Bunker retalliation build?? how to spec and gear?

in Guardian

Posted by: BishopX.6453

BishopX.6453

SO topic says it all, Ive googled and all I seem to come up with are people playing NON “bunker builds”

I came up wit my own solo pug spvp spec.
http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mcccMM0M0MvRGmMmCFm9MGxGVRMkaMs8kii7kiU7070c7kNc70V7ofF

save yoruself
hold the line
signet of judgement

I gear using the toughness vitality runes
but using the clerics amulet and jewl

this leaves me with 14k ish hp
so when I get hartseeker spammed to death people say “DUDE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DIE YOU ONLY HAVE 14k HP BRO” (see attachment)

so do i use soldiers and now have no healing?

people claim they can tank 2-3 people with their guardians, I seem to have problems LIVING against 1 on a point. I just died to a scepter spec guardian 1v1 so now I figure i gotta be doin SOMETHING wrong with spec and gear.

any suggestions on making myself a better solo pug bunker?

On my ele, stack boon duration and that helps me stay alive longer, should I give up the toughness vital and condition removal of the soldiers runes in favor of stacking earth and water runes for longer regen and longer protection duration?

which is more important, protection, retalliation or regen?
Hold the line > Stand your ground ?

Attachments:

in Guardian

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

The way you’ve placed your traits looks more like a group support build rather than a bunker. Alot of damage comes from conditions and bar full of shouts will do little to remove them. Being a bunker you’d find yourself alone alot of the time and when you’re in a 2vs1 or 3vs1, your job is to buy time for your teammates to either cap other points or wait for reinforcements.

1/ Bunkers often use 2 meditations and 1 shout or 3 meditations. The reason being for monk’s focus which heals the guardian for a good chunk of health for using a meditation. Picking up meditation mastery will let you heal more often and keep conditions off yourself.

2/ Soldier gear is the most balanced for achieving high defence. Its up to you whether you want more base health or more effective health. I personally prefer base health just incase I get caught with my pants down

3/ Activating a virtue also grants you retaliation. I usually pick a shout that also gives retaliation for maximum up time. Also signet of resolve is usually the better choice unless you find yourself trying to heal inside a massive burst.

4/ The Mace + Shield is the most reliable option for holding points, paired with a Hammer. In your screenshot, I see you got backstabbed for 8k. It is important you break out of the stun asap and strafe around the thief. Never backpeddle and use the shield knockback if you’re being chained or overloaded with conditions.

Thats a start anyway so good luck.

in Guardian

BishopX.6453

but you dont get any damage defense or healing from any of the meditations.
2 deal damage and 1 removes boons and turns them into buffs.
most of my deaths come from thieves bursting me down, warriors bursting me down or rangers shooting me 75 times with crossfire. conditions usually are not a HUGE problem. a problem, but not usually where most of my deaths come from.
so does meditation mastery heal for THAT much? that I can use it to bunker 2 burst people for more than 20 sec?

(edited by BishopX.6453)

in Guardian

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Your spec is really questionable.. you went with Soldier runes and x2 shouts yet did not pick up pure of voice. Also, you don’t have stability which is pretty much mandatory in tournament settings. Because you lack stability, you also don’t have Tome of Courage which is still a game changing elite. Renewed Focus is ok with some bunker builds but I find tome better if you can pull it off. And if you wanted retaliation, why Signet of Judgement over “Stand Your Ground!” when you’re traited for shouts?

And yes, Meditations heal for close to 2k even without any +healing investment from your amulet. That’s why people run it with Soldier’s amulet. Believe it or not, you actually have quite ample protection if you’re good with Hammer auto-attacks and smart about your blocks with Mace/Shield.

Having 14k HP is really low, it’s no wonder you got your butt bursted by a thief. You’re stacking +healing but you also pick the worst HPS heal out of the Guardian’s arsenal. +Healing generally scales pretty bad, the only one that scales 1:1 is the dodge heal trait, Selfless Daring. Putting all your stats on +Healing also means your bulk comes from getting heals off which can be easily interrupted.

If you’re not dying to condition specs, then you just haven’t faced good ones yet. Guess what rangers are doing when they spam crossfire, they’re also stacking beeds. Packing Save Yourselves! is asking to get rolled by a Necro.

(edited by Lumines.3916)

in Guardian

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

but you dont get any damage defense or healing from any of the meditations.
2 deal damage and 1 removes boons and turns them into buffs.
most of my deaths come from thieves bursting me down, warriors bursting me down or rangers shooting me 75 times with crossfire. conditions usually are not a HUGE problem. a problem, but not usually where most of my deaths come from.
so does meditation mastery heal for THAT much? that I can use it to bunker 2 burst people for more than 20 sec?

The Hammer and The Mace/Shield already provide you protection boons and CC

Hammer #1 has a symbol built in the last hit which gives protection. Even it if doesn’t hit the person, simply running into it gives you an advantage. You can also role between hits 2-3 and the symbol will still go off. Hammer #2 Is now almost a guaranteed hit and will give retaliation if used within the symbol.

Mace auto attack heals you on the final hit. The Symbol also heals you in addition to the short cool down. #3 is a free block or protection. Shield #4 also gives protection. Shield #5 is an AoE knock back, probably our most powerful interrupt. You can also use it to heal though I’m having a few problems with it.

Case from point, if you use your skills timely and properly, you shouldn’t get bursted down and the only time this should have happened is if everything is on cool down or you get jumped by another player mid fight. I Also suggested that you run 1 shout with a meditation build. That could be Save Yourselves, Stand Your Ground or Hold The line, so there is still the option for you to have an utility that gives protection., though I much prefer stability.

You cannot have everything. There will always be a counter, but if you dodge the arrow spam, avoid the spikes that the thief might place in a node, then the fight should be yours. Warriors are cutting you down because you’re not freeing yourself from their snares or place boons on yourself when it mattered. Which also means that you need more practice as a player as well. Meditations will remove those horrible 10 stacks of bleed, vulnerable, poison, burns. It is not uncommon for guardians to have 2 stun breakers and stability which is why warriors are often our easiest target.

(edited by Polle.6908)

in Guardian

BishopX.6453

OK, Ill make these changes tonight and let you know how it goes…
it never seems to be conditions that kill me though, its always DAMAGE.

but we will see tonight.
thanks

in Guardian

BishopX.6453

ok here are 2 of the fights.
is that how its supposed to work?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXUn5-d4HsI&feature=youtu.be

I find myself spending more time waiting on buffs to clense, should I just try to fire them off as soon as I get below 80% life or should I just save them?