistoric builds… wat

Ha, yeah, can’t say everyone in the video is all pro. The guys in the first clip weren’t that great, I wouldn’t of added it in if it were only 1 or 2 of them. But it was 3 on 1, and I didn’t get a jump on them or used any NPC’s, so I threw it in for luls.

I’m actually going to try the perplexity out with a build my guild leader wants me to try for ZvZ. I’m thinking it’ll be lame, but they’re providing me the runes, so yeah.

Your build is very similar to the p/p I use, although I generally put more into firearms, taking coated bullets and modified ammunition if I go the full 30. The 15 in inventions is really nice though since you get the healing skill recharge.

I think most people would usually take protective shield instead of power shoes though, especially since you have decent access to swiftness. If a zerg really wants to catch this kind of build, they will. The extra protection can really help you nullify a burst from someone too, like backstab thieves. It just doesn’t have the micro-mobility to leap away from anything. But I guess it would really help you move around during any swiftness downtime.

Have you looked at the runes of the noble? They would work quite well with an HGH build. I’ve always used runes of altruism since I’m mostly doing group stuff and they help with fury uptime, but the noble runes would be a pretty solid choice if you’re willing to give up a bit of boon duration.

I’m not too sure how well perplex would work in a team fight situation. I guess you could just play it like GW1, and focus their healers. It’d be a little harder in GW2 though, since there’s so many different specs classes can play.

I do like the health skill RC, it’s saved my kitten countless times.

Yeah, I’m sure most people will go with the protection over speedy shoes. Either works, really. I don’t have a problem not bringing protection when I’m running elixir H, and I love being able to run ahead of fleeing targets (to box of nails).

I’ve looked at the noble runes, and they seem neat. Honestly though, I’ve never had a problem maintaining & stacking might, so I never seriously considered them. I haven’t been playing much (again, school & work kick my kitten ) but a week or two ago I bought some new gear for this build.

Full dire armor set
1 dire pistol
Rune of the traveler x2 (to replace major water, I now have 60% Boon dur.)

So I’ve got 2x Traveler, 2x Water, 2x Fire. This gives me 60% all boons + an extra 20% might duration. With sigil of battle & all the elixirs, I get to 20-25 stacks in almost every fight, without trying. Hell, most of the time even when I’m soloing a camp I’ll look down and say “oh wow look at that, 25 stacks, neat.”