ANET, Shields must be concrete. Rework Idea.

in Guardian

Posted by: Renshu.5329

Renshu.5329

For Guardians I have always believed the Shield is the more iconistic and ideal weapon for them, and yet, the current variation of shield makes it easily the worst weapon, with the worst weapon skill set in the game regarding the number of practical uses. I pray with the microcosm that ANET will at the very least consider reworking shields on Guardians let alone consider my ideas. So here goes;

4 – Light of the Radiant

• This ability is now a type of radial blind with a decent radius that works as a blast finisher. This would use the shield 4’s old base damage. This would be the intervene type of skill, with a sword in hand you can blink in, and blind foes, or in zerg groups for PVE use it to activate fire fields, the usage would be the same in sPVP.

5 – Vindicator’s Resolve

• Upon activation you gain a non-removable buff in the name of the skill(similar to shield of wrath). You will gain stacks of this buff for the next 3 stacks based on the number of attacks you block from channeling this skill, including aegis buffs, but not from Shelter. After 3 seconds a secondary effect triggers, this has no animation. If you choose to reactivate the skill you trigger a secondary effect with an animation, it will be explained next.
  • The first-part of this ability is a 1.5 second block(half-the duration of all other existing blocks in the game) that absorbs instances of damage, with a maximum charge of 10(You may block infinite instances, but the effect only works up to 10). AFTER 3 TOTAL SECONDS, the next effect will register.
  • When the time runs out, the more instances you’ve blocked the larger the symbol you drop, which provides a Protection buff, and a light field of 3.5 seconds. This heals for 860(0.20) Immediately, and allies who were standing in the light-symbol as it appeared receives the Guardian’s Virtue of Resolve passive effect for 4 seconds.

The theory behind this skill is that you use this before using your 4 ability, allowing your nearby allies to benefit from retaliation from your blasted light field.

5 – Second Activation – Justicar’s Fury

• If you choose to reactivate the ability before the charge ends, the Guardian blasts all targets in front of the shield backwards, increasing the duration they are knocked down by 0.1 second per (2) charges absorbed. They are also struck with Virtue of Justice’s Active Effect, regardless of whether or not it is on CD. Allies caught in the blast wave gain swiftness. The base swiftness gain will be 6 seconds, 10 stacks would effectively double it’s duration to 12. The shockwave itself does not deal damage. This will use Guardian Shield animation 4.

What do we know about the current shield?

It has an AOE protection buff that is lackluster. The skill itself deals damage, however you must choose between shielding allies or damaging foes, more than often you don’t get both. It has a projectile shield that is ultimately useless in every-way due to it’s duration and CD, and is used 99% of the time for a knockback / heal.

So what did I do in my variation?

For one, I put an ACTUAL block skill into the rotation, so “Defender’s Flame” trait has even more usage outside of using Shelter. Secondly, Honorable shield will now be a more desirable trait for more reliable CC outside of the hammer’s 10-year long wind-up on banish. Allowing bunker shield builds to actually be a bit more viable in sPVP in conjunction of a hammer.

Moving On-
I reworked 4 into a damage tool that provides an AOE blind on a small radius and a blast finisher. This VS the idea of the current shield 4 makes it so that you don’t enter a fight, turn around to apply protection on your allies and have a CD wasted. Guardians often are in the heart of the fight, so this is another way of protecting your allies. By mitigating a strike through blind, and in a light/water field you provide a blast finisher providing retaliation / healing to allies. You can enter a fight with a GS, finish your rotation, drop Symbol of Wrath, swap to Sword&Board and Blast the area for AOE retaliation.

I reworked 5 in a fashion that has actual usage VS it’s old variation. You have a block, that turns into a protection symbol that doubles as a light-field and a minor heal, you also have the option of using your charges into a form of AOE knockback/ micro-stun that grants a swiftness buff, and ignites your enemies.

But most importantly, the shield 5 skill, TIES INTO the CLASS ABILITIES of the Guardian. Something I wish ANET did a bit more with Guardians in general was if Guardian class abilities tied into their kits more.

I hope you guys enjoyed my idea of the shield. All feedback is welcome, both good and bad!

in Guardian

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

/sign

Make this kitten happen ANET.

in Guardian

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

I prefer the current abilities to those ones.

in Guardian

Posted by: xFireize.6318

xFireize.6318

Focus without the offensive part?

Bloo Foefire [RAM]
Yak’s Bend
Why bother being a Guardian if you don’t guard anyone?

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

I had this thought in the shower the other day: What if we switched focus and shield #5s?

Shield #5: Gives a shield which blocks 4 attacks. If the shield is not broken after 3 seconds, it explodes, healing yourself and nearby allies for 1700(0.9). Blast finisher.
Add a 1/2 second daze to shield #4.

Focus #5: (it would now look or feel pretty similar to the miracle’ Wrath of the Gods’ from Dark souls) create a bubble (radius is close to that of a symbol’s) that absorbs incoming projectiles, pushes back, and damages foes for 3 seconds. Detonate the bubble earlier to give yourself and nearby allies retaliation. (not a blast finisher either way).

This would maintain focus as an offensive weapon, while actually allowing shield to BLOCK ATTACKS like it should. I’m all about having unique weapon skills for a weapon based on what class is using it, but as it is right now, shield seems way too un-shield like.

in Guardian

Renshu.5329

I had this thought in the shower the other day: What if we switched focus and shield #5s?

Shield #5: Gives a shield which blocks 4 attacks. If the shield is not broken after 3 seconds, it explodes, healing yourself and nearby allies for 1700(0.9). Blast finisher.
Add a 1/2 second daze to shield #4.

Focus #5: (it would now look or feel pretty similar to the miracle’ Wrath of the Gods’ from Dark souls) create a bubble (radius is close to that of a symbol’s) that absorbs incoming projectiles, pushes back, and damages foes for 3 seconds. Detonate the bubble earlier to give yourself and nearby allies retaliation. (not a blast finisher either way).

This would maintain focus as an offensive weapon, while actually allowing shield to BLOCK ATTACKS like it should. I’m all about having unique weapon skills for a weapon based on what class is using it, but as it is right now, shield seems way too un-shield like.

Well the biggest issue with shield is that it currently blocks nothing.

To add insult to injury, the “4 Second” duration on the dome effect lasts about 1.5 seconds.

Thematically the shield I can understand when they try to tie it in with the Guardian theme, but the issue is that there’s no consistency within it.

The biggest thing I want to refrain from is taking what the Focus has and just slapping it on the shield. I’m doing this to protect those who enjoy the focus and who’ve farmed their legendary to decorate their love of the focus on guardians.

I can understand how that would make sense on a shield, but having a shield and not having a true block channel is kinda silly to me.

in Guardian

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Shield of judgment: add in daze 2sec.

Shield of absorption: while channeling heal allies in area.

• part 2: shield of deflection: stop healing and retaliate projectile attacks with burning bolts. Can move. Adds 3sec duration and 5sec to CD.

in Guardian

Posted by: creepmatic.9435

creepmatic.9435

Shield of judgment: add in daze 2sec.

Shield of absorption: while channeling heal allies in area.

• part 2: shield of deflection: stop healing and retaliate projectile attacks with burning bolts. Can move. Adds 3sec duration and 5sec to CD.

Daze should be added to the mace 3, blind on shield 4 makes the most sense, plus it will have synergy with Blinding Exposure.

in Guardian

Posted by: Geneaux.9547

Geneaux.9547

Not sure about changes but I am 100% behind any rework or overhaul for guardian shields.

“Man this jungle in the expansion better look so good it gives me flashbacks to Nam.”
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Knights of Ares [ARES]

in Guardian

Posted by: Achrisos.1360

Achrisos.1360

With the announcement of new conditions like Taunt iv been hoping that Guardian existing skills either on Mace or Shield be reworked to include these. A perfect scenario would be to make the bubble #5 act as an aoe taunt when active then aoe slow when detonated. Also the #4 would function a lot better if the protection effect was 600 aoe range instead of allies in front considering Guards r frontline and often allies r behind u.

Side note adding taunt to mace #2 symbol based on pulse and a slow to mace #3 counterattack would make for some great mace/shield tank builds!

in Guardian

Posted by: Jortakk.6792

Jortakk.6792

There was a suggestion in the ready up specialization episode where shield abilities would give aegis. The developers thought it was a great idea.

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

I’m sitting on a Flameseeker Prophecies for my Mesmer. Hopefully I can make use of it on my Guardian too.

More control on the shield would be warranted with either a taunt or a slow.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

There was a suggestion in the ready up specialization episode where shield abilities would give aegis. The developers thought it was a great idea.

I absolutely want the Shield skills to grant Aegis, either through trait or baseline. Shield being mainly AOE support, I think it would be perfect for the Guardian class.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Pitman.9210

Pitman.9210

Don’t forget that shield 5 is used in the res trait. Changing it would ruin the trait

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Don’t forget that shield 5 is used in the res trait. Changing it would ruin the trait

Honestly, the biggest problem with shield 5 is just the fact that it’s channeled. Take that away, and it’s a pretty solid ability.

Shield 4, though, definitely should be scrapped and remade, hopefully with some sort of actual BLOCK included.

in Guardian

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

I might be one of like 5 people who agree with but I personally think shield is fine the way it is now, i wouldn’t say no to damage buff on the #4 though =).

in Guardian

Posted by: Phoenix Hunter.5674

Phoenix Hunter.5674

I actually really like this idea. It always seemed weird to me that I had to use focus on my blocking build rather than shield. Doing this would give shield to hybrid offense/defense skills (though perhaps one could give aegis instead of protection to avoid too much redundancy) which are flexible to the situation. Meanwhile the focus gets a skill that helps it maintained ranged combat by pushing away enemy melees or absorbing a ranged enemy’s projectiles. I don’t think that it would need to do damage inside the bubble though, since you’ll be pushing enemies out of the bubble anyway.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

I don’t expect them to rework any of the terrible weapon skills.

Have another miniature instead.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

in Guardian

Posted by: Achrisos.1360

Achrisos.1360

I don’t expect them to rework any of the terrible weapon skills.

Have another miniature instead.

I feel like they CANT add new conditions like Taunt or Slow and not rework existing skills to include some of these. If only the Rev and NEW weap skills receive that would be really bad of the game.

It would be nice if ANet could confirm that they have gone back to include these in existing skills.

in Guardian

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

Add a short duration (5 seconds) aegis to shield skill #4 (Shield of Judgment). This makes a ‘Shatter Aegis’ build more viable in conjunction with Shattered Aegis, Communal Defenses, Pure of Heart, Unscathed Contender and Wrathful Spirit.

in Guardian

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I’d like something like this:

Shield of Judgment

• Heal up to 5 allies and grant them Fury
  • Cripple up to 5 foes.

Great synergy with e.g. AH and offers an OH with soft CC which Guardians lack.

Shield of Absorption

• Scrap #5.2
  • Cast a dome of light which grants nearby allies Aegis and Blinds/Knock backs nearby foes.
  • Dome lingers for x seconds and absorbs projectiles.

Many possible synergies (Aegis / Blind traits) but keeps the core functionality.

Honorable Shield / Stalward Defender

• Reduce Shield cooldown.
  • Grant nearby allies 3s of Protection when your Aegis is removed while whielding a shield.

Sets itself aside from Focus by providing group utility.

in Guardian

Posted by: merchantchuck.4875

merchantchuck.4875

I’d like something like this:

Shield of Judgment

• Heal up to 5 allies and grant them Fury
  • Cripple up to 5 foes.

Great synergy with e.g. AH and offers an OH with soft CC which Guardians lack.

Shield of Absorption

• Scrap #5.2
  • Cast a dome of light which grants nearby allies Aegis and Blinds/Knock backs nearby foes.
  • Dome lingers for x seconds and absorbs projectiles.

Many possible synergies (Aegis / Blind traits) but keeps the core functionality.

Honorable Shield / Stalward Defender

• Reduce Shield cooldown.
  • Grant nearby allies 3s of Protection when your Aegis is removed while whielding a shield.

Sets itself aside from Focus by providing group utility.

I like the idea of the shield 5 lingering and not rooting us, would provide some nice protection from ranger pew pew’s

in Guardian

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

A made a big post on Shield a while back. Guardian Shield 5 is a good skill IMO, and works just fine. While I wouldn’t neccesarily say no to a longer length Projectile Blocking effect on it, I really don’t think the skill needs (nor do I even want) a full rework of it, as much as I like the OPs ideas for it.

As for Skill 4 though. Yeah, it’s very lacklustre. It serves mostly as an effective AFK way to get up your Shield Master achievement, and not much else really, seems as good as Protection is, Hammer totally trumps it for that making it redundant. I’d definetly be for a re-working of Guardian Shield 4, perhaps using one of your Skill 5 suggestions. Though simply making the wave grant Allies Aegis would fix it and let it fill a good role in those Aegis-trait builds.

EDIT: Just a thought, but maybe the offensive portion of the Shield 4 Wave will get the Taunt effect in HoT? This too would actually go along way to making the shield good for at least some role, and cement itself as the off-hand weapon of choice for a tank Guardian, as a Shield should be. The new reworked Shield Trait’s current positioning in the trait lines we’ve been shown would actually make alot more sense if this was indeed the case.

(edited by KotCR.6024)

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

While I’m not certain about the specific proposals by the OP, I agree completely with the sentiment of his post.

Take a look at the Icons in the forum and in the game to signify Guardian.

TL;DR As the Guardian’s iconic weapon, shield should be at the very least viable and isn’t.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

And with the stream today, it is confirmed that guardian will still be the only shield class without a block on their shield.

GG

in Guardian

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

yeah, when i first started playing i was kinda bummed that THE FREAKING SHILED was a weapon with NO FREAKING BLOCKS

Edit: im just gona leave that typo there to show emotion

in Guardian

Renshu.5329

And with the stream today, it is confirmed that guardian will still be the only shield class without a block on their shield.

GG

As disappointing as it sounds, do you have a VOD link? I’d like to personally hear that the dream is dead from them.

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

GG

As disappointing as it sounds, do you have a VOD link? I’d like to personally hear that the dream is dead from them.

They never definitively said that guardian’s shield won’t be changed, but it’s been nearly 3 years and the best we’ve gotten after consistent complaint is a paltry cooldown reduction. Even if they go through with improving the shield trait, the weapon should be able to stand on its own without having to trait for it, and it currently does not. As is, it’s hands down the worst weapon in the game.

in Guardian

Posted by: hobotnicax.7918

hobotnicax.7918

I agree with changing guardian shield skills, cause the current ones are crap. #4 could use some reworks but #5 needs to be changed out for something else.

1. should get up to 8 allies affected and adding aegis 5s and regen 5s
  2. could be a “smash down shield” and create a field (water or fire) with aoe burn or aoe heal and regen.

MAKE SHIELD A GOOD/VIABLE & PURE SUPPORT WEAPON!

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

MAKE SHIELD A GOOD/VIABLE & PURE SUPPORT WEAPON!

I really hope that we don’t need to wait more 3 years for this.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: Thoth Divine.8642

Thoth Divine.8642

Shield abilities are 90% fine. I’ve been using Shield a lot since they reduced the cooldowns and to be honest it’s a great off-hand.

Simple way to make Shield better:

1. grants aegis on allies and blinds on foes
  2. remove channeled, bubble lasts 3-4 seconds, blocking all incoming projectiles, heal area when shield fades.

Done. Shield is 100% great control/support off-hand.

Blessed Curse – Symbolic DH
Thoth Divine – Power Necro
I Hope You Die – Burst Berserker

in Guardian

Posted by: Shard.4372

Shard.4372

Honestly the way I look at shields is yes it does need a rework, but the abilities are fine, they just need a huge buff. I believe that #4 could be used more offensively if they added a blind to it, and maybe even make it give a stack of might for 10s. The #5 skill should grant you block for the duration, and make the detonate a combo blast. These changes could make the shield much more versatile, so you can use it in either defensive, offensive, or utility scenarios. The focus IMO is a much more defensive weapon, while the torch is offensive, so it makes sense giving the shield a middle ground, not too damage-y but not too tank-y.

Xian Mistlock, 80 Herald
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: [EDGE] Journeys Edge