Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Please dont ask me what I want to do, Im well aware that one is for tanking ad the other for DPSing, but what Im asking instead is; for 80-90% of the situations, this includes PvE open world, Dungeons, Fractals, WvW, Pugs and premades, whats best?

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Well, if you don’t want to differentiate, then definitely zerker. PVT is useless in open world and deserves a kick in dungeons/fractals.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

There’s more than those two stat combos. Players can use more than one stat gear set, as well as mix and matching among the many, anyway.

And no one “deserves” a kick for using the gear that suits their playstyle, whether it is Soldier’s, Berserker’s, or anything else. I am not a fan of Soldier’s gear (which doesn’t mean you shouldn’t like it) but there’s no reason to imply people are “doing it wrong” by choosing whatever gear for this or that content (other than ego-“play my way or you don’t know what you are doing”-or following what everybody else does like mindless herds-“if everybody is doing it, it must be right!” Wrong if it doesn’t suit you.)

My advice would be to forget “metas”, and find your own way. Alternatively, use “metas” as rough guides of what is currently working for many, but still find out whatever works for yourself, which is what matters in the end.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

all around? Knight armour, zerk trinkets

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

There’s more than those two stat combos. Players can use more than one stat gear set, as well as mix and matching among the many, anyway.

And no one “deserves” a kick for using the gear that suits their playstyle, whether it is Soldier’s, Berserker’s, or anything else. I am not a fan of Soldier’s gear (which doesn’t mean you shouldn’t like it) but there’s no reason to imply people are “doing it wrong” by choosing whatever gear for this or that content (other than ego-“play my way or you don’t know what you are doing”-or following what everybody else does like mindless herds-“if everybody is doing it, it must be right!” Wrong if it doesn’t suit you.)

My advice would be to forget “metas”, and find your own way. Alternatively, use “metas” as rough guides of what is currently working for many, but still find out whatever works for yourself, which is what matters in the end.

anyone that uses pvt in a dungeon/fractals absolutely deserves a kick, using pvt would slow down the group and waste peoples time, nobody cares if your running around open world in full pvt though

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

Zerker for everything except if you wanna run with a sizable zerg in wvw, you’ll just be rally bait in full zerker.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: PokerTuna.6170

PokerTuna.6170

Good for everything – PVT armor and zerker trinkets.

However, I use a mix of PPrecisionT/zerker armor and trinkets + PVT on GS/hammer as my main set.

Atm trying some new gear setups but this ^ works very good in WvW, fractals, Dungeos and general PvE.

/ btw kicking guardian for not going zerker in fractals is dumb and foolish. 12 k hp guardian has to be godlike to not die every second.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Woah there. Nobody deserves a kick for play style. Abuse and harassment, sure. But not play style.

That aside, when gearing with any kind of damage in mind always make sure that you have some kind of crit damage gear in your shoulders, gloves, and boots as well as your accessories. You get the most efficient crit damage per stat points that way. PVT gear is not horrible, damage wise – it has the highest power potential out of any stat combo when used with sharpening stones. If you are going to mix and match, I’d do Berserker amulet, Soldier rings, Berserker accessories with Soldier helm, chest, and legs and Berserker shoulder, gloves and boots. That will yield the most efficient stat point usage. You’ll be able to trait in whatever direction you want, offensively or defensively.

If you’re exclusively doing PvE, pack on as many damage multipliers as you can. Fiery Wrath, Radiant Power, Elusive Power, Force sigils, etc will boost your damage considerably.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Clumsy.6257

Woah there. Nobody deserves a kick for play style. Abuse and harassment, sure. But not play style.

That aside, when gearing with any kind of damage in mind always make sure that you have some kind of crit damage gear in your shoulders, gloves, and boots as well as your accessories. You get the most efficient crit damage per stat points that way. PVT gear is not horrible, damage wise – it has the highest power potential out of any stat combo when used with sharpening stones. If you are going to mix and match, I’ do Berserker amulet, Soldier rings, Berserker accessories with Soldier helm, chest, and legs and Berserker shoulder, gloves and boots. That will yield the most efficient stat point usage. You’ll be able to trait in whatever direction you want, offensively or defensively.

If you’re exclusively doing PvE, pack on as many damage multipliers as you can. Fiery Wrath, Radiant Power, Elusive Power, Force sigils, etc will boost your damage considerably.

kicking for play style is wrong (to an extent) but wasting. Other peoples time warrants a kick every time

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

anyone that uses pvt in a dungeon/fractals absolutely deserves a kick, using pvt would slow down the group and waste peoples time, nobody cares if your running around open world in full pvt though

Anyone who kicks others based on such elitist criteria deserves to be real-life-kicked in the rear.

And see, this is an identical argument to those who hated MF gear, which I also would not use on Dungeons but don’t force on anyone. Many people hate everything that is not “meta” and doesn’t kills ASAP. But to what point is it that important that it’s “worth it” belittling other people’s free choice. You oppose MF gear because it “slows” things down for the group, but you also oppose EVERYTHING that YOU think slows down the group, including Soldier’s and any other stats that haven’t been “vetted” by a video or tech spreadsheet as the “fastest” way to do things. That’s why what is selfish is people’s attitude, not their amoral gear.

He/she who kicks based on gear simply needs to understand this is a game first and foremost, and not worth taking it that seriously. Make a note of the gear and build requirements you want, so that the people you despise for not using the gear you want will evade your groups, and you have some “speedrun fun” with like-minded individuals-no need to kick anyone then (and please don’t resurrect the “gear check tool” which is also based on similar close-minded, elitist-and yes, often “selfish”-desires.)

I do not mean to be offensive, and it’s your right to hate Soldier’s gear for yourself or your groups-however, intolerance 100% always comes off as offensive and abusive of the rights of others, even if perhaps you are not thinking that much that that is precisely what you are doing.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

That aside, when gearing with any kind of damage in mind always make sure that you have some kind of crit damage gear in your shoulders, gloves, and boots as well as your accessories. You get the most efficient crit damage per stat points that way. PVT gear is not horrible, damage wise – it has the highest power potential out of any stat combo when used with sharpening stones. If you are going to mix and match, I’ do Berserker amulet, Soldier rings, Berserker accessories with Soldier helm, chest, and legs and Berserker shoulder, gloves and boots. That will yield the most efficient stat point usage. You’ll be able to trait in whatever direction you want, offensively or defensively.

kicking for play style is wrong (to an extent) but wasting. Other peoples time warrants a kick every time

But you don’t get to decide if another person is wasting your time based on his/her gear. You simply can’t know just because of that-you are ASSUMING he/she will waste your time, much like people make unfair real-life assumptions based on individual preferences, backgrounds, etc. Someone may very well “waste your time” with the “right” gear (according to you.)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Clumsy.6257

But you don’t get to decide if another person is wasting your time based on his/her gear. You simply can’t know just because of that-you are ASSUMING he/she will waste your time, much like people make unfair real-life assumptions based on individual preferences, backgrounds, etc. Someone may very well “waste your time” with the “right” gear (according to you.)

your right they may, thats why when my guilds premades need a pug we look at achievement points as well, double filter keeps the noobs out

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

There’s no point in PVT outside of WvW. Given you only gave two options, that leaves berserker gear.

BTW you can’t tank in GW2.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

I think that if you want to have an exclusionist versus inclusionist argument, there are better threads for it. Probably best to keep this on topic.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

There’s no point in PVT outside of WvW. Given you only gave two options, that leaves berserker gear.

BTW you can’t tank in GW2.

Forgot to add to your comment, “IMO”. What you are saying is just common (mis)perception, which is OK for you to believe, but that doesn’t make it true for all players (Soldier’s in general is not what I prefer for one important reason: zero precision-but I run Rabid, zero power builds on other Professions quite happily, and since I play as darn well I like, it’s quite silly to demand others to play the way I like.)

I wish ANet did something to encourage players to use anything other than full Berserker’s. The all-too-frequent disparaging of others for not using “what they are supposed to use” is annoying to say the least. Best thing to do is to ignore and just keep playing however you wish, and with whatever gear you worked hard for that works for yourself-we all play for our own fun after all, not to appease the “zerk” masses (and no, I have NOTHING against Berserker’s gear use by itself.)

(As for “tanking”, of course there are no traditional “tanks” on GW2-it doesn’t logically follow, however, that defensive stats are “thus” useless.)

If I was to answer this thread, and forced to choose between the two, I would reluctantly choose Berserker’s and play uber carefully. I rather have full Cleric’s than full Soldier’s, not because the latter is “useless on PvE”, but because at least I will have lots of healing power to support a fair amount of total defense, despite the zero Precision. Having defense and high vitality is nice, of course, as well as high Power, but it doesn’t hit as hard as you’d think without criticals (although good against inanimate objects, to be sure. :P) Berserker’s give you great offensive capabilities, but is a high risk/high reward playstyle that rightly shouldn’t be forced on everybody, no matter how “effective” it may be (to be fair, the Guardian is well-equipped to deal with this playstyle given access to easy blinds and Aegis/Shelter blocks-avoiding being hit in the first place is paramount.)

I hate about Berserker’s that it’s so easy to be taken down by 6+mobs solo, whereas almost any other defensive gear will pull the Guardian through because of its crazy-good defensive capabilities. Full-offense does wonders in organized, small group play, but there’s much more to GW2 than speedruns, IME and HO. Defense and support are greatly underrated by the community, despite them being an ANet-vetted, viable playstyle-especially given the many options we have to gear in that way should we prefer to do so.

Please take no offense and “Zerk” all you want. Just understand that many non-“noobs” prefer to use something else, and they may have more than 5,000 achievement points as well.

(And BTW, discriminating against low achievement point players is folly, since how many points did you have when you started playing, and how did that define you as a player?)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Well, if you don’t want to differentiate, then definitely zerker. PVT is useless in open world and deserves a kick in dungeons/fractals.

Great attitude! But you can do better. How about adding…
– If you’re not wearing full ascended (where possible) you’re wasting my time.
– If you’re playing using a very specific build and using a certain weapon you’re wasting my time.
– If you’re not playing one of three particular professions you’re wasting my time.
– If you’re wanting to watch the cut scenes you’re wasting my time.

So now you deserve to be kicked from a dungeon/fractal if you’re not a great sword-wielding Warrior, Guardian, or Mesmer in full Berserker’s exotic gear with ascended trinkets and a cookiecuttter build who is willing to skip all cut scenes.

Great attitude, indeed.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Clumsy.6257

– If you’re playing using a very specific build and using a certain weapon you’re wasting my time.
– If you’re not playing one of three particular professions you’re wasting my time.

So now you serve+ to be kicked from a dungeon/fractal if you’re not a great sword-wielding Warrior, Guardian, or Mesmer in full Berserker’s exotic gear with ascended trinkets and a cookiecuttter build who is willing to skip all cut scenes.

Great attitude, indeed.

most people dont care about your build or weapon choice as long as your built to use your classes strengths. Ex: DPS guardian but still bring wor, sota, and PoV, an eexample of a bad choice is a shout heal warrior or longbow ranger

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

So now you serve+ to be kicked from a dungeon/fractal if you’re not a great sword-wielding Warrior, Guardian, or Mesmer in full Berserker’s exotic gear with ascended trinkets and a cookiecuttter build who is willing to skip all cut scenes.

Great attitude, indeed.

most people dont care about your build or weapon choice as long as your built to use your classes strengths. Ex: DPS guardian but still bring wor, sota, and PoV, an eexample of a bad choice is a shout heal warrior or longbow ranger

Why do you have the power to decide what’s “bad” for others, though? This is what you fail to see. You are favoring your own biases and preferences, and basically forcing them unto others, otherwise they must be “doing it wrong” and are “unfit” for Dungeons.

If shout heal Warriors are bad, why does ANet permits them as an option? And why shouldn’t a Ranger use a Longbow-just because you wouldn’t?

In short, who has the right to tell others they are playing GW2 “inappropriately” by choosing to play in unorthodox ways, and why must we all play the same way? “Speed” ("do not be “selfish” and waste my time!" how ironic, BTW) is hardly an excuse for intolerance and bullying.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Ah, it’s amazing what people make of a small hyperbole. Do some people in this thread feel concerned by my claim, fearing they won’t be allowed to PVT-leech anymore if this point of view finds more followers?

Let’s face the reality, PVT is bad for dungeons in multiple ways: First, lack of DPS (high power does not produce any meaningful damage, as long as crit chance and damage are missing) and second, no on crit procs due to the low crit chance, which for many classes means a severely reduced endurance regeneration. Besides, it just encourages bad play since many easily avoidable attacks are don’t punish you outright in that bunker junk. And in the end, it does not even offer any kind of support for the group like cleric does. So PVT is just egoistic junk.

For starters, there is better gear. Knight is a good example, probably celestial now, too. They give you a meaningful offensive and enough defense to live through some mistakes. Combined with an AH build, they have probably even better survival capacities than PVT, so that is a good starting point for dungeon newbies, which I actively encourage.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Clumsy.6257

Great attitude, indeed.

most people dont care about your bu. Houd or weapon choice as long as your built to use your classes strengths. Ex: DPS guardian but still bring wor, sota, and PoV, an eexample of a bad choice is a shout heal warrior or longbow ranger

Why do you have the power to decide what’s “bad” for others, though? This is what you fail to see. You are favoring your own biases and preferences, and basically forcing them unto others, otherwise they must be “doing it wrong” and are “unfit” for Dungeons.

If shout heal Warriors are bad, why does ANet permits them as an option? And why shouldn’t a Range. use a Longbow-just because you wouldn’t?

In short, who has the right to tell others they are playing GW2 “inappropriately” by choosing to play in unorthodox ways, and why must we all play the same way? “Speed” ("do not be “selfish” and waste my time!" how ironic, BTW) is hardly an excuse for intolerance and bullying.

apparently you’ve misunderstood everything ive posted in this thread. Not once have i said not to run a certain build, ive said running certain builds in a team setting makes you a giant leech and wastes time. and having played gw1, just like every other person that played gw1 towards the end, yes, speed is the way you play, finishing UW in 5 hours vs finishing it in 8 minutes. Also what’s the point of a shout heal warrior? If you want a support class in the party bring a guardian. Same thing for guardian, if he doesnt bring reflects, blocks, and group condi removal why bring a guardian when that slot would be much better off with a war/thief

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

your right they may, thats why when my guilds premades need a pug we look at achievement points as well, double filter keeps the noobs out

True Scrubs only think they need to filter scrubs.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

Ah, it’s amazing what people make of a small hyperbole. Do some people in this thread feel concerned by my claim, fearing they won’t be allowed to PVT-leech anymore if this point of view finds more followers?

Let’s face the reality, PVT is bad for dungeons in multiple ways: First, lack of DPS (high power does not produce any meaningful damage, as long as crit chance and damage are missing) and second, no on crit procs due to the low crit chance, which for many classes means a severely reduced endurance regeneration. Besides, it just encourages bad play since many easily avoidable attacks are don’t punish you outright in that bunker junk. And in the end, it does not even offer any kind of support for the group like cleric does. So PVT is just egoistic junk.

For starters, there is better gear. Knight is a good example, probably celestial now, too. They give you a meaningful offensive and enough defense to live through some mistakes. Combined with an AH build, they have probably even better survival capacities than PVT, so that is a good starting point for dungeon newbies, which I actively encourage.

Exactly the same anti-MF argument, and why ANet should not have listened/cared about it. Soldier’s gear is NOT selfish, nor was MF gear. People can be selfish, not stats. It is selfish of you to punish friendly cooperative play to cater to your own speed-play needs. Saying that “PVT-leech” comment reveals all I ever wanted about people who hated MF gear and wanted gear checks-it was all about elitism, and never about the principles of not being selfish at all.

There are selfish Berserker’s players, and there are unselfish Soldier’s players (and viceversa). Gear doesn’t get to decide someone’s moral inclinations. NOBODY buys/acquires Soldier’s gear to “leech” off anything, it’s just their darn gameplay choice, which they are entitled to. Same as it would be wholly stupid of me to not want players in Berserker’s gear because “they drop like flies” (which in many cases, it’s true if they haven’t mastered/aren’t the best fit with the playstyle)-they are not selfish for choosing to play a way that doesn’t relate to what I am used to and like.

(I don’t have a single Soldier’s piece except two weapons on my Warrior, and my Guardian’s Exotic MF gear has never been used in a Dungeon, but not to cater to elitists, but because I don’t really like using it. However, I feel that people should be let experiment and enjoy whichever gear stat combo they want, because discriminating against others based on WHICHEVER gear stat they use is totally inacceptable and wrong-it assumes that people don’t have the intelligence to make their own choices, and that only you-or the FotM pseudo “leet” mob-knows better.)

(edited by Star Ace.5207)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

To be honest… why on earth would you want to slow your group down and be pretty much useless other than the buffs you might provide

Your not a tank, your not gonna die without it (unless your flat out horrible and dont dodge EVER). It brings nothing to your party.

Solo go for it but don’t weigh others down.

It really has nothing to do with meta. IT has everything to do with being team member in your group.

Would you take someone in all magic find gear that contributes nothing to the group? Probably not, and if you did by accident you would not be happy im sure to find that they are not contributing to your group but just extra baggage, that you carry around.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

Great attitude, indeed.

most people dont care about your bu. Houd or weapon choice as long as your built to use your classes strengths. Ex: DPS guardian but still bring wor, sota, and PoV, an eexample of a bad choice is a shout heal warrior or longbow ranger

If shout heal Warriors are bad, why does ANet permits them as an option? And why shouldn’t a Range. use a Longbow-just because you wouldn’t?

apparently you’ve misunderstood everything ive posted in this thread. Not once have i said not to run a certain build, ive said running certain builds in a team setting makes you a giant leech and wastes time. and having played gw1, just like every other person that played gw1 towards the end, yes, speed is the way you play, finishing UW in 5 hours vs finishing it in 8 minutes. Also what’s the point of a shout heal warrior? If you want a support class in the party bring a guardian. Same thing for guardian, if he doesnt bring reflects, blocks, and group condi removal why bring a guardian when that slot would be much better off with a war/thief

Prove to me that a player in Soldier’s gear wants to be a “giant leech”-that’s what you think of him/her, not who he/she really is. So, the problem is your attitude, not the player in Soldier’s/MF/Giver’s/Whatever’s gear.

I never played Gw1 for speed, nor this one. It’s a waste of time to waste my time complaining about other people “wasting my time” because they “slow my run” doing things their way-as they should all the time.

Doing things your way is not selfish, is your human right. You adapt to the group to cooperate, choose different skills and traits, but never sacrificing individuality, your playstyle, and freedom of choice. It IS selfish to want others to play the way I like because it has been “established” in a meta that may not suit that particular player.

Ask ANet what is the point of a shout heals Warrior if you hate them so much. They gave us the alternative, and it is thus viable. Even for stat gear that I have no use for… sometimes I wonder why, but it is still in the game, and usable by someone. Same with Ranger Longbow and ALL other artificial “thou shall nots” spouted by the elitist community. If it’s not supposed to be done, it shouldn’t be there in the first place-the “meta” has no power over what I should use, but rather, I pick and choose from the many game-given, rightful choices.

I would never criticize your gear choice-I feel it’s silly to tell you “play my way or else”, as if you were my puppet or clone. to be used for my own, selfish speedrun needs.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

To be honest… why on earth would you want to slow your group down and be pretty much useless other than the buffs you might provide

Your not a tank, your not gonna die without it (unless your flat out horrible and dont dodge EVER). It brings nothing to your party.

Solo go for it but don’t weigh others down.

It really has nothing to do with meta. IT has everything to do with being team member in your group.

Would you take someone in all magic find gear that contributes nothing to the group? Probably not, and if you did by accident you would not be happy im sure to find that they are not contributing to your group but just extra baggage, that you carry around.

Your comment is why I always opposed MF gear hate, even though I never used it on Dungeons-I knew it would spread to any other stat that doesn’t conform to what’s supposed to be the “right gear” for you. So supposedly, a player in Soldier’s gear contributes “nothing” to a group. To me, that’s crazy intolerance more than a statement of the facts.

Gear has nothing to do with player skill. I totally reject the idea that all gear is training wheels for the “right” gear: Berserker’s, because it isn’t true-many players contribute way more with their gear choice (whichever it may be) than what they would with what everybody else uses, even if it’s Berserker’s.

I am going farther, and right out say that claiming that the only way to play GW2 PvE is Berserker’s is childish, close-minded, and ignorant. I suppose ANet must fix the Laurel store with all “Zerk” trinkets moving forwards, so that people learn to play GW2 “the right way” (see how silly it all is?)

Berserker’s gear is cool, though-but so can be every other choice included in the game.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

No one is deciding its bad… its pretty much proven theres 0 reason to have that type of gear in pve lol. Your part of a team, one could argue that wearing gear that neither contributes or helps the group accomplish the task at hand is selfish. I would say its more selfish to run something like PVT or MF. There is no I in team if they want a all zerker group that is the groups choice, if you don’t meet that requirement how can you consider that selfish. They are playing their way your playing yours… dont be a hypocrite.

No gear does not attribute to skill, however if you have skill there is no need for anything but faster dps, because skill > gear survive, however the same cant be said about dps skill < dps. If you are skilled you can’t dps faster if your gear isn’t for it. However if you are skilled you can mitigate damage with said skill thus removing the need for defensive gear.

What is the difference between a guard that is plinking a boss for 400 a hit maybe 800 or so on crit vs a guard that is providing the same buffs to the party but hitting 3 times as hard? Since there is no tanking in this game, there are no roles there is really no reason to have gear like that in a pve setting. Because you are now playing selfishly one could say by slowing the run down… im not talking about speed running im talking about runs that should take 10 minutes taking an hour because the group is all geared or stated poorly.

And playstyle in gw2 consists of auto attacking 90% of the time. Just saying. If you want to do that for 10 – 15 minutes on a boss vs 1 minute, then cool… find others like that I guess .

Again im not saying l2p zerker or gtfo, im saying anything but that is really a waste of time in many peoples eyes. And if someone creates a group and says thats who they want in your group then thats their choice and you saying its selfish is equally ignorant. Thats like deciding you dont want to be with a certain boy and them telling you its selfish and childish and they should want to be with you just because.

(edited by Namu.5712)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

Again im not saying l2p zerker or gtfo, im saying anything but that is really a waste of time in many peoples eyes. And if someone creates a group and says thats who they want in your group then thats their choice and you saying its selfish is equally ignorant. Thats like deciding you dont want to be with a certain boy and them telling you its selfish and childish and they should want to be with you just because.

Well, that’s how it still comes across. It seems you are convinced that that’s the way to play, or else you are being “selfish” and slowing the group down-which I couldn’t disagree with more.

I don’t care about those groups, I leave them to their ignorance and don’t join them to then complain about being kicked. I just don’t believe discrimination is justified by the need for speed of a few (and there are many Professions which can do things just as fast and are often still not given a chance, for instance, because people conform to a meta). I rather have all those groups note what they want to avoid them in the first place (easy giveaways of crummy attitude groups: “no noobs, this or that profession only, zerk only,” etc.)

I still believe that saying that GW2 must be played “zerk way or the highway” is childish and short-sighted. Ironically, it’s basically not knowing the game well to understand that it was built on principles of freedom of gameplay choice and cooperation. You said there’s no “I” in team, but there’s IS a strong “I” in violating someone’s right to NOT choose Berserker’s gear. Someone else’s “I” got in the way, making many speedrun videos, these became popular, and now many use the popular stuff. It is the “I” of the few getting in the way of real teamplay: players cooperating together in whatever gear is more comfortable to them.

To be honest, I would feel pretty selfish if I demanded my groups to have a specific stat gear requirement, because I honestly am not them, and don’t feel I have the right to choose what’s best for their playstyle. Am I selfish for wanting everybody to thrive doing things their way in harmony with each other?

What nobody has dared to counter is: if there’s no other better way to play GW2 other than with Berserker’s, why is there so much choice in the game. ANet trolling us, not wanting us to find salvation in “zerk” gear’s arms? I wish a game designer would just make an official comment on these issues: I am sure their stance is that they want to provide for many alternative playstyles rather than just high risk/high reward.

Let’s just agree to forever disagree.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

Personally i kick:

Any guardian that claims to be dps built with points in honor since elusive power adds less that 2% dps and empowering might has kittenty range and almost never hits the team in fractals and adds less than 5% dps.

Any guardian that cant maintain 10-12 stacks of might on their own

Any guardian that plays any other weapon than gs, scepter and 1h sword + focus and torch.

Any guardian that havent got retreat on the cast bar.

Any guardian that havent got renewed focus as their elite.

Any guardian that havent got scholar runes in the armor

Any guardian that isnt using food appropriate to the mobs we are facing.

Any guardian that doesnt swap weapons every 10th second.

Why? Because they slow the team down.

Sarcasm off.

@OP

Pvt or berserkers are both fine and as foofad points out pvt has the highest potential when it comes to power (the best dps enhancer we have) and if its combined with with the proper food and build it can do very nicely in any type of content.

10/30/30/0/0 and use berserker weapons and a couple of valkyrie pieces in the armor and maybe berserker rings.

Why not something like this:
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/guardian/?3.0|c.1g.h2.f.1g.h1h|b.1g.h1.d.1g.h1h|1c.77.1c.77.1c.a7.1c.79.1c.79.1c.a7|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1c.67.1c.67.1c.67|a2.u000.u46c.0.0|2e.1|w.z.15.13.1i|e

Just learn to swap weapon every 10th second and you will have over 5k effective power with pvt armor and great sustain thru monks focus and the ability to keep the target burning with voj, judges intervention and purging flames. Swap purging flames needed for the specific encounter.

Only an idiot would kick you in a pug if you know how to play this one.

Edit: Only idiots kick in pugs btw, if they cant handle to have random builds they shouldnt pug in the first place.

(edited by Brutaly.6257)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: subclavian.5839

subclavian.5839

If DPS zerker is the only way and support/tank are for noobs, why does the guardian class even exist? Other classes have way more DPS than a guardian can ever hope to achieve.

Better yet, why not petition Anet to eliminate all classes but one, all armor but one, all weapons but one, and all traits but the ones that contribute to max DPS? No more confusion for noobs, no more selfish players. Everyone is exactly the same with the best build and max DPS.

(edited by subclavian.5839)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: maladikt.2180

maladikt.2180

You can’t say: “Everyone has a right to choose how to play” and right after that condemn people who want full zerk/DPS party in their dungeon run.

IMO you have 2 goals while playing. Have fun and succeed in what you are doing (in a reasonable amount of time). Some people enjoy having little space for making mistakes and doing content in fastest way possible without dying. Some people enjoy being the only one to survive the battle and laughing at their team mates for being dead. You can and should be able to choose to play how ever you want, but in regard to their effectiveness that choices aren’t necessarily equal.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

If DPS zerker is the only way and support/tank are for noobs, why does the guardian class even exist? Other classes have way more DPS than a guardian can ever hope to achieve.

So you don’t think providing your group with control (hammer/staff #5), reflection, aegis, might, protection, regeneration, stability, retaliation and cleansing is supporting? Support doesn’t always means that you have to sit in the back healing while nobody can kill you (and you can’t kill anything), i’ve always played as a tank/guardian archetype and to be honest i have no problems with having high dps while actually supporting and not just tanking or sitting in the back thinking i’m being helpful, even if i am not.

… And if you think that guardians can’t dps… well i suppose even if you don’t understand the games mechanics you still have the right to voice your opinion, oh well.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

(edited by Oxxy.7068)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

You can’t say: “Everyone has a right to choose how to play” and right after that condemn people who want full zerk/DPS party in their dungeon run.

IMO you have 2 goals while playing. Have fun and succeed in what you are doing (in a reasonable amount of time). Some people enjoy having little space for making mistakes and doing content in fastest way possible without dying. Some people enjoy being the only one to survive the battle and laughing at their team mates for being dead. You can and should be able to choose to play how ever you want, but in regard to their effectiveness that choices aren’t necessarily equal.

You missed the point-I am not against groups using Berserker’s, but more against intolerance and mob/meta mentality (“you are supposed to do what works for others and is as fast as possible”-not all players subscribe to that playstyle, and not everyone must do what everybody else does because it’s popular and supposedly “effective”). I don’t join speedclear groups-they are entitled to their “fun”, but it’s not for me. Berserker’s is fine, and so IS everything else that may work for a particular player.

I can play with any type of person, Berserker’s or Giver’s, I honestly don’t care. All are welcome in my groups. It is Berserker’s groups that tend to reject others (to be fair, the Berserker’s player will do better with other Berserker’s, as otherwise he/she will probably die at some point-they are all about killing it before it kills you, which is part of the playstyle’s problem for many players.) Wouldn’t mind using full Berserker’s gear myself, save I wouldn’t be comfortable for the most part-especially because role-playing wise, it really doesn’t fit many (though not all) of my characters.

Sure, power players and speed runners don’t care about RP, but I do. So I am a “baddie” by all elitist’s accounts. I don’t give a darn, as I painstakingly theorycraft my builds in many, many ways; just generally not for max damage, but rather balancing many other factors (GW2 is not only about direct damage, as evident in the great choice we have for gearing our characters.)

Take no offense, as none was intended. I don’t get angry at Berserker’s, it’s all about unfair discrimination for me, and not that the gear is bad by itself.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

So you don’t think providing your group with control (hammer/staff #5), reflection, aegis, might, protection, regeneration, stability, retaliation and cleansing is supporting? Support doesn’t always means that you have to sit in the back healing while nobody can kill you (and you can’t kill anything), i’ve always played as a tank/guardian archetype and to be honest i have no problems with having high dps while actually supporting and not just tanking or sitting in the back thinking i’m being helpful, even if i am not.

… And if you think that guardians can’t dps… well i suppose even if you don’t understand the games mechanics you still have the right to voice your opinion, oh well.

I said this many months back, but I have to repeat it: who said that not using Berserker’s gear means that the Guardian will stand in the back, pretending to heal and doing no damage? I have NEVER encountered such a Guardian player in the game, whether he specced for damage, healing, support, or whatever. Don’t make it all or nothing, full DPS or you are not contributing, because that’s utterly false.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

subclavian.5839

My question was rhetorical. Of course guardians support. If you are using hammer/staff instead of GS, you are already making the conscious choice of sacrificing DPS for more support.

Even if you were able to prove beyond all doubt that your way is the only right way to play this game, it would be a very boring game if everyone ended up with the exact same build and exact same equipment.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

My question was rhetorical. Of course guardians support. If you are using hammer/staff instead of GS, you are already making the conscious choice of sacrificing DPS for more support.

Even if you were able to prove beyond all doubt that your way is the only right way to play this game, it would be a very boring game if everyone ended up with the exact same build and exact same equipment.

I never said my way is the only way, but my way is most likely the most effective way.
For all i care you can enter dungeons with runes of melandru and shaman gear or do WvW in zerk stuff with scholar runes, you’re playing your game, not mine, just don’t think you’re in any way being effective at that.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Xystus.3241

Xystus.3241

Simply put:

PVE – DPS – Full Zerker
PVE – Anchoring – Knights Armor/Weapon, Zerker trinkets.

Xyssi – Asura Guardian
Xystus Furtim – Human Theif
Server: Stormbluff Ilse

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

subclavian.5839

@Oxxy:
Since your very first post in this thread was to refute mine, I have no idea what “your way” is (I gather it has something to do with hammers and staff?). If you think your way is the most effective way, then good for you!

I do take issue with people that try to force everyone to play the game their way. Accusing people of selfishness for not dressing in full zerker, requiring armor checks and achievement points to run dungeons, kicking non-DPS builds etc is simply raising the barrier of entry and making things needlessly difficult, imho.

(edited by subclavian.5839)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

I do take issue with people that try to force everyone to play the game their way. Accusing people of selfishness for not dressing in full zerker, requiring armor checks and achievement points to run dungeons, kicking non-DPS builds etc is simply raising the barrier of entry and making things needlessly difficult, imho.

Hit the nail right on the head there.

You can take the raid out of the game but you can’t take the raid mentality out of the player it seems. Oh noes-you’re in pvt; now we’ll take a full 5 minutes longer on the dungeon run! Those 5 minutes will put me at a great disadvantage 2hours from now, 3 days from now, 1 month from now, 1 year from now-be sure I will be worse off and you’ll be the sole reason. I suggest stop arguing with these types of ppl-the thought process of someone who believes that is obviously immature, and due to the anonymous and safe nature of the internet it festers arrogance of epic proportions. Maybe when they grow up they’ll realize how silly they were, but for now let the kids be kids….because you can’t do anything to an immature mind on the internet anyway-noway to show them reason.

Also, how silly would it seem for you to be seen arguing with a child in real life? So why bother arguing with them in the internet? They will (most of them….I hope) grow out of it in time.

Regarding OP: personally I like knights armor, zerker weapons with variable trinkets depending on the class for my ‘one set to rule them all’

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

(edited by Imbune.5497)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

all around? Knight armour, zerk trinkets

This guy speaks the truth. Plus, you can actually live in WvW. Full zerker in PvE is if you know every fight, and you have people around you that know what they are doing. Knights gives you just enough staying power to help you learn all the fights, and survive outmanned WvW encounters.

Also… I think 2 of the best balanced rune choices for the Guardian: 2xsuperior Monk, 2xSuperior Water 2x major Wate for boon duration is very useful to you and those around you. The other is pure soldier runes but they are only good if you run shouts.

(edited by Bhima.9518)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: idzuna.8013

idzuna.8013

Plus, you can actually live in WvW. Full zerker in PvE is if you know every fight, and you have people around you that know what they are doing. Knights gives you just enough staying power to help you learn all the fights, and survive outmanned WvW encounters.

Also… I think 2 of the best balanced rune choices for the Guardian: 2xsuperior Monk, 2xSuperior Water 2x major Wate for boon duration is very useful to you and those around you. The other is pure soldier runes but they are only good if you run shouts.

I strongly agree with all of this. In my experience, Knight’s armor is the way to go. Is it the very best, most efficient choice for every possible situation? Certainly not, but for someone like me who enjoys doing a bit of everything (PvE, dungeons, fractals, WvW) it is easily the best choice. Berserker makes sense if you’re staring down the highest level fractals where everything is an instant down and no manner of vitality or toughness will mitigate any of it, but for me every other situation is best handled with Knight’s.

I don’t have to worry about getting a bad random dungeon group, I don’t have to worry about wasting space to carry an entire extra set of armor for WvW, I can just do whatever and I always have decent survivability and, at least with Berserker trinkets along with it, still hit extremely hard. I would rather have the freedom to do all of these things and be self-sustainable rather than have a marginally higher damage output and have to micro-manage my groups and gear.

Just my personal take on it.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Grumwulf.9602

Grumwulf.9602

I took a mix of PVT and Berserker. I took the PVT initially as I could get it for karma. I have it with expensive skins so I decided to keep boot, legs and chest PVT and just build around that with either Berserker, for DPS, Cleric or more PVT for WvW or maybe some knights for being more tanky.

Regarding the kicking argument I only really think people might deserve a kick if you advertised for a speed run and got a tank. I mean theres nothing intrinsic about running dungeons that demands efficiency. I personally like to take my time but then again I do dungeons just the once if I can help it. Slowing down speed runners isnt on really but neither is assuming speed running is the norm that all must adhere to.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

So now you deserve to be kicked from a dungeon/fractal if you’re not a great sword-wielding Warrior, Guardian, or Mesmer in full Berserker’s exotic gear with ascended trinkets and a cookiecuttter build who is willing to skip all cut scenes.

Great attitude, indeed.

Of course! In fact, it’s just warriors and (only one) mesmer; Guardians are not master class.

Back on topic, you won’t go wrong with zerker in PvE in most content. Later you can just get enough to have both.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Knigh Armor + Zerker Tinkets. Best dmg + defense for most situations.

Sorry for my english.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Theres nothing wrong with playing whatever you want in random groups. But the problem is many people play those builds at the expensive of those they are playing with. Most pugs are notoriously bad because of this. That is selfish. To ruin other peoples gaming experience just because you refuse to play in a way that is most beneficial to the team in a team environment. You can play however you like and build however you like. But keep in mind how you are affecting the players around you.

Claiming that PVT and MF gear isnt leeching is just downright ignorant. I have no problem with players using PVT if they are learning the game and need that safety net. But taking it just because they want to be lazy with dodges and have no interest in becoming a better player is purely selfish and far more toxic behaviour than so called “elitists”.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

Theres nothing wrong with playing whatever you want in random groups. But the problem is many people play those builds at the expensive of those they are playing with. Most pugs are notoriously bad because of this. That is selfish. To ruin other peoples gaming experience just because you refuse to play in a way that is most beneficial to the team in a team environment. You can play however you like and build however you like. But keep in mind how you are affecting the players around you.

Claiming that PVT and MF gear isnt leeching is just downright ignorant. I have no problem with players using PVT if they are learning the game and need that safety net. But taking it just because they want to be lazy with dodges and have no interest in becoming a better player is purely selfish and far more toxic behaviour than so called “elitists”.

Of course, assuming you are running CoF, wich hardly is challenging.

Having a PVT/Knights in a group and instances that requires solid control (yes, you do get aggro with higher tough) is extremly needed.

For example, when we did Aetherblade Retreat, being able to tank and control the whole fight, while cleansing and healing, pretty much made it far better.

Same goes with harder instances like Arah: a pvt/knight is doing some good dps (but not best), keeping mobs on him, keeping everyone buffed (hammer + self built symbol + blast), walls and of course, controls.

Well, there are bad PUGs indeed, and running that for COF 1 is problematic, but generalizing ignoring “tanking” needs for good runs on hard instances (and therefore not as popular) is just silly.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Having a PVT/Knights in a group and instances that requires solid control (yes, you do get aggro with higher tough) is extremly needed.

For example, when we did Aetherblade Retreat, being able to tank and control the whole fight, while cleansing and healing, pretty much made it far better.

Same goes with harder instances like Arah: a pvt/knight is doing some good dps (but not best), keeping mobs on him, keeping everyone buffed (hammer + self built symbol + blast), walls and of course, controls.

Well, there are bad PUGs indeed, and running that for COF 1 is problematic, but generalizing ignoring “tanking” needs for good runs on hard instances (and therefore not as popular) is just silly.

This post just shows your inexperience. I run beserker in every dungeon with no issues. I ran a beserker guardian in Aetherblade aswell with 1 other dps guard + 2 zerk warriors and 1 zerk mesmer. We stormed the dungeon and got the time gated achievement very easily. The majority of cof zerker players are just bad pugs who dont know how to dodge. You dont need to dodge anything in cof. But zerker is still the best gear stat for all dungeons and even fractals. You have dodges, blinds and aegis for a reason, why sacrifice dps for a stat you dont need?

(edited by spoj.9672)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

This post just shows your inexperience. I run beserker in every dungeon with no issues. I ran a beserker guardian in Aetherblade aswell with 1 other dps guard + 2 zerk warriors and 1 zerk mesmer. We stormed the dungeon and got the time gated achievement very easily. The majority of cof zerker players are just bad pugs who dont know how to dodge. You dont need to dodge anything in cof. But zerker is still the best gear stat for all dungeons and even fractals. You have dodges, blinds and aegis for a reason, why sacrifice dps for a stat you dont need?

Ask ANet why are the options there. Ask them if it’s “selfish” to use Soldier’s gear.

You, sir, are the only one being selfish in your comments. Why must everybody see things your way, and how pretending such a thing isn’t selfish?

In short, just because you prefer full DPS for the whole game doesn’t mean others must believe and do similarly, and to deny them the right to be and play like themselves is the ultimate manifestation of ego and selfishness (“thou shalt play as I do, or else be a baddie!”)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

Claiming that PVT and MF gear isn’t leeching is just downright ignorant. I have no problem with players using PVT if they are learning the game and need that safety net. But taking it just because they want to be lazy with dodges and have no interest in becoming a better player is purely selfish and far more toxic behaviour than so called “elitists”.

You know you are one of them, that’s why you have a need to defend the attitude.

The irony in your comment is that ignorance begets intolerance, which is precisely what you are doing while accusing others of being “ignorant” for not subscribing to your exclusivist views (Soldier’s has never been “leeching”, and to be honest, MF never was either, contrary to popular opinion.)

ANet, who chose to appease you MF gear haters, ignored that the attitude would spread to any and all other gear stats that aren’t “meta”. The problem was never the gear but playing with the wrong attitude. You very well know it’s not about moral issues (“selfishness”) but about getting done with your speed run as soon as possible. You don’t care about the group or “all for one, one for all”-it’s all about your goals.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Clumsy.6257

Claiming that PVT and MF gear isn’t leeching is just downright ignorant. I have no problem with players using PVT if they are learning the game and need that safety net. But taking it just because they want to be lazy with dodges and have no interest in becoming a better player is purely selfish and far more toxic behaviour than so called “elitists”.

You know you are one of them, that’s why you have a need to defend the attitude.

The irony in your comment is that ignorance begets intolerance, which is precisely what you are doing while accusing others of being “ignorant” for not subscribing to your exclusivist views (Soldier’s has never been “leeching”, and to be honest, MF never was either, contrary to popular opinion.)

ANet, who chose to appease you MF gear haters, ignored that the attitude would spread to any and all other gear stats that aren’t “meta”. The problem was never the gear but playing with the wrong attitude. You very well know it’s not about moral issues (“selfishness”) but about getting done with your speed run as soon as possible. You don’t care about the group or “all for one, one for all”-it’s all about your goals.

imo using anything except berserkers is selfish, but more importantly what you’ve failed to consider is that anet came out and said that using mf gear is intentionally hurting your party for personal gain, in fact theyre removing all MF armors sometime this year, after anets and countless players proving time and time again thakittens pure selfishness to use MF arguing against it is pure stupidity

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Star Ace.5207

imo using anything except berserkers is selfish, but more importantly what you’ve failed to consider is that anet came out and said that using mf gear is intentionally hurting your party for personal gain, in fact theyre removing all MF armors sometime this year, after anets and countless players proving time and time again thakittens pure selfishness to use MF arguing against it is pure stupidity

No, they said that to appease YOU. That was the point of my post. They failed to consider that people with your mentality will think that ANYTHING that isn’t meta is “selfish”; it wasn’t about MF gear, but about ill-placed elitism.

Read yourself above, and see if it’s about moral issues, or your elitism/exclusivism. And ask ANet whether your statement is true: “anything but Berserker’s is selfish”-isn’t that more “sheer stupidity” (your words, I hate insulting others when they disagree with me)?

I cannot take you seriously, honestly, if that’s what you really think, and I would never party with you ever, even if I had the “meta” gear. People who don’t know me have no right to call me selfish because I won’t play the way they want me to play “for the group” (i.e., for their own selfish, speedclear agenda.)