Dragonhunter

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Anything can happen at this point. It seems like people are criticizing the entire elite spec simply because they can’t handle its creative guardian/ ranger combo.

That’s what bothers me: It’s NOT creative. It’s not new. It’s plastering something we already have from another class onto this one. I mean I get that maybe it’d be hard to match something as unique as the chronomancer, but this just makes me feel like they didn’t even attempt to do so.

Not sure what you expected when they said they were going to be re-using other class utility types… Beyond that you have no idea what the skills will even do. o.o

Chronomancer says hello…

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

Anything can happen at this point. It seems like people are criticizing the entire elite spec simply because they can’t handle its creative guardian/ ranger combo.

That’s what bothers me: It’s NOT creative. It’s not new. It’s plastering something we already have from another class onto this one. I mean I get that maybe it’d be hard to match something as unique as the chronomancer, but this just makes me feel like they didn’t even attempt to do so.

Not sure what you expected when they said they were going to be re-using other class utility types… Beyond that you have no idea what the skills will even do. o.o

Chronomancer says hello…

Uhm, necromancer says hi.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Chronomancer says hello…

Yeah… Wells are a necromancer thing… Mesmer’s are also arguably better than Necromancer’s. So, hi…

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Chronomancer says hello…

Yeah… Wells are a necromancer thing… Mesmer’s are also arguably better than Necromancer’s. So, hi…

Fair enough. Don’t know about Mesmers being better than Necros though… we have yet to see their new elite specs…

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I hate you… so much

Lol! This made me laugh in class like an idiot.

Seriously though, if the traits are passable, scrap the traps, pick up the LB for a ranged weapon and hopefully have a reliable ranged damage weapon the replaces the need of the vigor on crit trait, while having more damage setup potential from virtues.

Thats hopefully a good takeaway so far.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

ronpierce.2760

Chronomancer says hello…

Fair enough. Don’t know about Mesmers being better than Necros though… we have yet to see their new elite specs…

We saw what the wells do. pulsing slow on enemies and giving quickness, and causing team members to evade attacks and a gravity well that pulls things to the center alone per pulse alone provides more utility than what necromancer wells do. Necromancer wells don’t even have finishing effects.

That said, that’s what makes me think maybe Guardian traps will have something a bit different to them.

Edit: http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/gw2-chronomancer-well-skills2.jpg
And these are untraited.

(edited by ronpierce.2760)

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Never let it be said that Arena Net doesn’t listen.

Remember when you guys said you wanted a condition spec for guardian that used more than just burning.

Your welcome, you got it.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: typographie.1742

typographie.1742

While traps might be underwhelming. I think people are undeeeestimatng the significance of the virtue changes. That extra leap could make for a pretty good addition to LB/GS, Hambow or even more standard set ups. Remember not all parts of specializations are required.

that aim based spear may have problems like Flame Thrower kit does. thats my concern.

Also is that leap ground target or not?

I believe it said it was ground targeted. And they seem to get the mist wall shield from revanant hammer on their courage virtue. I could see the new stuff being pretty useful, honestly. Just avoid traps if you don’t like them, just like any other build. People still get 3 trait lines… Meditation Dragonhunters with more mobility and blocks? I cant imagine that not being successful. Especially if the new trait that makes the courage leap also deal damage when you land, the burst potential could be real.

avoid traps?

Thats all the DH’s 6-0 skills seem to be….

Just as the Chronomancer isn’t expected to load up on five wells, the Dragonhunter is not expected to use a full bar of traps. You may use one or two, or maybe since they’re traps they’ll be so niche as to not make their way into many general-purpose builds. You’ve still got all of the baseline Guardian weapons, traits, and skills.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

I hate you… so much

Lol! This made me laugh in class like an idiot.

Seriously though, if the traits are passable, scrap the traps, pick up the LB for a ranged weapon and hopefully have a reliable ranged damage weapon the replaces the need of the vigor on crit trait, while having more damage setup potential from virtues.

Thats hopefully a good takeaway so far.

I’ve thought of this and i’ll give it a shot. Unfortunately we haven’t seen the traits from the Chronomancer so I doubt we’ll see the Dragon Hunter’s traits.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: MelGT.8326

MelGT.8326

I wonder how many people complaining about getting Ranger traps know that Thieves have traps as well…

Though, that tidbit probably only reinforces the point some of them are making…

Which just goes to show how useless and underused the thief traps are in general, and the ranger traps just about beat them, and only just. I’m reserving judgement until we see how the new skills and the traitline actually work, but first impressions “meh” with some “ok…” thrown in. Note to ANet, you should have done this first and Chonomancer second. At least that way the reveals would have been getting better, now I’m worried about the rest.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Tseikk.9032

Tseikk.9032

This looks so lovely, stealth (with trapper runes), leap, long range and a skill almost made to counter longbow rangers. Perfect for wvw

I speak for myself, not for my server or my guild.
Solo roamer, all classes.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

The only vulnerability to traps will be Stability because that is what will break your opening. A Guardian with Hammer could use Hammer 5 and then trap. A GS Guardian could use GS4, GS5, trap. A scepter guardian could use Scepter 3 then trap. It’s all about the setup.

As for Dragonhunter. Seeing as how the main villains of GW2 are dragons, the name is appropriate because that is what every protagonist is doing.

I agree with Ron, waiting is best but to say that Guardian has no CC for trapping someone means they are not thinking about possibilities.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Ranger is the class I like the less from the game, never liked ranged combat.

Newsflash. Ranger doesn’t derive from the word “range” and you don’t need to play ranged combat to play one. And melee ranger is fun.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

News flash, they gave guardian the worst aspects of playing a ranger besides the pets.

Wrekks/Wrekts

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: coconutdown.6512

coconutdown.6512

This “DragonHunter” is the best joke I heard today ^^

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

ronpierce.2760

It’s those kitten Chronomancers, turning time back to April 1st. Amirite? :P

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Eggs.3142

Eggs.3142

Never let it be said that Arena Net doesn’t listen.

Remember when you guys said you wanted a condition spec for guardian that used more than just burning.

Your welcome, you got it.

And I for one thank them. I’m gonna burn the world down. Gotta get started on my Ascended Condition Damage set now

I play Thief Guardian and Ranger. So Thanks Anet. I can be pretty much all of them at once now!

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

You guys do realize they’re doing the same thing for everyone? Mesmers are getting Wells – which used to be Necromancers. Guardians are getting Traps. Mesmer wells are thematically different from Necromancer wells, so expect the same.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Huge disappointment. HoT will have to go a long long way to make traps and bow even remotely useful in PvE

Personally, I don’t think it fits the class… and neither does that awful name.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

so we got sort of condi ranger build with 1 leap ability instead of JI bit healing aoe ability which i must make sure my enemy stand on it so i get healed or i die , bit more bleeding to cover burning condition but probably lost my healing ability we had from meditation as we now long range
so hybrid support condi seems atm. seems weak as hell.
lets see what the traps brings. if it support then still medi guard will be the meta. if the traps bring strong pressure condi dmg then we can talk about condi guard.
by the short clip we saw the trap immobilize = copy of the ranger so nothing new . if i want trap i go ranger so why go guard

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

The honourable and virtuous Guardian are resorting to traps? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Eggs.3142

The honourable and virtuous Guardian are resorting to traps? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

Honor and Virtue are for your allies. Show your enemies none of the kindness you show your friends. Burn them with righteous flames.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

BTW traps in PVE → Instant kick
Traps in pvp and wvw solo (→kick in group)..somewhat usable (10%-20%)

I expected something better…something not seen before…but I think Anet is just unmotivated and taking stuff from others and giving them to us.
I am disappointed hard……

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

You guys do realize they’re doing the same thing for everyone? Mesmers are getting Wells – which used to be Necromancers. Guardians are getting Traps. Mesmer wells are thematically different from Necromancer wells, so expect the same.

The chronomancer may have wells, which originated with the necro, but the spec itself looks nothing like a necro clone. It has its own new profession mechanic, and it takes a shield, which was not inspired by the necro.

This just looks like they took a guardian to ranger school for a day and called it good. EVERYTHING about it just screams ranger with blue glowy effects.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Guardian with stealth…unexpected but I am ready. We wanted range and conditions…it seems fitting so far give me the stream now!!!

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Well at least we know from the video that they can solo a dinosaur

This is the best thing I have ever read….ever…hahahahaha I can’t stop laughing hahahaa.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

I’m pretty excited for this actually. All of you saying it sucks are jumping to conclusions way too early. Wait until tomorrow so we can see what it can actually do and then judge it. For all we know Dragonhunter traps could be instant cast from range and create wards or CC effects when triggered. Give it a chance.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Eggs.3142

I’m pretty excited for this actually. All of you saying it sucks are jumping to conclusions way too early. Wait until tomorrow so we can see what it can actually do and then judge it. For all we know Dragonhunter traps could be instant cast from range and create wards or CC effects when triggered. Give it a chance.

They would be amazing. Imagine laying down not one big trap, but maybe a bunch of little ones. Like a mine field filled with mini symbols of wrath.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Some players requested a long bow to guardian Anet gave them.
But really what players were expecting was a bow with lots of conditions and damage for the easy play.

Skrits accept anything that is shiny.

If it had just been bow, I would have been okay with it. Seriously though, traps aren’t that useful. There’s a reason that neither Rangers nor Thieves use their traps very often. Mostly they’re just used for WvW roaming iirc.

indeed, and making a trap for allies doesnt make any sense even if it is for healling gw1 rangers had healling spring trap but they were rangers, that electrfied fence trap would fit something like ele or engie, guardian with wings and spears for gap closers that would be fine, imo ic this as a nail in guardian coffin.

Guardian with bow is to hard to push players to play if doest make a ton of damage.

Personally, if they did something in between consecrations and traps it could have been useful. I think traps may be useful when stacking in Dungeons, but I think it’d have been better to just do more Consecrations.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

xDDDDDD im sorry guys this hilarious “dragon hunter” what a cheesy name xD

On a more serious note, i think this spec was completely uncreative. Trapper ranger 2.0 much? and im not even just saying that.. they should have given one or the other. Bow AND traps? not to mention theyre even giving them bleeds.. Also this means you guys get stealth xD really makes sense.. guards getting stealth (trapper runes).

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Amroth.2170

Amroth.2170

This just screams laziness. None of it meshes well with its base class from an aesthetic or lore perspective. It really seems they just figured Guardians had poor ranged options, so lets rip off some Ranger skills and give them a bow, instead of actually trying to grow the class in a logical way. It just feels so cheap.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Lazze.9870

News flash, they gave guardian the worst aspects of playing a ranger besides the pets.

Which has nothing to do with anything I said or the context I was replying to, but for the sake of being on topic: yes, they did (obviously somewhat depending on how distinct the traps actually will be).

They obviously have plans to improve on traps for both thieves and rangers, so there is always that grasp of hope And the fact that current trapper rangers mostly suffers from the lack of surviveability they get from investing in them, not the skills themselves. They can’t do that same mistake again with guardians. They just can’t..

The name though. Dragonhunter. That’s bad.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

It’s those kitten Chronomancers, turning time back to April 1st. Amirite? :P

That one was good. Man, why didn’t I think of that^^

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Well, having main’d a Guardian for the most of GW2’s launch to date, then swapping to a Ranger, I find this rather, well, interesting.

LB Rangers with Traps are pretty deadly and not widely used in the WvW space. Most run full power / zerk. I mean I run it from time to time when I want to pew pew people down and kitten them off. However, traps are strong.

Not sure if they said or if anyone verified, but I can’t really see them giving Guardians the trap runes. Stealth on a Guardian just seems wrong. I still don’t know why they gave them a bow rather than a big kitten piece of steel we call a shield and make that dynamic work properly for once. Put them truly on the front lines where they belong.

This bow, how is that supposed to work with heavy armor on the front line. Just does not compute.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Kind of astonished how much people are equating this to a ranger clone, somehow. It looks like the Guardian will have a much heavier focus on control, with slow, heavy attacks. Compare this to Rapid Fire, which is one of the more defining attacks of ranger longbow. (Right behind the infamous Point Blank Shot)

And the really funny thing is, nobody seems to be comparing it to the Warrior longbow skillset!

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Lazze.9870

Not sure if they said or if anyone verified, but I can’t really see them giving Guardians the trap runes. Stealth on a Guardian just seems wrong.

If you for some stupid reason wanted to, you can already run trapper runes with a guardian. Why would they take that away when adding traps to the profession?

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Rejoice, You can use trapper rune now and be imba.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Lazze.9870

Kind of astonished how much people are equating this to a ranger clone, somehow. It looks like the Guardian will have a much heavier focus on control, with slow, heavy attacks.

This. Even thief traps (which people seem to forget even exist) behave differently from ranger traps.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

While we still don’t know the function but dang the animation looks great to me.
http://cdn.tentonhammer.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/gw2hot_05-2015_Fragments_of_Faith_%28Utility%29_0.jpg

All is vain.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

“You lay down a trap which creates a symbol of ANET if an enemy triggers it…”

“Your traps have 1200 range…”

“If you hit an enemy with your trap it also apply Immobilise (1sec)

“You shoot a piercing arrow from your bow what deals more damage the closer your foes are…”

“Your virtues keep the passive effect after activating…”

“Your traps have a 66% chance to apply Torment for 3 sec…”

“When you use your a trap it also apply Taunt (2sec 600 range)”

We have no idea how it’s gonna work!

Calm down!

If the damage of the LB is not affected by the distance from the enemy it can be a good weapon even in PvE. If the traps can be traited to give support or extra damage for party members and can be thrown it’s a different story in PvE. Extra dodges and damage mitigation by Virtues are also good in PvE…

Just. Wait. A. Bit.

#I no words have"

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

Before today Guardians were screaming how much they wanted longbow. They get a longbow that works like a longbow. Now everyone is complaining.

What exactly did people think Guardian Longbow was going to be?

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Before today Guardians were screaming how much they wanted longbow. They get a longbow that works like a longbow. Now everyone is complaining.

I don’t play guard but im pretty sure its obvious that the problem isnt the longbow itself, its the fact that they also gave them traps (and therefore stealth) and bleeds basically turning them into a trapper ranger 2.0 and doesnt sound like a guard at all.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

At least as good as Warrior Longbow.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

ronpierce.2760

Not a “Dragonhunter”.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

specialization should not be mixing classes together…

From what I gather that is the whole point of specializations. In GW1 you could always combine 2 professions. In GW2 this role seems to be done by elite specializations. In this case it was obviously a combination of Guardian and Ranger as Chronomancer seems to be a combination of Mesmer and Necromancer.

^This.

I will say I’m not super fond of the name as it doesn’t mesh thematically with a guardian, but I am super excited to have a longbow which I’ve always loved, new virtue mechanics etc.

I’m iffy about the traps just because I don’t like ground targeted abilities, but I’ll give them a fair shot.

maybe they’ll work amazingly for bunker guardians. Even more node control..

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Sagat.3285

I don’t play guard but im pretty sure its obvious that the problem isnt the longbow itself, its the fact that they also gave them traps (and therefore stealth) and bleeds basically turning them into a trapper ranger 2.0 and doesnt sound like a guard at all.

It a mix of professions, they don’t have pets and are not ranger 2.0 you are not limited to LB+traps mix and match how you want or simply don’t get it if you are satisfied with current guardian we have been asking for long range and damage conditions other then burn. It fits right now with our needs and demands the future stream can confirm it, again if you have what you prefer don’t bash on those liking the dragonhunter concept.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

It a mix of professions, they don’t have pets and are not ranger 2.0 you are not limited to LB+traps mix and match how you want or simply don’t get it if you are satisfied with current guardian we have been asking for long range and damage conditions other then burn. It fits right now with our needs and demands the future stream can confirm it, again if you have what you prefer don’t bash on those liking the dragonhunter concept.

You have to admit that there were plenty more unique ways to apply long range and condition builds than by almost literally copy+pasting a ranger skillset. They’re going to have to make these “traps” very NOT trap-like in order for people to want to use them over meditations, consecrations, or shouts.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Sagat.3285

You have to admit that there were plenty more unique ways to apply long range and condition builds than by almost literally copy+pasting a ranger skillset. They’re going to have to make these “traps” very NOT trap-like in order for people to want to use them over meditations, consecrations, or shouts.

It depends I use traps on both ranger and thief, I was depressed after necro one so I zoned out a bit on ranger core specilizations but for thief it was a great improvement. I don’t expect this to fail especially for those playing condition guard like me. Core specilizations themselves look more friendly to condition guard.

The Dhuumfire thread

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

how in the hell do you know its copy and paste from rangers? Thieves have traps too, but they’ve barely mentioned what any of the DH traps do, or the utilities they offer.

People don’t seem to realize that these specializations are a way to bring back the ability in gw1 to combine classes.

So eventually all classes will likely have specializations that imitated some aspects of another class.

If you don’t like that, then don’t use a specialization and just be a vanilla guardian.

Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I don’t understand this.

Chronomancer is using Necromancer’s wells. Are they anything alike? No.

Dragonhunter has a shield arrow that absorbs arrows, winged leaps, revenant’s absorb wall, condition damage, support effects and no pets. This is completely unlike the longbow ranger. Yes, the teaser showed a barrage-like skill, and we know they’ll get traps, but it is unknown at this point of their actual effects.

Dragonhunter is quite a creative spec so far, imo, except its mediocre name. I mean, we’re talking about a leaping angel that shoots shield arrows. That’s not a ranger. That’s at chronomancer-level of awesome.

I think the teaser and the spec’s name are giving it a worse impression than what it deservers.