Guardian, a good choice or not?

in Guardian

Posted by: Gintokikun.9342

Gintokikun.9342

Hello y’all.

Ive been playing GW2 for quite a time.

I have an ele and a mesmer. Just two because I really love these two classes.

The thing is, will I like Guardian? Guard and War were always the professions that I tried not to play since so many people use them. But I think I might need some change of play, and diversity.

So, before I make my decision I have some questions:

Will Guardian keep being good after the patch?

Whats the main diff between guard and war?

Can Guard use SS? If yes is it a good weapon set? The thing is I love SS, it just looks really cool!

Just tell me why you think Guard might be a good choice.

Thank you very much!

in Guardian

Posted by: Storm Valkyrie.9471

Storm Valkyrie.9471

Guardians are great fun and useful in a lot of situations, dungeons, wvw, group fights, just in general good to have.

Main difference between guardians and warriors is that guardians have to try a lot harder when it comes to survival. They are most effective as support and part of a team. Not so much 1v1.

Guardians can’t use SS but you shouldn’t discount them for that, they are still awesome with the weapons they have available.

in Guardian

Gintokikun.9342

I see…

Is there any weapon set with sword for Guards?

Is Guard good for pve? Cause first I need to lvl up shah

Could you give me like some or one build, in which they all have a sword in it??

Thanks for the reply so far.

in Guardian

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

I see…

Is there any weapon set with sword for Guards?

Is Guard good for pve? Cause first I need to lvl up shah

Could you give me like some or one build, in which they all have a sword in it??

Thanks for the reply so far.

The Guard is really good in PvE, but only in situations in which you really care for a kiter (like in Snowblind fractal or AC p2) and reflects.

The current meta of Guardian, fortunately for you, revolves around GS, Hammer, minor Staff, and a lot of Sword/Focus.

in Guardian

Gintokikun.9342

Hm…. So a good weapon set would be gs + s/f

in Guardian

xallever.1874

Hm…. So a good weapon set would be gs + s/f

Yes. Or replace the GS with Hammer. Or go GS/Hammer.

The hammer is there for gd utility when no better alternative is around. Thankfully, it also has a decent DPS.

(edited by xallever.1874)

in Guardian

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

what is your primary game mode? WvW, PvP, PvE?

in Guardian

Gintokikun.9342

PVE

And sometime WvW (only sometimes, just to have fun with guild)

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Guardians are GREAT in PVE, and simply fantastic in WvW.

Love my guard.

PVE GS+S/F and GS+Hammer are what I use for the DPS side of things. You can go more defensive and supporty if you want, just not the meta so yeah… it has it’s uses though(my main group runs 1 support guard + rest zerker, and we love it), just lots of hate on it on the forums and not something I’d personally bring into a PUG

For a build, just look at the stickied “dps guard” post by Obal, that’ll get you some good offensive builds. For defensive ones, 0/0/30/30/10, or flip it for 0/0/10/30/30, lots of good options in both of those builds for traits at least for a defensive build.

WvW, honestly bring a staff and win, at least in the zerg. When you get into other situations, or roaming, then you can start playing around, just nothing is as amazing as guardian staff in a zerg, the loot bags rain down.

I have other characters, I bought a char slot, but i keep just wanting to play my guard =)

in Guardian

Gintokikun.9342

So for PVE dungeons and that kind of thing you would say GS+S/F?

And WvW staff?

in Guardian

xallever.1874

And WvW staff?

Guardian has many viable builds in general and is probably the most balanced profession out there.

So in WvW, a lot of people go Staff because it’s very easy to tag, gives a really gd support. It’s possible to run hammer, mace+shield, etc. Really depends on which build you’re after.

in Guardian

Gintokikun.9342

DPS I would say?

And be tough and viable when in dungeons and fractals with ppl?

And gold ofc

in Guardian

Jerus.4350

And WvW staff?

Personally speaking, I go GS+S/F(or staff if needed) for my damage setup. And Hammer+Staff(or GS if needed) for my support setup.

I say if needed up there as every weapon you have brings some utility.

Staff- 1- cone AE (why it’s great for wvw), 2- healing and range damage, 3- swiftness and damage, 4- healing/might stacking, 5 – inturrupts on incoming, very useful actually

GS- 1- auto attack, not terrible not great 2- best damage ability I believe, 3- blind/leap, 4- damage symbol, 5- pulls and damage

Sword – 1- auto attack damage is the best we have when traited, 2- blind/teleport, 3- personal projectile wall/projectile launcher

Mace – 1- auto attack’s third hit heals, 2- symbol for healing, 3- block with protection if the block isn’t triggered.

Hammer – 1 auto attack gives protection which is great, 2 – Blast finisher, 3- Immobilize, 4- knockback, 5- ring of warding, like staff 5 but a circle.

Scepter – 1- longest range so really only viable true range weapon as staff is limited on range, 2 – damage field, 3- immobilize, very good one.

So overall each weapon has it’s uses. For Damage you basically do GS and rotate it’s skills then swap to hammer or S/F for their auto attack.

But even if you have your choices on primary weapon having the full set of options is IMO beneficial.

I’ll swap my staff on to give swiftness or especially for Twilight Arbor as it just has so many benefits (more than many realize). AC spider area is also very nice to have a staff, makes poping the queen easy if you wanted to get her in one go.

When I am in support I’ll swap in a GS just for the pull at times.

Mace is great for that fire fractal boss.

I pull out Scepter if we range the dredge cart in SE (we usually don’t anymore), or if we range the last boss of HoTW (again we don’t usually anymore, i VERY rarely use scepter hehe).

My point being, don’t get stuck in one weapon when the utility of another would help the given situation. Remember your namesake, guardian, you aren’t one of the selfish DPS running full signets or something, you’re a guardian, your there for the skills you provide, the reflect walls, the stability, the lines of warding, the blinds, the swiftness, the aegis, the heals, the pulls, and then finally the damage =)

But, yeah GS + S/F is the main setup for damage, so the ones you’d roll with most of the time.

And staff for sure in WvW, i’ve tried other weapons, and while they’d be good outside of the zerg, I generally just play in the zerg usually

in Guardian

Jerus.4350

Sorry for the novel up there, but saw your other post, remember you’re in the lowest health category, as a full zerk guard you’re passively very squishy but you have more active defensive tools than most anyone else. So it’s difficult but you can do it, and there’s a lot of possible tweaks to get a lot more survival for little dips in damage.

Full Zerk with the GS+S/F meta build, you’re looking at IIRC it was 10800 hp. It’s tough. But its’ doable. And if you find it’s just not doable, you can swap in a hammer, and focus a bit in the honor tree to bump that health up. Or you could consider valkyrie or knight gear, and basically there’s a lot of substitutes you can make if you feel it’s necessary, though ideally you don’t want to as the idea is to kill things as fast as possible so they can only do their big mechanic moves once or twice.

in Guardian

Gintokikun.9342

It was not a novel, it was really enlightening to be honest!

You just made me choose a guard over a war

in Guardian

Gintokikun.9342

Btw, what stats should I look for?

Power + crit? or what?

in Guardian

Jerus.4350

Glad I could help =), I’ve always liked being the more supporty type class so it fits me well. I made a warrior today, but I’m quite sure it’ll end up like my thief and mesmer, used only when I need the things they can do but my guard can’t… which isn’t much.

Stat wise, Power, Precision, Crit Damage, those are the big damage ones. Vitality and Toughness aren’t bad, but gear wise Berserker is the main choice with is the first three, it’s just a bit squishy.

in Guardian

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

<3 Guardian, I can and will do any content with her.

For PvE, Berserker gear.

in Guardian

Posted by: Guyver.1426

Guyver.1426

It can be roughly estimated that the most easiest class to be killed in wvw zerg is Guardian. I don’t know what builds they are going. However, many of them are wearing in 80 lvl armor sets. And I just going for defensive build, so damage is not high.

(edited by Guyver.1426)

in Guardian

Posted by: Zahl.8564

Zahl.8564

Personally, I love my Guardian. Sure, damage on my mesmer is better, but the playstyle of my AH-specced Guardian suits me way better. My survivability-rate is much better in both PvE and WvW when I play my Guardian. I have always preferred support-roles in MMOs and for me the Guardian is superior to the Mesmer, mostly because of the playstyle. Solo-content is also easier compared to the Mesmer. My guess is that I like my Guardian better because I am getting older, slower and lazier

in Guardian

Gintokikun.9342

Guyver, you’re saying guard isn’t good for wvwvw?

If that’s the thing I won’t be that sad ahah.

I want a money maker and a completely different class to what I’m used to. (Ele and mesm).

I hope I like it!

With my GS+Sf

in Guardian

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Guardian is fine in WvW, also staff is pretty kitten good for farming stuff where there are lots of trash mobs.